The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 6: May 2022 - November 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She looks lovely. I don’t see bland, I see elegantly understated which is spot on for her appearance today. Anything that ‘sang out’ would have been interpreted as attention seeking.

She looks lovely. I don’t see bland, I see elegantly understated which is spot on for her appearance today. Anything that ‘sang out’ would have been interpreted as attention seeking.

I totally agree with this. If she had worn bright pink (like Zarah) or orange (Eugenie), she would have been called out for attention seeking. She dressed elegant in a discrete colour and looked lovely and appropriate.

It looks like she raided the mumsy section of Kate's closet.

If she wears any colour which brighter than any ladies the media probably is going to fuss about that :ninja: Anyway I think this elegant outfit needs such soft understated colour.

The color is fine, the hat is fine. My only gripe is that I wish the style was different. Meghan is short-waisted and she wears many of these coat dresses that, for me, don't fit her well. She has a lovely figure but these type of dresses don't do much for her. IMO, they actually make her look thicker that what she is.

The front is lovely but I don’t like the cape bit on the back.

Yes. I like the outfit, both hat and dress. Very classic and stylish. I even like the shoes!

Agree!

Looks elegant while also being sort of glam and modern (for me).

Not overly fussy.

Meghan staying true to herself by not wearing bright colors, sometimes I think she just has beef with them.

The only thing I'm unsure about, are the gloves when she was leaving but that might be because I'm not really a gloves person but I like the outfit better without them.

The color is fine, the hat is fine. My only gripe is that I wish the style was different. Meghan is short-waisted and she wears many of these coat dresses that, for me, don't fit her well. She has a lovely figure but these type of dresses don't do much for her. IMO, they actually make her look thicker that what she is.

I agree. The gloves were very nice; the actual dress is in line with many of her other poorly-tailored picks.

My first thought when I saw the dress is it didn’t seem very flattering on her. I think you’re right about it making her thicker than she is.

Meghan likes a lot neutral and monochrome outfits. So, this is fairly typical. The color is fine.

Her hat was nice. That was the best part imo.

I think Meghan looks great. She had a thick waistline even before her pregnancies, so it just has to be accepted.

The outfit does need a bit of color but is overall very elegant. Her face is naturally gorgeous...she doesn't need much help there. But I really love that muted lipstick and overall makeup.

I think she looked terrific. The cut is nice, but I agree that there are other more flattering styles for her. She wears light colors very well and I thought the handbag and shoes really made the look.

I think Meghan looks great. She had a thick waistline even before her pregnancies, so it just has to be accepted.

The outfit does need a bit of color but is overall very elegant. Her face is naturally gorgeous...she doesn't need much help there. But I really love that muted lipstick and overall makeup.

She could wear outfits that don’t accentuate it. It is what it is- but she could wear other styles. I’ve seen her wear much more flattering dresses.

Her make up is nice though.

I think she looked terrific. The cut is nice, but I agree that there are other more flattering styles for her. She wears light colors very well and I thought the handbag and shoes really made the look.

Was there a handbag? I thought she only had her gloves.

I wish the style was different. Meghan is short-waisted and she wears many of these coat dresses that, for me, don't fit her well. She has a lovely figure but these type of dresses don't do much for her. IMO, they actually make her look thicker that what she is.

Exactly this. I would have much preferred to see her go with a soft pastel color rather than the bland oatmeal/stone type color but even with the chosen color a different style or cut would have made all the difference. Her complexion would have looked fabulous with a soft blue, green, or lilac. This style of coat dress, though, makes her appear much more boxy than necessary. A different cut or style would have helped tremendously. And I understand the concept of trying to create the illusion of a waist using the belt but honestly, it just didn't work. It seems that the issue may have been a combination of the wrong cut and a bulkier material. Overall it just appeared to be very poorly-tailored though I admit that this is often the feeling I have about her clothing choices. The gloves and the cape-piece on the back were a definite miss.

This style of coat dress, though, makes her appear much more boxy than necessary. A different cut or style would have helped tremendously. And I understand the concept of trying to create the illusion of a waist using the belt but honestly, it just didn't work. It seems that the issue may have been a combination of the wrong cut and a bulkier material. Overall it just appeared to be very poorly-tailored though I admit that this is often the feeling I have about her clothing choices. The gloves and the cape-piece on the back were a definite miss.

This is my feeling about the outfit as well. I don’t have an issue with the color. It’s the style and fit that don’t work for me. The whole looked just seemed to lack something.

Her outfit for Trooping (at least what I could see of it) was fantastic though. I loved her hair and makeup.

(..)

The dress is from Spring Summer 2022 collection and they described it as greige (though some people say they saw a lilac undertone in the dress, i didn't see it.)

And apparently, the shoes, hat & gloves were by Stephen Jones via Dior.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought so too but her hands were empty when they came out. I think it just her gloves folded and they give the idea that there is a hand bag.

You are probably right. Even if it existed, I should have called it a "clutch" rather than "handbag."

Most senior royal ladies wore/carried gloves. It's a traditional touch for these kinds of events.

Megan looked lovely and relaxed, I don't think she wanted her outfit to stand out particularly. (..)

You are probably right. Even if it existed, I should have called it a "clutch" rather than "handbag."

Fair enough. I was saying handbag as well haha.

Most senior royal ladies wore/carried gloves. It's a traditional touch for these kinds of events.

Megan looked lovely and relaxed, I don't think she wanted her outfit to stand out particularly. (..)

Thanks for letting me know! I was wondering about that because it didn't look like Zara didn't have any. Is there a special point in which they put them on inside of church or do you know if they come on right before they let out?

And I think it's just the coat/fabric or maybe she has something under it. I've learned not to bump watch the hard way.

Meghan's outfit was lovely for the event and her hairstyle was very elegant.

UPDATE:

Dior posted a tweet about this.

Apparently, it's a just a trench coat and she has on skirt and shirt under it.

Now, I want to see the full outfit. (And I feel like bobo the fool because I just a photo wear you can clearly see the skirt.)

And on their instagram.

They stated that the color is greige and the clothing set under is matching with a wool skirt and silk shirt.

Last edited:
It is a successful appearance.
Her detractors and critics would have a field day if she showed up in anything but muted colors. She clearly knew that.

As the young folks would say "she understood the assignment ". ;-)

Fair enough. I was saying handbag as well haha.

Thanks for letting me know! I was wondering about that because it didn't look like Zara didn't have any. Is there a special point in which they put them on inside of church or do you know if they come on right before they let out?

And I think it's just the coat/fabric or maybe she has something under it. I've learned not to bump watch the hard way.
It seems that the "younger" royals (Zara, Beatrice, etc.) don't bother with gloves, because they are not the core group. I think the senior working royal women do tend to still carry them along with their clutch or purse, mainly when attending church or state functions. You might notice that Kate, Camilla, Sophie, and the Queen often have gloves matching their outfits. The Japanese royals favour this tradition to the extreme, I think!!

The colour is fine. Looks good on her. Hat is nice. But the fit is not good. She looks bigger than she is. Almost square and her legs look thinner than they are. She seems to vanish in her clothes. Sure she can wear somerhing Nice and appropriate. She does not have to hide out of fear of being called attention seeking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom