Charles III: Coronation Information and Musings - Part 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Charles III: Coronation Musings and Information

You can use this thread to discuss, muse and share information about the future coronation of King Charles III.

You can find Part 1 of this thread here.

-> Please note that posts about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be deleted from this topic.

Last edited:
I am reposting the information about the TV coverage in Australia here as I suspect that many people will want the info closer to the date and won't bother going to the other site to find it.

ABC

5.00 pm to 11.00 pm

Preview first - at 5.00
Entry to Abbey - from 5.30
Procession of King and Queen to Abbey
Service
Procession of King and Queen to Palace
Balcony and Flypast

6 hours of coverage and all done in time for a good night's sleep.

Other channels have so far not announced anything but both Channels 7 and 9 have commitments to the footy. The NRL won't be happy if Channel 9 don't show the football as it is 'magic round' which they have been selling as the 'largest festival of rugby league in the world'.

I will keep Aussies informed if I hear anything further.

King Charles will make sweet gesture to Commonwealth as he is anointed with holy oil

The King will honour Britain’s relationship with the Commonwealth during the most sacred moment of his Coronation when he is anointed with holy oil behind fabric screens, it can be revealed.

Charles has for months worked on a secret project with skilled embroiderers who have stitched the names of all 56 commonwealth countries into the partitions that will shield him from public view, when he is blessed with holy oil.

Pope Francis gives King fragments from Christ’s cross for coronation (archive)

The Pope has given the King two splinters of wood said to have been taken from the cross on which Jesus was crucified. The relics are to be carried at the head of the coronation procession next month.

The splinters have been embedded within a newly crafted silver cross called the Cross of Wales, which is made of recycled bullion from the Royal Mint, mounted on a staff made of wood from a tree blown down by the wind, and placed in a stand of Welsh slate.

Heroes and athletes lead New Zealand coronation procession (archive)

The former New Zealand rugby captain Richie McCaw and one of the heroes of the Christchurch mosque shooting will be among the procession at the start of the coronation next month.

One of a group representing orders of chivalry and gallantry awards, McCaw will take part in the procession as a holder of the Order of New Zealand while Aziz, an Afghan refugee who owns a furniture shop, will represent the New Zealand Cross, the country’s highest honour for civilian bravery. He was awarded the honour along with Dr Naeem Rashid, who died while tackling the gunman at the Al Noor mosque.

Last edited:
Do I miss it, still no news from the Belgian?

Also have any of the Arabian Royal Houses confirmed their attendance?

Lady Pamela Hicks

According to India Hicks, the daughter of Lady Pamela Hicks, her mother, a first cousin of Prince Philip and a bridesmaid at his wedding to then Princess Elizabeth, have not been invited to the coronation.

"Someone keeps saying its Buckingham Palace calling” said my daughter Domino firmly hanging up the phone again. “Ah, it probably is Buckingham Palace” I said.

Since my mother’s hearing had become just a bit more unreliable, I had become her human hearing aid, most of her friends knew to call me if there was something important to be conveyed.

One of the King’s personal secretaires was passing on a message from the King. They explained that this coronation was to be very different to the Queen’s. 8,000 guests would be whittled down to 1,000 alleviating the burden on the state.

The King was sending his great love and apologies, he was offending many family and friends with the reduced list. My mother was not offended at all. “How very, very sensible” she said. Invitations based on meritocracy not aristocracy. “I am going to follow with great interest the events of this new reign.”

We have recently been looking through old photographs. Her astonishing memory recalled a very funny story about this photograph of my mother with young Princess Elizabeth. (Nip over to Substack for that. Link in my profile.)

Today my mother turns 94 years old, she must be one of the few remaining people with such a memory intact, about to live through a third coronation.

Happy Birthday to my darling Mum."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrN9T__rc_1/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Strange that Lady Pamela Hicks was not invited,as a great-great granddaughter of Queen Victoria and family connection I would thought she would be on the list.

Strange that Lady Pamela Hicks was not invited,as a great-great granddaughter of Queen Victoria and family connection I would thought she would be on the list.
The King and Queen Consort have many relatives and friends. They have to make the cut somewhere.

The King and Queen Consort have many relatives and friends. They have to make the cut somewhere.

Very true and factor in her age and mobility too.

Now that Lady Pamela can be removed from the list, who else likely to be in the Abbey was at the previous coronation? I can think of the King, the dukes of Gloucester and Kent, Princess Alexandra, Prince Michael of Kent, and Andrew Parker Bowles (he's probably less certain, but his grandchildren being pages surely raises the likelihood). And the Earl of Airlie was a page in 1937, but he's probably less likely to be there (either to be invited or to be able to attend, though he did have a prominent seat at the funeral).

Of the other living pages from 1953, I can't find any with connections so close that make me think they'd be invited. Viscount Ullswater was a private secretary to Princess Margaret, but that's a stretch. Edit: Perhaps Anne, Lady Glenconner, who seems to have some level of friendship with the King and Queen; she was one of the maids of honour.

Last edited:
And the Earl of Airlie was a page in 1937, but he's probably less likely to be there (either to be invited or to be able to attend, though he did have a prominent seat at the funeral.

If the Airlies are not invited, I shall write a letter to The Times!

I suppose it's either charitable or odd to invite the Queen's ex to the Coronation.

I suppose it's either charitable or odd to invite the Queen's ex to the Coronation.

They remain close. Andrew P-B attended the wedding of C&C.

As I said before , prioritizing “ meritocracy over aristocracy “ seems to be a contradiction with the very nature of hereditary monarchy, which, by definition, is non-meritocratic.

I don’t see the point either in inviting people who may. have merit, but have no connection to the monarchy and may not even support it or care about it.

Charles is a political King and wants to be politically correct. Rather than scoring extra points, he just weakens his position by doing that though.

Just my opinion. I understand that other members of the forum might disagree.

If the scale of invitees at this coronation were as big as the last one´s, yes, that would be strange. But, as The King explained in his letter to the Hicks family himself, there is no room!

I would advise you to go buy good stationery then.
Beside the royals in the procession and Harry and the King and QUeen - we do not know who is attending. I do not think that the Children of the Kents and Glouchesters are attending. I think they are with Viewing party. I expect their will be more foreign royals then local royals at the coronation.

Yes I wondered about the "wider RF" - the children and grandchildren of the Gloucesters and Kents. I suspect maybe they won't be in attendance if numbers really are that limited.

India Hicks said it was being scaled back from 8000 to 1000, surely that can't be right, the Abbey comfortably holds around 2000 and that is the number we've been hearing up until the report about Lady Pamela came out.

India Hicks said it was being scaled back from 8000 to 1000, surely that can't be right, the Abbey comfortably holds around 2000 and that is the number we've been hearing up until the report about Lady Pamela came out.
India Hicks is not an authority on the matter and is only quoting from memory from a telephone conversation she's had with one of the King's secretaries a while ago. All other sources point at about 2000 guests.

India Hicks is not an authority on the matter and is only quoting from memory from a telephone conversation she's had with one of the King's secretaries a while ago. All other sources point at about 2000 guests.
Perhaps of the 2000, the King has influence over the 1000.

I’m wondering if his good friend Rowan Atkinson (aka Mr. Bean) will be there?

1,800 is the number generally being mentioned. Most of the guests have been chosen by the Ministry of Culture.

1,800 is the number generally being mentioned. Most of the guests have been chosen by the Ministry of Culture.

Well given his sons and step children. Most of their partners. 3 grandchildren and 5 step grandchildren. 3 siblings plus partners. Nieces and nephews plus some partners. Perhaps some great nieces. Cousins, partners, children. Working royal cousins and partners. Close to 50 people really. He will probably have the Kent and Gloucester family there. Maybe closer to 80 people. He will want friends, charities etc to be there. He perhaps feels Lady Pamela is too far removed, he is close to that family though. India is his goddaughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom