The King, the Royal Family and the Commonwealth

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If Penny Wong thinks lecturing Britain helps relations between the two countries then the Australian Foreign Affairs Department lacks diplomatic common sense. Australia is strategically vulnerable to Chinese expansionism & needs all the friends & help it can get. Hence why its rearming & joined AUKUS.

I wonder who else she thinks might be in a position to provide Australia with nuclear subs? The Americans are too busy trying to build enough of their own & their shipyards have no spare capacity. Since Canberra wants the RAN to have nuclear subs asap the the British Astute class is a likely contender.

Australia has been forging its own path ever since the fall of Singapore in 1942. It'a an interesting topic but I'm unsure how it might be relevant to a royal visit.

Last edited:
The Commonwealth service is currently happening at Westminster Abbey:

I am sorry - but sometimes this "service" reminded me more of a Variety show than a service of thanksgiving.... I wonder if this is still a christian service or if it would not be more honest to do it in a hall, a congress center or so in the future...?!The word of "diversity" was repeated several times and was a symbol what this event was all about....!
And, alas, loud anti-monarchist protests seem to increase (in front of the Abbey) wherever the King goes... They even said these demonstraters will be allowed in front of the Abbey on coronation day. Very disturbing development and surely unthinkable at all other coronations in the past.

Last edited:
The anti Monarchists were very loud,vocal and visible outside the Abbey ahead of the Commonwealth Day Service.

The anti Monarchists were very loud,vocal and visible outside the Abbey ahead of the Commonwealth Day Service.

Unfortunately, if the right to express an opinion is respected, there is very little the Met can do without creating a greater issue.

Hopefully by the coronation, the people supporting the King and Queen will drown out the anti monarchists.

I think the King and Queen have the right attitude by just ignoring the demonstrators.

Unfortunately, if the right to express an opinion is respected, there is very little the Met can do without creating a greater issue.

Hopefully by the coronation, the people supporting the King and Queen will drown out the anti monarchists.

I think the King and Queen have the right attitude by just ignoring the demonstrators.

The anti monarchists were small in number yesterday but very loud.

A few further photos from the Service at the Abbey.
https://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?zoektype=2&search=13-03-2023 London

Last edited:
https://globalnews.ca/news/9549877/king-charles-coronation-canadians-polling/

New polling results suggest Canadians are largely indifferent to King Charles, and more than half believe his May 6 coronation is the right time for the country to reconsider its ties with the monarchy.

The web survey of 1,544 adults released Tuesday by market research firm Leger indicates many Canadians are greeting the ascension of Charles to the throne with a shrug.

Only 12 per cent of respondents said it was good news that Charles is now King, compared to 14 per cent who said it was bad news and 67 per cent who were indifferent.

Only 13 per cent of those surveyed said they felt a personal attachment to the monarchy, compared with 81 per cent who didn’t.

Last edited:
https://news.yahoo.com/jamaica-plans-dump-king-charles-become-republic-111223507.html

Support for republicanism in the country is high, with over half of Jamaicans in support, according to the BBC.

The issue is not unique to Jamaica among other Caribbean islands – Barbados officially removed Queen Elizabeth as their head of state in 2021.

On that occasion, the then-Prince Charles attended the ceremony as a representative of the crown.

Last edited:
The greater surprise is why Jamaica is not already a republic.

And let’s be blunt here, if Jamaica’s own minister of legal & constitutional affairs thinks that a foreigner called the "king of England" is the Jamaican monarch then she’s not exactly the brightest bulb in the government is she?

It would have made a lot more sense for all of the post war independent Commonwealth countries to have been republics from the get go. It would have avoided all of this nonsense from the off. Seriously, why should any of us care?

Last edited:
The greater surprise is why Jamaica is not already a republic.

And let’s be blunt here, if Jamaica’s own minister of legal & constitutional affairs thinks that a foreigner called the "king of England" is the Jamaican monarch then she’s not exactly the brightest bulb in the government is she?

It would have made a lot more sense for all of the post war independent Commonwealth countries to have been republics from the get go. It would have avoided all of this nonsense from the off. Seriously, why should any of us care?

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Jamaicans voted 'No' in the referendum. There is little to gain from a republic actually and probably more to lose.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9549877/king-charles-coronation-canadians-polling/

New polling results suggest Canadians are largely indifferent to King Charles, and more than half believe his May 6 coronation is the right time for the country to reconsider its ties with the monarchy.

The web survey of 1,544 adults released Tuesday by market research firm Leger indicates many Canadians are greeting the ascension of Charles to the throne with a shrug.

Only 12 per cent of respondents said it was good news that Charles is now King, compared to 14 per cent who said it was bad news and 67 per cent who were indifferent.

Only 13 per cent of those surveyed said they felt a personal attachment to the monarchy, compared with 81 per cent who didn’t.

71% in Quebec. I'm surprised it's not higher"! Do getting on for a third of Quebecers really support the Canadian monarchy?

Hopefully any debate over the monarchy in any of the realms is not just distilled down to whether people like a particular monarch or not. The monarchy as an institution warrants a thorough examination before people decide one way or the other.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Jamaicans voted 'No' in the referendum. There is little to gain from a republic actually and probably more to lose.

I don't know enough about Jamaica to make a prediction. But I've never understood why Jamaica or indeed any of the Caribbean islands became independent as monarchies.

71% in Quebec. I'm surprised it's not higher"! Do getting on for a third of Quebecers really support the Canadian monarchy?

Hopefully any debate over the monarchy in any of the realms is not just distilled down to whether people like a particular monarch or not. The monarchy as an institution warrants a thorough examination before people decide one way or the other.

It's entirely irrelevant what the level of support is or how anyone feels. Changing the system of government requires changing the constitution, which requires assent from all the provinces, which will never happen.

"Loyal she remains", as our provincial motto goes. Indifference is the modern equivalent.

It's entirely irrelevant what the level of support is or how anyone feels. Changing the system of government requires changing the constitution, which requires assent from all the provinces, which will never happen.

"Loyal she remains", as our provincial motto goes. Indifference is the modern equivalent.

Interesting. All of the provinces, that's a very high constitutional bar indeed.

Interesting. All of the provinces, that's a very high constitutional bar indeed.

Yes, which couldn't even be cleared for repatriating our own constitution, although that got done. But nobody's wanted to touch it in 40 years for very good reason. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_Act,_1982
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amendments_to_the_Constitution_of_Canada

Have no fear; you're stuck with us to defend and differentiate us from the Americans, like always.

Last edited:
I don't know enough about Jamaica to make a prediction. But I've never understood why Jamaica or indeed any of the Caribbean islands became independent as monarchies.

Yes I don't understand why they chose to remain as a monarchy either. It would have been far easier to just become a republic while remaining in the Commonwealth.

Yes, which couldn't even be cleared for repatriating our own constitution, although that got done. But nobody's wanted to touch it in 40 years for very good reason. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_Act,_1982
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amendments_to_the_Constitution_of_Canada

Have no fear; you're stuck with us to defend and differentiate us from the Americans, like always.

Sounds good to me.:flowers:

We're all part of a big extended family. For the moment at least!

Yes I don't understand why they chose to remain as a monarchy either. It would have been far easier to just become a republic while remaining in the Commonwealth.

Don't forget Anguilla, which declared a republic and got itself invaded by Britain just because it did not want autonomy the way the UK was giving it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Anguilla

I don't think the whole region can be treated collectively.

From royal titles to animal testing: The law changes coming in the budget bill

"In perhaps the most mysterious line in the 2023 federal budget, the Liberals say they plan to amend the "Royal Style and Titles Act" through the coming budget bill.

Mentioned only in the legislative annex, the government is giving no other indications of what these changes would entail."

----------------

I suspect this change will be to finally remove the mention of the United Kingdom from the King's Canadian title. Australia and New Zealand made this change in the 1970s.

Last edited:

"In perhaps the most mysterious line in the 2023 federal budget, the Liberals say they plan to amend the "Royal Style and Titles Act" through the coming budget bill.

Mentioned only in the legislative annex, the government is giving no other indications of what these changes would entail."

----------------

I suspect this change will be to finally remove the mention of the United Kingdom from the King's Canadian title. Australia and New Zealand made this change in the 1970s.

Yes I agree. It's surprising that such a change was not made far earlier. It would have made sense during the Pearson era when both the flag was changed & a new national anthem proposed. All part of a process of uncoupling from British tradition & adopting uniquely Canadian cultural identities.

Last edited:
As I expected, the King's new Canadian title (given on pages 328-329 of this large PDF file) will drop mention of the UK. "Defender of the Faith" will also be removed:

"Charles the Third, by the Grace of God King of Canada and His other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth."

----------------

Yes, you are probably right. Canada is the only realm that still includes "of the United Kingdom" in the King's official style.

I wonder if they are also planning to drop "Defender of Faith" as in Australia.

EDIT: Sorry, I had not seen your latest post before I replied, but it is what I expected, i.e., analogous to the King's style in Australia.

Last edited:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...4-nations-vote-remove-Charles-head-state.html

Nearly half the King's realms now 'republican': Shock poll shows six out of 14 nations, including Canada and Australia, would vote to remove Charles as their head of state
Research conducted by former Conservative deputy chairman Lord Ashcroft
It reveals the true scale of the challenges King Charles III faces abroad.

Reasons for ditching the monarchy are varied, with Caribbean countries citing colonialism while others see the monarchy as distant and no longer relevant;
Most of those who want a republic believe this would 'bring real, practical benefits' to them;
The Sussexes are believed over the rest of the Royal Family by ten out of the 14 countries, with most feeling that Meghan's treatment exposed 'racist views';
Canada is among four countries arguing the monarchy is a 'racist and colonialist institution and we should have nothing to do with it';
In nearly every country, the majority of people said 'in an ideal world we wouldn't have the monarchy, but there are more important things for us to deal with'.

Last edited:
For those wanting to debate the Sussex-part in the above post: you are welcome to do so in the Sussex-thread [and refer to this post]. In this thread further mention of the couple will be deleted.

You can find the thread here.

Back
Top Bottom