The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would imagine too that the way it was all set up at a restaurant with Meghan arriving in casual attire, it made Mr. Jones breathe a bit easier too. Meghan, with her attire, stressed informality. Its called putting a person at ease. I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Jones went through two shirts before finally heading out the door. He was meeting The Duchess of Sussex. Instead, who he met was Meghan. They privately got to know each other better.

This brings me to remark on the quote of Meghan's that MaiaMia_53 has posted upthread. "... we have a deep connection to what we wear. Sometimes it's very personal, sometimes it's emotional. But for me, this connection is rooted in really being able to understand that it's about supporting and empowering each other, especially as women."

Its all about using one's clothing and attire to create an aura. It could be to look very sharp and professional when applying for a job or, in my hypothetical thinking about the lunch, Meghan's use of her clothing was to create an aura of friendliness and informality that would put Mr. Jones at ease and make it easier for the two of them to connect. Makes it easier to work together. ;)

Meghan will never be the quintessential British princess and I don't really believe anyone wants her to be.

Last edited:
I can't stand ripped jeans & I think they're a ridiculous fashion but Meghan's free to wear whatever she likes in her private life. This 'business meeting' could just be a social lunch. I'm sure they have enough office space at KP for business meetings.

Another thought is that these ripped jeans that Meghan has could have easily been looked at as "replaceable" and altered to turn them into comfortable maternity jeans. I know many women that have done that with old jeans when pregnant.

I don't think she'd bother to have jeans altered when you can buy ripped maternity jeans. I bet those jeans she has on are brand new.

Would you dare wear jeans when meeting an employee for lunch?

I’ve worked in offices and restaurants, hotels and call centers, each had their own uniform I needed to adjust myself to.
Her clothes while on the clock are her uniform- as she wa sneering her employee in the middle of the day, i’ll assume this was a work meeting and not social hour.
I’m gonna assume none of the other royals will wear jeans to the office (unless they were doing something else and make a quick stop to grab something from it)

It all depends on where you work. Not every place is equally formal. Where I work people wear jeans to work and I work at a courthouse. Judges and clerks even wear them to hearings. Ofcourse they also wear, what we call a toga, over their clothes.
So here wearing jeans to a meeting would be perfectly fine.

Not a fan of ripped jeans...but I know it's the thing for some.

I've worked for a very large well known corporate bank (International top 5) and I have been at casual meetings IN THE OFFICE where the area managers/regional managers were in very causal clothing...jeans, tennis shoes etc.

Let's all calm down now...she was at a lunch with a new (as of December) employee (used by the Cambridges too as I hear) ...we don't know if it was a business lunch or a 'get to know you' lunch or what. Personally I think she looked fine for what she was doing..even though, again, I don't like the ripped jeans.

LaRae

...However, what is somewhat irksome is that, to me, it was a very Hollywood (which probably she aspired to, but was never really part of) or celebrity look, one that was odds with that of a royal, albeit a royal in a supporting role.

Who knew I had been affecting a ‘Hollywood look’ for so many years? I thought I was just comfortable.
Is Meghan really expected to be properly and formally attired every minute of every day?

Would you dare wear jeans when meeting an employee for lunch?

I’ve worked in offices and restaurants, hotels and call centers, each had their own uniform I needed to adjust myself to.
Her clothes while on the clock are her uniform- as she wa sneering her employee in the middle of the day, i’ll assume this was a work meeting and not social hour.
I’m gonna assume none of the other royals will wear jeans to the office (unless they were doing something else and make a quick stop to grab something from it)

She was having lunch or maybe just coffee with someone who is her employee not her friend, therefore this was a working lunch and not her private time.
Seeing the smartly way her companion was dressed in this was obviously work time for him therefore should have also been for her.

I’ve told you I’ve had lunch with a bosses in jeans. I’ve seen bosses in jeans at the office. Didn’t know they were intending to offend me. Guess I missed the chance to get upset them and lecture them about it. I’ve also been in jeans at certain work things with staff that reports to me on projects. Whether it be lunch or office. It get worse, I’ve worn yoga pants too. Promise you, no one took offense.

As for assuming no other royal wears jeans to the office, let’s hold off on any assumption. Unless you’ve worked in their office and seen it.

Seriously, mountains out of molehill. Some people will criticize her for anything. He didn’t look so offended to me.

Last edited:
I am not a fan of ripped jeans either but Meghan looks pulled together. I'm more curious of the meeting. The new press guy has a political background. Was the lunch perhaps a strategy meeting on how to deal with the negative press?

Frankly, the jeans or jeans-with-holes do not bother me, even if it was lunch with a colleague. That is her choice, and as she was not on a public engagement, it is not for me to comment on. However, what is somewhat irksome is that, to me, it was a very Hollywood (which probably she aspired to, but was never really part of) or celebrity look, one that was odds with that of a royal, albeit a royal in a supporting role.

To me, it was the sunnies that were off. It appeared to not be a sunny day. Royals are not celebrities. Sunnies on a dull day scream 'celebrity'. Think Victoria Beckhem. JMO.

Please. The men wear jeans to meetings if they so please. There's nothing scandalous about a woman wearing a pair of jeans to a lowkey meeting.

To me, it was the sunnies that were off. It appeared to not be a sunny day. Royals are not celebrities. Sunnies on a dull day scream 'celebrity'. Think Victoria Beckhem. JMO.

You’re joking, right?

:lol: I wear a sunglass when there is no sun and I am not a celebrity.

Overcast days can have a glare on your eyes too. Plus..maybe she had puffy eyes...didn't want the world to see them!

LaRae

You’re joking, right?

1. Royals are celebrities. Otherwise most would be ignored. 2. It is good to wear sunglasses on most days as it is the ultra violet rays that cause many conditions, especially early cataracts. As they are present on gloomy days, too.

1. Royals are celebrities. Otherwise most would be ignored
Yes, someone else said it first. Now I can ride on your coattails:p. Anyone could be a celebrity if they're famous enough. I've never understood the distinction people make between royals and celebrities. Being a celebrity isn't about behavior. it's about fame. You can have the most modest business like lifestyle and be in any profession, but if you've reached a certain level of fame, you've reached celebrity status. Celebrity =famous person. That's all.

I'm not one of those people who claim no one knew Meghan existed before Harry, but I would say she's more of a celebrity now than she was before. And not because she behaves like one, but because she has the fame.

Anything Meghan does, some people are going to classify as 'celebrity'. She was an actress, so she does it, it is too 'Hollywood'. Even when other royals do it, will be passed off with some excuse. Sunglasses are just the newest thing.

People wear sunglasses all year around in Canada. For things like driving, glare. UV rays and more. Some people its also just a simple fashion accessory, and not just celebrities, just Jane and Joe Smith on the road.

I am sure we could google and find plenty of royals wearing sunglasses outside of bright summer days.

Anne, the least fashionista or celebrity of them, wore sunglasses to the queen's Christmas lunch.

I really had to laugh at the idea that wearing sunglasses or "shades" when there's no sun to be had is "celebrity". Why? Because I had just woken up, grabbed a cup of coffee and sat down to catch up here. Wearing my over the prescription glasses pair of sunglasses.

I have very sensitive eyes right now due to cataracts that are impeding my vision (its among a long line of things that need fixin' in this old bag o' bones) and actually wear sunglasses when I first wake up as even the "glare" of the light bulb in the refrigerator seems blinding. It takes a while for the eyes to adjust so 20 minutes after waking up, I'm wearing my "shades". :cool:

I know we've discussed this before and it is from the DM so take it as you will but here's the newest Meghan/baby bump/clothing article floating around...https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6626987/Meghan-uses-clever-style-trick-baby-bump.html

I love the casual look. She looks comfortable and natural. Great coat. :flowers:

I am usually not a fan of sequins but I actually like this on Meghan as I liked a similar look in Victoria. This is one if those times even those who cry for her to wear color should be happy for the dark navy. A bright color would have made it over the top and like a costume.

A bit late to the weekend party after a very, very busy weekend but I completely agree with this. I love the casual look and I really feel like the casual look is the look she does best. She always seems just a tad bit uncomfortable or unsure in her "working uniform" outfits but seems completely at ease and comfortable and self-assured in her casual clothes and it shows. That said, I'm one of those people who is constantly wishing for a bit of color from her and I was thrilled with the navy sequined dress. It was stunning and the whole look was fabulous. There's times when the darker colors are more than appropriate and this was one of them. That said, bring on the color for those regular daytime engagements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. I thought for sure there would be excited discussion here about that fabulous color-blocked Red & Purple outfit Meghan wore the other week (because so many claimed they wanted to see color).

Instead I found pages and pages of discussion about ripped jeans and sunglasses.

WTAH, lol. Where's the fun in that?

The thing I love about Meghan's aesthetic is that she uses the shape and cut of her clothes for interest. It's bold classic shapes with an edge, typically and a defined silhouette. And because of that, the lines are clean and the colors neutral.

But when she does color - she REALLY does color - in bold all over shades. But she still keeps her lines clean and simple. That red/purple outfit was *kisses fingers*

She doesn't always go clean/modern - sometimes she experiments with frilly dresses in prints (her Boho CA girl coming through), but for the most part she sticks with a clean and modern aesthetic. I love it.

And as far as jeans being professional or not - that has changed a lot since the olden days, lol.

Plus, we don't even know the point of the meeting/dinner/outing - which could've just been purely social.

:previous:

Bit late to the party. The talk has been about the ripped jeans because that is the more recent look. She has had a few since the red and purple.

If you go back to pages 75-78 you will find a very lively discussion of the purple and red outfit :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit late to the party. The talk has been about the ripped jeans because that is the more recent look. She has had a few since the red and purple.

If you go back to pages 75-78 you will find a very lively discussion of the purple and red outfit :flowers:

Yep - thanks I saw it. I don’t know why I didn’t before - I started on page 70 or so. Maybe it was a glitch.

The discussion was what I expected, lol. Still fascinated at how much more “jeans” discussion there was though.

I’ve taken a lot of inspiration from Meghan’s choices. My style is minimal like hers but I use more edgy fabrics and cuts at times.

Purple and red are a famous avant- Garde color combination in fashion. Sure - DoS could’ve chosen a less bold combo but I think she was looking to make a statement. The only quibble I had was the bag. I like that she chose a neutral though - cream would’ve worked too, imo. I love the bag (I have one too) - I just thought the brown wasn’t quite right. But that’s a minor quibble.

So - what’s the issue with the jeans? Are we sure this was a business meeting?

Yep - thanks I saw it. I don’t know why I didn’t before - I started on page 70 or so. Maybe it was a glitch.

The discussion was what I expected, lol. Still fascinated at how much more “jeans” discussion there was though.

I’ve taken a lot of inspiration from Meghan’s choices. My style is minimal like hers but I use more edgy fabrics and cuts at times.

Purple and red are a famous avant- Garde color combination in fashion. Sure - DoS could’ve chosen a less bold combo but I think she was looking to make a statement. The only quibble I had was the bag. I like that she chose a neutral though - cream would’ve worked too, imo. I love the bag (I have one too) - I just thought the brown wasn’t quite right. But that’s a minor quibble.

So - what’s the issue with the jeans? Are we sure this was a business meeting?

It was said (media) she was as a meeting with a new staff member (shared between the Cambridges and Sussexes) at a lunch. He started the job in Dec so I think that is just the presumption..they were having a business lunch.

LaRae

Last edited:
Now this is a refreshing look for Meghan. It almost screams "think spring" to me. Everything fits right and her hairstyle really does add to the entire look.

Oh she looks so fresh and lovely. Also, we are seeing a new hairstyle on her - a curly updo with a side part.

better look at the hair

(She really does not seem to think much of seasonal dressing though, haha. Everyone else in black and dark colours and she is again opting for a bright nude/peach monochrome look - very spring, imo.)

A very good look for the Duchess today! And nice hairstyle!

she looks fab , really like her hair !

Back
Top Bottom