Duchess of Sussex: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is what confuses me. If a duke is a higher title than a prince, why did she do it since he already had a Dukedom?

This is bridging to be off topic, but it’s not that simple.

A Duke is not “higher” than a Prince. Being a Prince of the United Kingdom means that one is a member of the Royal Family, either a son, grandson, or in rare cases great-grandson of a monarch.

Being a Duke means that one is a Peer of the Realm, and is the highest rank in the Peerage of the United Kingdom (or any of the peerages of the pre-UK kingdoms).

Harry is not, at this point, as “just” a Prince somehow ranked less than, say, the Duke of Norfolk, and while the Duke of Norfolk is the highest non-royal Duke in the United Kingdom, Harry has a higher place in the order of precedence.

When the DoE married, he gave up his royal titles. He was made a peer of the Realm, but he was not a Prince of the Realm. What the Queen did was make him a Prince as well as a Peer.

When Catherine accompanied William on the engagements before the wedding she was not mentioned in the CC at all - just as if she hadn't attended.

So aides get recognition sometimes, but fiancees do not?:lol:

That is what confuses me. If a duke is a higher title than a prince, why did she do it since he already had a Dukedom? i am not saying the should not have. I am still just trying to figure out how all these titles work. Everytime I think I have it figured out, i get confused again :)
Quickly put, it's (in order of highest to lowest):

1. Royal Dukes (who are usually also princes)
2. Princes
3. Regular Dukes.

I thought about Letizia as soon as I saw Meghan and Harry's interview, because Meghan's confidence and personality stood out to me in much the same way that Letizia's had at her engagement announcement. Usually royal fiancees are (understandably) more reserved in that first interview, but both Meghan and Letizia were very much at ease ... which I perceive as a good thing. For me, it has been very disheartening to see the way that Letizia is regarded by the Spanish people. However, Meghan's situation is fortunately quite different: it's a different country (and, of course, a different royal family) and she's not marrying the future king. Hopefully Meghan will be given a bit more leeway to be herself ... I suspect she will.

Letizia was a journalist and news anchor. Meghan an actress. Both careers require being comfortable and confident in front of the camera and in the public eye so of course they have that in common. That experience also gives them an advantage in their Royal roles.

Meghan seems to be level headed and very much her own person. I don’t see her being swallowed up and reduced to a shell of herself as some seem to fear. She will no doubt find it challenging at times as she adjusts but I don’t see her changing who she is.

That is what confuses me. If a duke is a higher title than a prince, why did she do it since he already had a Dukedom? i am not saying the should not have. I am still just trying to figure out how all these titles work. Everytime I think I have it figured out, i get confused again :)

She wanted him to have the style he was born with - Prince.

She also wanted it to be for him as an honour.

Dukes per se aren't higher than princes but royal dukes are.

In the UK a Prince stops using Prince as their primary style when created a peer of the realm.

Remember that a prince is a commoner and not a noble title so William woke up on his wedding day a commoner and went to bed a peer - he had been promoted from Prince to Duke with the creation of a title in his own right.

Harry is a commoner (as are the vast majority of the BRF) - Camilla, Kate, Harry, Beatrice, Eugenie, Sophie, Birgitte, Katherine, Michael, Marie-Christine and Alexandra.

The peers - and thus those of higher rank - are Philip, Charles, William, Andrew, Edward, Richard and Edward.

Think of it this way: there are three ranks

1. The monarch
2. The peers
3. The commoners

Princes are commoners unless they also have a peerage which is why Kate uses Duchess of Cambridge and not Princess William - because William was promoted from commoner to peer on their wedding day.

With Philip it didn't mean anything much recreating him as a Prince - it wasn't necessary as his senior title - the one that saw him take a seat in the House of Lords and swear allegiance to Elizabeth at the coronation was that of Duke of Edinburgh. It was simply to give him an honour.

Letizia was a journalist and news anchor. Meghan an actress. Both careers require being comfortable and confident in front of the camera and in the public eye so of course they have that in common. That experience also gives them an advantage in their Royal roles.

Meghan seems to be level headed and very much her own person. I don’t see her being swallowed up and reduced to a shell of herself as some seem to fear. She will no doubt find it challenging at times as she adjusts but I don’t see her changing who she is.

I do hope you are right! Other 'non-Brits' have married into the Firm; the Danish duchess of Gloucester and the Austrian Princess Michael of Kent come to mind. Privately, I believe they celebrate the national holidays they were brought up with in order to transmit their personal cultures to their children: I remember reading about the Prince of Wales attending a mid summers eve party at the Gloucester's, for example. However, I feel the new Princess Harry will face a steep learning curve about her adopted country as she goes out into the towns and cities of Britain. She will need to bite her tongue as she may not say what she thinks; she can however take on various patronages, as other RF members have done, to support work that is already being done in the field. I would be interested to see if she is allowed to take on international patronages along the model of the Scandinavian and Dutch princesses; time will tell but one wishes her the best of luck! As Prince Harry said, 'there is a lot of work to do!':flowers:

I do hope you are right! Other 'non-Brits' have married into the Firm; the Danish duchess of Gloucester and the Austrian Princess Michael of Kent come to mind. Privately, I believe they celebrate the national holidays they were brought up with in order to transmit their personal cultures to their children: I remember reading about the Prince of Wales attending a mid summers eve party at the Gloucester's, for example. However, I feel the new Princess Harry will face a steep learning curve about her adopted country as she goes out into the towns and cities of Britain. She will need to bite her tongue as she may not say what she thinks; she can however take on various patronages, as other RF members have done, to support work that is already being done in the field. I would be interested to see if she is allowed to take on international patronages along the model of the Scandinavian and Dutch princesses; time will tell but one wishes her the best of luck! As Prince Harry said, 'there is a lot of work to do!':flowers:

Based on what Meghan said during the interview, it sounds like she already has a pretty good grasp of what her future role will entail. She didn't go into a lot of detail, of course, but she talked about looking forward to getting to know different communities in the UK and working with smaller organizations that deal with causes that she's already passionate bout. I suspect she's done her homework, and it sounds like she's eager to go out and learn and do. It seems like she's already been doing that throughout her life, in various ways. She strikes me as being very adaptable.

It kinda hilarious to me how we were recently discussing how Meghan would spend her time if she were to move to London before an engagement. And now, she's not only an engaged woman but attending actual engagements with her future husband, only a few days after their big announcement. This is really something. Very unexpected but not really surprising to see Harry being supportive and considerate in making sure Meghan is included and not left behind while he's working. So many lovely developments this week. Really can't wait to see her in action on Friday.

Last edited:
I have a question. Or a few, actually. In the future, maybe after she's proven herself and been accepted, will Meghan be able to have some patronages of her own?

Of course. It wont just be encouraged, it will be expected of her. That is part of being a working royal, having patronages you support. Kate had about 6 by the end of her first year, as well as their foundation.

In the months following the wedding we will see Meghan picking up her own.

Its great that we will already see Meghan out with Harry. Good chance for the people to get to know her. And for her to be comfortable in the public eye in her new role before the wedding. Also keep her busy in the months leading up to the wedding, not sitting home while he travels.

Duke is not a higher title than prince. The confusion arises because some senior princes also happen to be dukes.

no of course it isn't. Harry is a Prince, on marriage he will be problaby given a ROYAL dukedom, whhch is different to an ordinary dukedom as a mark of status. But Princes rank higher than dukes...

None of what you said here is true or correct.

The first part was true, the second part wasn't. She won't be a Princess, she will be a Princess of the United Kingdom. If you want to correct someone, make sure you've got your facts straight - not an "I know I'm right" attitude as you have literally stated before. No one here knows whether they are right or not, we can only assume, predict, think and/or feel until confirmation by Kensington Palace.

It's obvious that you are very proud that a fellow American will enter the BRF, but it's not certain at this point whether she will keep her US citizenship. No matter how much you advocate for her keeping it. If she will ditch it, that's her choice.

---------------
In general: I feel that I have considered a lot of flak and been raked over the coals by some for my comment about Princess vs. Princess of the United Kingdom. I already said that I was somewhat in the wrong (that translates into an apology), so you may assume that I have received the message by now.

Meghan will be a Princess of the United Kingdom by her marriage to Harry. She will not be a Princess in her own right. There, I have brushed up my knowledge of how it works.
I was confused by the Princess vs. Princess of the UK thing.

Just wanted to point that out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ish
no she wont be a Princess in her own right because she's not a member of the RF by birth. Anyway I remember lots of people a few years ago claiming that William was going to throw a hissy fit unless Kate was made a princess in her own right as opposed to a princess by marriage...

Meghan will have the rank, title, style and privileges of a Princess of the United Kingdom and of a Royal Duchess. I'm not sure what else anybody could want! :flowers:

Quickly put, it's (in order of highest to lowest):

1. Royal Dukes (who are usually also princes)

2. Princes

3. Regular Dukes.

By that logic, in the 70s the Dukes of Kent and Gloucester (the cousins of the current monarch, and grandsons of a monarch who has reigned some 40 years earlier) were higher than Princes Andrew and Edward (sons of the current monarch), who held no peerages at the time. Actually, by that logic, the Dukes of Kent and Gloucester still rank higher than Edward, who is “merely” an Earl.

But in the Order of Precedence, Edward comes before the Gloucester and Kent Dukes because he is a son of the monarch whereas they are "only" grandchildren of a late monarch.

They have to get all the support people hired (personal secretary etc) pretty soon.
When are royal spouses typically get their own private secretary? I'm assuming some will still be shared by all four, like Jason Knauf is still going to serve as Communications Secretary for all four.

How many staff does the younger royals have? I didn't even know Heather Wong was PH's asssistant private secretary until yesterday. Or that he even had an assistant private secretary.

When are royal spouses typically get their own private secretary? I'm assuming some will still be shared by all four, like Jason Knauf is still going to serve as Communications Secretary for all four.

How many staff does the younger royals have? I didn't even know Heather Wong was PH's asssistant private secretary until yesterday. Or that he even had an assistant private secretary.

Seems like Kate/William have personal secretaries....I figured Harry and Meghan would also.

LaRae

Seems like Kate/William have personal secretaries....I figured Harry and Meghan would also.

LaRae

Harry does have one. It's probably only a matter of time until Meghan does too.

LaRae

I know Edward Fox Lane is his private secretary. I didn't know there was assistant private secretaries too.

Hard telling how much stuff they are juggling behind the scenes.

LaRae

Currently Harry's assistant private secretary seems to be aiding Meghan. She was with them in Nottingham yesterday. Identified by Rebecca English as the woman seen helping Meghan with flowers. Her name is Heather Wong.

Rebecca Deacon, Kate's first private secretary, had actually worked for the royal household for several years before she was appointed to work for Kate.

But all senior royals seem to have one, Sophie seems to share with her husband. Meghan will likely need someone to accompany like Kate has. I am sure they will soon have someone.

But yes I am sure Kate will be a fantastic source of information.

Last edited:
Another issue Meghan can potentially get involved in is self-esteem issues in young people. I know her work with UN Women, One Young World, and World Vision are most well known, but she was also involved with Dove Confident Me. She has also written about self-esteem issues she's had in the past and encourage others to believe in themselves and how to deal with self-doubt. In her goodbye message for The Tig, she specifically reminded people that they are enough.

Another issue Meghan can potentially get involved in is self-esteem issues in young people. I know her work with UN Women, One Young World, and World Vision are most well known, but she was also involved with Dove Confident Me. She has also written about self-esteem issues she's had in the past and encourage others to believe in themselves and how to deal with self-doubt. In her goodbye message for The Tig, she specifically reminded people that they are enough.

I would love to see her do that. I had hoped Kate would, as she had spoken about bullying issues as a kid, but she never really did take it up. William a bit in cyber bullying. It would be fantastic to see Meghan take on the issue of girls self-esteem which is a big issue in the growing population. And it definitely goes along the lines of her interest in women and their health.

What type of ribbon cutting ceremonies might Meghan be a participant of?

What type of ribbon cutting ceremonies might Meghan be a participant of?

Depends on what kind of patronages she is involved in. They usually only do ribbon events if it is related to one of their patronages. Like opening a new wing of a hospital they are a patron of.

Ribbon cutting has just become a synonym for a type of event. The kind we see them frequently do where they show up, do tour, shake hands. On rare occasion they do a speech. Not a lot of hands on actual planning or actual work into the event. The reason they get criticized by many for being lazy, as some people think that is all the young royals do, and don't understand what they do with the other 200 days of the year. As the prep work is never discussed.

I like that the British royals give support to such a variety of groups in Britain wanting royal involvement - whether popular, in need, traditional or barely known. Meghan could find herself cutting ribbons in remote country halls and city hospitals alike. Much of the Queen's work is not glamorous and, apart from her Commonwealth committment, does not involve International travel. Meghan might participate in engagements similar to those carried out by Anne, Sophie, Edward, etc. I wonder what interests her most that she can focus on in Britain? I expect Meghan will attend church services now that she has embraced the Church of England. Perhaps she will support some of their wonderful charities and programs. Without an injection of vitality I fear that many of Britain's churches will crumble and be turned into coffee shops.

Last edited:
I think all the young royals need to work more, and I think it would be a wrong move for Meghan to not be seen doing multiple events around the UK before the wedding. I understand her wanting to spend time with friends and family before her life totally changes, but at the same time she is under such a massive microscope and folks will hold her to different expectations than recent royal brides. I hope we see her a great deal more doing engagements with Harry in the new year.

I still stand amazed she has so effectively ghosted the media. Her mother has been photographed several times even. I wonder if she is really in LA or if she is on a girlfriend trip somewhere else?

I think all the young royals need to work more, and I think it would be a wrong move for Meghan to not be seen doing multiple events around the UK before the wedding. I understand her wanting to spend time with friends and family before her life totally changes, but at the same time she is under such a massive microscope and folks will hold her to different expectations than recent royal brides. I hope we see her a great deal more doing engagements with Harry in the new year.

I still stand amazed she has so effectively ghosted the media. Her mother has been photographed several times even. I wonder if she is really in LA or if she is on a girlfriend trip somewhere else?

I think some people are probably surprised that they would be going around to different parts of UK as she's not marrying the prince that will one day be king. I think it was briefly discussed here before the engagement was announced. Even though she needs some exposure for the people of UK to get used to the idea of her, they also have to be careful of overexposure. Especially the media attention on it. Yes, she blew her first walk about out of water, but at times, the amount of coverage was exhausting at times. I, obviously, don't mind since I like her, but I can see how it can be too much for an average person.

It won't be full speed ahead for her until after the wedding. She should enjoy it, this is the last bit for her private citizen life.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is it too much??? Its not like they are having a 'Meghan tour' and they are parading her around just for her. She is accompanying Harry to some of his already scheduled engagements.

Even if Meghan spends the next six months hiding in KP the talk wont die. The talk will just be different. Why is she hiding? Are there troubles in the union? Is she pregnant and hiding it? And so on and so on and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom