The Princess of Wales's Daytime Fashion Part 1: September 2022 - March 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Coco Chanel died in 1971 so I don’t think this is “enthusiastically supporting such a person,” plus I’m pretty sure that history will be part of the V&A exhibit.

I saw it as support of the V&A exhibit, her patronage, not as support of Chanel. It’s vintage, they don’t even get the benefit of a sales bump from it.

No, the exhibition, which is about Chanel as a person and designer, not the brand, "makes mention" but doesn't appear to go into any depth. https://archive.ph/wnz9v

"Chanel is not the only fashion brand with a dark past, or even present, but it stands out as a crucial one because it marries one of the most glorified fashion icons of all time and one of the most abhorrent political ideologies of all time. And it’s not just the Chanel brand that needs to confront these uncomfortable topics, but anyone in the industry who wants fashion to move forward in a more open, honest and fair way. If we defend our veneration of these people, we will exclude those who could make a better future, explains Hoskins: “We will never be able to get the diverse range of people we need into the industry if we don’t address this.”"

Brilliant designer and abhorrent person the PoW would do better to steer clear of any association with. She wears a vintage jacket, that's her call, I guess. But there are other ways for her to support V&A that don't involve someone who'd be canceled with extreme justification were she current.

Last edited:
I just do not think the look works. The trousers appear too loose for a jacket that fitted.

It's not working for me either but I love seeing her in vintage clothes, promoting sustainable fashion.

Said jacket comes from the 90s sand was designed by Karl Lagerfeld and co, not by Coco Chanel herself. Kate does not regularly wear Chanel so I don't think we can say she is enthusiastically supporting either the brand or the person. She was more likely supporting sustainable fashion.

She has enthusiastically shown her support for many, many aspects of Holocaust remembrance which IMHO is more important than boycotting everything from a particular brand because of the views of its founder who died 50 years ago. Coco Chanel received no benefits from either the design of the jacket or Kate wearing it being dead at the time.

It's like most people don't consider Volkswagen's origins when deciding to buy a car from them or not.

If it became a regular thing then maybe it should be time to revaluate but I don't think it will.

Well, the outfit got a rave review from UK Vogue. They also pointed out her recent forays into vintage and sustainable fashion are on brand for the environmental work they do.

https://www.vogue.co.uk/news/articl...pe=owned&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social
I'm with the naysayers. I think the overly tight jacket paired with overly wide and long pants just doesn't flatter anyone, let alone Catherine. Her choice to pair the jacket with a very low camisole or some such is really not a good look and leavers her showing a very long bare decolletage which wouldn't raise an eyelash in the evening.

However, the thing that really amuses me is the fashion rags waxing lyrical about Catherine's new "vintage" style and its sustainability is anything new? Since when has shopping your own wardrobe been seen as newsworthy? We are forever seeing high-profile royals wearing wonderful stars from their own closets and I would think they should take more note that the ladies in question obviously keep fit and healthy enough to still wear them.

I'm with the naysayers. I think the overly tight jacket paired with overly wide and long pants just doesn't flatter anyone, let alone Catherine. Her choice to pair the jacket with a very low camisole or some such is really not a good look and leavers her showing a very long bare decolletage which wouldn't raise an eyelash in the evening.

However, the thing that really amuses me is the fashion rags waxing lyrical about Catherine's new "vintage" style and its sustainability is anything new? Since when has shopping your own wardrobe been seen as newsworthy? We are forever seeing high-profile royals wearing wonderful stars from their own closets and I would think they should take more note that the ladies in question obviously keep fit and healthy enough to still wear them.

Wearing vintage is definitely different than shopping your own wardrobe. I doubt this was a blazer bought new for her originally unless she was wearing Chanel at the age of 13, which is how old she was when this jacket was new.

She’s been wearing repeated clothes for her entire professional working life, but I think this is one of very few times she’s reached into a designer archive for a vintage look that wasn’t something she bought new/in season.

The only other time I can recall off the top of my head was actually her first Canadian tour after she was married and the Anne of Green Gables look on Prince Edward Island.

She’s been wearing repeated clothes for her entire professional working life, but I think this is one of very few times she’s reached into a designer archive for a vintage look that wasn’t something she bought new/in season.

I actually saw some articles claiming that she deliberately went for an "early 90s Diana look" although I don't think she was doing it with that in mind since the media claims every outfit is Diana cosplay.

https://wwd.com/fashion-news/fashio...anel-jacket-1995-claudia-schiffer-1235387932/

Said jacket comes from the 90s sand was designed by Karl Lagerfeld and co, not by Coco Chanel herself. Kate does not regularly wear Chanel so I don't think we can say she is enthusiastically supporting either the brand or the person. She was more likely supporting sustainable fashion.

She has enthusiastically shown her support for many, many aspects of Holocaust remembrance which IMHO is more important than boycotting everything from a particular brand because of the views of its founder who died 50 years ago. Coco Chanel received no benefits from either the design of the jacket or Kate wearing it being dead at the time.

It's like most people don't consider Volkswagen's origins when deciding to buy a car from them or not.

If it became a regular thing then maybe it should be time to revaluate but I don't think it will.

I've already said I don't particularly care if she wears one Lagerfeld jacket. The original suggestion or wish was that Kate wear more Chanel to show support for the V&A exhibit (for the designer, not the brand). I think I explained why that's also not a good idea.

Perhaps Kate, with her many years of RF politics and designer knowledge as well as her support for many, many aspects of Holocaust remembrance, already knows this.

People may not think twice about buying a Volkswagen or taking a Bayer aspirin, but they tend not to watch Leni Riefenstahl's movies, either.

That's about all I have to say.

Wearing vintage is definitely different than shopping your own wardrobe. I doubt this was a blazer bought new for her originally unless she was wearing Chanel at the age of 13, which is how old she was when this jacket was new.

The only other time I can recall off the top of my head was actually her first Canadian tour after she was married and the Anne of Green Gables look on Prince Edward Island.
You are right and I seem to remember something about some very high-end vintage shops that had been scoured for her. Then again, it could have once belonged to her mother as we have seen with CP Victoria and the classic cream Chanel jacket she often wears.

The ongoing heated Chanel discussion has been shortened, a couple of posts that did no longer discuss the Princess of Wales‘s fashion have been removed. Time to move on..

Love too much this blazer, but something is wrong with the pants they seem wrongly fitted or too wide on purpose.
As for the vintage side I don't really get the point. As this blazer has never be worn by the PoW before, either it comes from second hand shop and she just acquired it, or could it come from her mother's or sister's closet?

Sent from my SM-A426B using The Royals Community mobile app

The Princess of Wales during a message of support for the Taking Action on Addiction campaign:

** Pic **

While I love all of the pieces a little bit of color would have been nice. Stiil a good look!

I'm not really a fan of the monochrome look, especially in camel, but the individual pieces are lovely.

The Princess of Wales's Daytime Fashion Part 1: September 2022 -

While I love all of the pieces a little bit of color would have been nice. Stiil a good look!

Agreed.

It’s a nice fall color. Just a lot of it.

ETA- I’m usually not a big fan of monochrome looks.

Last edited:
A really nice and seasonal look for autumn on the Princess.

I'm not really a fan of the monochrome look, especially in camel, but the individual pieces are lovely.
I agree. A little too much of the same color, but individually the pieces are great.

I like it during November with the Remembrance Poppy for a little pop of color. It’s appropriate and impeccably tailored. It’s just a little boring.

I love this neutral monochrome look. Always a classic. The Princess looks neat and clean and well-tailored. Clothes fit properly as usual on her. Nice to see. JMO

This is different look for the Princess, I love it! She looks clean and business-like. The Princess of Wales always full of grace.

I think I would have liked it better if her accessories had provided some contrast, rather than all blending together. It is a very good shade of camel on her, which is not an easy color to wear for a lot of people.

^^No, it isn't. Too close to your own skin color, and from a distance, you look naked. I've seen too many women wear flesh-colored leggings, and unless you're standing right next to them, it looks like they don't have pants on.

That was the right shade of camel/tan/light brown for her to wear, but maybe not everything all that once. LOL

I only could appreciate that she did not wear pants.
Everything else was horrible, and what looks good on one person does not neccessarily look good on another as we can see here.

I think I would have liked it better if her accessories had provided some contrast, rather than all blending together. It is a very good shade of camel on her, which is not an easy color to wear for a lot of people.

I agree. It's too much camel here today so some darker accessories might have provided some contrast.

What a boring outfit!
I hope she bins it.

I love the all camel look. she looks great.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom