The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 18: April 2016 - July 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a great fan of lace, too scratchy, and I'm not sure about the length, so I'll pass on her white lace dress, but I love, love, love Kate's hat! It's just an stunning design and the shape and trimming is very elegant.

I think the Queen looked absolutely gorgeous as well. I adore soft colours on her. She wears them so well.

The dress, besides the bottom, is really beautifully done. You can tell D&G are masters at lace. The hat is good too. Much better than that horrible thing she wore last.

Lovely. Might this be the dress she wore to the pageant at Windsor a few weeks ago?

The dress is really pretty when moving. It's a bit meh when she's standing still, but it's so swoopy when it moves!! And the hat is great!

The dress is very beautiful and regal. One of her best dresses.

Just stunning. Ascot has its own fashion rules and barometer and Catherine played it beautifully. Smashing debut

I really like the dress and hat both. She looks very elegant.

LaRae

I love the hat and at first I didn't mind her dress but then I saw what CP Mary was wearing to Ascot and she nailed it. I think where Catherine misses the mark sometimes is that when you wear one colour from head to toe it can be ageing and when you add to that with longer hemlines and sleeves it makes her look frumpy and older than she is.

You know what I really love it! It's classic and elegant.

At first I didn't like the hat but with the movement of the dress I think it really suits!

At first I didn't like the hat but with the movement of the dress I think it really suits!

It almost reminds me of something you would of seen (in longer form) decades ago ...this is an updated version. Quite like it too.

LaRae

This dress looks like something from the 1970's . Kate has the height to carry it off, but is it my imagination , or is the skirt just a little bit see through when the light is behind her ?:ohmy:

I really like this dress and it's a great choice for the event.

I quite like her hat for once so points there :flowers:

But the dress is a fail. The lace looks like a doilie to me, and the bottom of the dress reminds me of a Grannie. Combining the two looks like she took something out of her mother's closet from the 1970's. It would also have been nice to see her in some color.

I love lace dresses and I crochet, but I agree with other posters about the botom of the dress. A very 70's lower end.

The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 18: April 2016 -

It seems that I have the opposite opinion of most posters here: I thought Catherine's dress was beautiful and quite elegant. I'm not a fan of her hat however, it reminds me a little of a TV satellite.

Last edited:
The Duchess looked very elegant today and it was a beautiful choice for Royal Ascot.

I agree. It's kind of meh when standing still, but the pictures and video of it moving shows how great it can look!

My two cents - we looooved it when she went all eastern boho on the India/Nepal tour.
Now, she goes a bit brit boho in lace and we all agonize.

The odds that she will wear at least one of any of these on any given day that any of us do not like are huge: a dress style/dress color/repeat dress/earrings/necklace or non necklace/bracelet/ring or none/shoes/coat dress vs. coat or vs. dress/hat or fascinator/hair down or up or pony tailed or...
And the dress itself: we can choose to loathe the color, fit, style, hem style, hem length, hem motion, neckline, waist, fabric, busyness, plainness, blockyness, designer, sheen, opacity, beading, lace (too often, too rare)...
These are all things I have read here as criticism over the years. And I do critique a bit myself. :whistling:
But this dress at Ascot was no horror. It may not have been to all our tastes, but it was (on the up side) fresh and young. It will not change the world. It was a happy dress for a happy outing. :flowers: JMO

Her hair and hat looked great too. Lots of up hair lately!

LaRae

My two cents - we looooved it when she went all eastern boho on the India/Nepal tour.

The odds that she will wear at least one of any of these on any given day that any of us do not like are huge: a dress style/dress color/repeat dress/earrings/necklace or non necklace/bracelet/ring or none/shoes/coat dress vs. coat or vs. dress/hat or fascinator/hair down or up or pony tailed or...
And the dress itself: we can choose to loathe the color, fit, style, hem style, hem length, hem motion, neckline, waist, fabric, busyness, plainness, blockyness, designer, sheen, opacity, beading, lace (too often, too rare)...
These are all things I have read here as criticism over the years. And I do critique a bit myself. :whistling:
But this dress at Ascot was no horror. It may not have been to all our tastes, but it was (on the up side) fresh and young. It will not change the world. It was a happy dress for a happy outing. :flowers: JMO

This is a fashion thread. What exactly do you expect people to comment on with a fashion thread :ermm: I am not sure where it is your place to regulate what is said, that is for administrators if we break rules. If you tire of hearing this, maybe stay away from fashion threads. Maybe your standards is if its not a horror, don't comment, others come here because we enjoy critiquing fashion good or bad. :sad:

Her Bohemian look in India had some hits and misses. It isn't simply about the style, but the appropriate occasion. In India, for the most part, they looked appropriate. I would argue that this lacy dress is not remotely Bohemian, it is simply less structured for her.

I agree. It's kind of meh when standing still, but the pictures and video of it moving shows how great it can look!

Yes it is really at its best when she is moving. I can see why it appealed to her.

I love the hat and at first I didn't mind her dress but then I saw what CP Mary was wearing to Ascot and she nailed it. I think where Catherine misses the mark sometimes is that when you wear one colour from head to toe it can be ageing and when you add to that with longer hemlines and sleeves it makes her look frumpy and older than she is.

Really? I didn't think Mary's outfit looked like anything special, although it was suitable for the occasion.

Mary's outfit was a lovely color/style but almost to casual when compared to the other Ascot Royals.

LaRae

Not a fan of the frill on the white Ascot lace dress; i think it would have looked much better straight down. But, hey, the Duchess always looks lovely, if not always to my taste. She's trying trying out lots of updos lately; she does have lovely hair. And a really nice husband. And lovely children. And dog. And guinea pig too, I believe :)

Except for the waistline, a nice dramatic dress for ascot, what is needed. Not a fan of the hat bu t goes fine with the dress. Love her in updo.

Very well put.

This is a fashion thread. What exactly do you expect people to comment on with a fashion thread :ermm: I am not sure where it is your place to regulate what is said, that is for administrators if we break rules. If you tire of hearing this, maybe stay away from fashion threads. Maybe your standards is if its not a horror, don't comment, others come here because we enjoy critiquing fashion good or bad. :sad:

Her Bohemian look in India had some hits and misses. It isn't simply about the style, but the appropriate occasion. In India, for the most part, they looked appropriate. I would argue that this lacy dress is not remotely Bohemian, it is simply less structured for her.

With respect, I thought your comments are harsh and completely uncalled for. AdmirerUS is nor criticising you, all that is being said is a wide group of readers are likely to have diverse views.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think she has gone " brit boho". This dress has a retro feel, if you take a look at fashion you generally find "what goes around comes around".:)

The dress is nice, I personally would not wear it, but then I wore this look in the 70's:whistling:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom