What now for William & Catherine: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this issue. I just don't think there's a big push at all for W&K to go full time other than some of the public wanting to see more of them and the system they have in place now on how things go work fine for me.

Charles is also a very energetic and on the go kind of guy and has a multitude of different projects and interests that require other people on board to carry out the day to day implementation of said projects such as his gardens at Highgrove.

I really don't want to see W&K pressed into full time royal duties and all that would entail while their children as still so small and need mommy and daddy as their hands on role models. There are decades ahead where the Cambridges will be the heir and consort and eventually King and Queen Consort.

I just keep thinking that a child's best example of how life works is learned from a very early age. What W&K are doing is establishing a firm, loving and supportive home environment. George and Charlotte will learn the ins and outs of the royal fishbowl as they grow and watch their parents take on more and more important roles and responsibilities. If they are a bit older when this happens, I think the children would be more cognizant of all that is involved and the whys and the wherefores and the history behind it all. Right now doing full time royal duties would just take them away from these children when they have no real concept of why mommy and daddy are gone too much.

Of course this is my own personal perceptions on things. I've never raised a royal child.

Well, we just have to wait and see. It's okay for us to agree to disagree with each other. No love lost!

I just think with The Queen entering her 90th and Prince Philip turning 95, reality is truly setting in and we have to brace ourselves for early change. Part-time duties is coming to a close. It's not about just wanting to see the Cambridge's more often. Very simply, the Cambridge's have to be seen doing more.

None of this will take William and Catherine away from their children. It's going to take many years to pass for William and Catherine to rack up a great deal of engagements on the same level of Anne, Charles, Edward, Sophie.

William and Catherine and the kids will be fine.

Last edited:
Charles can afford to finance William and Catherine full-time royal duties. If he cut down on some of his staff. The man have way more staff than his mother, and she's The Queen.

William is the one that does not want to work full time. It is not a case of finances. In 2012, William said it was his decision.

The reason Prince Charles has a larger staff is because of the Princes' Trust.(There are breakdown of staff on his website.)

If you look at household staff, Prince Charles' staff is not that large.

Interesting nearly everyone always makes it about William and Catherine both working full time.

Catherine can remain part time and William can increase his duties until he reaches full time.

There is no need for both to remain at home. Catherine is the primary care giver.

William needs to embrace his royal duties before Catherine.

I am sure there is enough money to cover William's increase in royal duties.

Last edited:
William and Catherine will do exactly what and how much the Queen wants them to do at this time. No more, no less. When Charles takes the crown, he will give the required orders. The sitting monarch rules and dictates. No one should ever doubt that. It is not the call of William and Catherine at this time. They are told and advised by the Queen. They won't overstep or refuse.

My prediction: William (and therefore Kate) will not become full time royals until Will is King. The transition won't happen now, it won't happen gradually and it won't happen when Will is POW. Nor will happen when the youngest is off to University, whoever that youngest turns out to be.

Once Will is king he will abdicate at first opportunity, and then retire. We won't see 90 year old King William.

No need to argue with me, this is only a prediction. However it is based on everything I have seen regarding William throughout his adult life.

I have thought for some time that William will be the last king of England don't really know why but seeing how England is changing I don't think the royal family will be ruling. I won't be around to say 'see told you' and like you it's just my prediction

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I have thought for some time that William will be the last king of England don't really know why but seeing how England is changing I don't think the royal family will be ruling. I won't be around to say 'see told you' and like you it's just my prediction

Not going to happen, the only way the UK could become a Republic is if the Monarch/Royal Family can't take the pressure/criticism anymore, and decides to abdicate. I've heard many of the so-called experts say the same thing, even a republican professor. The Norwegian republican professor Trond Nordby says the same about the monarchy in Norway.

As far as UK is concerned, I actually think it is the safest Monarchy in the world, along with the Japanese.

Republicanism in the UK remains among the lowest in the world, with figures rarely exceeding 20% in support of a British republic, some polls have it as low 13%, and consistent ~70% support for the continuation of the Monarchy. And Some polls have the support for the monarchy as high as 82%, others at around 70 to 76%, another poll has the support for the monarchy from 66 to 70%.

To abolish the British monarchy will be very difficult.
1: Most polls must show a majority for a republic, this is very very unlikely.
2: Majority in the house of commons for a referendum, this is not going to happen.
3: Majority in the referendum for a republic, this is not going to happen. The vast majority of the population will never vote to replace a constitutional monarchy with a divisive politician or a celebrity etc.
4: Changing the country's name, changing the pound, remove the royal name from all state institutions. These are just some of the things that must be changed.
5: All of this is going to cost so much money that even many Republicans will start doubting it.

And the Monarch/Royal Family reigns, they doesn't rule.

Last edited:
Not going to happen, the only way the UK could become a Republic is if the Monarch/Royal Family can't take the pressure/criticism anymore, and decides to abdicate. I've heard many of the so-called experts say the same thing, even a republican professor. The Norwegian republican professor Trond Nordby says the same about the monarchy in norway.

As far as UK is concerned, I actually think it is the safest Monarchy in the world, along with the Japanese.

Republicanism in the UK remains among the lowest in the world, with figures rarely exceeding 20% in support of a British republic, some polls have it as low 13%, and consistent ~70% support for the continuation of the Monarchy. And Some polls have the support for the monarchy as high as 82%, others at around 70 to 76%, another poll has the support for the monarchy from 66 to 70%.

To abolish the British monarchy will be very difficult.
1: Most polls must show a majority for a republic, this is very very unlikely.
2: Majority in the house of commons for a referendum, this is not going to happen.
3: Majority in the referendum for a republic, this is not going to happen. The vast majority of the population will never vote to replace a constitutional monarchy with a divisive politician or a celebrity etc.
4: Changing the country's name, changing the pound, remove the royal name from all state institutions. These are just some of the things that must be changed.
5: All of this is going to cost so much money that even many Republicans will start doubting it.

And the Monarch/Royal Family reigns, they doesn't rule.

Royal Norway as I said it's just this feeling I've had that in history William will be the last king. So all your points are lost on me as it's just a feeling not really based on anything. The world could be very different in 40 years time if it's still around after global warming, ISIS or whatever And thank you for correcting me about reigns and rules

Royal Norway as I said it's just this feeling I've had that in history William will be the last king. So all your points are lost on me as it's just a feeling not really based on anything. The world could be very different in 40 years time if it's still around after global warming, ISIS or whatever And thank you for correcting me about reigns and rules

But my feeling is different and ISIS is weakening, and is not a big threat to the powerful West or the British monarchy as an institution. The only threat they pose is the possibly of more terrorist attacks, but it has become harder for them to carry out these horrific events because they are (as I said) weakened. And I don't think that global warming will bring down the world or the monarchy during the next 40 years. I will also say that I feel pretty sure that we will see both William and George on the throne.

You know there hasn't been a King or Queen of England for 300+ years. British monarch not English monarch. ?

You know there hasn't been a King or Queen of England for 300+ years. British monarch not English monarch. ?

Ha ha ha ha

Technically you might be right, but I understand that until about the 1930s England was commonly used to refer to Britain. I know people of my mother's generation called it England, not Britain, and I suppose that is why I do, too.

No-one can predict what will happen in 30 or 40 years. As the millennium kids of today grow up, (and those in their twenties mature) they are hardly likely to become ardent monarchists in their middle years if they weren't in their youth.

The Royal family doesn't play a huge role in the day by day lives of British people as it is. With the Press gone, the Internet ruling and a king who, all his adult life has put a premium on privacy for himself and his family, who knows what view the population will have on the monarchy in the middle of the 21st century.

Just because things are as they are now doesn't mean they will remain that way for ever more. As for Parliament, there are apparently quite a few MP's at Westminster who are republicans. Jeremy Corbyn's not Robinson Crusoe by any means. And, like politicians everywhere, if they sniff the wind and find republicanism is in the air they will act on it, without loyalty to the BRF entering their thoughts.

I take no pleasure in any of this. I probably won't live to see it, but if William does become king there's no guarantee that George will follow.

Technically you might be right, but I understand that until about the 1930s England was commonly used to refer to Britain. I know people of my mother's generation called it England, not Britain, and I suppose that is why I do, too.

Definitely agree. I find myself having to correct myself. I grew up with a Nana who grew up in the UK in the same era the queen did. And she would never call it Great Britain or the UK. It was always our Queen of England, Wales.... you knew she was cranky when she did Scotland last and called them the infernal Scots:) (my family does have a good amount of Scottish blood but she didn't like to mention that :D)

No-one can predict what will happen in 30 or 40 years. As the millennium kids of today grow up, (and those in their twenties mature) they are hardly likely to become ardent monarchists in their middle years if they weren't in their youth.

The Royal family doesn't play a huge role in the day by day lives of British people as it is. With the Press gone, the Internet ruling and a king who, all his adult life has put a premium on privacy for himself and his family, who knows what view the population will have on the monarchy in the middle of the 21st century.

Just because things are as they are now doesn't mean they will remain that way for ever more. As for Parliament, there are apparently quite a few MP's at Westminster who are republicans. Jeremy Corbyn's not Robinson Crusoe by any means. And, like politicians everywhere, if they sniff the wind and find republicanism is in the air they will act on it, without loyalty to the BRF entering their thoughts.

I take no pleasure in any of this. I probably won't live to see it, but if William does become king there's no guarantee that George will follow.

Most people are not ardent monarchists, but they support the monarchy for two reasons: 1 - Because it has always been there. 2 - They don't like politicians.

And here are some other facts to what you wrote:

1 - According to several experts, there are more people who support the monarchy today with a very critical press than it was in 1952 with a very uncritical press.

2 - There have always been many republicans in the parliament, but as former political editor of Sky News, and current presenter of Sky News Tonight Adam Bolton said in 2012, they are more careful about expressing them self now than they were in 70, 80 and 90s.

3 - It's also an known fact that if the young Queen had made some big mistakes in the 50s and 60s, it would have been much easier to abolish the monarchy then, than it had been today.

4 - William has not put a premium on privacy for himself and his family. He and Kate are not full-time working royals, but they have traweled on several official tours, did many walkabouts, he has given interviews both before and after he married Kate etc, and we will see much more of this in the future.

The monarchy is a big part of Britain's identity and as YouGov said last year, its here to stay.

This will be my last post on the monarchy's future in this thread.

Last edited:
William and Catherine will do exactly what and how much the Queen wants them to do at this time. No more, no less. When Charles takes the crown, he will give the required orders. The sitting monarch rules and dictates. No one should ever doubt that. It is not the call of William and Catherine at this time. They are told and advised by the Queen. They won't overstep or refuse.
I sometimes wonder why people say it's the Queen's choice that they have such a light workload. How do you know that? I very sure that the Queen has less control over William than most think. He seems like the type that could careless about much at all bysides himself!

I sometimes wonder why people say it's the Queen's choice that they have such a light workload. How do you know that? I very sure that the Queen has less control over William than most think. He seems like the type that could careless about much at all bysides himself!

Well.... for starters, every official royal engagement that W&K do is first approved by HM, The Queen. HM is the head of the Firm and all decisions and plans are discussed and approved or not approved with her. QEII is not of the nature to let others make the decisions for her but rather takes her duties and roles very seriously.

The Queen also is the owner of Amner Hall. It's part of the Sandringham estate. William is living in his Granny's house. If she wants more he would be doing more.

Also the Cambridges staff and public and some private expenses are paid by his father's Duchy of Cornwall income so Charles has some financial control over William.

The Queen also is the owner of Amner Hall. It's part of the Sandringham estate. William is living in his Granny's house. If she wants more he would be doing more.

Also the Cambridges staff and public and some private expenses are paid by his father's Duchy of Cornwall income so Charles has some financial control over William.

William's own words said it was his decision. 2012 Katie Couric interview.

William's own words from the Couric interview were "I'm still trying to decide," he said. "It's a really difficult one because I really enjoy my time in the Air Force. And I'd love to continue it. But the pressures of my other life are building. And fighting them off or balancing the two of them has proven quite difficult."

At that time he was still in the RAF and indecisive about which path he would like to follow. Once he made up his mind, I'm sure it was discussed with Granny and it was with her approval that the path of being a part time royal and taking on work for the EAAA was settled. Part of that approval led to the Cambridges acquiring and moving into Anmer Hall.

As William says, "You don't mess with your Grandmother".

^^^Thank you for sharing the actual quote from the interview Osipi.

William's own words from the Couric interview were "I'm still trying to decide," he said. "It's a really difficult one because I really enjoy my time in the Air Force. And I'd love to continue it. But the pressures of my other life are building. And fighting them off or balancing the two of them has proven quite difficult."

At that time he was still in the RAF and indecisive about which path he would like to follow. Once he made up his mind, I'm sure it was discussed with Granny and it was with her approval that the path of being a part time royal and taking on work for the EAAA was settled. Part of that approval led to the Cambridges acquiring and moving into Anmer Hall.

As William says, "You don't mess with your Grandmother".

So who was pressuring him.

Charles is said to have told William to make his own decisions and follow his own path.

The Queen, is said, allows her family to make their own decisions.

So who was pressuring William?

He was still in the RAF, when in May of 2012 he did the Katie Couric interview.

He left the RAF in September 2013.

2012 was the Jubilee year, did the Queen, Charles or Philip change their stance.

They may be completely supportive of his decision but those words would not have come out of his mouth if they had not expected him to turn full-time. There has to be a reason for those word to have come out of his mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:
"As I learned growing up, you don't mess with your grandmother" is the actual full quote. That can mean lot of things. The Queen isn't being kept locked in her room at BP, while her evil grandson William steals her pension checks to bet on football matches.

The air ambulance job, Norfolk, work load etc would have been discussed with his father and grandmother who supported his decision. Granny has stopped William in the past. In interviews he admitted that he wanted to wear a different uniform to his wedding and the Queen told him no -your wearing the red Irish Guards uniform.

"As I learned growing up, you don't mess with your grandmother" is the actual full quote. That can mean lot of things. The Queen isn't being kept locked in her room at BP, while her evil grandson William steals her pension checks to bet on football matches.

The air ambulance job, Norfolk, work load etc would have been discussed with his father and grandmother who supported his decision. Granny has stopped William in the past. In interviews he admitted that he wanted to wear a different uniform to his wedding and the Queen told him no -your wearing the red Irish Guards uniform.
This made it quite clear to me that it's all done with the Queens approval. Later he is also quoted: "The Duke of Cambridge certainly remains eternally grateful for the way his grandmother has given him time and space to prepare for the future. ‘Growing up, having this figurehead, having this stability above me, has been incredible,’ he says. ‘I’ve been able to explore, understand, carve my own path. I greatly appreciate and value that protection.’"

This made it quite clear to me that it's all done with the Queens approval. Later he is also quoted: "The Duke of Cambridge certainly remains eternally grateful for the way his grandmother has given him time and space to prepare for the future. ‘Growing up, having this figurehead, having this stability above me, has been incredible,’ he says. ‘I’ve been able to explore, understand, carve my own path. I greatly appreciate and value that protection.’"

Lovely words.

How do we know that the Queen is AOK with the Cambridges doing relatively few engagements? She hasn't spoken publicly about it. We know she doesn't like people being idle even if she does hope the couple do have lots of time with their children. It was said that she asked "What does Kate DO?" when William and Kate were dating, as she obviously hadn't heard she had a full time job.

It's taken for granted here that the Queen is fine with the Cambridge work rate. However, just suppose she is mildly perturbed but has spoken to Charles about it and he has told her that he is unable to underwrite their public engagements to any greater extent than he is doing. I am sure the Queen would accept that but that doesn't mean that she would be necessarily happy and fine with the situation.

:previous:

Lets be honest - no one on this forum has the least idea of what HMQ, PoW or anyone else in the royal family and household think of anything. Its just what someone on here "thinks" they "think".

So don't try and bring reality into it, because we haven't got a clue.

But we can still have opinions, and we can air them.

How do we know that the Queen is AOK with the Cambridges doing relatively few engagements?
I was referring to what William says in the ITV Birthday tribute - that she has allowed them space.
Either he is speaking the truth, or he is lying to the country (and in front of his Queen) in a very public way. If he is lying, then the country is in for a very bumpy ride.

We get the same thing from Harry supporters on TRF. 'The Queen is so proud of Harry'

'The Queen supports Harry leaving the army and not becoming a full-time royal'

If that's the case, The Queen is proud of the Cambridges and fully supports what they're doing as well

I've no doubt the Queen is a very tolerant woman, who wants the Cambridges to have some time with their young family. However, there is such a thing as, in the words of the old saw, 'being given an inch and taking a yard'. When do the Cambridges begin to play their part as full time royals, when they're both forty, fifty, sometime, never?

There is no need for them to be full time yet or they would be. There is a reason (mostly financial I'm thinking) they are not. For years we've heard about the royal family trimming the working royals down to smaller numbers. It seems to be that is exactly what they have done.

Charles will likely be King in the next 5 to 10 years at most. When William is the heir he will certainly be full time.

For now the Queen (and probably Charles) determine who's doing what when.

LaRae

Back
Top Bottom