The Coronation: Guest Arrivals, Guest List, Rehearsal and Receptions, 5 May 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like most of the royals hung out together in the Music Room.

King Philippe and Princess Elisabeth were with Princess Beatrix and Princess Amalia when they met King Charles. King Felipe and Queen Letizia were with Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary. It makes sense.

King Carl Gustaf and Crown Princess Victoria were next to the Greeks in the pictures with King Charles.

After the palace reception many of the guests gathered at the private member's club Oswald's in Mayfair for a private dinner.
The ones me and/or my friends saw were King Carl Gustav & Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, Crown Prince Frederick & Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, Crown Prince Haakon & Crown Princess Mette Marit of Norway, Queen Anne-Marie with Crown Prince Pavlos & Crown Princess Marie Chantal of Greece, King Jigme & Queen Jetsun Pema of Bhutan, King Tupou & Queen Nanasipauʻu Tukuʻaho of Tonga, Crown Prince Fumihito & Crown Princess Kiko of Japan, Prince Andrew, Princess Beatrice & Edo Mapelli-Mozi, Princess Eugenie & Jack Brooksbank, Princess Anne & Tim Laurence, Zara & Mike Tindall, Prince Edward & Princess Sophie with Lady Louise & Lord James, Prince & Princess Michael of Kent, Prince Albert & Princess Charlene of Monaco The Duke & Duchess of Wellington and Lady Susan Hussey.
All in all some great royal watching because of few spectators and relaxed enough security for us to get very close as the guests arrived.

Some photos from the dinner:

Last edited:
Yes looks like they have different groups of people in different rooms. Most of the foreign royals are together in the music room, Heads of State/Government of countries like Ireland, Germany, Brazil, South Korea, Italy etc in the White Drawing Room and other diplomats, representatives in thePicture Gallery. Interestingly the King's Principal protection officer is close behind him in most of the pictures in the Picture Gallery but not in any once the king is in the Music Room or White Drawing Room.

But can you imagine the King and Queen hurrying down in pouring rain from the gate where the carriage will stop to the Big West Door and that wearing their coronation robes.

Have seen a Video on Twitter from today where it was pouring down like at the spanish royal Wedding in 2004.

Re the Rain; Perhaps a plan B is in place so the newly Crowned Monarch won't get wet. I hope so anyway, like an awning cover from the doorway to the Carriage.

I just think there is natural cordial relations between them as they have met on occasional visits (state visits)

Fred and Mary have mingled with Felipe and Letizia at many royal weddings and milestone birthday events of other royals, as well as funerals. All the European royals know each other quite well, having interacted many times over the years. I see them all as like a little club. They are comfortable with one another as most share the same destiny.

horrible pictures :eek:
the photographer should be fired

Maxima's daughter :)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/foreignoffice/52873660548/in/album-72177720308009612/

You would think the photographer could have cropped Amalia out of that photo before releasing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did Prince Bernhard and Princess Stephanie of Baden attend the reception or the dinner?
Did Prince Philipp and Princess Saskia of Hohenlohe-Langenburg attend the reception or the dinner?

Is it known who represented France? President Macron seems to be absent but there must be a representative.

Imagine if they threw a gala with dancing, like ballroom dancing, and they threw us a few photos and video clips!!! But probably a hassle with all the different foreign guests, so they stuck with shorter receptions. They could do family and friends, but that might seem a bit pretentious. Do royals and the upper class even do ballroom dancing anymore? I see photos of QEII dancing and think when was the last time we saw the BRF ballroom dancing?!
Yes there are balls that happen with upper classes like debutante balls, and sometimes where there are state visits, sometimes dancing is part of the event with royals.

FWIW I cant think of any single reason why there ever should be an event with royals of former monarchies that cant include others in the royal family outside of "working royals".

Is it known who represented France? President Macron seems to be absent but there must be a representative.

The Macrons will be at the Coronation but didn't attend the reception. The French President flew to London in the evening.

Seems that no royals from the UAE were present.

A pity that Princess Muna of Jordan couldn't come with her son and daughter-in-law; after all, she is British.

A more complete video of the private dinner the family hosted for foreign royals the night before the coronation.

Looks like just about most foreign royals attended!

Back
Top Bottom