The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 9: August 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MM's latest venture appears to have boosted sales of Highgrove Organic Strawberry Preserve. The King has sold out of strawberry jam! :ROFLMAO:

Worth noting (as the article says):

"While profits from Meghan's business endeavours go to herself, any excess money made as part of the Highgrove brand is donated to charity."

I would imagine Highgrove's product labels have got some decent glue on them, too.
That's wonderful! Even after stepping away from the BRF, HRH The Duchess of Sussex's actions are making money for HM The King's businesses and charities. What a great daughter-in-law!

You've never experienced the joy of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? For shame! LOL
:sick:
For me bread is for pasta dishes, or protein (chicken, beef, burger, etc.) no jam and certainly nothing as sweet as the one Recipient Number Ten is having on that picture above, that sugar will kick me to a wall.

That's wonderful! Even after stepping away from the BRF, HRH The Duchess of Sussex's actions are making money for HM The King's businesses and charities. What a great daughter-in-law!
That's a royal backfire but the good thing is the charity involve is reaping the benefits.

You've never experienced the joy of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? For shame! LOL
I have , I have American relatives and they educate me on jelly/ jam, Jello / jelly, and peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Ribs, Hershey chocolate, peanut butter sweets.

The court case is interesting to me because Harry made it known that he wanted open trials so the tactics and misdeeds of the media companies he was suing would be made known to the public. Harry also revealed that William received a large settlement from The Sun and, if I understood correctly, he accused The Late Queen, other royals and courtiers of striking secret agreements.

I can't bring myself to unreservedly support Harry. I think that he has been wrong-headed and not always honest, but the actions of the media groups involved are more repugnant IMO, starting with the hacking itself and then coming up with tactics that allow them to strong-arm their accusers and manipulate the system.

I understand in theory why there is a rule that states that if a party refuses to settle a case and when the case goes to trial and if the damages are the same or less, then that party has to pay all legal costs, this is to prevent frivolous lawsuits, clogged up court calendars and indulging the overly litigious. However, the deep-pocketed News Group Newspapers (NGN) ), publisher of the now-defunct News of the World and The Sun, has found a way to make this work in their favor by offering high settlements, and according to this article, "[over] the past decade, Murdoch-owned businesses have settled hundreds of similar phone-hacking claims for hundreds of millions of dollars in damages, out of court." To repeat, hundreds of similar phone-hacking claims for hundreds of millions of dollars!!! To me it is unfair for these media organizations to publicly proclaim their innocence and then make these back-office deals that probably come with non-disclosure agreements, or alternatively, the accusations get watered down because the case never went to court so the opportunity to get a finding of fact was denied.

My hope is that at a minimum, if Harry has to settle, that Harry and his attorneys can extract some kind of admission from NGN that they did engage in these unsavory practices to a significant degree, and not continue to carry on the pretence that, despite settling hundreds of cases for hundreds of millions of dollar that they are / were innocent.

Kudos to Hugh Grant and Sienna Miller for laying out the quandary that they and others face in this situation.

Last edited:

Judge rejects Sun publisher’s bid to delay Prince Harry phone-hacking case​

Lawyers for Harry and other claimants argued trial delay to examine timing of claims would be ‘highly disruptive’'

Prince Harry has won the latest bout of his long-running legal battle with the publisher of the Sun after a high court judge rejected an application to delay the trial.

News Group Newspapers (NGN) had applied to push back the trial for alleged unlawful information gathering – which is scheduled for January next year – to allow the court to examine whether claims of unlawful news gathering by Harry and 41 others were brought too late.
[...]

Prince Harry's privacy case against Murdoch tabloids to proceed as planned​

By Reuters
April 19, 20247:05 AM EDTUpdated 4 hours ago
[...]
In total, 42 figures are suing News Group Newspapers (NGN), the publisher of the Sun and the defunct News of the World, over allegations that its journalists, or private detectives they contracted, had been involved in unlawful activities and invasion of their privacy.
[...]

The court case is interesting to me because Harry made it known that he wanted open trials so the tactics and misdeeds of the media companies he was suing would be made known to the public. Harry also revealed that William received a large settlement from The Sun and, if I understood correctly, he accused The Late Queen, other royals and courtiers of striking secret agreements.

I can't bring myself to unreservedly support Harry. I think that he has been wrong-headed and not always honest, but the actions of the media groups involved are more repugnant IMO, starting with the hacking itself and then coming up with tactics that allow them to strong-arm their accusers and manipulate the system.

I understand in theory why there is a rule that states that if a party refuses to settle a case and when the case goes to trial and if the damages are the same or less, then that party has to pay all legal costs, this is to prevent frivolous lawsuits, clogged up court calendars and indulging the overly litigious. However, the deep-pocketed News Group Newspapers (NGN) ), publisher of the now-defunct News of the World and The Sun, has found a way to make this work in their favor by offering high settlements, and according to this article, "[over] the past decade, Murdoch-owned businesses have settled hundreds of similar phone-hacking claims for hundreds of millions of dollars in damages, out of court." To repeat, hundreds of similar phone-hacking claims for hundreds of millions of dollars!!! To me it is unfair for these media organizations to publicly proclaim their innocence and then make these back-office deals that probably come with non-disclosure agreements, or alternatively, the accusations get watered down because the case never went to court so the opportunity to get a finding of fact was denied.

My hope is that at a minimum, if Harry has to settle, that Harry and his attorneys can extract some kind of admission from NGN that they did engage in these unsavory practices to a significant degree, and not continue to carry on the pretence that, despite settling hundreds of cases for hundreds of millions of dollar that they are / were innocent.

Kudos to Hugh Grant and Sienna Miller for laying out the quandary that they and others face in this situation.
Was it really up to Harry to reveal ,if correct, this information with regards William, the Late Queen etc. I do not dispute the main argument you are making regarding the media but the use of the word SECRET where as others settled. It was none of Harrys business what others did, he is actually doing what he complains about others of doing, going to the media with his private information

Was it really up to Harry to reveal ,if correct, this information with regards William, the Late Queen etc. I do not dispute the main argument you are making regarding the media but the use of the word SECRET where as others settled. It was none of Harrys business what others did, he is actually doing what he complains about others of doing, going to the media with his private information
No I don't believe that Harry should have revealed the private matters of any member of this family.

No, it was not necessary for Harry to reveal that William got a settlement and then go further and allege that secret deals were made between the media and the BRF, note some of these allegations were in court papers and others in Spare, the Netflix program and other interviews. As mentioned in my previous post, I find Harry to be dishonest and wrong-headed in certain aspects of this matter, and while I find NGN far more dastardly, if the case goes to trial, it would please me if the claims of Harry that I believe to be dishonest or incorrect get exposed.

One question that I have, although I am not sure if it is known, is has NGN offered settlements to all 42 claimants represented by David Sherborne?

I assume that means that by now he has a green card/permanent residency. As long as he was on a temporary visa, his official country of residence needed to be the UK.

It will be interesting if the UK now also no longer considers him domiciled in the UK as that would impact his status as Councilor of State.
Would this affect his place in the RF line of succession in any way? I understand that many people live all over who are perhaps 327’th in line but I wondered since he’s in the top 10.

Would this affect his place in the RF line of succession in any way? I understand that many people live all over who are perhaps 327’th in line but I wondered since he’s in the top 10.
It will not, as the UK does not impose a residency requirement to be eligible. Harry will be in the LoS until the day he dies, unless the British government passes new legislation to redefine how the LoS works, or the monarchy is abolished.

Jam is wonderful stuff, but is best eaten on scones, with cream.

There's no residency requirement as regards the law of succession.

Jam is wonderful stuff, but is best eaten on scones, with cream.

There's no residency requirement as regards the law of succession.
And it defo has to be jam first, the Cornish way - says I who have lived in Devon for upwards of 35 years! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
And it defo has to be jam first, the Cornish way - says I who have lived in Devon for upwards of 35 years! :ROFLMAO:
Delicious! We were introduced to Devon Cream Tea when we spent our holiday in the South Hams. I am missing it, the scones are easy to bake, the strawberry jam no problem, but it is almost impossible to get clotted cream here since our English Shop closed some years ago.

A new article relating to African Parks.

“After the prince’s acrimonious split from the royal family, Van Beemen was told that senior figures at African Parks debated whether he remained a useful connection. “Didn’t these controversies surrounding the prince pose a risk to the organisation?” was the question that triggered the discussion”

Ouch.

From that horrific article the lines that struck me were:

"...the alleged brutality meted out by staff managed and paid by African Parks appear in a new book based on a three-year investigation into the organization, which is funded by British aid, celebrities and American billionaires."

and
"...Prince Harry was the president of the organization for six years before being promoted to the governing board of directors last year. His new duties include the shared responsibility for the organization’s policy and supervising its management of 22 national parks in partnerships with governments in a dozen African countries."

Because it exposes the tone-deaf celebrity circles that embrace charities overseas, for PR or photo ops, without checking or following up who's behind it and what is done with the money collected.

For example, back in the ancient times we had the 'We are the World' sing-along to help people in Ethiopia during a famine, millions and millions collected that were sent to them. What was never covered, the follow ups, was the money ended in the hands and accounts of the government officials and warlords. Another bad example was every celebrity on the USA supporting the initial 9/11 victims fund where over a billion dollars were given to the Red Cross for the victims and families. Never you heard any celebrity later exposing that the Red Cross decided not to give the funds to the victims but to save over half of it for their own expenditures.

Harry here is, unfortunately, another victim of an organization that used his celebrity status to achieve access to funds and commit cruel acts while at it. Harry had a great opportunity to be an active part of the governing board and acquire experience as an administrator. Unfortunately, his trend continues to be part in-name-only and let the business run itself or run itself into the ground for lack of oversight.

Thos would have been a great experience for him but the pre-Meghan Harry that got involved with this group 6 + years ago forgot to keep up in his post Meghan timeline. Just my opinion because it's what I see and interpret on how this escalated out of control right under his charge.

Last edited:
From that horrific article the lines that struck me were:

"...the alleged brutality meted out by staff managed and paid by African Parks appear in a new book based on a three-year investigation into the organization, which is funded by British aid, celebrities and American billionaires."

and
"...Prince Harry was the president of the organization for six years before being promoted to the governing board of directors last year. His new duties include the shared responsibility for the organization’s policy and supervising its management of 22 national parks in partnerships with governments in a dozen African countries."

Because it exposes the tone-deaf celebrity circles that embrace charities overseas, for PR or photo ops, without checking or following up who's behind it and what is done with the money collected.

For example, back in the ancient times we had the 'We are the World' sing-along to help people in Ethiopia during a famine, millions and millions collected that were sent to them. What was never covered, the follow ups, was the money ended in the hands and accounts of the government officials and warlords. Another bad example was every celebrity on the USA supporting the initial 9/11 victims fund where over a billion dollars were given to the Red Cross for the victims and families. Never you heard any celebrity later exposing that the Red Cross decided not to give the funds to the victims but to save over half of it for their own expenditures.

Harry here is, unfortunately, another victim of an organization that used his celebrity status to achieve access to funds and commit cruel acts while at it. Harry had a great opportunity to be an active part of the governing board and acquire experience as an administrator. Unfortunately, his trend continues to be part in-name-only and let the business run itself or run itself into the ground for lack of oversight.

Thos would have been a great experience for him but the pre-Meghan Harry that got involved with this group 6 + years ago forgot to keep up in his post Meghan timeline. Just my opinion because it's what I see and interpret on how this escalated out of control right under his charge.
These statements caught my attention. African Parks confirmed that they do offer financial incentives to its rangers. Now I fully recognize that rangers in the parks have an extremely dangerous job against poachers. However I have to wonder if some rangers are using any encounter with a person who is foraging plants or small animals as an opportunity to gain a bonus.

"African Parks’s pride at having a “business approach to conservation” was one of the reasons Van Beemen decided to look closer at its ambition, structures and methods. Pay deals included bonuses in the event of armed confrontations with poachers, and confiscations of meat and weapons. African Parks confirmed “primes” — or incentives — were standard practices to motivate rangers."

It will not, as the UK does not impose a residency requirement to be eligible. Harry will be in the LoS until the day he dies, unless the British government passes new legislation to redefine how the LoS works, or the monarchy is abolished.

No, it was not necessary for Harry to reveal that William got a settlement and then go further and allege that secret deals were made between the media and the BRF, note some of these allegations were in court papers and others in Spare, the Netflix program and other interviews. As mentioned in my previous post, I find Harry to be dishonest and wrong-headed in certain aspects of this matter, and while I find NGN far more dastardly, if the case goes to trial, it would please me if the claims of Harry that I believe to be dishonest or incorrect get exposed.

One question that I have, although I am not sure if it is known, is has NGN offered settlements to all 42 claimants represented by David Sherborne?
Like you I do not agree with some of Harry’s actions but neither do I agree with some of the tactics of the press. He needs to be careful though he could end up with a big bill.

News from a few hrs ago. The podcast has been delayed because her other venture with Netflix, a series in a style here in the USA call a 'stand and stir*' show, is in production.

*'stand and stir' is the term used for the Food Network channel on shows like Rachel Ray, the Barefoot Contessa, Giada de Laurentiss, where the host cooks and chats while they prepare a lunch or dinner moment. These type of celebrity-guided shows are now going downhill on TV and replaced by reality food competitions that allow unknown chefs, real chefs and not no-chef celebrities, to achieve success on their careers.

Meghan Markle's New Podcast Suffers Major Setback as It Is Delayed Until Next Year

Excerpt
"According to reports, the delay is due to the company not wanting the "podcast's launch to be overshadowed by Meghan's new Netflix series. The former actress' series will center on cooking, gardening, entertaining, and friendship," and it is currently in its developmental stage."

Last edited:
Prince Harry dons his medals while he speaks of inspirational female warrior and Invictus and Paralympic female competitor, Elizabeth Marks.

The award ceremony was hosted by the Military Times - an independent news website who honour one outstanding military member for each branch of service, based on service that goes beyond the call of duty.

Thanking SFC Marks for her service, he continued: 'Ellie - you embody the Invictus spirit through your selfless service. You know that sport doesn't just save lives, it transforms them for the better.

'And in finding your own cure, you've helped countless brothers and sisters in staying alive.

'Your unwavering commitment serves as a beacon of inspiration, offering hope and setting a powerful example for others to follow.

'I am honoured to call you my friend and can't thank you enough for being you - and for Mason, your husband, for being so supportive of you.’

No, there is no legal requirement to be domiciled in the UK to be in the line of succession to the Crown. However, if he is considered to be not domiciled in the UK, he will be legally barred from serving as a Counsellor of State or as a Regent.

Prince Harry dons his medals while he speaks of inspirational female warrior and Invictus and Paralympic female competitor, Elizabeth Marks.

The award ceremony was hosted by the Military Times - an independent news website who honour one outstanding military member for each branch of service, based on service that goes beyond the call of duty.

Thanking SFC Marks for her service, he continued: 'Ellie - you embody the Invictus spirit through your selfless service. You know that sport doesn't just save lives, it transforms them for the better.

'And in finding your own cure, you've helped countless brothers and sisters in staying alive.

'Your unwavering commitment serves as a beacon of inspiration, offering hope and setting a powerful example for others to follow.

'I am honoured to call you my friend and can't thank you enough for being you - and for Mason, your husband, for being so supportive of you.’
Congratulations to Elizabeth Marks!

Regarding cooking shows...

The trend nowadays seems to be quick rat-a-tat-tat heavily edited FB Reels or Instagram vids that show highlights and refer viewers to a website or comment where the recipe can be accessed. The longer full-blown cooking episodes that also feature floral arrangements or a history of a dish are not as prevalent. Even a complicated dish like Osso Buco with Risotto Milanese is presented in under two minutes.
The old school TV chefs like Lidia and Ina have adapted well to this trend.

British food critic and supper-club host William Sitwell seems to be an exception with his supper club. He hosts these giant wonderful dinners in a purpose-built shed structure on his property in Somerset UK and in the run-up to the dinner, posts Instas giving viewers a look at the prep -- wines, menus, jovial chats with chefs and food suppliers, but doesn't film the dinners. His select crowd of guests like it that way. Sitwell's knowledge of wine and cuisine greatly enhances the videos. You rarely see the actual cooking on his clips, which is good. You can only watch so much of someone stirring brown food.
Meghan may have something like this in mind as she mentioned friendship in regards to her own endeavor.

Back
Top Bottom