The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DxCqQMuXcAA9FYt.jpg

So judging from the above view, in different pictures the cream-colored outfit DoS Meghan wore to Mayhew falls on her differently. It looks like the dress has an assymetrical hemline that is V-like in the front, and it's touching just below the top of her knee, and also in the above photo, the coat looks to be slightly shorter than the dress.

In the process of walking, in the below photo, the dress appears to be shorter than the coat:
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xZL05xJj...gZ_v16Ar2bKJJK2xLFXNACLcBGAs/s1600/jdec63.jpg

Overall, it looks very good on Meghan to me, and very flattering.

This similar short styling pregnancy look someone posted earlier of DoC Kate is such a great color on her. Obviously her outfit is worn higher above her knees than Meghan's:
https://rebeccastarrbrowndotcom.fil...f-second-wedding-anniversary-duchess-kate.jpg

Both gorgeous royal ladies who are different, yet complimentary, and very suited to their roles, as they support their husbands and best friends, and continue to make an impact while carving out their own distinct public images.
The only thing I liked was the coat. The dress it self was not my cup of tea (wrapping up weirdly at times - and I didn't like the tone-to-tone colour scheme) nor were the shoes. Given the type of visit I was fine with her hair; it made it a little bit more key which worked for visiting animals.

Why would a former TV show actress pay for her work clothes when she is married to a wealthy man, whose father funds their entire lifestyle?
My guess is in her girder life, a lot if her clothes were freebies provided by stylists and fashion houses trying to get done visibility.

As an actor, once Meghan became successful in Toronto, she was making substantial money and therefore she probably invested in a lot of quality items. She certainly seemed to splurge on shoes. And we know her love for coats. Possibly she got discounts eventually, as her star and her profile rose on Suits, but I don't think that means she got endless 'freebies.'

They don't have an unlimited budget. She may or may not chip in and buy some of her own working clothes...none of us know. Regardless what the DM says.

Exactly, ITA.

And I doubt we will ever get to know the precise behind-the-scenes details of the lives of the Duke & Duchess of Sussex, unless someone close to them on their staff decides to eventually cash in and spill the beans.

The financial arrangements in general and in regard to clothing purchases for M&H are probably interesting, but as you indicate, really none of our business. So we can only speculate. And being that Meghan has a lot of her own money, she surely uses some of it, and then relies on top-notch financial advice to help her invest the rest. In any case, being royal means never realy having to worry about money for one's wardrobe. It's only the tabloids and some royal observers who seem to be fretting.

There is a difference between a business meeting than a working lunch. Whilst I wouldn’t wear jeans to meet with a client. A coworker is a different story. I’ve had working lunch where our VP is in jeans.

Either way, Jeans (specifically washed out with holes - though I reckon one can argue dark, single, colored, hole free, jeans may be okay) is not appropriate work attire unless one works in a fashion shop, or a restaurant.
You know her choice of pants was off because the person she was meeting with was dressed up! Trousers and buttoned shirt I believe.
And she is technically is boss, I expect my boss to dress even smarter than me.

Honestly, I'm one of the people who are not impressed with Meghan's fashion choices. It doesn't come from a bad place, I just don't understand what she's trying to do - sometimes it seems like she can't figure out what is working (and what is not) for her body shape, which I find weird, since she's not a young adult anymore. And sometimes I wonder if she has a mirror in their house, because she looks just awful.

I'm waiting for her to show me something I'll be amazed by - she's capable of that. It's just that most of her outfits make me not understand her choice or the world...

Well, it is what it is. DoS Meghan is going to please herself and she's never going to be dressing for any one of us, much less trying to amaze us. ? Despite the ups-and-downs, and ins-and-outs, Meghan looks to me like she's enjoying married life and being a British royal and learning about her new country, and meeting her new compatriots, in addition to Commonwealth compadres.

As far as Meghan's sartorial background: It was on Suits that Meghan began to meet a number of designers (that's also where she met her friend and stylist, Jessica Mulroney). There are loads of fashion-related videos on Youtube of Meghan talking about how her fashion aesthetic changed and became more polished and sophisticated during her tenure on Suits. She also wore a lot of her own personal jewelry on the show. She created two capsule clothing collections for Reitmans department store that sold out. She also gave fashion tips and accessorized models, along with providing fashion commentary for the Today show on several occasions.

Meghan also did quite a bit of modeling on the side as well for clothing and hair products manufacturers. We know what we do about Meghan's fashion aesthetic from the fashion-related clips and interviews that are still available on Youtube. One of the things that sticks with me is Meghan's key guidance regarding how important it is to dress for your body. Nobody and no body is perfect, but I think Meghan generally does a fairly good job of suiting herself and dressing appropriately for her body and for the occasion. Her life and her aesthetic are in the process of evolving right now. It's fun watching it happen before our eyes.

Furthermore, one of the best parts of Meghan's new life (even despite the over-scrutiny) must be the fun of planning her wardrobe, both her working wardrobe and her personal wardrobe. She is someone who has had a lot of fun with fashion previously in both her working and private lives. She appears to have been mixing in quite a bit of what she already owned while planning for her pregnancy and the South Pacific tour last fall.

In any case, as Meghan emphasized in her speech at the British Fashion Awards:
"... we have a deep connection to what we wear. Sometimes it's very personal, sometimes it's emotional. But for me, this connection is rooted in really being able to understand that it's about supporting and empowering each other, especially as women.

"When we choose to wear a certain designer, we're not just a reflection of their creativity and their vision, but we're also an extension of their values, of something in the fabric, so to speak, that is much more meaningful. I recently read an article that said, 'The culture of fashion has shifted from one where it was cool to be cruel to now, where it's cool to be kind.'"

I guess the tabloids and some fashion observers didn't happen to get that message.

Last edited:
I was just saying I missed seeing her like this and she goes and blesses me.

Nope, I think it's the paparazzi that went and blessed us, as well as securing themselves a hefty paycheck. ?

We are blessed nonetheless to see any views of DoS Meghan these days. She looks casual/comfy in those cuffed jeans and navy coat. It looks like she also prefers wearing heels in public all the time (maybe she keeps flats handy in the car to switch off).

Either way, Jeans (specifically washed out with holes - though I reckon one can argue dark, single, colored, hole free, jeans may be okay) is not appropriate work attire unless one works in a fashion shop, or a restaurant.

Or in a completely different type of job such as in the building industry and many other work environments where you need sturdy clothes to work in. If you would wear trousers in their you would surely be the outlier (and that includes the bosses who have to dress down to not be too far removed from their employees).

However, that's not the type of work environment Meghan is in. Although, she surely isn't the first royal to spot jeans or more casual clothing even on an official engagement if the type of engagement calls for it.

"... we have a deep connection to what we wear. Sometimes it's very personal, sometimes it's emotional. But for me, this connection is rooted in really being able to understand that it's about supporting and empowering each other, especially as women.

"When we choose to wear a certain designer, we're not just a reflection of their creativity and their vision, but we're also an extension of their values, of something in the fabric, so to speak, that is much more meaningful. I recently read an article that said, 'The culture of fashion has shifted from one where it was cool to be cruel to now, where it's cool to be kind.'"

I guess the tabloids and some fashion observers didn't happen to get that message.[/QUOTE]

Boy does his quote have me confused here.....Just how does Meghan or anyone else on this earth wear clothes that *empowers another person*? I wear clothes ...LOL or else I would be naked, :lol:, yet in wearing clothes I sure *do not empower* another person..people wear what they want not because they are told to or empower to or ask to by another person in their casual daily life. Sure we dress for certain events in our personal lives yet do we always have to copy another person and what they wear....I sure don't for I have a mind of my own and can make my own decisions on what to wear anywhere at any time. This thing about Meghan saying she empowers other women in what she wears is to me darn right silly and self promoting in her attitude that she has an helping other women through clothes, Heck most of the women out there do not have her budget to wear what she does, we can't spend thousands on one piece of clothes like she does before or after she became a royal.

And in choosing to wear a certain designer .........that my dear only makes their bank account larger, not their creatively nor their values at all. What designer out there thinks that someone's values is going to make them a better designer? I went to design fashion design school decades ago and not once did the teachers ask us to create something on some one else's values, we created clothes as to the the subject at hand. From what I see of most designers today, they are so afraid to think outside the box and make some of the most ugly clothes I have ever seen, when does a woman who is a lady wear holey clothes, or something that shows lots of body parts is not a true designer, it is MONEY in the bank they are thinking of period. Wearing clothes that have holes in them or ones that show lots of body parts is catering to the opposite sex, not the woman in them. Most women today do not think of being a lady when dressing to go anywhere, being a woman does not make a lady, huge difference there! A royal woman does not have to dress like an Renaissance lady (an older lady)to be fashionable either.

And again, I don't see any overly significant looseness in the model's attire. If her bump was further along, the dress would likely fit more snugly, similar to Meghan's.

As far as wedding outfits, I was only referencing the fact that everyone knew Meghan was getting married, and because of some things she'd said previously that had been published in Glamour magazine, it was common knowledge that she admires Carolyn Bessette Kennedy's wedding dress. Therefore, with that knowledge in mind, a number of designers were inspired to create designs based on what they felt Meghan's preference or aesthetic might be for a wedding gown. Also, as soon as Meghan's engagement ring was revealed, there were so many knock-offs advertised, it was head-spinning. ?

You don't see any overly significant looseness in the dress, because it was an example for maternity dress that is not looking like a tent while still not being skin-tight - that was exactly what it was supposed to show. And usually, if you're further along in the pregnancy, you just pick up the dress in a bigger size, that actually fits. Or look for something with a different cut that fits the bigger bump better.

I also didn't say a word about a wedding dress, so I'm just gonnna leave this here.

Well, it is what it is. DoS Meghan is going to please herself and she's never going to be dressing for any one of us, much less trying to amaze us. ? Despite the ups-and-downs, and ins-and-outs, Meghan looks to me like she's enjoying married life and being a British royal and learning about her new country, and meeting her new compatriots, in addition to Commonwealth compadres.

As far as Meghan's sartorial background: It was on Suits that Meghan began to meet a number of designers (that's also where she met her friend and stylist, Jessica Mulroney). There are loads of fashion-related videos on Youtube of Meghan talking about how her fashion aesthetic changed and became more polished and sophisticated during her tenure on Suits. She also wore a lot of her own personal jewelry on the show. She created two capsule clothing collections for Reitmans department store that sold out. She also gave fashion tips and accessorized models, along with providing fashion commentary for the Today show on several occasions.

(...)

I guess the tabloids and some fashion observers didn't happen to get that message.

I don't think we should start a discussion about Meghan enjoying her marital life in the fashion thread - there are other places to talk about that, here we should really stick to fashion.

I also don't don't see any reason for your frustration, nor for your sarcasm that you're currently throwing at me.

As far as her wardrobe for Suits, most of it was awesome. It was very well fitted, worked very well with her body shaped and she looked amazing in 99% of it, with some odd thing here or there. I love the style of the characters on this show, the wardrobe department has been doing a great job since the first episode. I think she should try to get inspired more based on what she was wearing at that show, because it was great.

And as far as that quote, I'm pretty sure there's a lot of kind designers who also make clothing that she would look amazing in. And I think Givenchy is a good example of that, Clare Waight Keller is doing an amazing job and Meghan looks very good in her designs. There's a whole other issue with not wearing enough of British designers, but yeah, Meghan's clothes from Givenchy were all amazing.

not sure i like her last look i have nothing against jeans or an casual attire but this one is totally messy and not for job meeting if you want to be taking seriously even for informal work meeting
the Duchess is a beautiful lady i just sometimes feel like she doesn't know how to dress appropriately for the events she's attending

I’ll bet most of us have this identical outfit in our closets, right down to the holey-kneed jeans.

I don’t like ripped jeans. Never have. I know it’s a fashion trend for some. To me, it looks sloppy.

My daughter isn't a real fan of them and she's 19. I don't care for them as well, but IMO this is Meghan's "off duty" time so I really don't care what she choose to wear when she's not "on duty."?

You don't see any overly significant looseness in the dress, because it was an example for maternity dress that is not looking like a tent while still not being skin-tight - that was exactly what it was supposed to show. And usually, if you're further along in the pregnancy, you just pick up the dress in a bigger size, that actually fits. Or look for something with a different cut that fits the bigger bump better.

. . . . . . As far as her wardrobe for Suits, most of it was awesome. It was very well fitted, worked very well with her body shaped and she looked amazing in 99% of it, with some odd thing here or there. I love the style of the characters on this show, the wardrobe department has been doing a great job since the first episode. I think she should try to get inspired more based on what she was wearing at that show, because it was great.

And as far as that quote, I'm pretty sure there's a lot of kind designers who also make clothing that she would look amazing in. And I think Givenchy is a good example of that, Clare Waight Keller is doing an amazing job and Meghan looks very good in her designs. There's a whole other issue with not wearing enough of British designers, but yeah, Meghan's clothes from Givenchy were all amazing.
I liked the cream ensemble. It made her look snuggly warm (if you didn't look at the goosebumps on her legs). As to the jeans? Okay, I don't see the point in actually buying jeans with holes but hey, whatever floats your boat.

As to the reason for the coffee? Was it a meeting with employees, a casual moment or were they all stressed and Megan says "how about we go get one of those terrific coffees at . . . ? Not a meeting just a casual sharing of each other's company to decompress.

Any of those would be a get out of jail free card from me.

As to Meghan's 'Suits' wardrobe, I agree it was amazing, however, are there any photos around that indicate that 'Rachel's' wardrobe had anything in common with Meghan's? It could be as easy as that, not her thing so to speak.

You know her choice of pants was off because the person she was meeting with was dressed up! Trousers and buttoned shirt I believe.
And she is technically is boss, I expect my boss to dress even smarter than me.

Again, it comes down what is typically expected. I highly doubt all the royals show up dressed up unless they are “receiving” someone. I couldn’t careless if my boss is wearing jeans. We see each other everyday. Certain things just don’t matter nearly as much. Besides it’s not as if she’s dressed going to the park. She’s dressed up even if in ripped jeans.

And just so we are clear, I neither work in the restaurant industry or fashion industry. I work in the finance department of a Fortune 200 company. So let’s not stereotype.

Last edited:
As to Meghan's 'Suits' wardrobe, I agree it was amazing, however, are there any photos around that indicate that 'Rachel's' wardrobe had anything in common with Meghan's? It could be as easy as that, not her thing so to speak.

According to Suit's costume designer Meghan loved Rachel's clothes and would happily wear them in real life if she could. See this interview in Harpers Bazaar:
"Meghan and I loved Rachel's clothes. We’d always say that, if we could, we would live in Rachel’s clothes."

Maybe most. In that case I am happy to be part of the minority :D

Although, in this part of the world it surely doesn't get out that much because I don't think I've seen jeans like that worn by a grown woman for a very long time.

I wish that were true. I have seen them everywhere in the States. To me it proves that a designer can sell torn clothing for a lot of money to many fools.

:previous:
:lol:, and those with deep pockets that buy clothes with holes have more money then common sense. It could be anybody out there that wears clothes with holes, not just a royal yet fashion has lost it's sense of style of being chic and elegant and classy if clothes with holes is the way to go.....I'll keep the money instead of wasting it on clothes with holes for my scissors work great...:lol:, for they can make great holes ...

Last edited:
The holey look is not attractive to me but it's Meghan's private time.
I find it a little odd that she would have priate business meetings in a public place, and without being well dressed.

According to Suit's costume designer Meghan loved Rachel's clothes and would happily wear them in real life if she could. See this interview in Harpers Bazaar:

Meghan has talked about similiarities and differences between her and Rachel’s style. While Rachel has adopted certain things from Meghan’s style, like not doing a lot of prints and using Meghan’s personal jewelry, she has also has differences to Rachel’s wardrobe. She’s talked about not wanting to wear another pencil skirt as she wears so many of them on the show.

She has borrowed from Suits closet before, but I get the impression that Meghan’s personal style is a lot more relaxed than Rachel’s. Which make sense given Rachel works in a law firm, and Meghan is a California girl through and through. While most in a law firm wouldn’t wear what they worn on Suits, it’s still a lot more business wear than what we’d see Meghan in.

I find it a little odd that she would have priate business meetings in a public place, and without being well dressed.
I agree with you, why on earth she had a private meeting in a public eye, where she knew she would be photographed?
I think being in her personal time she was looking great, don't mind the jeans just I applause her for using high heels when she did not need!

I agree with you, why on earth she had a private meeting in a public eye, where she knew she would be photographed?
I think being in her personal time she was looking great, don't mind the jeans just I applause her for using high heels when she did not need!

It’s no different than other royals doing things when they aren’t carrying out engagements. Just happens this time she was caught coming out of the restaurant. She’s managed pretty well so far in terms of getting around without a photograph getting out.

Holey, washed out jeans were/are a trend. Just like bell bottoms and go go boots were once upon a time. Holey jeans represent the "Grunge" trend that hit the fashion scene in the 1990s. Some people still wear bell bottoms. Some people still dress "Grunge" or even as we've seen in NCIS with Abby Sciuto, "Goth". My go go boots got up and went without a forwarding address many moons ago. However, I can honestly say I wear "granny glasses". :lol:

https://m.wikihow.com/Dress-Grunge

ETA: We're all affected by trends one way or another. I never realized just how much I was affected until writing this post. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that back in the 1990s, I was going to clubs and dressing "Goth" with a wee bit of "Grunge" thrown in. Trends get mass marketed. We attune to the signs of the times, the trends, the music, the culture. Those in the public eye draw our attention to their clothing and we see something we like, we imitate. I bet we've all done that from time to time. I think I still have a couple pairs of granny boots in my closet somewhere too.

It could be worse though. Meghan could have resonated with the hot pants and boots era. ;)

Last edited:
I loved the sparkly dress it was lovely. I have to say I think Meghan looks way more then 6 months pregnant. I find a lot of what she wears pretty boring this is probably my favourite evening look of hers so far.

Perhaps her thought is: this is my private time, I’m dressed as I please, and if you stare at me or at my photograph, I don’t care if you don’t like the way I am dressed. You don’t need to look at me.

That's just it. She was on her private time and happened to be "spotted" doing it. She wasn't at an event or representing the Queen or her charities and patronages. We just don't know the specifics of what she was doing and she's not about to tell us.

A lot of people have done worse. Ever hear of the mother that put a coat on over her pajamas to run her child's forgotten lunch to school? I resemble the remark. :D

A lot of people have done worse. Ever hear of the mother that put a coat on over her pajamas to run her child's forgotten lunch to school? I resemble the remark. :D

Is that the same mother who got a flat tire in the school parking lot? (Just asking)

That's just it. She was on her private time and happened to be "spotted" doing it. She wasn't at an event or representing the Queen or her charities and patronages. We just don't know the specifics of what she was doing and she's not about to tell us.

Yeah that's just it. We can't say what she was wearing was inappropriate because we have no actual idea what this "meeting" was about or who else was there etc. All we have is speculation.

For the very most part everything she's worn to an official engagement has been appropriate even if not always peoples favourite style/colours.

With the ripped jeans and giant aviator sunglasses, Meghan looked like she went to lunch disguised as Victoria Beckham :lol:

Don't forget the messy hair! :flowers:

Again, it comes down what is typically expected. I highly doubt all the royals show up dressed up unless they are “receiving” someone. I couldn’t careless if my boss is wearing jeans. We see each other everyday. Certain things just don’t matter nearly as much. Besides it’s not as if she’s dressed going to the park. She’s dressed up even if in ripped jeans.

And just so we are clear, I neither work in the restaurant industry or fashion industry. I work in the finance department of a Fortune 200 company. So let’s not stereotype.

Would you dare wear jeans when meeting an employee for lunch?

I’ve worked in offices and restaurants, hotels and call centers, each had their own uniform I needed to adjust myself to.
Her clothes while on the clock are her uniform- as she wa sneering her employee in the middle of the day, i’ll assume this was a work meeting and not social hour.
I’m gonna assume none of the other royals will wear jeans to the office (unless they were doing something else and make a quick stop to grab something from it)

She was having lunch or maybe just coffee with someone who is her employee not her friend, therefore this was a working lunch and not her private time.
Seeing the smartly way her companion was dressed in this was obviously work time for him therefore should have also been for her.

You last two lines is why we’re all saying this outfit was not appropriate for this meeting or even just grabbing coffee.

Yeah that's just it. We can't say what she was wearing was inappropriate because we have no actual idea what this "meeting" was about or who else was there etc. All we have is speculation.

For the very most part everything she's worn to an official engagement has been appropriate even if not always peoples favourite style/colours.

Doesn’t matter: if it was during office hours it was work. Seeing how smartly dressed her companion was it makes sense that he was on his office hours which likely mean so was she.

She was having lunch or maybe just coffee with someone who is her employee not her friend, therefore this was a working lunch and not her private time. Seeing the smartly way her companion was dressed in this was obviously work time for him therefore should have also been for her.

My question is how do we know that this was "work" and the companion was an "employee"? In the world I live in, its not unusual to make friends and enjoy a lunch with members of the opposite sex regardless if they have a professional relationship or not. Why are we assuming this is "work" related and not two friends meeting for coffee or lunch? We also do not know where the rest of the day takes these two people. Meghan may head back to Nott Cott and the companion is off to a meeting with his pastor at his church or meeting his wife for dinner later on. We just don't know. ?

I just don't want to pass judgment on a quick "spotted" photo when we don't have the entire story and we're not about to get it either. It was Meghan's private time. That, really, is all that matters to me.

ETA: The person has been identified as Meghan's new deputy press secretary Christian Jones. We don't know why they got together but if they're getting to know each other, the last thing I would picture Meghan doing is wanting to create an aura of "formality" around the meeting with someone she's going to be associating very closely with in the future. :D

Last edited:
My question is how do we know that this was "work" and the companion was an "employee"? In the world I live in, its not unusual to make friends and enjoy a lunch with members of the opposite sex regardless if they have a professional relationship or not. Why are we assuming this is "work" related and not two friends meeting for coffee or lunch? We also do not know where the rest of the day takes these two people. Meghan may head back to Nott Cott and the companion is off to a meeting with his pastor at his church or meeting his wife for dinner later on. We just don't know. ?

I just don't want to pass judgment on a quick "spotted" photo when we don't have the entire story and we're not about to get it either. It was Meghan's private time. That, really, is all that matters to me.

ETA: The person has been identified as Meghan's new deputy press secretary Christian Jones. We don't know why they got together but if they're getting to know each other, the last thing I would picture Meghan doing is wanting to create an aura of "formality" around the meeting with someone she's going to be associating very closely with in the future. :D

Frankly, the jeans or jeans-with-holes do not bother me, even if it was lunch with a colleague. That is her choice, and as she was not on a public engagement, it is not for me to comment on. However, what is somewhat irksome is that, to me, it was a very Hollywood (which probably she aspired to, but was never really part of) or celebrity look, one that was odds with that of a royal, albeit a royal in a supporting role.

Back
Top Bottom