Charles III: Coronation Information and Musings - Part 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They can't sell most of the tiaras as they are part of the Royal Collection.

One thought I have had is whether one of the reasons for this distinction (if true) is for the comfort of Eugenie. It would be very uncomfortable to have to put on a full gown and tiara when that heavily pregnant. This way she won't be the 'odd one out' or have to be uncomfortable. We all so how uncomfortable Zara was at Harry's wedding and it would be worse to have to sit in a formal gown for double that length of time and have a tiara on as well.

Or maybe the cousins all talked about it and weren't terribly interested in wearing formals and tiaras and let Uncle Charles know how they felt?

Sometimes I think we get more caught up in that stuff than any of them. Though, I suppose their Great-great-grandma Mary is rolling in her grave that none of them inherited her jewel magpie gene, lol.

One thought I have had is whether one of the reasons for this distinction (if true) is for the comfort of Eugenie. It would be very uncomfortable to have to put on a full gown and tiara when that heavily pregnant. This way she won't be the 'odd one out' or have to be uncomfortable. We all so how uncomfortable Zara was at Harry's wedding and it would be worse to have to sit in a formal gown for double that length of time and have a tiara on as well.

There are small tiaras she could wear and not feel uncomfortable. This is a unique event, I want to believe there will be tiaras at least at the reception.

Also—-are all those tiaras and jewels supposed to just sit collecting dust? Rarely any reason to wear a raises these days, certainly a coronation should be one!

Otherwise, truly the Royal Family should just sell all those tiaras sitting collecting dust and do something generous with the proceeds.

I hope to see more than one tiara for the Coronation. Even the Ladies-in-Waiting and House of Lords’ spouses wore tiaras for the Opening of Parliament. And correct me if I am wrong, but I think guests with tiaras can wear them for State Banquets and Diplomatic Receptions? But for the Coronation, not even for senior royals, not at the church or a fancy dinner??? I understand focusing on the King/Queen, scaling it down, and inviting the common folks, but don’t do less than lesser events.

And I hope nobody wears a cape dress or bejeweled hair accessory if Kate and company are not doing it.

I hope to see more than one tiara for the Coronation. Even the Ladies-in-Waiting and House of Lords’ spouses wore tiaras for the Opening of Parliament. And correct me if I am wrong, but I think guests with tiaras can wear them for State Banquets and Diplomatic Receptions? But for the Coronation, not even for senior royals, not at the church or a fancy dinner??? I understand focusing on the King/Queen, scaling it down, and inviting the common folks, but don’t do less than lesser events.

And I hope nobody wears a cape dress or bejeweled hair accessory if Kate and company are not doing it.

It is a long time since 'House of Lords' spouses' even attended the State Opening of Parliament.

Tiaras are now limited events in the UK:

State Opening of Parliament - Camilla and Catherine (if she attends).

State Banquets - usually a maximum of two a year - Camilla, Catherine, Sophie, Anne and Birgitte (no other royal ladies attend. I have assumed that as Alexandra didn't attend the SA one last year she won't be attending in the future.

Diplomatic Reception - Camilla and Catherine

Most of the tiaras are not a part of the royal collection, they are privately owned.

It is a long time since 'House of Lords' spouses' even attended the State Opening of Parliament.

State Banquets - usually a maximum of two a year - Camilla, Catherine, Sophie, Anne and Birgitte (no other royal ladies attend. I have assumed that as Alexandra didn't attend the SA one last year she won't be attending in the future.

Looking through scant photos, there were non-Royal tiaras at the State Banquet in June 2019 and State Opening of Parliament in November 2019. Considering the late Queen’s health and the pandemic, not that long ago. Not sure if there were non-Royal tiaras at King Charles first State Banquet or what he will do for the future.

Also—-are all those tiaras and jewels supposed to just sit collecting dust? Rarely any reason to wear a raises these days, certainly a coronation should be one!

Otherwise, truly the Royal Family should just sell all those tiaras sitting collecting dust and do something generous with the proceeds.

There are diadems probably barred for use by the female members of the wider royal family as some may be considered out of the question for loans like the George VI State Diadem, the Boucheron Honeycomb Motif (Camilla's usual diadem), the copy of the Cambridge Lovers' Knot (Catherine's usual diadem), the Girls of GB&I, the Grand-Duchess Vladimir, the three ugly ones usually associated with QEII (Brazilean Aquamarines, Burmese Rubies and Belgian Sapphires).

With some clever distributing ("the halo for you, the diamond bandeau for you, the circlet for you" ) one can come a whole end but it will be a puzzle if all ladies have to wear one. Gone are the days that all ladies have a cassette with diadems in the side table.

I wonder if all members of the garter in attendance will wear garter robes or it Dame Eliza Manning Buller is because she is also part of the group carrying the regalia.

There are diadems probably barred for use by the female members of the wider royal family as some may be considered out of the question for loans like the George VI State Diadem, the Boucheron Honeycomb Motif (Camilla's usual diadem), the copy of the Cambridge Lovers' Knot (Catherine's usual diadem), the Girls of GB&I, the Grand-Duchess Vladimir, the three ugly ones usually associated with QEII (Brazilean Aquamarines, Burmese Rubies and Belgian Sapphires).

With some clever distributing ("the halo for you, the diamond bandeau for you, the circlet for you" ) one can come a whole end but it will be a puzzle if all ladies have to wear one. Gone are the days that all ladies have a cassette with diadems in the side table.

Only about 4-5 ladies would need one though based on the vaults of the cadet branches. The York Princesses, the Countess of St. Andrews, Lady Fredrick and maybe Lady Margarita though that would be unlikely as she's unmarried. This is if the rumor that the Kent and Gloucester grandchildren are not attending is true.

At least one Kent grandchild has confirmed she isn't attending - Lady Amelia.

I would assume if one isn't invited then none would be invited.

But the rules for wearing tiaras Events are not written in Stone. Other monarchies have shown that the can also be worn for black tie Events and i don't have to be white tie Events.

Very moving to know the Duke of Buccleuch will fullfil his duty, despite having lost his wife suddenly three days ago.

That's so sad I didn't know of her passing.

Coronation Medal to go to Armed Forces and frontline emergency service workers

Members of the Armed Forces, frontline emergency service workers and people actively contributing to The King’s Coronation will be among the 400,000 people to receive a Coronation Medal, the design of which is unveiled today.

The design features a double portrait of Their Majesties on the front and a version of the Royal Cypher, a laurel wreath and the date of the Coronation on the reverse.

Interesting. The Lord and Lady of Cavendish of Furness were both invited. However, only the Earl of Derby is invited and not his wife. Maybe he is invited for role, or maybe she is not close friend or just unavailable to attend. Derby also posted about their robes coming back from conservation and going on display in July, so is he wearing them or not?

Do you think we will see a peeress coronation robe with the fitted kirtle at the Coronation? There are few female hereditary peeress, and currently none in the House of Lords. And it seems like some wives are not invited, but those invited most likely will not wear robes.

Also, Sarah Troughton is attending with her husband. She is Charles’ second cousin, a Queen’s Companion, a Lord-Lieutenant, and grandmother to one of the King’s Page of Honour. I doubt other Lord-Lieutenants’ spouses are invited.

Last edited:
At least one Kent grandchild has confirmed she isn't attending - Lady Amelia.

I would assume if one isn't invited then none would be invited.

There are only going to be about 1,800 people. Quite a lot of them are "ordinary" people invited due to charity work etc. Then there are the overseas dignitaries. There probably just isn't room for all the Kent and Gloucester grandchildren: as you say, if one isn't invited then presumably none are invited.

There are only going to be about 1,800 people. Quite a lot of them are "ordinary" people invited due to charity work etc. Then there are the overseas dignitaries. There probably just isn't room for all the Kent and Gloucester grandchildren: as you say, if one isn't invited then presumably none are invited.

Haven’t they said 2,200 guests + 400 at St Margaret’s?

Anyway, quite odd to invite just one spouse. The UK rule “no ring, no bring” has never seen such lows.

Most of the tiaras are privately owned, now by King Charles III.

I believe the Oriental Circlet and the George IV State Diadem are part of the Royal Collection.

I believe the Oriental Circlet and the George IV State Diadem are part of the Royal Collection.

The Oriental Circlet and the George IV state diadem are owned by the Crown.

Which Children from the Kent Duke , Princess Alexandra , Prince Michael , Duke of Gloucester will attend ?

Which Children from the Kent Duke , Princess Alexandra , Prince Michael , Duke of Gloucester will attend ?

My guess is that none of the children of the Kent and Gloucester families will be invited.

A reminder that today's events can be discussed in the thread that we have created for today, which you will find here.

Last edited:
Will members of the order of the garter wear their order at the coronation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom