The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 4: June 2019 - October 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Malawi was a part of the visit so it’s not that much of a stretch. And yes I know it’s like totally a different country.

She didn't go to Malawi. She wore a dress from Malawi in South Africa, which is like someone wearing a Mexican designer in Toronto and thinking that because it's all North America it's the same thing.

I liked the dress from Malawi, and thought it looked lovely on her. But it would have been nice if she had worn a South African designer. She still may do that, which would be great, and a graceful little touch to an overall very successful, low key trip.

The jewelry and jeans are ok, but it's the dresses that always get the most attention except from hard core royal followers.

I did not like the style of dress this morning ..it was okay. I love the green dress this afternoon. Great color for her and a very wearable style.

She has worn some different style of earrings than we've seen before..I think some of her accessories are from S.A. designers etc. It's not necessary she dress head to toe in local or one country's designer (s) in order to make an impact.

I bet the jean company is getting slammed after that piece yesterday and we haven't even seen her in them!

LaRae

I did not like the style of dress this morning ..it was okay. I love the green dress this afternoon. Great color for her and a very wearable style.

She has worn some different style of earrings than we've seen before..I think some of her accessories are from S.A. designers etc. It's not necessary she dress head to toe in local or one country's designer (s) in order to make an impact.

I bet the jean company is getting slammed after that piece yesterday and we haven't even seen her in them!

LaRae

Neither the tan dress nor the green really suit Meghan.

Only a couple of repeats on this tour, and no smart works pieces yet? It’s a shame.

I totally agree the outfits are part of a PR exercise so she cannot be critiqued for wearing the way over the top garments she usually wears note no Dior here!

Guys she's hardly going to be wearing Dior on the types of engagements she's been doing.

LaRae

One of my favourite colours for this green dress… and so wearable for all size. Great !

In the video she looks a bit uncomfortable (holding down the flap, perhaps it's bit short). Perhaps I just prefer the navy one.

Yes, in the various videos it didn't seem like a very good choice. She seemed to be aware of the wind. Was holding her skirt down outside most of the time (unless she was fiddling with her hair). Her dress in the afternoon was very comparable in style but again she walked a little weird (but then - I always think she walks/stands a bit weird on heels, so that might be me as much as Meghan).

The green dress is lovely. The color is great. Nice comfortable style :flowers:

The blush dress in general I love the trench style. The fit just isnt great here.

As for the African designers debate: Yes she never went to Malawi. But Malawi was part of the tour, her husband simply went alone. Its not like she chose a Kenyan designer and said oh well Africa is Africa. It was a country that was part of their tour.

I actually like she chose some jewelry pieces instead. The leaf earrings she wore to several events early on were made by a local pottery designer. And the earrings she wore with the black dress and red shoes, were also local. One of the things with the clothes they buy from 'local designers' often for tours, we often don't see the pieces again. With a few exceptions. I like Meghan chooses pieces which easily could be worn back home or associated into other tours easily enough as well. Like repeats from her last tour being worn here.

She may have also been reluctant to buy too many pieces knowing her body shape is still changing. If she didn't wear them in Africa she may worry they would not be worn at all.

It loved she bought the jeans ahead. And the dungaree gift from the company was so cute. I am sure the jean company got a huge boost in sales.

I'm struck by how very pretty she looks on this tour. Her skin and hair are lovely. Maybe it's the climate, or maybe it's the joy of being a newlywed young mother, or maybe a combination of both. Her casual style here suits her.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a little underwhelmed by these last two dresses. I like the idea of the white shirt dress, but the bunched up sleeves look untidy. There's just too much fabric going on in the entire dress. The blush trench dress is a pretty color, but I don't think the trench cut is especially flattering right now.

Overall, okay, but nothing to get excited about except the colors which are lovely.

i am not keen on this passion meghan has for shirt dresses - to me they look rather boring and dull but i liked the repeat trench dress. hardly a stunning tour from a clothes perspective but perhaps she decided to keep it informal/casual given the country's situation.

I LOVE the white shirt dress. The earrings add a nice bit of statement.

Not a fan of the trench repeat.

Meghan’s dress today was the Tencel Shirt Dress from ethical Cape Town label @HannahL_SA. The limited edition design was created from leftover fabric to minimize fabric waste. It’s currently available in stores and will be online soon.

LaRae

If Maghan is still feeding Archie all those button through, shirtwaister and trenches make perfect sense.

Yes that is the impression I get too...she is still nursing and is wearing clothing allowing for the changing bust line and ease of feeding the baby.

LaRae

Meghan has been careful at choosing her outfits during this tour. It would've been in poor taste if she'd shown up in a Givenchy or Dior outfit, as an example, to a lot of the places she visited in South Africa IMO. So for the context she looked absolutely fine.

If Maghan is still feeding Archie all those button through, shirtwaister and trenches make perfect sense.

That must be the reason because to me her last 4 outfits look a lot a like (this morning one at least is different in material - which I like better) and I'm not a fan but I am sure it is practical and as Meghan stated everything is scheduled around Archie's feeding times, so it makes sense for her clothing to also be tailored to feeding Archie.

It's great that the white shirt dress was from a South African label, a nice way to end the tour.

Meghan has been careful at choosing her outfits during this tour. It would've been in poor taste if she'd shown up in a Givenchy or Dior outfit, as an example, to a lot of the places she visited in South Africa IMO. So for the context she looked absolutely fine.
I quite agree with you, it wasn't places to show off !:flowers:

:previous: You know, that is something that almost all royals do to some extent but I suddenly thought, how does Meghan (just as a present example) pull this off. Does she do a crash course in ethically sourced fashion and jewellery sites in each of the countries she is to visit? Does she get her staff to do it? Does she order a variety of styles and multiple sizes since they are so variable?

It is a small, insignificant thing, but an awful lot of work goes into that dress or those earrings, bracelet, even shoes that some fashionista RR spots and it's in the local and home papers giving the firm an international boost. So, I can put up with the odd ensemble that doesn't, to my mind at least, suit or fit as well as I would think they should, given her resources. She's doing the most important part just by wearing it.

Meghan has shown from day one she has an interest in where her clothes come from. She has chosen designers who use ethically sourced materials, often recycled materials. She also has used designers that have focussed on female empowerment as well. We saw this on her tour last year, and now in Africa. She shows it back home as well, but it often gets ignored due to her high price tags on other items.

I dont think it is her staff doing research for her. I think Meghan genuinely makes a conscious effort to choose these brands. Yes, she had to take it extra mile to look into African designer for this current look, but she had the time. The royals have a lot of down time for their prep for these trips and visits.

Her wardrobe for this trip has been a wonderful mix:

1. African designers: 2 dresses, several pieces of jewelry
2. ethically sourced designers
3. recycled pieces from her wardrobe

Even the head scarf she wore (and later a shall she carried) were from a brand that's focus is not only on ethical sources but also on women. They use female craftsmen from several continents to produce their beautiful products, bringing needed income and attention to regions.

I love the white shirt dress. Its fresh and great for today. Lovely African choice too. :flowers:

I love her trench dress, loved it before and now. When she wore a shorter one the other day and I didnt like the length, this one came to mind instantly. But it doesnt fit as well as it did pre-baby. But still a good choice.

The last four or even five dresses seemed very alike to me. So alike that she just could have ditched two of them. The banana republic dress was very nice, though watching her walk in those heels wasn’t. The green dress was ill fitting and could have been dropped, IMO. The collar on the blush trench was very nice. The voluminous white dress was too much for her but good that she finally had a sa dress there. As far as easy to breastfeed, I would say only the white dress with its nightgown look would make it easier. The other dresses would be as hard as anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom