The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes it is a question...they don't know (past what Charles pay for in the way of working clothing) who pays for what and what things cost. Nor do they know how much is spent a year etc.

Meghan brought clothes with her and she has money to buy clothes with as well. It's not like Harry married a girl from the local store living paycheck to paycheck.

LaRae
Why would a former TV show actress pay for her work clothes when she is married to a wealthy man, whose father funds their entire lifestyle?
My guess is in her girder life, a lot if her clothes were freebies provided by stylists and fashion houses trying to get done visibility.

Why would a former TV show actress pay for her work clothes when she is married to a wealthy man, whose father funds their entire lifestyle?
My guess is in her girder life, a lot if her clothes were freebies provided by stylists and fashion houses trying to get done visibility.

They don't have an unlimited budget. She may or may not chip in and buy some of her own working clothes...none of us know. Regardless what the DM says.

LaRae

They don't have an unlimited budget. She may or may not chip in and buy some of her own working clothes...none of us know. Regardless what the DM says.

LaRae
Theoretical possibility, but highly unlikely, IMO

While red carpet looks are often borrowed, it's highly unlikely a lot of her personal clothes were paid for that way. It's well known actors' red carpet looks are borrow, but it is not same case for the private wardrobe. Do they get free stuff at times? Sure. But it's in the same frequency. And certainly not when Toronto isn't known for paparazzi shots.

What we have seen is that there are stuff we know that are from her personal collection that shows up in her work. It's likely they have some that are bought with the intent for work, while the personal shopping is on their own. But if something in her closet works, it'll come with.

I’ll bet most of us have this identical outfit in our closets, right down to the holey-kneed jeans.

Unfortunately I don’t have the legs for holey-kneed jeans but I agree with the principle.

That coat is delightful! Repeat of the shoes from Wednesday I *think*.

EDIT: Nope might be wrong about the shoes.

Unfortunately I don’t have the legs for holey-kneed jeans but I agree with the principle.

That coat is delightful! Repeat of the shoes from Wednesday I *think*.

EDIT: Nope might be wrong about the shoes.

I think she wore those shoes for the Sussex visit. The coat looks like a Mackage.

Love the coat and bag in this latest pic...

LaRae

I’ll bet most of us have this identical outfit in our closets, right down to the holey-kneed jeans.

One pair I think and it was purchased without the hole over 15 years ago (and it’s high time for me to mend that ever growing hole), I will never dare to wear them to a business meeting- no matter how friendly I may be with the person- it shows a complete lack of respect to the person you’re meeting with, and trust me I come from the country of laid back business wear.
In fact i’m fairly sure my grandma may come and haunt me from the beyon if I do.

One pair I think and it was purchased without the hole over 15 years ago (and it’s high time for me to mend that ever growing hole), I will never dare to wear them to a business meeting- no matter how friendly I may be with the person- it shows a complete lack of respect to the person you’re meeting with, and trust me I come from the country of laid back business wear.
In fact i’m fairly sure my grandma may come and haunt me from the beyon if I do.
Lol, I agree with you completely. Also, thanks for your pantyhose comments earlier. They do keep you warm, kind of like long underwear. Many women wear them under trousers in the winter where I live for just that reason.
Her white day dress was ruched on the side, that could be a reason for so many wrinkles. However, way too tight, imo, even if you like the tight maternity look. She's too far along for that dress now. Maternity wear is weird, some of it only suitable for 5 mos. pregnant women, especially the cheaper items, as this dress is. I love her hair and makeup and jewelry for the evening look. CP Victoria's dress was a better style than this one. Too much fussiness and overlapping, etc in the waist area on the Mouret dress.

I still think of the holey, washed out shorts that I absolutely loved that kept me on my toes. My mother would throw them in the trash and I'd have to fish 'em out again. I loved those shorts.

I'm the last person to come to about fashion and designers and costs of an item. I don't look for or really couldn't name a designer unless I've heard the name a gazillion times and price tags are only applicable to me when its my wallet that will have to be opened. I just look and see what I like or what I don't like.

A $1.00 blouse from the Salvation Army store may appeal to me more than a designer $4,000 blouse. Its all personal taste. ?

I love the casual look. She looks comfortable and natural. Great coat. :flowers:

I am usually not a fan of sequins but I actually like this on Meghan as I liked a similar look in Victoria. This is one if those times even those who cry for her to wear color should be happy for the dark navy. A bright color would have made it over the top and like a costume.

CP Victoria's dress was a better style than this one. Too much fussiness and overlapping, etc in the waist area on the Mouret dress.

Have to agree with you, Victoria's dress was much nicer,and a better fit. Meghan's had far too much going on, and again, IMO, was too tight.

What we have seen is that there are stuff we know that are from her personal collection that shows up in her work. ........But if something in her closet works, it'll come with.

I agree with you on this. If there were clothes and accessories that she had previously that are suitable now, they will continue to pop up.

I still think of the holey, washed out shorts that I absolutely loved that kept me on my toes. My mother would throw them in the trash and I'd have to fish 'em out again. I loved those shorts.

I'm the last person to come to about fashion and designers and costs of an item. I don't look for or really couldn't name a designer unless I've heard the name a gazillion times and price tags are only applicable to me when its my wallet that will have to be opened. I just look and see what I like or what I don't like.

A $1.00 blouse from the Salvation Army store may appeal to me more than a designer $4,000 blouse. Its all personal taste. ?

I love my hole-up pair of jeans too, actually I went through my wardrobe looks like I have four of them, but I would never wear them to a business meeting. Around the house? Sure, groceries shopping? For sure. When i’m going to my sister? Debatable, but okay.
Never to a business meeting.

And I too have items in my closet from second hand stores. That was not the point I was making. There is business attire and there is leisure attire.

Oh I'm definitely on board with you as far as dressing appropriately for the occasion. Whatever it may be. There's a time and a place for everything.

Maybe most. In that case I am happy to be part of the minority :D

Although, in this part of the world it surely doesn't get out that much because I don't think I've seen jeans like that worn by a grown woman for a very long time.

Last edited:
And I too have items in my closet from second hand stores. That was not the point I was making. There is business attire and there is leisure attire.

There is a difference between a business meeting than a working lunch. Whilst I wouldn’t wear jeans to meet with a client. A coworker is a different story. I’ve had working lunch where our VP is in jeans.

There is a difference between a business meeting than a working lunch. Whilst I wouldn’t wear jeans to meet with a client. A coworker is a different story. I’ve had working lunch where our VP is in jeans.
And did the jeans have holes in them?

With the ripped jeans and giant aviator sunglasses, Meghan looked like she went to lunch disguised as Victoria Beckham :lol:

And did the jeans have holes in them?

He’s near retirement age. That’d cause more of a pause from me than the fact that he’s wearing them to lunch. :lol: But others my age? Yes I’ve seen them. But that’s on a day we aren’t going to the office. Personally jeans isn’t my thing. I don’t have the legs for the type of jeans she’s wearing. So I’d have to go for the tight ones to put together a fashionable look, and that’s just not too comfortable. When I worked in consulting, weekends in the office meant yoga pants and slip on shoes. One time when I showed up on Sunday in a maxi dress and heels, I actually was asked by a Partner why I was so dressed up (it was Easter and I came just came from a lunch get together). Now I’m not sure how every Royal is dressed when they swing by the KP office unless they are “receiving” someone. It’s a different dynamic than say you or I at the office and our bosses. Point being, it’s different depending on situations.

Last edited:
Maybe most. In that case I am happy to be part of the minority :D

Although, in this part of the world it surely doesn't get out that much because I don't think I've seen jeans like that worn by a grown woman for a very long time.

I'm also part of the minority; when my jeans get a hole, I throw them away! :lol:

(I really dislike the ripped jeans look; I don't think it looks sexy, just sloppy.)

I'm also part of the minority; when my jeans get a hole, I throw them away! :lol:

(I really dislike the ripped jeans look; I don't think it looks sexy, just sloppy.)

I don't wear jeans at all :whistling:

And would not continue wearing clothes with a hole in it nor buy clothes with holes :)

Mad About Meghan
The evening gown is a gorgeous shade of navy and the sparkles are divine and suit DoS Meghan. I love Prince Harry's deep navy matching suit. They continue to look so happy, at ease together and in tune with each other, often mirroring each other's gestures and movements.

Some of the first pictures I saw of the evening gown, I did not find very flattering, as they were taken straight on. The pictures that are in profile or at an angle are much more flattering. And in the videos with Meghan moving and talking with other guests at the reception line, it's possible to see the dress detail at the top of her bump with more clarity. I think the styling of the Roland Mouret gown is very lovely, and as usual, Meghan is so graceful and erect when she walks, even pregnant and wearing high heels! I continue to be amazed at how well she's handling everything on her plate these days.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DxDcOJNW0AAzQKm.jpg:large

I really like the upper part of the gown but not the lower part (large split and shoes). She wore the same style of shoes as the model (see link in post above).

... Uhm, you do realize maternity clothes have sizes, right? And that it was just an example of a dress that has this nice, a bit loose fit, but is still showcasing the bump and doesn't look like a tent? I'll make sure to link something with the model further along in her pregnancy next time, since we have to be so specific :bang:

Also, not to burst your bubble or anything, but that dress was there, styled exactly like that, long before Meghan's visit to the Hubb. Maybe it's because short dress with thick tights is one of the most popular trend during colder months all around the world, maternity or not, but I'm pretty sure Meghan didn't discover a new continent with that outfit.

Look, we happen to disagree re Meghan's maternity attire. I thought she looked fine in the cream dress with cream coat. I don't see any reason for your frustration, nor for your sarcasm and exaggeration on this topic.

I said that your linked pic of the model's stockings and boots reminded me of what Meghan wore in November, not necessarily that what Meghan wore directly inspired the model's styling. It could have been the other way around for all we know. In any case, as you say, it's not as if dark stockings with short boots is such an innovation that's never ever been seen before. And again, I don't see any overly significant looseness in the model's attire. If her bump was further along, the dress would likely fit more snugly, similar to Meghan's.

As far as wedding outfits, I was only referencing the fact that everyone knew Meghan was getting married, and because of some things she'd said previously that had been published in Glamour magazine, it was common knowledge that she admires Carolyn Bessette Kennedy's wedding dress. Therefore, with that knowledge in mind, a number of designers were inspired to create designs based on what they felt Meghan's preference or aesthetic might be for a wedding gown. Also, as soon as Meghan's engagement ring was revealed, there were so many knock-offs advertised, it was head-spinning. ?

Happy DoS Meghan following. ?

Back
Top Bottom