Tiara and Jewels guessing for upcoming events 2: 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Queen will wear Queen Fabiola's Wolfers tiara , Astrid her Aoste tiara and Claire her tiara n°2 , I think they sold the wedding tiara for buying these one.

What is the point in selling a beautiful sparkling wedding diadem for a cheap-looking blackened diadem with plastic-looking "pearls" and rhine-stone looking "diamonds"?

The wedding diadem Elegant, sparkling but indeed quite small

The other diadem The dirty look, the visible monture, the halved "pearls", hmmm... no...

A agree with you. The wedding tiara bought buy King Allbert II and Queen Paola came from the well known antique jewelry shop of Veronique Bamps;

What is the point in selling a beautiful sparkling wedding diadem for a cheap-looking blackened diadem with plastic-looking "pearls" and rhine-stone looking "diamonds"?

The wedding diadem Elegant, sparkling but indeed quite small

The other diadem The dirty look, the visible monture, the halved "pearls", hmmm... no...
Well, the 'point'of selling the wedding tiara might have been that Laurent and Claire might have been in need of money. It's all speculation, of course, but I think that one can say that thriftiness is not Laurent's strongest quality. Anyway, we still don't have proof that the wedding tiara was really sold. There still is some hope to see it on Princess Claire again, imo.

Btw, I find her new pearl tiara quite attractive. Even if it doesn't look very expensive, it has a nice size and a flattering shape. Princess Claire looks very good with it, imho.
On 15. March Queen margrethe will host a Ball for Art and Culture at Christiansdborg Castle As far as i remember at the last similiar occasion the dresscode was black tie with tiaras so i expect the same this year
I think we will see:
The Queen: the baden palmette tiara or the turqiose bandeau
Mary: the midnight tiara
Marie. the amethyst lilies tiara
Finally another ball at Christiansborg! I think that the last one was a Court Ball in 2010. But in 2009 there also was one that was one for Art and Culture. At both balls Princess Benedikte also attended, so there might be three tiaras to see.

My guess is:
Queen Margrethe: her floral aigrette
CP Mary: wedding tiara (but I'm hoping to see the pearl necklace from the Queen's birthday worn as a tiara)
Princess Marie: I also think that the lilies tiara is a very good bet
Princess Benedikte: the pearl and stars tiara

e

Finally another ball at Christiansborg! I think that the last one was a Court Ball in 2010. But in 2009 there also was one that was one for Art and Culture. At both balls Princess Benedikte also attended, so there might be three tiaras to see.

There was also a Ball at Christiansborg a few weeks after the ruby Jubilee inj 2014. And wasn't it a Court Ball 1 or 2 years ago when Princess Marie wore the first and only time her lilies amethyst tiara.
Perhaps we will see the Queen also again in the Naasut tiara.

There was also a Ball at Christiansborg a few weeks after the ruby Jubilee inj 2014. And wasn't it a Court Ball 1 or 2 years ago when Princess Marie wore the first and only time her lilies amethyst tiara.
Perhaps we will see the Queen also again in the Naasut tiara.
Oh, thanks for clarifying that. I had these two events noted as 'Dinners', so my search for 'ball' wouldn't find them. :bang:

I have a feeling that the Queen will reserve the Naasut tiara for highly official events like the New Year's Receptions, because it was an official present from Greenland.

[...]

Btw, I find her new pearl tiara quite attractive. Even if it doesn't look very expensive, it has a nice size and a flattering shape. Princess Claire looks very good with it, imho.

[...]

Really? Look at the blackened metal, the deep and tight in the monture set (and therefore not able to sparkle) diamonds which look more like darker rhinestones and pay attention to the apparently big halved (!) pearls, looking like glued to the monture...

If these were real pearls, they would have been worth a fortune. Really... the whole piece screams costume jewelry to me. A special penalty is deserved for the clumsy way in which the base was added: so visible and amateuristic. I am sure a recommended jeweller would never have done it that way. It is awful.

Clear picture of the diadem.

Last edited:
Oh, thanks for clarifying that. I had these two events noted as 'Dinners', so my search for 'ball' wouldn't find them. :bang:

Could also be that i'm wrong but as for as i remember the Event for the members of the Parliament (which is held once in an electorial periode) is first a Dinner and then Dance and Ball.

Could also be that i'm wrong but as for as i remember the Event for the members of the Parliament (which is held once in an electorial periode) is first a Dinner and then Dance and Ball.
I think that you are correct, there always is a dinner (they show pictures of people in the dining hall) and a dance afterwards (without pictures being taken). I only tricked myself by labeling my files differently, so the search function came up with only half of the events.

Princess Benedikte attended all these Dinner/Balls in the last years, so I expect to see her again this year. She has fewer tiara events than the other royal ladies, so it's the icing on the cake to see her too, so to speak. The cherry on the icing would be Princess Elisabeth, but I didn't see pics of her at the last few balls, so it's not likely that she'll be there.

From 13. - 14.04. the President of Mexico will pay a State Visit to Denmark. So we cann look forward to see the danish Royal ladies in their tiaras for that State Banquet.

From 13. - 14.04. the President of Mexico will pay a State Visit to Denmark. So we cann look forward to see the danish Royal ladies in their tiaras for that State Banquet.

My guesses:

Margrethe: Emerald tiara
Mary: Wedding tiara
Marie: Wedding tiara

Tiaras for Carl Gustaf's 70th birthday:

Silvia - the Brangza like at the 60th birthday.
Victoria-Baden Fringe (like the 60th)
Madeleine - Modern Fringe (like the 60th)
Sofia - (if she's coming) the wedding tiara

Frankly I think it's embarrassing that Sofia is still regulated to the wedding tiara. Almost a year in the SRF & about to produce a successor to the throne and no access to other family pieces besides brooches. She won't get anything grander than Victoria or Silvia (same level as Madeleine), but still, time for an upgrade.

My guesses, for what they're worth:

Queen Silvia: Bragaza tiara
Crown Princess Victoria: Connaught tiara
Princess Madeleine: Her modern fringe tiara.
Sofia: I think there is a good chance she will wear one of the Bernadottes' tiaras, maybe the four button. Otherwise, her own tiara. (If she comes: it all depends on when her child is born).

Silvia : Cameo Parure (come on ! It's your wedding tiara and this year is your 40:th wedding anniversary)

Victoria : Princess Lilians Tiara.

Sofia (if she's attending the banquet) : Her Emerald and Diamond Tiara or the Amethyst Tiara.

I don't belive for a second that Sofia has no rights to wear the family tiaras. To be honest there aren't many options left for her at the moment. It's really just the "not so beautiful 4-button tiara" and maybe also the "Amethyst Tiara" if none of Silvia, Victoria and Madeleine are wearing it. And Lilians tiara went to Victoria. I think that's part of the reason why the King gifted her with a Private Tiara.

And hey, what do we know ? She hasn't really had many "white tie occasions" so far and she may have been offered other options but choosed to stick to her own tiara.

Madeleine : Modern Fringe Tiara

Christina : 6-button Tiara. She seems to have exclusive rights to that one now.

Desirée : Napoleonic Cut Steel Tiara. She seems to love it and it really suits her headshape.

Birgitta : Baden Fringe Tiara.
It looked good on her at Carl Philips wedding but i'm still hoping for a surprise and that she turns up in a Hohenzoellern Tiara we haven't seen for ages.

Margaretha : Aquamarine Kokoshnik Tiara.

My guesses:

Margrethe: Emerald tiara
Mary: Wedding tiara
Marie: Wedding tiara

Would be surprised if Margarethe went for the emeralds. The guests are not royal, so no need for a big gun. Methinks Baden Palmette perhaps.

Agree with Nary and Marie, though it would be great to see her use the necklace used last year in Aarhus as a tiara.

@Hans-Rickard - the last married in princess of Sweden, Lillian, has full access to the Bernadotte collection, even in the early years of her royal marriage. I looked on Lillian's jewellery thread here. Lillian has worn the Baden Fringe, the Nine Prong, The Laurel Tiara, The Luentenberg (necklace), the Six Button, the Scarab. Lillian had to share with Silvia and the Haga Princesses. By Sofia being brought into the family she should have access.

@Hans-Rickard - the last married in princess of Sweden, Lillian, has full access to the Bernadotte collection, even in the early years of her royal marriage. I looked on Lillian's jewellery thread here. Lillian has worn the Baden Fringe, the Nine Prong, The Laurel Tiara, The Luentenberg (necklace), the Six Button, the Scarab. Lillian had to share with Silvia and the Haga Princesses. By Sofia being brought into the family she should have access.

The laurel wreath and scarab were private possessions of Lilian as seen by her leaving them in her will, the tiara to Vic and necklace to the queen.

I don't see the big deal of her having to wear her wedding tiara. They went to the expense of having it bought/made for her. She is not the first princess by marriage to have a tiara made for her and not a family piece. She has worn other jewels from the family collection. I really don't get why its a snub or embarrassing or rude that she is 'forced' to wear her tiara.

Maybe Sofia loves her wedding tiara and finds it very precious because it was a wedding gift for her, and wants to wear it for that reason.
And we can't compare Sofia with princess Lilian. 61-year-old Princess Lilian married prince Bertil (to save the order of succession they had lived 33 years together without being able to get married and have children), and became the wife of the king's uncle, whom the king highly respected.

Victoria had also quite many times her 18th birthday tiara before she had another tiara for the first time.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is still a difference. There was no Crown Princess "in age" by then and Princess Madeleine wasn't even born.

The Laurel Wreath Tiara and the Eyptian Scarab Necklace was owned by Prince Bertil and thus his wife Lilian had exclusive rights to wear it. They are now by inheritance in the hands of Victoria (tiara) and Silvia (necklace).

The Baden Fringe Tiara is by the will of Queen Victoria who got it as a wedding present from her parents and brought it to Sweden, reserved for Crown Princess'es when there is one "in age". It has been worn by Silvia, Lilian, Margareta and Birgitta even after Victoria came of age but that was when Victoria was still a young tiara wearer or wore something bigger. Sofia might get access to it overtime if Estelle is still a minor or a young tiara wearer when Victoria becomes Queen or First Lady already as a Crown Princess.

Princess Madeleine has the modern fringe tiara and apparently also access to aunt Margarethas aquamarine tiara. Princess Christina has still lots of tiara events and seems to stick to the 6-button Tiara.

I see no reason why the Queen should lent her the Nine Prong Tiara or the Leuchtenberg Sapphire Necklace when not even Victoria or Madeleine have worn them.

That leaves the 4-button Tiara, the Amethyst Tiara and the 2 Cut Steel Tiaras as likely options for Sofia. Her options will likely increase in the future but this is probably a reason why the King gifted her with a private tiara to give her something that is just hers. And to be honest......i love her tiara way more than many of the smaller tiaras in the "Bernadotte jewel box".

There is still a difference. There was no Crown Princess "in age" by then and Princess Madeleine wasn't even born.

The Laurel Wreath Tiara and the Eyptian Scarab Necklace was owned by Prince Bertil and thus his wife Lilian had exclusive rights to wear it. They are now by inheritance in the hands of Victoria (tiara) and Silvia (necklace).

The Baden Fringe Tiara is by the will of Queen Victoria who got it as a wedding present from her parents and brought it to Sweden, reserved for Crown Princess'es when there is one "in age". It has been worn by Silvia, Lilian, Margareta and Birgitta even after Victoria came of age but that was when Victoria was still a young tiara wearer or wore something bigger. Sofia might get access to it overtime if Estelle is still a minor or a young tiara wearer when Victoria becomes Queen or First Lady already as a Crown Princess.

Princess Madeleine has the modern fringe tiara and apparently also access to aunt Margarethas aquamarine tiara. Princess Christina has still lots of tiara events and seems to stick to the 6-button Tiara.

I see no reason why the Queen should lent her the Nine Prong Tiara or the Leuchtenberg Sapphire Necklace when not even Victoria or Madeleine have worn them.

That leaves the 4-button Tiara, the Amethyst Tiara and the 2 Cut Steel Tiaras as likely options for Sofia. Her options will likely increase in the future but this is probably a reason why the King gifted her with a private tiara to give her something that is just hers. And to be honest......i love her tiara way more than many of the smaller tiaras in the "Bernadotte jewel box".

But the baden fringe tiara was worn by somethign other then the Crown Princess as recently as the Wedding of Carl Philip last year. And i think there are more occasions in the last 10 years.
It is a pity that there are not more tiaras in that size who belong to the Bernadotte foundation and are avalible to all Family members.
What i find a pitxy is that they gave Sofia a tiara with coloured stones (albgeit small) as i think it limits the choice of gowns. I would have preferred an all diamond tiara or one with pearls instead of the emeralds.

Yes and i wrote that it has been worn by The Queen, Lilian, Margaretha and Birgitta even after Victoria came in "tiara age".

I agree that it would have been better with a diamond or / and pearl tiara. But i would be very surprised if Sofia wasn't part of the decision process.

No offense to our danish friends on the forum but.......imagine if the Baden Palmette Tiara and the Star and Pearl Tiara hadn't left the Royal Palace in Stockholm with Queen Ingrid :)

No offense to our danish friends on the forum but.......imagine if the Baden Palmette Tiara and the Star and Pearl Tiara hadn't left the Royal Palace in Stockholm with Queen Ingrid :)

And if Queens Alexandrine's fringe tiara, the sapphire tiara, the Khedive tiara and the pearl and Star tiara had not left the main branch of the danish RF but would be shared between the royal ladies like in Sweden

And if Queens Alexandrine's fringe tiara, the sapphire tiara, the Khedive tiara and the pearl and Star tiara had not left the main branch of the danish RF but would be shared between the royal ladies like in Sweden

700 % agree !

I hope and pray that atleast the sapphire tiara will go back to the main line of the DRF. Though i have no hope that QMII would share it with her daughters in law.
They have a strange "tiara policy" in Denmark (and partly also in Norway). As long as QMII is not overshadowed it shouldn't be any problem for Mary and Marie to wear what they want. That works great in Sweden, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Spain and UK so there shouldn't be any problem in Denmark.

I agree Sofia's tiara limits gown choice. The tiara did not work with Sofia's 2nd night Nobels gown (that looked like Madeleine's). Plus, it looks poorly designed, to be plopped right on top of the head. And where did the king and queen get the tiara? There's always a backstory on a tiara when a royal bride debuts it on her wedding day - that it's a piece that's been in the family for years or it was specially made and the jeweler is named. Jewelry experts who have never examined the tiara guess it made have been bought outside of Sweden and it's old because of the art deco design. Art deco can be recreated with modern materials. No one knows the provenance of this piece.

Last edited:

It appears provenance of "new" tiaras is rarely released these dYs. The provenance of neither Mary nor MMs wedding tiaras was released.

I agree Sofia's tiara limits gown choice. The tiara did not work with Sofia's 2nd night Nobels gown (that looked like Madeleine's). Plus, it looks poorly designed, to be plopped right on top of the head. And where did the king and queen get the tiara? There's always a backstory on a tiara when a royal bride debuts it on her wedding day - that it's a piece that's been in the family for years or it was specially made and the jeweler is named. Jewelry experts who have never examined the tiara guess it made have been bought outside of Sweden and it's old because of the art deco design. Art deco can be recreated with modern materials. No one knows the provenance of this piece.

Sofia has been married for less than a year and has had only 3 chances to wear a tiara after her wedding. I'm really not surprised that she hasn't worn a Bernadotte tiara yet. After all it must be rather sentimental for her to wear her wedding tiara/wedding gift. As has been said before, they went all the way to spent money on this wedding gift of hers, so it was meant to be worn a lot. I am pretty sure that Sofia will start to wear other tiaras as well, and if she hasn't done so in another year or two I'll be worried. But not yet.:flowers:

The 70th birthday would be a good occasion for her to break in another tiara. But on the other hand that will be a big event with all the Haga princesses needing tiaras as well. So the choice would be limited and she might prefer to wear her own instead of wearing the rather small and not very flattering Mickey Mouse tiara, aka four-buttons tiara.

I am specially curious to see what Princess Birgitta wears. For her last 4 tiara events she debuted a first-time tiara every time. Will she continue this trend and wear the amethyst tiara or a cut steel tiara? Those are the last Bernadotte tiaras that she hasn't worn.

I am specially curious to see what Princess Birgitta wears. For her last 4 tiara events she debuted a first-time tiara every time. Will she continue this trend and wear the amethyst tiara or a cut steel tiara? Those are the last Bernadotte tiaras that she hasn't worn.

Indeed she has even worn the Cameo tiara at her civil Wedding and the Leuchtenberg sapphire tiara at the King and Queen's pre-Wedding Gala. But has she worn the four button tiara? And the Connaught ruby tiara was also not worn by her.

My tiara guesses for Carl Gustaf's dinner.

Queen Mathilde: Nine provinces tiara (full version).

Queen Paola (if she attends, which I doubt): Queen Elisabeth's diamond bandeau.

Queen Silvia: Leuchtenberg sapphire parure

Princess Victoria: Baden Fringe tiara.

Princess Madeleine: the Modern Fringe tiara.

Princess Sofia: the Emerald wedding tiara.

Duchess of Cornwall (if she attends, which I doubt): the Greville tiara

Queen Sofia (if she attends): Queen Victoria Eugenia's pearl and diamond tiara.

Queen Letizia: the Cartier loop tiara.

Princess Beatrix (if she attends) : the Würtemberg ornate pearl tiara.

Queen Maxima: the Mellerio Ruby parure .

Queen Sonja: Emperess Josephine's emerald tiara.

Princess Mette-Marit: the Diamond Daisy tiara (wedding tiara).

Princess Märtha-Louise (if she attends): King Olav's gift tiara.

Queen Anne-Marie: the Greek emerald parure.

Princess Theodora (if she attends): the Antique Corsage tiara.

Queen Margrethe II: the Floral Aigrette tiara

Princess Benedikte: the Sayn-Wittegenstein-Beleburg tiara.

Princess Mary: Queen Ingrid's Rubi parure

Last edited:
Indeed she has even worn the Cameo tiara at her civil Wedding and the Leuchtenberg sapphire tiara at the King and Queen's pre-Wedding Gala. But has she worn the four button tiara? And the Connaught ruby tiara was also not worn by her.

Yes, she has worn the four button, all the royal women seem to have except for the queen.

Tiara Mania: Four Button Tiara

I doubt the rubies will be worn by anyone, even with Sigvard dead, at such a family event

I agree that the ruby tiara won't be worn at such a family event. Also I thought about it as privately owned and not part of the foundation. Though thinking about it again, this shouldn't be an issue.

It would be nice if Mette-Marit would borrow the pearl tiara again, but it should be placed a bit differently than at Victoria's wedding. I wonder if Märta-Louise and Ari Behn will be among the guests.

Being privately owned doesn't really change anything, other than it can be gifted to someone for good. The others are in the foundation so they don't leave the family. Seeing as it has only been worn by the queen since being purchased back, I think Victoria the most likely to wear it next. But not at least until Marianne dies, out of respect to Sigvard's widow, at a family event.

I wouldn't be surprised if ML and Ari were at the event. There is usually a large showing of the Scandis at each other's events.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom