The Coronation of King Charles III and Queen Camilla, 6 May 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh Im sure that the nay sayers will find things to attack in William, in due course.

I came across this interview with Penny mordaunt about her role in the coronation

When would such a picture have been able to be taken?

The royals who attended the coronation service at the Abbey didn't go back to the palace.

The royals who attended the reception on the Friday night weren't all the same ones who went to the Abbey on the Saturday.

Saturday was also quite a morning-early afternoon:

Charles and Camilla travelled from CH to BP about 9.30 a.m. and then left BP at 10.20 a.m. and returned just after 1.00 p.m. They were on the balcony by 1.30 p.m. and back inside the palace for pictures and lunch by 2.00 p.m. They were on their way from the palace, from what I have heard by about 3.30 p.m.

That gives them about 90 minutes for the photos, lunch and speeches. Lunch was for family only as I understand it.

Frankly if I were Charles and read this stuff, I would walk.

I very much hope the many people worldwide who happen to look unattractive, unglamorous, unathletic or aged, most of whom are much less shielded than the British head of state, will see after their own mental health as they read the sort of reactions to the king's looks that are omnipresent on social media and forums.

Another thing the new photo, which includes Camilla and her two ‘attendants’, has reminded me about is that the Queen didn’t wear any bracelets and the two ladies had no headdresses . I’m quite surprised by the Queen having bare wrists, given the sleeves of her dress were quite short and there were coronation bracelets she could have worn following her crowning. As for the attendants, I assume Charles’ no tiara rule ruled out any small jewelled ornamentation in the hair too.

I very much hope the many people worldwide who happen to look unattractive, unglamorous, unathletic or aged, most of whom are much less shielded than the British head of state, will see after their own mental health as they read the sort of reactions to the king's looks that are omnipresent on social media and forums.

My own comment wasn't aimed at their looks. I said a pantomime because IMO they have to gravitas as a King and Queen and, to what I imagine is the vast majority in the UK, she especially is not wanted in her role. I don't even understand how the Cof E were able to crown Camilla when they didn't even marry the pair of them, it was only blessed because her first husband is still alive.

Who says she is not wanted by the vast majority?

There is room for improvement in the official images.

But I think a lot depends on where one looks. As a live screenshot I thought this had all the gravitas required.

Maybe a darker shade of purple would have been better. Across all portraits, the tunic takes different shades. Anyway, stuff to note down for the next Coronation.

Exactly, if they feel the need to wear such a tunic, I recommend a much darker shade of purple for the next coronation.

Unfortunately, while I very much enjoyed the solemnity of the whole ceremony. Charles does look a bit clownesk wearing the crown, a light purple tunic, the regalia and his robe. The purpose would be for him to look majestic I assume but imho that was much better achieved by, for example, Willem-Alexander at his inauguration.

Who says Camilla is not wanted by the vast majority? Every opinion poll says something different, and they don't really mean anything anyway. She hasn't done a single thing wrong in 18 years of being married to Charles, and it's clear that she makes him happy.

Neither of them score highly on glamour and star quality, but not everyone can be like that. George VI was the same, and he was a very successful and popular king.

Who says Camilla is not wanted by the vast majority? Every opinion poll says something different, and they don't really mean anything anyway. She hasn't done a single thing wrong in 18 years of being married to Charles, and it's clear that she makes him happy.

Neither of them score highly on glamour and star quality, but not everyone can be like that. George VI was the same, and he was a very successful and popular king.

The opinion polls show that she has a net favorability rating that is close to zero, i.e. roughly as many people have a favorable as an unfavorable opinion of her.

So I think it is fair to say that she is not particularly popular although it might be a stretch to say that the vast majority don’t want her.

Last edited:
A video released by Kensington Palace about theCoronation weekend.

A video about Ms. Mordaunt, who actually needed a training regimen to prepare for her role at the Coronation:

Well for the purposes of this thread I'm saying it.

Just came across a video of the Queen of Thailand...oh my goodness she is completely blinged out! My draw dropped when I saw the amount of jewelry she wore.

Interestingly she managed to wear all that jewelry elegantly without it looking too much or too gaudy.

It feels like they’ve stepped up their videos/social media. They’re very well done.

That's the third time this video is posted. I first posted it in the other coronation topic (as it is only for a small part about the coronation itself), next it was posted in the Prince and Princess of Wales topic and now it's here as well (or was it moved from there to here?) :flowers:

I guess it's rather popular - even though it isn't that much 'behind the scenes'.

Last edited:
That's the third time this video is posted. I first posted it in the other coronation topic (as it is only for a small part about the coronation itself), next it was posted in the Prince and Princess of Wales topic and now it's here as well (or was it moved from there to here?) :flowers:

I guess it's rather popular - even though it isn't that much 'behind the scenes'.

It was moved here by the moderators .

I agree with Erin that the video was professionally made, which shows that the Waleses are really stepping up their social media game.

Last edited:
It was moved here by the moderators .

I agree with Erin that the video was professionally made, which shows that the Waleses are really stepping up their social media game.

I suppose my response would be better placed in the Wales/Duchy of Cornwall sub-forum, but I've been thinking that William/Catherine have, in general, been stepping up their game on all fronts this year and couldn't help wondering if William's unfettered access and control of the Duchy of Cornwall funds is the reason.

I suppose my response would be better placed in the Wales/Duchy of Cornwall sub-forum, but I've been thinking that William/Catherine have, in general, been stepping up their game on all fronts this year and couldn't help wondering if William's unfettered access and control of the Duchy of Cornwall funds is the reason.

Access to funds could be partially driving it, but I also think being THE heir is just a different thing compared to: the heir’s heir. Saying he’s the Prince of Wales and what that automatically conveys, the gravitas, is just different. IOW- it’s just time to step things up.

But- yeah- we may be going OT.

I have read that the queen prepared for the coronation and the heavy crown by wearing it to develop muscles. I was shocked at the posture and gait of both C&C and have actually been shocked at how poorly they’ve aged in recent years. They have had 8 months to prepare and they are not ancient! Many their age stand straighter and walk well, the DOE and late QEIi come quickly to mind not to mention the Swedish kings who are older and certainly Queen Sonia of Norway and Q Sofia of Spain, etc Recovering from a knee injury myself, I see how 20-30 minutes a day makes a difference,at any age.

Last edited:
As someone who has a bad back, it looked to me like both Charles and Camilla were dealing with back issues at the Coronation, especially The Queen. She looked physically uncomfortable at times, and there was speculation that was the reason she did not kneel at the altar to be anointed and crowned as previous Queens Consort have done.

I have read that the queen prepared for the coronation and the heavy crown by wearing it to develop muscles. I was shocked at the posture and gait of both C&C and have actually been shocked at how poorly they’ve aged in recent years. They have had 8 months to prepare and they are not ancient! Many their age stand straighter and walk well, the DOE and late QEIi come quickly to mind not to mention the Swedish kings who are older and certainly Queen Sonia of Norway and Q Sofia of Spain, etc Recovering from a knee injury myself, I see how 20-30 minutes a day makes a difference,at any age.
perhaps yuou should accept that they are older people and cannot control how well they age, like all of us

It seems the dresscode for royal guests was set at formal white daywear (long dress), like the British royal ladies wore, the traditional court dress. For the Coronation Queen Máxima ordered a floor length white gown with her favourite couturier for long robes: Jan Taminiau.

At a later stage it - unexpectedly- became known the dresscode was no longer a floor length white gown but "just" formal daywear without a set colour. Jan Taminiau had to take the scissors and cut 40cm off Queen Máxima's completely finished gorgeous white gown! So is to see in a "making of" instagram post. See @jantaminiau

This means we have missed all royal ladies in long white robes.

Last edited:
Where did thd foreign royals go after the service?

It seems the dresscode for royal guests was set at formal white daywear (long dress), like the British royal ladies wore, the traditional court dress. For the Coronation Queen Máxima ordered a floor length white gown with her favourite couturier for long robes: Jan Taminiau.

At a later stage it - unexpectedly- became known the dresscode was no longer a floor length white gown but "just" formal daywear without a set colour. Jan Taminiau had to take the scissors and cut 40cm off Queen Máxima's completely finished gorgeous white gown! So is to see in a "making of" instagram post. See @jantaminiau

This means we have missed all royal ladies in long white robes.

That's interesting but a rather weird change - and as can be seen in this case, also very inconvenient for the guests that had already ordered dresses to be made for this occasion.

For me the most interesting was that apparently the dresscode initially more formal than it later turned out. So the first rumours of a similar dresscode as in Tokyo or Amsterdam indeed were true.

Back
Top Bottom