Charles III: Coronation Information and Musings - Part 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At least you know they are bringing out the coaches, the thought was there was to be no pomp and ceremony.

Of course there are coaches. It was already announced - weeks ago- that the King and Queen Camilla would travel to the Abbey with the Australian State Coach and return to Buckingham Palace with the Golden State Coach. Anyway, not important. Apparently the idea was the rehearsals have to be done with the actual state carriages visibly exposed: when in London, do as the Londoners do. (Maybe they do not even have covers for storage and transport).

What is an Annexe?
It is a temporary structure built in front of the abbey to accomodate the arrival and dispersal of the Coronation procession away from the public eye. It has been added to the Abbey since the Coronation of William IV in 1831

You can see here the actual monstrosity built for Elizabeth's Coronation. I am glad it has not been done this time around.

Last edited:
Of course there are coaches. It was already announced - weeks ago- that the King and Queen Camilla would travel to the Abbey with the Australian State Coach and return to Buckingham Palace with the Golden State Coach. Anyway, not important. Apparently the idea was the rehearsals have to be done with the actual state carriages visibly exposed: when in London, do as the Londoners do. (Maybe they do not even have covers for storage and transport).

Well both of those are on display pretty permanently. So no they don’t as it happens.

"At this stage it looks like London could avoid the showers in the morning before some develop through the afternoon."

The big parade back to BP from the abbey is due to start at 1pm & take about half an hour so fingers crossed.

At least it's not as dire as June 2nd 1952. Rained buckets & only got up to 11C!

Hopefully the rain will hold off until after the Ceremonies!

Prime Minister announces Canadian delegation to the Coronation of His Majesty King Charles III

The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, today announced that he and Their Excellencies the Right Honourable Mary Simon, Governor General of Canada, and Mr. Whit Fraser will travel to the United Kingdom on May 6, 2023, to attend the Coronation of Canada’s new Monarch, His Majesty King Charles III. Prime Minister Trudeau will be accompanied by Sophie Grégoire Trudeau.

They will be joined by Assembly of First Nations National Chief RoseAnne Archibald, President of Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami Natan Obed, and President of the Métis National Council Cassidy Caron. The Clerk of the Privy Council and Secretary to the Cabinet, Janice Charette, will be in attendance. Canada’s delegation will also include young leaders: Sarah Mazhero of the Prime Minister’s Youth Council, CEO of Young Diplomats of Canada Christina Caouette, founder of Halifax Helpers Rebeccah Raphael, President of the French-Canadian Youth Federation Marguerite Tölgyesi, and Maryam Tsegaye, winner of the global science competition Breakthrough Junior Challenge will attend. Astronaut Jennifer Sidey-Gibbons will also join.

In addition, the Canadian delegation will include member of the Order of Merit and Companion of the Order of Canada Margaret MacMillan and Cross of Valour recipient Leslie Arthur Palmer. They will be accompanied by Canada’s flag bearer, astronaut Jeremy Hansen, who will travel to the moon next year as part of the Artemis II mission. The three will participate in a procession of recipients of national honours as part of the Coronation service.

The Prime Minister also announced the Government of Canada’s intention to award 30,000 Coronation medals to Canadians who have made significant contributions to the country, a province, territory, region or community, or an achievement abroad that brings credit to Canada. Further details on the design and distribution of the medals will be available in the coming months.

------------

The medal news is somewhat surprising. There was no Platinum Jubilee medal (a few provinces filled the void with their own) and a medal for the 150th anniversary of confederation had also been canceled in 2017.

The Telegraph indicated Princess Charlotte will sit in the congregation.

In a sign of the times Irish state TV RTE will be broadcasting for 4 hours on the Coronation.
There have been grumbles from Republican groups and Left parties.

Interesting that all the children were there. Do we know if Charlotte or Louis have a role? Camilla’s were obviously there too…at least the boys.

It’s probably a good thing they are missing school now. All primary schools are gearing up for coronation celebrations. It would be so strange for them.

Charlotte and Louis were probably just rehearsing their part in the procession

Is it already known which members of the Royal Family will be present at the coronation? or will virtually all family members be present?

I had no idea the Pope would attend. And I don’t understand about the huge Canadian delegation. Obviously they all don’t go to the coronation, do they attend the night before?

And I don’t understand about the huge Canadian delegation. Obviously they all don’t go to the coronation, do they attend the night before?

I think they are all attending. A similarly large delegation attended the funeral. I think the realms have each been given a number of seats to give out however they want.

Last edited:
I had no idea the Pope would attend. And I don’t understand about the huge Canadian delegation. Obviously they all don’t go to the coronation, do they attend the night before?

The Pope is not attending,he's sending a representative ,I'm not sure if the Vatican had one in 1953?

Thank you for answering my questions, I misread that a representative of the Pope would come. Also, there has been so much discussion on keeping numbers down, and the two rule was only applicable to royal houses I now understand.

The Pope is a fellow monarch, is a fellow European head of state, is a fellow head of a Christian Church. He will be represented by His Eminence Pietro cardinalis Parolin, secretarius status Sancta Sedes.

A whole horde of Australians are going, too. 14 assorted representatives of sport and the arts and professions in addition to the PM and GG.

Today the republican leaning and always serious Dutch newspaper NRC has a column actually defending the Coronation:

"The UK, and probably the rest of the world, is expected to be glued to TV on Saturday, May 6th, to marvel at the Coronation of King Charles III. Republicans are already complaining that such a charade is no longer of this time. This, of course, remains a weak argument, for saying so actually implies that they are wrong, because it is an affirmation of the opposite.

If something is really "out of date", it does not need to be mentioned. For example, you rarely hear someone claim indignantly that the Roman Empire is really out of date. And Johannes Vermeer is not exactly of this time either, yet the exhibition in the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam is an unparalleled public favorite.

[....]

In this age of social media, the power of clicks is an irrefutable answer to whether or not something is "out of date". The disconcerting fact that Prince Harry can continue his pampered lifestyle by hanging out the royal dirty laundry on the lucrative clotheslines of Oprah Winfrey, Netflix and Penguin Random House speaks volumes about the insatiable appetite of both the Facebook and Tiktok generations for "royal news". The problem of the monarchy does not seem to be that it is "out of date", but rather that it threatens to become a bit too modern.

[....]

The constitutional role of a King is that of an impartial guardian of democracy. A certain distance is necessary for this. When a monarch becomes too approachable and thus becomes an ordinary media personality, he can be dragged into demagogic falsehoods, fake news and other forces that threaten democracy from within. In this light, the fact that a King is not democratically elected actually is the most important argument in favor of a hereditary monarchy.

[.....]

Rituals are an essential part of human life: birthdays, marriages, funerals, graduations and even greetings are generally held in high esteem. Without rituals, our lives would be more superficial, trivial, and colorless. Our lives are made up of a succession of customs and apparently they fulfill a deeply felt need.

[.....]

The British Coronation differs from other European Investitures in the venerable antiquity of the ritual and the intricate symbolic acts associated with it. For example, since the Ninth century, a new monarch has taken a seat on the Stone of Scone. The newly anointed monarch also receives, in addition to the various symbols of worldly and spiritual power, gold spurs that represent his chivalry, which, however, are no longer worn since a modernization in the 17th century, but are part of the regalia, and essential for the ceremony.

[.....]

For King Charles III it is to be hoped that he will be able to prove and sufficiently emphasize the value of all this ritual of state and to offer to the British people, feeling the pressure and burden of daily life, the comfort and meaning we have come to expect from ritual.

Source: https://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2023/05/03/het-nut-van-de-poppenkast-is-symbolische-eenheid-a4163662

Last edited:

The Lord Mayor of London will be wearing his predecessor’s 1953 robe. Since historic robes are allowed, maybe there is a robes group chat talking about fixing robes, borrowing robes, and pouting about having no robes! Would it be tacky if someone wore robes they had no connection to?

Is it already known which members of the Royal Family will be present at the coronation? or will virtually all family members be present?

According to Richard Eden's column in the DM (I know!) not the grandchildren of the late Queen's cousins. Zenouska Mowatt has apparently told him herself she isn't going but that her mother and grandmother are.

Jill Biden brought granddaughter Finnegan (Hunter’s daughter) to London. How did she get chosen as the family member to go? Will she go to all the events with Jill? Maybe she will mingle with the young royals, oh wait, some are not even going to the coronation. So is she sorta of place? Would be cool is Kamala or the Second Gentleman went with Jill.

Jill Biden brought granddaughter Finnegan (Hunter’s daughter) to London. How did she get chosen as the family member to go? Will she go to all the events with Jill? Maybe she will mingle with the young royals, oh wait, some are not even going to the coronation. So is she sorta of place? Would be cool is Kamala or the Second Gentleman went with Jill.

There is no reception afterwards or anything. It’s a church service. She goes. Her and Jill presumably have a nice lunch afterwards. How come she went? Available! I don’t know what her situation is but surely she just wasn’t tied down this weekend.

There is no reception afterwards or anything. It’s a church service. She goes. Her and Jill presumably have a nice lunch afterwards. How come she went? Available! I don’t know what her situation is but surely she just wasn’t tied down this weekend.

Dr. Biden actually has a schedule of events while in London that have nothing to do with the coronation. So maybe her granddaughter is accompanying her to those events.

According to Richard Eden's column in the DM (I know!) not the grandchildren of the late Queen's cousins. Zenouska Mowatt has apparently told him herself she isn't going but that her mother and grandmother are.

I’d expect that. I would say. Charles and siblings and families. Maybe Anne’s oldest grandchildren. The three Kent’s. Gloucesters. Maybe their children. Margaret’s children amd grandchildren. There would be a whole gaggle of them if they invited all the Kant families.

Dr. Biden actually has a schedule of events while in London that have nothing to do with the coronation. So maybe her granddaughter is accompanying her to those events.

Sure but question was about mingling withe young royals. Thst would be no.

The Pope is not attending,he's sending a representative ,I'm not sure if the Vatican had one in 1953?

Based on what Hugo Vickers writes in his book about the Queen's coronation, it doesn't appear that the Vatican sent a representative in 1953:

“The Archbishop [of Canterbury] consulted Cardinal Griffin of the Roman Catholic Church about his possible attendance. The Cardinal did not feel he could be there, but, in response to the Queen’s request for prayers, he directed that the three days prior to the coronation should be a ‘triduum of prayer that God may bless her Majesty and her realms’ and he asked that ‘the entire Catholic community in England and Wales be united in prayer for the Sovereign on the eve of the Coronation itself.’”

Source: Hugo Vickers, Coronation (The Dovecote Press, 2013), p. 65.

Richard Scott, 10th Duke of Buccleuch and 12th Duke of Queensberry, will carry the Sceptre with the Cross in the procession.
He is related to both King Charles III and Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester.
His grandfather Walter Montagu Douglas Scott was 8th Duke of Buccleuch.
Walter's sister Alice married Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester.

Someone on Instagram said that a "confirmed source" revealed that the non-working royals will wear day dresses and hats. If that is true, I would have loved to have seen Lady Sarah Chatto and Lady Margarita Armstrong-Jones in tiaras.

Very moving to know the Duke of Buccleuch will fullfil his duty, despite having lost his wife suddenly three days ago.

Someone on Instagram said that a "confirmed source" revealed that the non-working royals will wear day dresses and hats. If that is true, I would have loved to have seen Lady Sarah Chatto and Lady Margarita Armstrong-Jones in tiaras.

This hardline split has honestly gotten on my nerves at this point, and the basic reasonings like optics aren't gonna cut it. At that point what's the reason for inviting non working royals. Like quite honestly, a tiara has nothing to do with designating being a working royal. If you don't want people thinking they're paying for this humongous family, might as well go the full way and remove those who are 'non essential (which I obviously don't mean)

This hardline split has honestly gotten on my nerves at this point, and the basic reasonings like optics aren't gonna cut it. At that point what's the reason for inviting non working royals. Like quite honestly, a tiara has nothing to do with designating being a working royal. If you don't want people thinking they're paying for this humongous family, might as well go the full way and remove those who are 'non essential (which I obviously don't mean)

Also—-are all those tiaras and jewels supposed to just sit collecting dust? Rarely any reason to wear a raises these days, certainly a coronation should be one!

Otherwise, truly the Royal Family should just sell all those tiaras sitting collecting dust and do something generous with the proceeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom