Celebratory events following the Accession of King Frederik X: January 2024 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And Margrethe considers herself the 'Christian' (which is why she named her son Frederik and not Christian); so her grandson is the next Christian...

And Margrethe considers herself the 'Christian' (which is why she named her son Frederik and not Christian); so her grandson is the next Christian...

Did she explain her motives for the choice of name? Had I been in her shoes, I would have done it in order to even out the numbering of Frederiks versus Christians (Frederik 8 was succeeded by Christian 10). (I could move this comment to another thread if appropriate.)

:previous: I think that certainly played a part but I also he was named after his grandfather. I remember a documentary wherein QMII recalled how proud Frederik IX was when she told him that she was naming her son Frederik. Apparently, he was beaming with pride every time he said little Frederik's name.

Did she explain her motives for the choice of name? Had I been in her shoes, I would have done it in order to even out the numbering of Frederiks versus Christians (Frederik 8 was succeeded by Christian 10). (I could move this comment to another thread if appropriate.)
As far as i remember she said once that this was the reason that she and Prince Henrik choose the name Frederik instead of Christian. So that the number will be even.

(..)

the route for the service in Aarhus on Sunday
https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/koersel-til-festgudstjeneste-i-aarhus-domkirke-1
"When DM The King and Queen on 21 January 2024 drive from Marselisborg Castle to the celebration service in Aarhus Cathedral, the route goes via Kongevejen up Dalgas Avenue to Hans Broges Gade past Sct. Paul's Church to MP Bruuns Gade. The last part of the drive from Banegårdspladsen takes place via the pedestrian street Ryesgade and Søndergade to Bispetorvet. HM Queen Margrethe and HRH Princess Benedikte will also travel along the same route to the cathedral.

After the celebratory service, the royal family travels along the same route back to Marselisborg Castle.

A celebratory service in Aarhus Cathedral is held on the occasion of the change of throne with representatives of official Denmark and representatives from the city of Aarhus. The service is led by the royal confessor and bishop of Aarhus Diocese, Henrik Wigh-Poulsen."

Last edited by a moderator:
(..)

the route for the service in Aarhus on Sunday
https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/koersel-til-festgudstjeneste-i-aarhus-domkirke-1
"When DM The King and Queen on 21 January 2024 drive from Marselisborg Castle to the celebration service in Aarhus Cathedral, the route goes via Kongevejen up Dalgas Avenue to Hans Broges Gade past Sct. Paul's Church to MP Bruuns Gade. The last part of the drive from Banegårdspladsen takes place via the pedestrian street Ryesgade and Søndergade to Bispetorvet. HM Queen Margrethe and HRH Princess Benedikte will also travel along the same route to the cathedral.

After the celebratory service, the royal family travels along the same route back to Marselisborg Castle.

A celebratory service in Aarhus Cathedral is held on the occasion of the change of throne with representatives of official Denmark and representatives from the city of Aarhus. The service is led by the royal confessor and bishop of Aarhus Diocese, Henrik Wigh-Poulsen."

It sounds as if prince Joachim returned home and didn't stay for the service. Given that it takes place a week after the 'change of throne', I understand. Had it been the following day, I am sure he would have stayed (as he did for the parliamentary event on Monday). It would be nice if count Felix would attend as he seems to be the only one of his part of the family who is/resides in Denmark.

Posts discussing the book "Kongeord" by King Frederik and Jens Andersen have been moved to the Royal Library subforum, see here.

This Sunday FX&QM will attend a service in Aarhus Cathedral. Along with QMII and Benedikte.
Not that big a surprise. It's the second largest city in DK and back when they got married Aarhus was also among the very first stops on their tour through DK.
Both QMII and King Frederik has a close affiliation with the city from their time studying at the university there. - And BTW I believe it is more than likely that at least Christian will study there as well, when he is done with the military in three or four years or so.
But it is certainly expected that our new Regent Couple also show themselves outside Copenhagen ASAP.

Anyway, if you look at a Google map, you will notice that their route through Aarhus will start at "Marselisborg Slot". When the DRF hitch a ride on a helicopter to Aarhus they usually land in the park in front of the manor. I guess that will be the case here as well and then they will enter their cars.
Again looking at the map, they will drive in a fairly straight line from Marselisborg to "Aarhus Domkirke". And that includes the one km long pedestrian street which will probably be packed with people!
See here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/v...&ll=56.14236008992396,10.206400349999987&z=14
The weather Sunday should be mild but very windy.

I believe the whole thing will be shown on TV. I can't remember off hand when the service is to take place, but it's usually in the forenoon. - Unfortunately for our members in the Americas and Australia.

This Sunday FX&QM will attend a service in Aarhus Cathedral. Along with QMII and Benedikte.
Not that big a surprise. It's the second largest city in DK and back when they got married Aarhus was also among the very first stops on their tour through DK.
Both QMII and King Frederik has a close affiliation with the city from their time studying at the university there. - And BTW I believe it is more than likely that at least Christian will study there as well, when he is done with the military in three or four years or so.
But it is certainly expected that our new Regent Couple also show themselves outside Copenhagen ASAP.

Anyway, if you look at a Google map, you will notice that their route through Aarhus will start at "Marselisborg Slot". When the DRF hitch a ride on a helicopter to Aarhus they usually land in the park in front of the manor. I guess that will be the case here as well and then they will enter their cars.
Again looking at the map, they will drive in a fairly straight line from Marselisborg to "Aarhus Domkirke". And that includes the one km long pedestrian street which will probably be packed with people!
See here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/v...&ll=56.14236008992396,10.206400349999987&z=14
The weather Sunday should be mild but very windy.

I believe the whole thing will be shown on TV. I can't remember off hand when the service is to take place, but it's usually in the forenoon. - Unfortunately for our members in the Americas and Australia.

Here is an article from BT with a bit of information. It will be shown on DR. After the 600 seats were allotted for officials, military, government etc. The remaining 400 seats were fuest come first serve. Those were snapped up within 5 minutes. The church will be full. There will be screens put up outside the church as well.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/gratis-bil...-festgudstjeneste-revet-vaek-paa-faa-minutter

According to the website of the Royal House of Denmark, King Frederik X and Queen Mary, Queen Margrethe and Princess Benedikte will be present at the service at Aarhus Cathedral on Saturday.
Will there be someone from the Greek Royal Family, Queen Mary's sister and Frederik and Mary's children?

Christian, Isabella, and the Twins are not participating?

They are not mentioned, so I guess not.
Could be that Christian might have joined them, but I imagine he has better things to do on a Sunday morning. Like sleeping. :D

Isabella and the twins weren't listed as attending the proclamation either, so there's still hope!

According to the website of the Royal House of Denmark, King Frederik X and Queen Mary, Queen Margrethe and Princess Benedikte will be present at the service at Aarhus Cathedral on Saturday.
Will there be someone from the Greek Royal Family, Queen Mary's sister and Frederik and Mary's children?

Count Ingolf and Countess Sussie of Rosenborg have also confirmed their attendance.

According to reports Frederik and Mary hosted a dinner with the primer ministers from Denmark, Greenland and Faroe Islands.

https://www.avisen.dk/til-intim-middag-hos-kong-frederik_753558.aspx

"The dinner does not appear on the royal house's calendar, and is described by in.fo as a discreet gathering, where the heads of government from Greenland and the Faroe Islands were also present. It concerns the Faroese leader, Aksel V. Johannesen and his wife Katrin Apol, as well as the chairman of the country's government in Greenland, Múte B. Egede and his wife Sara.
Hosts for the dinner were King Frederik and Queen Mary."

https://www.in.fo/news-detail/loegmadur-etur-doegurda-saman-vid-kongi-i-kvoeld
"Last Friday, Sosialurin announced a voter survey, which showed that Föroying will support the king in a big way - and when directly asked, 70 percent of those asked answered that they want Friðrik X as their king."

Last edited:
I wonder why they didn't want to publicize this. An excellent idea to have a dinner with the prime ministers (and their partners) of the three parts of the Kingdom of Denmark in the first week of his reign.

I think it's one of those informal dinners where you basically get to know each other and speak more frankly. It's not something they need or want to be asked about afterwards.

A bit like when a boss invites the department manages home for an informal dinner.

DR1, a channel many of you are familiar with by now, will send live from Aarhus tomorrow.
They will start right after the news at noon, at 12.15 and it will end around 15.50.

At 13.55 the DRF will arrive at Aarhus Cathedral.
Billed Bladet will also send live when the DRF arrive there.
At around 15.00 the DRF will leave Aarhus Cathedral.

The weather says a risk of light rain or sleet, with temperatures just above freezing. Perhaps a bit windy as well. But nothing that should scare away too many of the locals from showing up.
That's good because I'll estimate it will take 15-25 minutes to drive through Aarhus, depending on the crowd and how fast they drive.

------------

I guess FX&QM will make a short visit to Greenland and the Faeroe Island before FX's B-day in May. With a longer and more planned tour with Dannebrog next year.

Good Sunday,

In about three hours from this is posted the show will start in Aarhus.

For those of you who will actually watch the celebratory service, you will hear some of FX's favorite psalms - and I think also a couple of Queen Mary's. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a psalm that is well known in the Anglican church or typical for Scotland. I have no idea whether you can say that there is a psalm that is particular well liked in Australia. I plead ignorance, Your Honor.

ADDED:
The DRF will drive from Marselisborg around 13.30 and arrive at Aarhus Cathedral around 13.55. - That's a pretty slow drive!
An hour later they will drive back the same route.
The police expect at lot of people from all over east and central Jutland.

ADDED:
BT live blog.
https://www.bt.dk/royale/live-kongen-og-dronningen-deltager-i-festgudstjeneste
It's cold today! Wind chill factor.

Last edited:
Oh, the weather in Aarhus looks horrible. The poor people standing outside waiting for the royals :ohmy:.

All the children are there. And the King in Uniform.

It's snowing quite a bit right now.

As you recall there was some talk of Josephine looking a bit moody at the proclamation. That is not the case today. As far as I could tell - there will be a lot of photos later - she was smiling away.
- When you have just turned 13, a lot of things happen, not least if you are a girl. Physically and mentally.
I wondered last Sunday and I do today whether she thought that her parents becoming King and Queen would mean she would see much less of them. And there will of course be a lot of traveling.

Aarhus Cathedral was build in the 1500s and you can tell. It's a very solid, no nonsense church. Without too much unnecessary decorations. In line with the more stern Lutheran interpretation of Christianity.
When the church was finished it totally dominated the city for the next 400 years. It's the longest church in DK, so it's pretty big, even though modern buildings around it rival it. It was actually only around 1900 that factories, wharves and chimneys began to rival the cathedral spire.
Fortunately modern buildings nearby have not been allowed to dwarf the Cathedral, as you can see here:
https://s7g10.scene7.com/is/image/stena/20170720_aarhus-cityscape-wide:29-9?ts=1641833501497&dpr=off
https://www.ab-in-den-urlaub.de/magazin/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/1683195032_Aarhus-Panorama.jpg

I noticed Australian wattle in the floral decorations, that's really lovely.

That are a lotof Priests and Bishops. Looks like all of Denmark are there:whistling: Is that normal in Denmark. In the Lutheran Church here in Germany there is usually 1 or 2 if it is a special Service. But not as many.

That are a lotof Priests and Bishops. Looks like all of Denmark are there:whistling: Is that normal in Denmark. In the Lutheran Church here in Germany there is usually 1 or 2 if it is a special Service. But not as many.

It is, because this is a celebratory service.
So all the bishops show up and they form a procession when everybody else have been seated inside the church.

Why that is so, I have no idea. Church rituals are not my strongest point.

In a few minutes the DRF will leave the cathedral and probably pose a moment before driving on.
ADDED:

Queen Mary has chosen the psalm Eternal Father, Strong to Save, that was sung at her mothers funeral.

I almost got teary eyed when their majesties arrived. King Frederik looked every inch the king he now is, and Queen Mary looked like a queen, and they all looked so wonderful, happy and relaxed:heart:

The church service is beautiful so far. Lovely choice of hymns.

Count Ingolf and Countess Susie are the only ones not belonging to the main Branch.
I should have expected a Member of the Montpezat family representing the King's late Father.

Last edited:

All the bishops are present, because it’s a service embracing the Danish
Commonwealth. The Danish Roman-catholic bishop was there as were representatives from the Methodist church, the Jewish and the Muslim
communities!
The Church of Denmark is rather good at “ pulling out the stops” at
special occasions! The bishops in their robes, five of which were designed
and ( partially) made by Queen Margrethe. Danish bishop are not wearing
mitras!
The music was excellent, a brilliant organist, choir and today including
a brass band ( from the RDAF ??). The sermon ( by the bishop of the diocese
of Aarhus) was also excellent; involving and elaborating on the vocation and the motto of King Frederik in the gospel.

Count Ingolf and Countess Susie are the only ones not belonging to the main Branch.
I should have expected a Member of the Montpezat family representing the King's late Father.

Maria-Olivia: the Montpezats are not members of the royal family,
nor are “ the Greeks”, for that matter. They will only be attending
family events, if relevant.

Back
Top Bottom