Charles III: Coronation Information and Musings - Part 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The term came to mind a few years ago, seeing the Jaguar at Harry's wedding --- stripped of it's engineering heritage and brilliance.

There are few sights in the world that make the type of visual impact expertly groomed horses and tack do. Yes, no ?

i cant' see what's so wonderful about them and while Im not a big animal rights supporter, I dont think its a good idea to uses horses now except for riding and light carriages. Cars are perfectly fine and coaches are far too expensive.

If the Gold State Coach is not used, here are possibilities:
The Diamond State Coach: King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla
The Irish State Coach: The Prince and Princess of Wales
The Scottish State Coach: The Earl and Countess of Wessex
Queen Alexandra's State Coach: The Princess Royal and Vice Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence

i cant' see what's so wonderful about them and while Im not a big animal rights supporter, I dont think its a good idea to uses horses now except for riding and light carriages. Cars are perfectly fine and coaches are far too expensive.

If the coaches are no longer used then the Royal Mews will become a museum & the horses will have to be retired or sold on. And the staff laid off.

Last edited:
Im sure the Royal household will do what they think is sensible.

If the Gold State Coach is not used, here are possibilities:
The Diamond State Coach: King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla
The Irish State Coach: The Prince and Princess of Wales
The Scottish State Coach: The Earl and Countess of Wessex
Queen Alexandra's State Coach: The Princess Royal and Vice Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will take precedence ahead of The Earl and Countess of Wessex or The Princess Royal. They are now the third couple in the land, working or not working as royals doesn't change that.

If they do use carriages I can see only two carriages being used - one for the King and Queen and one for the Prince and Princess of Wales.

I'm gonna guess that Charles will have his coronation on the anniversary of his mother's coronation. June 2 falls on a Friday next year so if they make it a bank holiday it'll create a 3 day weekend for everyone.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will take precedence ahead of The Earl and Countess of Wessex or The Princess Royal. They are now the third couple in the land, working or not working as royals doesn't change that.

If they do use carriages I can see only two carriages being used - one for the King and Queen and one for the Prince and Princess of Wales.

Do you still think there will be a procession of the princes and princesses of the blood royal, and would that just happen in cars then? I'm really interested to see what changes will occur with this coronation.

I'm gonna guess that Charles will have his coronation on the anniversary of his mother's coronation. June 2 falls on a Friday next year so if they make it a bank holiday it'll create a 3 day weekend for everyone.

Sounds quiet reasonable. Enough of time to prepare and on that time should be nice weather so people can gather on streets.

When we will heard when coronation will be?

I don't. This is HIS reign now and he needs his own identity/celebration dates. Holding his coronation on the same day as hers doesn't do that. Besides, coronations are almost always around a year after the accession, and it will certainly take more than 8.5 months to plan and prepare for the coronation. I think next August or early September is likely.

A local individual inquired: Can the sovereign have the coronation at a different church than Westminster Abbey?
In 1216 King Henry III was crowned in the Chapter House of Gloucester Cathedral.

A local individual inquired: Can the sovereign have the coronation at a different church than Westminster Abbey?
In 1216 King Henry III was crowned in the Chapter House of Gloucester Cathedral.

Henry III was again crowned on the 17th of May 1220 at Westminster Abbey :previous:

I don't. This is HIS reign now and he needs his own identity/celebration dates. Holding his coronation on the same day as hers doesn't do that. Besides, coronations are almost always around a year after the accession, and it will certainly take more than 8.5 months to plan and prepare for the coronation. I think next August or early September is likely.

I'm willing to bet that plans have been made already, probably years ago.
The BRF don't wait to start planning when it's needed immediately; they organize years in advance.

I think it would be a nice gesture to have the coronation on June 2; it would indicate continuity.

I think it would be a nice gesture to have the coronation on June 2; it would indicate continuity.

That really would be a really nice nod to the past!

I'm willing to bet that plans have been made already, probably years ago.
The BRF don't wait to start planning when it's needed immediately; they organize years in advance.

The first meeting to plan Charles' coronation took place about a week after the late Queen's coronation. She had a meeting with the Duke of Norfolk.

Charles has had regular meetings with the Duke of Norfolk over the past decades (and with the successive Dukes) so the plans are well underway.

The Duke of Norfolk will have had to create three new folders in the past two weeks - one for Camilla's funeral, one for William's funeral and one for William's coronation. He also will have to update his folder on Charles' funeral from that for an heir apparent to one for a monarch as well as for the Coronation.

He also has the notes etc going back centuries to draw upon.

Given how well everything went over the past two weeks we can safely assume that the Duke will have everything planned down to the last detail.

The first meeting to plan Charles' coronation took place about a week after the late Queen's coronation. She had a meeting with the Duke of Norfolk.

Charles has had regular meetings with the Duke of Norfolk over the past decades (and with the successive Dukes) so the plans are well underway.

The Duke of Norfolk will have had to create three new folders in the past two weeks - one for Camilla's funeral, one for William's funeral and one for William's coronation. He also will have to update his folder on Charles' funeral from that for an heir apparent to one for a monarch as well as for the Coronation.

He also has the notes etc going back centuries to draw upon.

Given how well everything went over the past two weeks we can safely assume that the Duke will have everything planned down to the last detail.

This is very interesting. The British Royal Family really prepares everything well in advance.

This is very interesting. The British Royal Family really prepares everything well in advance.

Good idea to plan at least bit beforehand.

I guess that planning of William's future coronation are started soon after Charles' coronation.

Or is there such option that whole ceremony is abandoned totally like Swedes did on early 20th century and regalias are only presence?

Planning for William's coronation will possibly already have begun, along with his funeral.

There is no way the ceremony will be abandoned as long as the coronation isn't just about crowing a secular Head of State but also acknowledging the Supreme Governor of the Church of England.

Remember that the first two people who do homage aren't secular peers but the two Archbishops - Canterbury who will have just crowned the new monarch and then York. Only when both of those two have completed their homage will the peers begin - royal peers first, so William, Harry, Andrew, Edward, Richard and Edward in that order (assuming that they all attend) and then the senior peer in each degree.

It is also a huge tourist draw with potentially the same or even larger crowds going to be in London.

All the coronations in modern time have been held 12-16 months after accession so i’m not that sure that it will be in May or June…. It could also be August, September or October

The arguments for a quicker coronation this time is that it has been planned for such a long time and that the King and Queen will likely be 74 and 75/76 when it happens…

Btw Queen Elizabeth II was the first british monarch to die in the autumn since King George II who passed away on 25 October 1760… He was crowned only 4 months after his accession in 1727..

All the coronations in modern time have been held 12-16 months after accession so i’m not that sure that it will be in May or June…. It could also be August, September or October

The last coronation was 70 years ago, hardly modern times considering how much the world has changed. It's always been said that Charles coronation would be streamlined and held sooner than the previous ones. I'm feeling pretty certain it will happen on the anniversary of the Queens coronation but we will know soon enough.

The last coronation was 70 years ago, hardly modern times considering how much the world has changed. It's always been said that Charles coronation would be streamlined and held sooner than the previous ones. I'm feeling pretty certain it will happen on the anniversary of the Queens coronation but we will know soon enough.

As you point out the world and communication is very different today than it was 70 years ago. I believe (though no proof of this) that there is already a plan, it will be set in motion after the mourning period has concluded.

I meant ofcourse the closest previous coronations in a historical perspective…

Everything we have heard so far are rumours through medias ”sources”… But as Charles coronation has been planned practically since the week after his mothers coronation we will probably soon find out…

Last edited:
Charles wants a slimmed down monarchy and coronation. It may just be the Sneior Royals invited with media filming live.

The arguments for a quicker coronation this time is that it has been planned for such a long time and that the King and Queen will likely be 74 and 75/76 when it happens…

Btw Queen Elizabeth II was the first british monarch to die in the autumn since King George II who passed away on 25 October 1760… He was crowned only 4 months after his accession in 1727..

It won't be in October and unlikely to be September. They will want it when when the weather is likely to be fine and that is more likely during the summer months. London can have good weather in September as we saw last week but any coronation would need to be at the start of the month.

Charles wants a slimmed down monarchy and coronation. It may just be the Sneior Royals invited with media filming live.

More likely as not just those carrying out duties on behalf of the crown will have a role during the service. Other relatives of The King may well be sat elsewhere in the abbey.

It won't be in October and unlikely to be September. They will want it when when the weather is likely to be fine and that is more likely during the summer months. London can have good weather in September as we saw last week but any coronation would need to be at the start of the month.

I would be very surprised if it wasn't sometime between June-August. The very start of September is also as you say a possibility. And even the end of May.

I agree that we will most likely see a coronation at some point between May-September next year.

The last King/Queen who was not crowned in any of those months was George II who was crowned on 11:th October 1727

Queen Elizabeth II had six coronation maids.
Will Queen Consort Camilla have coronation maids?

Queen Elizabeth II had six coronation maids.
Will Queen Consort Camilla have coronation maids?

Most likely. I wonder who she'd choose...Probably her two granddaughters. Lady Louise. Maybe Earl Snowdon's daughter. Maybe her brother's daughter. Hmmm

Could someone please tell me why people are using the word coronated. I was always under the impression that the monaach was crowned.

Could someone please tell me why people are using the word coronated. I was always under the impression that the monaach was crowned.

That irritates me so much as well. It’s such a clunky word too, compared with crowned. I first came across it about six years ago on an online US entertainment site and since then it seems to have spread everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom