Celebratory events following the Accession of King Frederik X: January 2024 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany

Welcome to the thread for the celebratory events following the accession of King Frederik X.

Announced so far are:

Monday, 15 January

10:00 Reception in the Danish Parliament
The Royal Family participates in the Danish Parliament’s celebration of the succession of the throne. During a meeting in the Chamber, the Speaker of the Parliament and the Prime Minister will deliver a speech, and in that connection, the Prime Minister offers a verbal announcement from The King to the Danish Parliament. Afterwards, The Royal Family takes part in a reception in the former Upper Chamber.

Sunday, 21 January

14:00 Celebratory church service at Aarhus Cathedral
The Royal Family participates in a celebratory church service at Aarhus Cathedral. In connection with the succession of the throne, a celebratory service is held at Aarhus Cathedral with representatives of official Denmark and representatives from the City of Aarhus. The service is led by Royal Chaplain-in-Ordinary and Bishop of the Diocese of Aarhus Henrik Wigh-Poulsen.

** kongehuset.dk **

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs!

· Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
· We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons in these threads with respect.
· Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
· Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
· Please be careful not to write in capital letters.

:flowers: Happy Posting! :flowers:

Interesting to see Crown Prince Christian taking precedence over the old Queen Margrethe.

So Denmark follows the example set by Spain and not by the Netherlands regarding the order of precedence.

Lovely to see Joachim and Benedikte flanking Queen Margrethe today. Christian seems to be very close to his grandmother.
Funny to see Benedikte ready to bow to the Queen consort, but Mary was (perhaps consciously?) in a rush, so it didn't happen.

I do feel for Joachim. Very nice to see him participating.

Seems likes he has been through a lot in this past year plus. The Titles controversy, The move to America, THATS a big change for his Family. I really hope they are happy and successful here in The States.

Last edited:
Was it right for Queen Margrethe to go to the parliamentary ceremony? Did she overshadow the new king and queen?

Last edited by a moderator:
Was it right for Queen Margrethe to go to the parliamentary ceremony? Did she overshadow the new king and queen?

IMO it was appropriate. If anything it emphasized that a new king is in charge. And thus lend support to King Frederik, but considering what happened yesterday, there is little need for that.

I think its been a rush and they haven’t thought through some things. They were front and centre but its a bit weird that a day later and Margrethe is on the back row. I think a break in appearances would have been good to emphasise its a new team although maybe the new king and Queen wanted her there?

I don’t think Margrethe overshadowed anyone… She waited together with Joachim and Benedikte for the new royal family to arrive and she sat in the back row right behind Frederik… It was a strong symbol of unity and support

Queen Margrethe will always have a majestic star-aura around her… A pause here and there won’t change that

I don’t think Margrethe overshadowed anyone… She waited together with Joachim and Benedikte for the new royal family to arrive and she sat in the back row right behind Frederik… It was a strong symbol of unity and support

And she had to wait a long time out in the open and it was cold. I wonder if she thought back and either thought how good it was for her or how bad it was for her son and wife (they wouldn't have brought Christian then). Couldn't have she waited inside?

Christian and Margrethe seems to have a very close bond… I noticed it also in the days after Prince Henrik died and at his funeral… He was very attentive towards her already then and always kept himself very close to his grandmother… It has always felt very natural between them i think…

I noticed it today at the ceremony at the Danish parliament, too. Christian seemed to have an eye out for his grandmother. He greeted her, Benedikte, and Joachim very warmly.

He seems to have a natural poise and enthusiasm for his new role that his father took years to develop. Even today as they watched the speeches and the choir, I noticed that Christian seemed very relaxed, while his father fidgeted constantly.

I felt bad for QMII having to wait for Frederik to arrive at parliament today. She didn't look happy. I wondered if she was in pain with the cold wet weather.

I noticed it today at the ceremony at the Danish parliament, too. Christian seemed to have an eye out for his grandmother. He greeted her, Benedikte, and Joachim very warmly.

He seems to have a natural poise and enthusiasm for his new role that his father took years to develop. Even today as they watched the speeches and the choir, I noticed that Christian seemed very relaxed, while his father fidgeted constantly.

I felt bad for QMII having to wait for Frederik to arrive at parliament today. She didn't look happy. I wondered if she was in pain with the cold wet weather.

Christian shows an incredible amount of empathy and I think what helps is having three younger siblings, two of which are five years younger than him. Also, Frederik and Mary have been educating him on his future role since he was a child; there was no "hiding the role", it is clear while Frederik was Crown prince during his entire childhood, there has been a degree of exposing Christian to his eventual role now and for the future . I'm not criticising QMII, she raised her children in very different times, just like HLM QEII.

Cold weather causes havoc for those with arthritic pain and it is clear she was not comfortable. However QMII is a stickler for protocol, so even if King Frederik wanted her to be seated whilst he was arriving, she would never consider it.

King Frederik is being accompanied by the well-liked Chairman of the Parliament, Søren Gade.

My guess is that it just takes some getting used to: having to wait for people. She hasn't had to wait for anyone for the past 50+ years. She certainly hasn't had to wait for anyone at parliament.

I do feel for Joachim. Very nice to see him participating.

Seems likes he has been through a lot in this past year plus. The Titles controversy, The move to America, THATS a big change for his Family. I really hope they are happy and successful here in The States.

I agree, and don't forget his health issues which had me seriously alarmed for awhile.:sad:

Monday, 15 January

10:00 Reception in the Danish Parliament
The Royal Family participates in the Danish Parliament’s celebration of the succession of the throne. During a meeting in the Chamber, the Speaker of the Parliament and the Prime Minister will deliver a speech, and in that connection, the Prime Minister offers a verbal announcement from The King to the Danish Parliament. Afterwards, The Royal Family takes part in a reception in the former Upper Chamber.

Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen's speech and the King's announcement:

https://www.stm.dk/statsministeren/...hm-kong-frederik-10s-budskab-til-folketinget/

Sections of the Prime Minister's speech which I found interesting were:

The prediction "Queen Margrethe the Second will be remembered as one of the greatest rulers in Denmark's history", after crediting the monarchy's strong popularity largely to her personal dedication.

Saying that "the king's role in a modern democratic society is a difficult balancing act".

The reference to the Ukraine war as an example of the need for the king to unite Denmark (I wasn't aware this was a major cause of division).

Her recognition that the focus has been on the differences between Margrethe and Frederik but choosing to emphasize their similarities. Putting their love for the Færøe Islands and Greenland at the top of the list (an attempt to reassure the overseas territories that Denmark values them?), along with their cosmopolitan, multilingual life experiences (in some monarchies that might be seen as detracting from the monarchy's nationalist credentials, but apparently not in Denmark).

The full-throated homage to monarchy as an institution, which went well beyond simply praising the royal family and was something I would have expected to hear at a monarchist rally. The prime minister explicitly advocated monarchy as more politically unifying and inclusive than a republic, citing the Easter crisis of 1920 (Muhler, have you ever written a post about this crisis?).

Last edited:
There are no more seats available for the celebratory service in Aarhus Cathedral.

The cathedral can seat 1.000 people and when the seats for various local dignitaries and what not had allocated there were 400 seats left for mere mortals. So the local newspaper set up a sign up on their website today, first come, first served and within a couple of hours there were no more seats left.

No word about Prince Henrik. Frederik was unprepared for his role but Christian is . Well done ! mr Muhler , all my congratulations for your new King and your new Queen.

I'm looking forward to the Service at Aarhus Cathedral.

I think it was appropriate for Margrethe to attend as it seemed a lot of the remarks made were praise for her and I guess this was the first and only opportunity for Parliament to do that since her abdication announcement.

I was surprised to see her there though, I honestly thought she'd have left almost immediately for Cayx or Marselisborg or to visit her sisters.

No word about Prince Henrik.

Should that be interpreted as a snub to him? If Queen Mary remains as popular as she is now and dies six years before King Frederik X abdicates, would the prime minister mention Mary in their remarks upon Frederik's abdication? I'm truly not sure.

Should that be interpreted as a snub to him? If Queen Mary remains as popular as she is now and dies six years before King Frederik X abdicates, would the prime minister mention Mary in their remarks upon Frederik's abdication? I'm truly not sure.

I don’t think Henrik not being mentioned was a snub at all, I just think the focus of the speech was about celebrating QMII and looking forward to the new reign.

That being said, in the hypothetical situation you’ve mentioned above, I’m sure Mary would be mentioned, simply because she has been much more of an asset to the DRF than Henrik was. Which isn’t to ignore Henrik’s accomplishments, but I don’t think he was a game changer in the way she has been.

No word about Prince Henrik. Frederik was unprepared for his role but Christian is . Well done ! mr Muhler , all my congratulations for your new King and your new Queen.

I have no idea what statement from the Danish PM you read, but the one I read did not have any implicit or explicit statement on Frederik's unpreparedness as CP, whereas Christian is. Instead, I read a statement that praised Frederik and Mary's parenting to ensure their children had as normal upbringing as they can, despite the privilege and positions they find themselves. And why should the late Prince Henrik be mentioned? Queen Margrethe was the regent, thus the comparison of mother and son, and Queen Mary is his Consort. The statement is looking to the future and a celebration of the current reign.

It is only my own opinion regarding the education King Frederik and Prince Joachim received from their parents . Nothing to do with Queen Mary , sorry about that!

https://www.kongehuset.dk/en/news/c...guard’s-ceremony-at-amalienborg-palace-square

https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/æ...vgardes-ceremoniel-paa-amalienborg-slotsplads

Change in The Royal Life Guard’s ceremony at Amalienborg Palace Square

Since 1972, a King’s Guard has been established at 12:00 at Christian IX’s Palace when HM The Queen has been in residence. As a result of the succession of the throne, the King’s Guard ceremony changes.

The King’s Guard is the largest of The Life Guard’s duties at Amalienborg and the only watch duty for which a ceremony with flags is carried out. The guard coming on duty marches to the residence palace and carries out a march to the front, after which the incoming watch’s flag is collected.

During the King’s Guard ceremony, the personnel involved always go to the monarch’s palace, and, therefore, from now on, the parade will go to Frederik VIII’s Palace, where HM The King resides. The flags were transferred to The King’s palace after the proclamation yesterday.

[...]

On the occasion of the first King’s Guard for The King on 15 January 2024, The Royal Life Guard will be in the red full-dress uniform.​

Not sure I understand the surprise that QMII was at the Parliament's reception? She is not dead, she has abdicated. The reception was every bit as much an homage to her 52 years of service as it was to welcome her successor. It's virtually impossible for her to upstage M&F as the reception was just as much a recognition of her ;)

And I have to say, if people think she intends to retire now, I think they'll be in for another shocker. She'll slow down, that's a given, but I actually have no doubt she'll keep working.

Speaking of QMII at the Parliament's reception, just as Frederik, Mary and Christian arrived, the camera cut to QMII and the smile on her face was very touching. She looked very proud.

Lovely to see Joachim and Benedikte flanking Queen Margrethe today. Christian seems to be very close to his grandmother.
Funny to see Benedikte ready to bow to the Queen consort, but Mary was (perhaps consciously?) in a rush, so it didn't happen.

QMII has mentioned several times that Christian is very special to her in the sense that he's "the eldest of her eldest" (IIRC that's how she worded it). Just as she herself shared a special bond with her father, I think she feels a special connection to Frederik and Christian as they share the same fate.

Doesn't hurt that Christian is a confident, charming and gallant young man. Frederik has been compared to his grandfather, Frederik IX, but I have a bit of a suspicion QMII sees a lot more of her father's personality in Christian.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom