The Duchess of Gloucester Turns 67
The Duchess of Gloucester turned 67 on June 20th. Though a less well known member of the extended British Royal Family, the Duchess was born Birgitte Eva Henriksen in Odense, Denmark on June 20th, 1946.
Later Birgitte moved to the UK and worked in the Danish Embassy in London. On the 8th of July 1972, she married Prince Richard of Gloucester at St Andrew’s Church, Barnwell in Northamptonshire.
Following the death of Richard’s father in 1974, the couple became Duke and Duchess of Gloucester. Richard’s older brother, Prince William, was killed in a flying accident in 1972.
The Duke and Duchess have three children: the Earl of Ulster, Lady Davina Lewis and Lady Rose Gilman. The Duke and Duchess both undertake royal duties on behalf of the Queen and are popular faces at most major British royal events.Filed under British Royals
Tagged Biography, Birthday, The Duchess of Gloucester.
- Duchess of Gloucester Gives Royal Send-off to British Warship
- Duke and Duchess of Gloucester Honor Veterans, Active Military During Armed Forces Day
- Duke and Duchess of Gloucester’s South Pacific Visit Costs Revealed
- Duke and Duchess of Gloucester Pay Tribute to Fallen Soldiers at Armed Forces Memorial
- Duchess of Gloucester Charms Exhibitors at Mobility Roadshow