Charles III: Coronation Information and Musings - Part 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is nice...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-65495580

"The King has recorded an announcement for railway stations across the UK in which he reminds us to "mind the gap".
The recording, made at Highgrove earlier this year by Transport for London (TfL), can also be heard on the London Underground until Monday."

I hope to see more than one tiara for the Coronation. Even the Ladies-in-Waiting and House of Lords’ spouses wore tiaras for the Opening of Parliament. And correct me if I am wrong, but I think guests with tiaras can wear them for State Banquets and Diplomatic Receptions? But for the Coronation, not even for senior royals, not at the church or a fancy dinner??? I understand focusing on the King/Queen, scaling it down, and inviting the common folks, but don’t do less than lesser events.

I feel the same way.
I don't see the point of even having a Coronation, if there's no pomp and pageantry.

If that's going to be the case, why not just do like other monarchies and not bother with the ceremony at all?

I feel the same way.
I don't see the point of even having a Coronation, if there's no pomp and pageantry.

If that's going to be the case, why not just do like other monarchies and not bother with the ceremony at all?
Because it is importnat, not for the bling being displayed.

I feel the same way.

With or without tiaras, we will see pomp and pagentry not seen by most living people tomorrow

The main point of the service is after all, that King Charles and Queen Camilla will be annointed and crowned.

I know many people wants to see The Princess of Wales wear a tiara - but honestly, whatever she wears, she will still be the most photographed person tomorrow after the King and Queen.
And whatever she wears is unimportant for the ceremony’s legitimacy as she is not the main point…

And there is already critisism about the total price for arranging the coronation in the middle of a living crisis for many…

Don’t get me wrong - i would also love to see as much royal jewels as possible tomorrow - but i can perfectly see why if they choose to not wear as much jewels as for previous coronations

Last edited:
Will the order of service be published today or tomorrow?

Because it is importnat, not for the bling being displayed.
I can only agree with Mirabel! Coronations, since centuries, held certain dress codes and rules about what to be worn and what not. This has nothing to do with "bling", but with standards, which are reflected in what people wear for particular events. I think it would be no "science" for a commoner to borrow white tie or an evening dress. When it comes to "the great and the good", they have their precious jewels in their vaults since centuries, anyway. Nobody benefits from royal or aristocratic people leaving their tiaras at home... This will not solve a living crisis (well, most people still manage to fly abroad for their holidays twice a year, never mind the living crisis...:whistling:).
I think it looks odd and too much of a difference: here the King and Queen in robes with all their regalia, walking through a congregation of people in party dresses and suits.... horrid..!

Last edited:
From the Telegraph Live Blog:

The King and the Prince of Wales greeted fans on The Mall during a surprise walkabout on the eve of the Coronation.

The royals shook hands with well wishers, who had eagerly lined the route in the hope of catching a glimpse of the monarch before he is crowned at Buckingham Palace.

The Princess of Wales also joined the pair and posed for selfies with fans, and even appeared to join in a video call on one phone.

I think it looks odd and too much of a difference: here the King and Queen in robes with all their regalia, walking through a congregation of people in party dresses and suits.... horrid..!

I think, in 2023, these "party dresses" and suits read as an extremely formal mode of dress to most people. Many people have never had an occasion to wear such clothing in their whole lives. It's not 1953 where a suit was practically loungewear.

The dress code has been very different from century to century, changing with broader societal fashions. The white tie at the 20th century coronations would have looked very dull and drab to someone who was used to all of the lace and frills of the old court dress.

Last edited:
I think, in 2023, these "party dresses" and suits read as an extremely formal mode of dress to most people. Many people have never had an occasion to wear such clothing in their whole lives. It's not 1953 where a suit was practically loungewear.

The dress code has been very different from century to century, changing with broader societal fashions. The white tie at the 20th century coronations would have looked very dull and drab to someone who was used to all of the lace and frills of the old court dress.
Well, if white tie is required for a state banquet it should be very normal for a coronation! If you argue this was not 1953, I´d say coronations have been an anachronism all the 20th century along and still Britain kept it. So, if you retain a 1000 year old ceremony with all its bygone rituals and splendour, the participant´s clothes should reflect just that. Otherwise they should be that consequent and change the coronation into an inauguration.

Embassy of Sweden in London:
During the coronation of ??King Charles tomorrow, keep a lookout for this! 20-year-old Sebastian Braw-Smith will be the first Swede ever to be a part of the coronation procession.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cr25ZV0MFt8/

Will members of the order of the garter wear their order at the coronation?

William was pictured arriving at one of the rehearsals and it seems he was in his coronation robes - the white ribbon and red and white circle /swag on the shoulder can be seen. Given there was a tweet with some members of the garter in their robes (though they were some of those carrying regalia) I would suggest its a strong possibility any members of the Garter in attendance will be in their robes.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/0...aves_Westminster_Abbey-a-21_1683286772936.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/69/KG_Mantle.jpg/255px-KG_Mantle.jpg

The members of the RF who are in the order of the garter are the King, Camilla, William, Anne, Edward, Andrew, Duke of Gloucester, Princess Alexandra and Duke of Kent which actually quite nicely is nearly all the working members of the RF (with the Princess of Wales, Tim, Sophie and duchess of Gloucester added in)

At least one Kent grandchild has confirmed she isn't attending - Lady Amelia.

I would assume if one isn't invited then none would be invited.
No shock there because she doesn’t seem to care for “royal events” and is a fringe member

Are there reception videos? Are there any pictures of Felipe and Letizia with Frederik and Mary and Pavlos and Marie-Chantal? and with William and Kate?

There are few photos of the interior of the reception in Buckingham.

Does anyone have (a link to) tomorrow's timeline? What would be the best website/stream to watch for those not in the UK?

Posts about the duke of Sussex have been moved to the Sussex thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom