Duchess of Sussex: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How is it too much??? Its not like they are having a 'Meghan tour' and they are parading her around just for her. She is accompanying Harry to some of his already scheduled engagements.

Even if Meghan spends the next six months hiding in KP the talk wont die. The talk will just be different. Why is she hiding? Are there troubles in the union? Is she pregnant and hiding it? And so on and so on and so on.
I was in no way suggesting she hide. There are worries about overexposure as with anyone that's in the media. Especially since she doesn't necessarily have the goodwill with the people of UK quite yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although we will see Meghan from time to time as its been stated that she will be going places in the UK in the run up to the wedding, I don't think we're going to see a lot of her. I think she'll pretty much stay in the background except for when she may be out with Harry.

Too much focus on Meghan and Harry as a couple right now would kind of undermine and totally take focus away from everything else the royal family is doing in the way of engagements and duties. For the "Firm", its business as usual. That's how it should be.

I agree with this.

I just hope that Meghan has been given a clear picture of ...court expectations.

I was in no way suggesting she hide. There are worries about overexposure as with anyone that's in the media. Especially since she doesn't necessarily have the goodwill with the people of UK quite yet.

The exposure now is about Building the good will. The problem people seem to have is they don't know, don't see her. The people of the UK are never going to get to know her if she doesn't get exposure.

There is no need to 'ease her in'.

The exposure now is about Building the good will. The problem people seem to have is they don't know, don't see her. The people of the UK are never going to get to know her if she doesn't get exposure.

[...] She obviously won't have as many patronages right off the bat, but that's up to her to find her areas as she takes on more and adapts to her new role. [...] I'm not sure how the palace protocol works regarding that issue though. [...] I'm not sure what the palace feels they need to do to correct that image once Meghan comes into the picture. Is it possible they would keep Meghan back a little bit before the other three take on more? Possibly. They do all work as a team and the overall image is greater than any one individual. I do believe that. I think it'd be a shame if that causes Meghan to be held back from achieving her fullest potential, but it happens in life.

And we don't know if Meghan wants to spend more time at home once she has children. We do know that royal children aren't just handed off to nannies this day and age. I do think that's a balance her and Harry will have to find. I have no doubt they would be able to prioritize both. And if that means they don't do as many engagements as the older royals, then so be it. Many women have to chose between a full time job and being a stay at home mom. That won't b e the choice Meghan has to face. She can tweak it as she goes. I know she's used to long hours at work, but that's when she didn't have a family of her own. We'll have to see how this plays out as it gets.

However, I do think easing her in and having her take a little bit of time and take on patronages she wants to focus on is good. That seems to be the new approach for the younger royals. More in depth focus on fewer areas. And it does fit with Meghan's personality. She likes to know what she's getting involved with. She'll do background work in addition to showing up. And sometimes that might mean not showing up as soon to as many things. They'll eventually have to expand once the older generations retire or, god forbid, passes on, but until then, the youngins have some leeway. It's not a bad thing for the monarchy or for them.

I do agree that Meghan will probably be at more events post-wedding because Harry is full-time but I think you’re underestimating how much there is for her to learn and become comfortable with. Not only that but it takes time to research patronages so it will be a while before she has her own. Being a royal is very different from living a private working life so I think it is important for all new members to be eased in. What that looks like will be tailored to each situation and person, but it would do Meghan no favors to dive in at full speed.

Being a royal is very different from living a private working life so I think it is important for all new members to be eased in. What that looks like will be tailored to each situation and person, but it would do Meghan no favors to dive in at full speed.
:previous: I so agree.

It didn't do Diana or Sarah any favors to "dive in at full speed." The Windsors appear to have learned that lesson very well. Meghan will be adjusting to a new way of life as well as her new country.

I do agree that Meghan will probably be at more events post-wedding because Harry is full-time but I think you’re underestimating how much there is for her to learn and become comfortable with. Not only that but it takes time to research patronages so it will be a while before she has her own. Being a royal is very different from living a private working life so I think it is important for all new members to be eased in. What that looks like will be tailored to each situation and person, but it would do Meghan no favors to dive in at full speed.

Fortunately Meghan has time. Surely she wont be sitting around for the next six months only thinking wedding plans. And she will already have a sense of the kind of patronages she is interested in working with. Having been involved in charity work for a number of years.

I think it might be helpful to take our cues from what the Palace has already said re the immediate future for M&H, and to recall some of the things that Meghan and Harry said in their interview. Right now, they are taking some time out for the Christmas holidays. Then they will be vacationing in an undisclosed location. When they return sometime in late January or early February, they will probably do a bit of traveling around the U.K. Surely their U.K. travel plans have been worked out, or are in the process of being worked out. Meghan is going to play an important role in determining what new charities she will take on under the Royal Foundation umbrella. And apparently she plans to take her time learning more about her adopted country first, which makes a lot of sense.

Another thing to keep in mind is that they have a wedding to plan, which is going to take up a certain amount of their time in the coming months. ? In addition, over the past year, I think we can be assured that Meghan has already been learning about the ins-and-outs of royal protocol and life inside the royal firm. Of course, that learning process will continue apace now that Meghan is finally residing full time at KP and not distracted by her former Suits obligations.

I would agree with @Osipi that Harry & Meghan are not going to cater to our individual wishes and preferences. The fact we don't see Meghan at airports and in the public eye on a daily basis is on purpose. I think it's chiefly to protect Meghan's safety, but also to send the message to the paps and tabloids to calm down and back off. There will be no repeat of what happened to Diana. I think both William and Harry have made that abundantly clear in regard to their respective partners and their private family lives, which they will continue to diligently safeguard.

Last edited:
A number of posts have been edited or deleted as we wish to discourage comparisons between Harry & Meghan and William & Catherine.

Harry's current and future role and responsibilities are the only guage we need to be aware of in order to determine Meghan's (plus additional charities, patronages and interests she might have). So lets stay on the topic of Meghan's future roles and responsibilities.

Please note that posts relating to how Meghan will get on with other members of the Royal Family have been moved to the http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...embers-of-the-british-royal-family-15549.html thread. Once again, let us not bring subjects into the discussion that do not relate to the topic of the thread. Thank you.

Last edited:

I think they will try to find a balance between letting her get to know her new country but they also need the UK to get to know her. I think they are aware of overexposure and it seems that letting her go home after the announcement allowed them to manage the mania part so that it does not overshadow other royal engagements.

I don't see her hiding away, although she does a good job of ghosting the media. She mentioned getting an internship with the UN. I could see her doing the same thing again before jumping in head first.

Looking back at this thread, I have a few questions. How many "full-time" members of the royal family are there? How do they divided up the duties? How many events would Meghan be expected to attend? Will she give speeches? Does she get paid or get an allowance?

At this point in time there are the following who are currently considered full time QEII, Charles, Camilla, William, Kate-(Cambridges are new to full time), Anne, Timothy, Andrew, Edward, Sophie, Richard, Brigitte, Edward Kent and Alexandra. (13) (Sometimes there is discussion as to whether or not Timothy is full time.)
Phillip and Katherine Kent have more or less retired from full time duties though both still make appearances. (2)

There has been no statement yet from KP regarding Harry becoming full time yet though I do I believe that this will happen in the near future. No statement yet regarding Meghan either, so we'll just have to see.?

Meghan can be expected to be at the annual national events: Remembrance Day, Trooping the Color, Family events: Christmas/Easter, weddings, christenings etc.. She'll join in for other events related to the patronages that she adopts and most likely anything to do with The Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry. (Expect a name change after the wedding.)

I believe that this is Europe's largest pool of "working" royals. ?

Meghan will not be paid an allowance from the state. Only the Queen and DoE receive money for their engagements. The Queen assists her relatives for their engagements from her Duchy of Lancaster money. Charles does the same for himself, Camilla, the Cambridges, Harry and soon to be Meghan with his Duchy of Cornwall money.

In the future I believe that we can expect Meghan to give speeches.

Last edited:
At this point in time there are the following who are currently considered full time QEII, Charles, Camilla, William, Kate-(Cambridges are new to full time), Anne, Timothy, Andrew, Edward, Sophie, Richard, Brigitte, Edward Kent and Alexandra. (13) (Sometimes there is discussion as to whether or not Timothy is full time.)
Phillip and Katherine Kent have more or less retired from full time duties though both still make appearances. (2)

There has been no statement yet from KP regarding Harry becoming full time yet though I do I believe that this will happen in the near future. No statement yet regarding Meghan either, so we'll just have to see.?

Meghan can be expected to be at the annual national events: Remembrance Day, Trooping the Color, Family events: Christmas/Easter, weddings, christenings etc.. She'll join in for other events related to the patronages that she adopts and most likely anything to do with The Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry. (Expect a name change after the wedding.)

I believe that this is Europe's largest pool of "working" royals. ?

Meghan will not be paid an allowance from the state. Only the Queen and DoE receive money for their engagements. The Queen assists her relatives for their engagements from her Duchy of Lancaster money. Charles does the same for himself, Camilla, the Cambridges, Harry and soon to be Meghan with his Duchy of Cornwall money.

In the future I believe that we can expect Meghan to give speeches.

Harry is full time. KP announced it in the same statement as William and Kate. Hence why Harry has had CC events almost every day...on par with William (probably more though because of IG).

:previous: Here is the official statement regarding the Cambridges. I've read through it and have not seen any statement regarding Prince Harry.

https://www.royal.uk/update-kensington-palace-about-plans-duke-and-duchess-cambridge-2017

I've searched for one that is of a similar nature for Harry, but cannot find one. If you know of one, could you please share it. Thank you in advance.

Here is the link to all official press releases from the monarchy for 2017.

https://www.royal.uk/press-releases?text=&mrf=&date[min]=&date[max]=&id=

Last edited:
Harry hasn't been announced officially as full time, although compare his number of engagement to his brother's for 2017, he's probably not far behind. I suspect an announcement would come in summer of fall of next year after his wedding. I do feel like marriage is seen as an adulting turn of events at times.

:previous: Yes that is what I recalled regarding Harry that no official announcement had been made during the past year.

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if it is announced that Harry and Meghan will remain as part time working royals after their marriage as they'll be given the time and the breathing space to adjust to married life and perhaps start their family. By all accounts that I've read, having children is high on both Harry's and Meghan's list.

Basically, they'll work for the "Firm" and the Royal Foundation much like Will and Kate did when they first married. I do not, however, expect Harry to pursue any kind of a career like William did with EAAA.

I can picture Harry singing "Little nest that nestles where the roses bloom. Meghan and me, and the baby makes three. We're happy in my, in my royal heaven." ?

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if it is announced that Harry and Meghan will remain as part time working royals after their marriage as they'll be given the time and the breathing space to adjust to married life and perhaps start their family. By all accounts that I've read, having children is high on both Harry's and Meghan's list.

Basically, they'll work for the "Firm" and the Royal Foundation much like Will and Kate did when they first married. I do not, however, expect Harry to pursue any kind of a career like William did with EAAA.

:previous: As always wise statements Osipi. They're embarking on the at least two and possibly three of the big three changes people undertake during their lifetimes: Getting married, setting up in a new home and possibly having a baby. Add to that Meghan is starting life in a new country and in a very public role. In order for this marriage to have a secure foundation, I'd hope that the couple are give the time to adjust to their new way of living.

I can picture Harry singing "Little nest that nestles where the roses bloom. Meghan and me, and the baby makes three. We're happy in my, in my royal heaven." ?

Baby plans doesn't factor into them being part time. The announcement of William and Kate's full time transition not long before the baby announcement. They'll adjust her schedule due to pregnancy. That doesn't affect full time or part time working royal. I think William and Kate had more time away because of his EAAA position and also because they were relatively young. But with the Queen aging and Prince Philip retiring, more support from the younger generation is needed. I wouldn't expect them to remain part time for very long. I don't see them getting the same amount of time to adjust as the Cambridges.

If Harry doesn't have another job, doesn't that automatically imply he works full-time for the firm (including his work for the royal foundation, IG etc)? And because of that Meghan as well?

I have little doubt that Harry and Meghan will become full time. Harry basically is now even if they haven't officially said it. I would guess after the wedding and their new titles are given that we will hear about their status.

Meghan, like Kate, will likely do more part time stuff because I do suspect she will become pregnant fairly quickly. They will do their tour and will be in Australia for IG in the fall but after that I think she will slow down a lot (if pregnant).

I am curious to see what she takes on though. She spoke pretty passionately about finding causes dear to here especially having to give up the ones she was connected to.

:previous: I feel like gender equality, particularly with young girls, would be a big issue for her. While we’ve achieved a lot in the developed world, there Are still soft issues, like being assertive and believing in what you can accomplish, that is different between men and women. These things are quite hard to change once you’ve reached a certain age and some opportunities might have already slipped by at that point.

Also Meghan has spoken out about insecurities for young people before as she experienced it herself. She often talked about being kind to yourself and knowing you are enough, and that’s because she came from a place where she didn’t feel like she was enough. I remember reading a piece she wrote for The Tig that talked about how she felt in high school and the pressure to fit in. Even though on the outside she was popular (she was Homecoming Queen after all), she dealt with a lot of insecurities and was quite harsh on herself on the inside.

Last edited:
Oh yes. I definitely see something involving young girls. She is pretty outspoken about female empowerment and I believe that will be high on the list.

Didn't Meghan once work for the UN in some sort of ambassadorial role? She could take up something like that, advocating equal rights / women's rights etc

Didn't Meghan once work for the UN in some sort of ambassadorial role? She could take up something like that, advocating equal rights / women's rights etc

She is/was an advocate for the UN entity for gender equality and the empowerment of women. As well as being a global ambassador for World vision and a counsellor for One young world.

If they want her to focus on British charities for now, One young world is a UK based charity.

https://www.oneyoungworld.com/

Last edited:
I hope Meghan doesn't do feminist causes; they are too political and controversial.

Honestly I don't think she's going to do anything too political. You can get involved with causes that help women without approaching it from the political angle. She can roll up her sleeves and expose the need for women to have access to sanitary health without lecturing and pounding the pulpit.

IIRC Camilla is involved with some 'women's issues and manages it without causing controversy.

LaRae

There is nothing political about 'feminist' causes. Nor do you have to put a 'feminist' spin on women's causes. Feminist has a completely negative connotation for so many people. :bang:

Camilla works hard promoting charities protecting women against domestic violence. Is that political?? Eugenie is involved in modern slavery causes. I don't see why Meghan cant continue to fight for women's health and rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom