The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
(She really does not seem to think much of seasonal dressing though, haha. Everyone else in black and dark colours and she is again opting for a bright nude/peach monochrome look - very spring, imo.)

I’m with her on this. Especially in winter. I don’t know where the rules this color is for this season comes from. I wear what I want to wear today keeping in mind what I’ll be doing. But that’s as far as it goes.

Meghan's hair and makeup are very nice today and the light peach color looks great on her. But I personally think the dress is a bit tight, or at least it looks that way with all the pleating up near the collarbone area, not to mention the fabric looks stretched to death across her tummy (and yes I know she's pregnant). I guess what I'm saying is it could have been a size or two larger.

Meghan's hair and makeup are very nice today and the light peach color looks great on her. But I personally think the dress is a bit tight, or at least it looks that way with all the pleating up near the collarbone area, not to mention the fabric looks stretched to death across her tummy (and yes I know she's pregnant). I guess what I'm saying is it could have been a size or two larger.

Odd, because of the pleating I thought it had been bought one size larger to accomodate her belly. and because of that it is to large in certain other areas.

Odd, because of the pleating I thought it had been bought one size larger to accomodate her belly. and because of that it is to large in certain other areas.

Do we know if it is a bespoke ensemble, or is it off the peg?

(She really does not seem to think much of seasonal dressing though, haha. Everyone else in black and dark colours and she is again opting for a bright nude/peach monochrome look - very spring, imo.)

For now, it could probably be excused as it is her first winter here as a working royal, and still probably does not fully understand the season variations in hues and colours that exist in Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really love these soft, peachy colors on Meghan. I'm neutral about the cut of the dress and jacket, but suspect that she's at that point in pregnancy where a lot of things tend to look boxy. It does read a little more "spring" than "winter," but it's such a lovely color it hardly matters.

This shade looks amazing on her. I am a big fan of the side part. She should wear it more.

Oh she looks so fresh and lovely. Also, we are seeing a new hairstyle on her - a curly updo with a side part.

better look at the hair

Well- Meghan stood out and didn’t blend in then. Lol She should have been easy to spot!

I tend to think of dark colors- especially black as classic. It’s a year around color imo.

Pastels I do think of as more of a spring/summer/fall look- and while I wear less of them this time of year- I wear some. I suspect a lot of people might wear less of a clothing color depending on the season, but not 100% either.

The hairstyle looks great, a refreshing change, and I really love Meghan's clutch. I'm glad she is in the peachy shade, the less I personally see of black and navy the better! The whole outfit looked very fresh and quite lovely. Like the shoes too.

She looks fabulous. The color really suits her, and I love the side part on the hair.

For now, it could probably be excused as it is her first winter here as a working royal, and still probably does not fully understand the season variations in hues and colours that exist in Europe.

Why does it need to be excused? Some of us just don't find it necessary to subscribe to it.

She looks amazing! Bege-cream color suits a her a lot! Her hairstyle is lovely! and I LOVE her shoes as always!

Love her hair, love the blazer too but not with that v neckline.

What needs to be excused :ermm: There is no fashion law even in Europe that you can only wear certain colors in certain seasons. The days of 'cant wear white after labor day' are thankfully gone :lol:

She looks fantastic. I like the nude shade on her. Lovely outfit. :flowers:

Great hair style on her as well.

For me there is something not quite right between the jacket and the length of the dress especially at the back. At this stage of her pregnancy she would be better having label or bespoke designs catered for the pregnant woman rather than buying a size to 2 up in standard clothes - Seraphin was such a great maternity label for many pregnant royals.

Meghan's hair looks nice, and the blush color is flattering.
But it does look a bit tight, and it also looks off for this time of year.
(It makes me shiver just to look at her!)

It's about 5'C in London today most of the UK has had a heavy blanket of snow overnight so I am quite surprised by how "light" her outfit is. I understand she might be warmer than most but I'm surprised by the dress.

I don't mind the outfit per se, it's certainly on the peachy-er side of beige which I'm counting as a colour. I don't like the neckline on the dress it reminds me of the Ralph Lauren jumpers worn over shirts. There seems to be a lot of gathering underneath her stomach, and i don't know if that's design or if it is too tight. It's certainly a better fit than the H&M but it should do considering the probable price difference.

I love her makeup today, really fresh looking and just a glow. The shoes have to be my favourite part of the outfit, oh and the hair being up! :flowers:

Oh, I love this look. So refreshing. Love this hairstyle on her. This looks like the one she had in the picture of her in her "Suits" wedding dress. It really soften her features.

It's about 5'C in London today most of the UK has had a heavy blanket of snow overnight so I am quite surprised by how "light" her outfit is. I understand she might be warmer than most but I'm surprised by the dress.

I don't mind the outfit per se, it's certainly on the peachy-er side of beige which I'm counting as a colour. I don't like the neckline on the dress it reminds me of the Ralph Lauren jumpers worn over shirts. There seems to be a lot of gathering underneath her stomach, and i don't know if that's design or if it is too tight. It's certainly a better fit than the H&M but it should do considering the probable price difference.

I love her makeup today, really fresh looking and just a glow. The shoes have to be my favourite part of the outfit, oh and the hair being up! :flowers:

Its minus 17 here in Toronto with a wind chill factor of minus 37 degrees. The duchess is rubbing in the relatively balmy British temperatures on the frostbitten noses of her former Toronto neighbours!

Its minus 17 here in Toronto with a wind chill factor of minus 37 degrees. The duchess is rubbing in the relatively balmy British temperatures on the frostbitten noses of her former Toronto neighbours!

Haa! I was thinking the same thing, gerry. I'm near Toronto, too, and were it 5°C, I'd probably out in shorts and a t-shirt.

Meghan looks smashing today! A perfect look for her all around.

I don't think this outfit is badly fitted at all. I think the wrinkles in the lower half is just from her sitting in the car. It happens.

Well.. it is a step up from the red/purple mismatching disaster. And a more engagement appropriate fit than the animal shelter outfit.

The color looks good on her.
The hair up is a style she should adopt, this updo looks much cleaner and professional than some of her past hair-up.. this tells me an hair stylist did it for her.. more of that than!

The outfit is very pretty and professional looking on it’s own, but it looks sloppy on Meghan because- As others have pointed out: maternity wear exists for a reason! A woman body changes and clothes made for non pregnant women rarely looks good on a pregnant women, even when the size is bigger to accommodate the growing belly.
Maternity wear is designed to fit in that change, which is for the most part very different than that of a woman simply gaining weight.
Time to ditch the regular wear and go maternity wear Meghan, the regular dresses do not look good on you in your current state. At least not the style she keep wearing. Perhaps time to consider an empire or Grecian style-ish dress when selecting non maternity outfits.

Lastly: despite how pretty and smart looking the outfit is, once again another non British designer.

Overall? A better looking choice than many of her past choices since the wedding (or even before), but would have been best saved for when she’s not pregnant as the dress lack of fit to her pregnant belly ruins the whole look.

I think Meghan would agree with you. She's commented to a Canadian about the Brits thinking London has bad weather. :whistling:

I love her outfit. She looks absolutely fabulous. If only it were spring.

Why does it need to be excused?

I suspect it is a cultural thing. There is a certain way people here tend to dress in specific seasons. It does not matter if Meghan does not want to follow it, its hardly the end of the world. My point was that she is new in these parts and that might just explain it.

Some of us just don't find it necessary to subscribe to it.

And that is your personal preference.

And I guess, to some extent, for Meghan to decide who her audience is: the general public in the UK, or the US. ?

And that is your personal preference.

And I guess, to some extent, for Meghan to decide who her audience is: the general public in the UK, or the US. ?

Or, how about, I don't know, herself? :lol: As she has to wear them. It doesn't appear to me that she particularly subscribe to the notion that these colors are for spring, and those are for winter.

And btw, let's cut the stereotype. It's not a US versus Europe thing. It's a personal thing. Multiple people have said, in various Meghan threads, that there is a common saying in US about not wearing white or pastel after Labor Day. Most recently today. So obviously color and season isn't exclusive to countries or regions. It comes down to personal preference of the wearer. The whole she has to choose us or them thing is getting old.

Last edited:
The whole she has to choose us or them thing is getting old.

IMO, for somebody whose public life in the UK is just starting out, that statement might be a bit premature. At this stage of the game, Meghan has a lot of goodwill from the public, largely resulting from who she is marrying. Longer term, it will be her royal work in support of the monarch, her charitable endeavours, and, to a lesser extent, her symbolic gestures (for example, largely wearing clothes by British designers) that will allow her to maintain and build on that public support.

This poor woman just can't win. She wears navy and dark colors, and she's attacked for not wearing more color, and wearing to much dark. She wears color and it's too bold or not the right season.

This is one of my favorite looks on the Duchess. The color gives her even more of a glow, and it's soft and flattering.

She looks glowing & wonderful today in that pretty outfit. I love the blush colour on her & the hairstyle is lovely.

This whole look is just kind of....eh....for me. The hair is better than it sometimes is but I will always think she looks best in the half up/half down styles. I know she can't wear those every day and this is a nice look when not wearing that style. As for the rest of the outfit...eh. The color looks fine on her but it's just another one of those boring beiges that she loves. I do think that she needs to switch to maternity wear, like yesterday, rather than continuing to try to wear non-maternity and change her sizes. Maternity wear is cut to accommodate a growing pregnancy rather than just weight gain and while that might work in the early months, she's definitely at a point when it's glaringly obvious and not in a good way that she's not wearing maternity. And, I know I'm in the minority here, but I hate the shoes. I've not liked them any time she's worn them and today is no different. I'm not overly crazy about the style itself but it just throws the look off for me when her shoes appear to be too big. Maybe she buys them big for a reason but these shoes in particular just appear way too large for her feet.

Back
Top Bottom