The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 2: July 2018 - August 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw, just to point out for those that are so upset about the Duchess not promoting UK business, Alexander McQueen is owned by Kering, which is very French the last time I checked. So it definitely doesn’t seem like it’s been a problem for members of royal family to wear something by a French company if the designer is British before.

If I may change the subject. I wonder if Catherine the Dss of Cambridge while on maternity leave, if her stylist is assisting Meghan??
(Please forgive my very poor grammar.)

I appreciate a good joke as much as the next person but this joke and critique feels like a real reach. Guess we should count ourselves lucky she didn't wear the navy pumps after all.

Haha, so succinctly put.

S

For goodness sake, you all need to lighten up in this thread.

Please take your own advice.

Btw, just to point out for those that are so upset about the Duchess not promoting UK business, Alexander McQueen is owned by Kering, which is very French the last time I checked. So it definitely doesn’t seem like it’s been a problem for members of royal family to wear something by a French company if the designer is British before.

Alexandra McQuuen was founded by a Bit, it is synonymous with British fashion. Just because it was sold doesn’t mean it’s become French.

The history, the people, are still British

Alexandra McQuuen was founded by a Bit, it is synonymous with British fashion. Just because it was sold doesn’t mean it’s become French.

The history, the people, are still British

It’s not a British business as everyone has been complaining is not being supported. Turns out all these years, a history of BRF supporting a French business has been established right under people’s noses. Kering is about as French as it gets. Or do we only care about what t “appears” rather than reality? If we going down the path of employees, is CWK not British?

And Alexander McQueen was founded in 1992, hell of a short history there.

Last edited:
It’s not a British business as everyone has been complaining is not being supported. And is CWK not a British person?

And Alexander McQueen was founded in 1992, hell of a short history there.

The label is still based in London. The British fashion industry considers it British.

If Givenchy was sold to a German, no one would all of a sudden say it’s German.

The label is still based in London. The British fashion industry considers it British.

If Givenchy was sold to a German, no one would all of a sudden say it’s German.

If it’s sold to a German, then it would indeed be a German business. When one supports McQueen, it’s not supporting a British business. Isn’t that what people were upset about? Supporting a British business. Well, that’s not what McQueen is as it turns out.

Mcqueen is headquartered in London, It’s Head of design is English, trained at English fashion schools. The workforce is made up of Britons who live and pay taxes in Britain

That sale happened in 2000 and nothing about McQueen changed. In the eyes of fashion writers and magazines, McQueen is quintessentially British. Regardless of what a piece of paper says.

A piece of paper? That piece of paper determines where it’s profit goes to, which is Kering, a French listed company. Does Givenchy only employ the French? I’m sure CWK has something to say about that. Does anyone know if McQueen only employ Brits? My understanding of Europe is that there are allowed to work across borders quite easily, which is one of the sticky points in Brexit negotiations. What right and benefits do people like CWK maintain.

Anyways, I think it’s great that Duchess of Sussex is supporting a working mother who is quentissential British and a fantastic designer. So I don’t have a problem when she wear McQueen either. But if we are going to criticize her for not supporting British bus Ness, eh add McQueen to that list for BRF.

Last edited:
I like that Meghan has opened the narrow view of 'supporting British talent'. Until now that seemed to mean it had to be a British company, even if the designer themselves was not British.

Meghan understands that supporting British talent shouldn't be limited to within borders. British designers don't simply want to make a name for themselves at home, but abroad. And landing a position as head of one of the top high fashion houses in the world is a huge coup for any designer.

If you look at major fashion houses, you will find international designers within. Givenchy hasn't been led by a French designer in years. Since Givenchy retired, it has been led by 4 British designers, and 1 Italian. Galliano (Gibralter-English), McQueen (English), Jullien MacDonald (Welsh), Ricardo Tisci (Italian) and now CWK (English).

Wickstead, Packham, and McQueen get enough PR from Kate.

Meghan has certainly worn a share of British/commonwealth labelsA

-Hiut: small local Welsh denim company Meghan wore their jeans
-Burberry: she has worn a number of pieces including her plaid coat
-Strathberry: has at least 2 purses from the Scottish brand
-Alexander McQueen: her tuxedo she wore to Endeavor Awards
-Stella McCartney: coat in Wales
-Demellier London: handbag
-Goat: garden party
-Philip Treacy
-Tamara Mellon shoes
-Victoria Beckham- cashmere sweater in NIreland
-Greta Constantine (Canadian)-green skirt in NIreland
-Amanda Wakely- the white coat to the commonwealth service
-All-Saints: London brand, turtleneck
-Jason Wu (Canadian) her belted dress when she appeared with the Cambridges
-Tabitha Simmons boots
-Jigsaw
-Marks and Spencers
-Smythe (Canadian) coat
-Sentaler coat at Christmas (Canada)
-Joseph (first engagement)
-Mackage (Canadian)
-Ralph and Russo
-Line (Canadian) engagement jacket

I may have missed a few. I am sure as her wardrobe expands as she grows into her new role, the list will grow.

Charlotte Elizabeth bag, which the designer herself is a beneficiary of The Prince’s Trust. Stella McCartney also designed her second wedding dress. Jimmy Choo has also seen some love. But that's a really good and comprehensive list.

I agree, thank you for taking the time to type it out, Countessmeout. :):flowers:

Just adding a few:

- Stephan Jones: beret (Commonwealth Day Service) - OBE - only non-PT headgear haha
- Wilbur and Gussie: clutches (Garden Party & SL's Memorial) - btw, such a darling brand! Been a long time fan and the quality of their work is incredible.
- Stella McCartney: also to the Queen's Birthday Concert
- Shaun Leane: earrings & bracelets (Queen's BC)
- Self Portrait: dresses (pre-Christmas Luncheon & IG reception)
- Mulberry: bag (Commonwealth Day Service)
- Natalie Marie: ring (IG reception) - Australian
- Oroton: bag (CYF) - Australian
- Camilla and Marc: blazer (CYF) - Australian
- Birks: most of her jewellery - Canadian
- Babaton: coat (IG trials), belt (Nottingham & Reprezent Radio) - Canadian

Last edited:
I forget about this. What a lovely touch from Catherine to include the symbols from the Home Countries

Yes, nice virtue signaling ;)

Anyway, McQueen is undoubtedly British. Yes it is owned by a French company so I see folks point, but as far as I know, it main workshop is still in the UK and it still pulls heavily from the British design schools for talent. Now, McQueen used to pull more heavily from British history for its lines and hasn’t as much since Burton took over. Then again, I’ve long felt Burton’s vision was lacking...

I think with CWK, Meghan just built a relationship and feels comfortable with her. CWK is STILL a British fashion designer even if she is the CD of a French house. I imagine that over the next year, Meghan will continue to build relationships with other British designers from British houses too and CW and American ones.

Although, I am willing to bet some hard cash that if Meghan started wearing more Beckham, she would be accused of being too celebrity by some

Last edited:
I also like how Meghan has broadened the definition of supporting British talent. I think it took courage to choose a French house led by a British women as her wedding dress; but it gave me the impression that BRF didn't think it was that big of a deal. But I wouldn't put it passed the media to turn on her for her fashion choices, look at how they try to cause furor with how she sits.

She looks fine. She is pushed to looked like a stuffy doll on many occasions. I am sure she would be happy to wear what she has in the past and has been comfortable in. She is very attractive, as is Kate, what they wear looks good because they look good. Sophie is a nice dresser and doesn't seem to tread the fine line of all the critics, She is, of course, out of the limelight. Kate and Meghan are the focus.

She probably will but it has been barely 2 months. I could get this argument with a larger sample size. Can she hit 6 months? I am sure we will be seeing her in plenty of UK designers as well as continuing foreign designers just like the rest of the royals. And I am sure people will find issue with who she picks in those regards too.

This.

Just think about the logistics alone. From November through May she couldn’t have any whiff of communication with a British designer without it turning into overheated wedding dress speculation. I think right now we’re seeing the clothes she chose then to be ready for her first round of engagements. The clothes she wore during the engagement were more likely from a pre-engagement-announcement shopping spree, when she could still reach out to London or Toronto sources with little worry of causing a brouhaha. Since the wedding, I’d guess the shopping focus has been the upcoming tours—so clothes we haven’t seen yet.

If nine months or a year from now the percentage of Commonwealth/British labels is the same as we’ve seen since the wedding, that’ll be an issue. But I think we need to give her a little time to establish a more regular procurement process.

Mcqueen is headquartered in London, It’s Head of design is English, trained at English fashion schools. The workforce is made up of Britons who live and pay taxes in Britain

That sale happened in 2000 and nothing about McQueen changed. In the eyes of fashion writers and magazines, McQueen is quintessentially British. Regardless of what a piece of paper says.
Sorry Rudolph, if a mouse is living in a biscuit box it does not make it a biscuit! The whole notion of "Buying British" is about revenue and that particular hefty dose of cream went straight to France!

Actually, I think it is an excellent idea to educate us about the finance behind the fashion. People can be blithely 'buying British' in error as is the case with McQueen. Just for slaps and giggles, I wonder how much foreign money is involved in all of the major "Fashion" houses in the UK? Is there any way of finding out?

Take Ralph and Russo, unless it is a listed company, it is an Australian brand unless the founders have applied for UK citizenship or are no longer the majority shareholders.

She probably will but it has been barely 2 months. I could get this argument with a larger sample size. Can she hit 6 months? I am sure we will be seeing her in plenty of UK designers as well as continuing foreign designers just like the rest of the royals. And I am sure people will find issue with who she picks in those regards too.

Exactly.

I think these percentage charts after Meghan has been a royal only 6 weeks are really premature and unfair. It would be nice, if she was actually given a year to build up her resume fashion and otherwise, before making these charts.

I think the only miss for me since the wedding was the private wedding with that de La Renta dress. The rest have been pretty well done to fabulous.

It's gonna take her a bit to get her wardrobe up to speed. Can't wait to see the trip to Ireland and then the Tour in fall.

LaRae

I love the yellow dress. Very beautiful and elegant. She looked great.

Exactly.

I think these percentage charts after Meghan has been a royal only 6 weeks are really premature and unfair. It would be nice, if she was actually given a year to build up her resume fashion and otherwise, before making these charts.

She's had two years to wrap her head around the new wardrobe requirements that were going to need to be met once she was a working royal. Just saying.

Last edited:
I don't think she began to amass a "working" wardrobe too much before she married. Now, as Harry's wife and with working for the "Firm", if I'm not mistaken, her "working" wardrobe will be paid for by Charles just as he does for Kate. The Queen does this for all the working members of the Firm with Charles taking on the expenses of his wife and his sons and their spouses.

She's had two years to wrap her head around the new wardrobe requirements that were going to need to be met once she was a working royal. Just saying.

Are we talking about the same couple? Their 1st date was July 2016. A bit presumptuous to start building the royal wardrobe at that point, no? I doubt she was contemplating how to pick the perfect fascinator while they were grabbing drinks in Soho House. Let's give the woman a break.

Last edited:

Are we talking about the same couple? Their 1st date was July 2016. A bit presumptuous to start building the royal wardrobe at that point, no? I doubt she was contemplating how to pick the perfect fascinator while they were grabbing drinks in Soho House. Let's give the woman a break.

Agree, Royal Suitor. ;) I don't think she's been thinking any more than maybe one month forward (in terms of fashion) even while engaged (except for the wedding dress, of course). Once married, she's likely been trying to develop a routine around fashion choices. I'm sure other royal ladies (like Kate and Sophie, Camilla and Anne) must have given insights on how they manage things.

Your first sentence made me laugh. I think you all give her way too many breaks. So, let's say only one year, still plenty of time to get acquainted with the possibilities. Do you think we should only count from when they got married, that's ludicrous! No, not six weeks, more like sixty weeks to get her head wrapped around this, and it's not rocket science.

Agree, Royal Suitor. ;) I don't think she's been thinking any more than maybe one month forward (in terms of fashion) even while engaged (except for the wedding dress, of course). Once married, she's likely been trying to develop a routine around fashion choices. I'm sure other royal ladies (like Kate and Sophie, Camilla and Anne) must have given insights on how they manage things.

Well if that's the case then she's not very good at her new profession. This is a job, it's not pretty princess dress up games. She'd better have been doing her homework more than a month in advance, but I guess that would explain some of her questionable fashion choices. Poor planning if you ask me.

Last edited:
Or she could have more important things to think about. Like what issues she wants to support. While what she wears to events will require more thinking than what rest of us wear to work, I highly doubt that’s what she’s been thinking for the past two years considering she had a demanding job and had a life. While it’s fun to talk about fashion, it’s quite insulting to women by reducing them simply to what they wear and assume that’s all they are thinking about.

There is nothing wrong with her clothes.

Last edited:
Your first sentence made me laugh. I think you all give her way too many breaks. So, let's say only one year, still plenty of time to get acquainted with the possibilities. Do you think we should only count from when they got married, that's ludicrous! No, not six weeks, more like sixty weeks to get her head wrapped around this, and it's not rocket science.

Meghan had a full time job during this time. :huh: You credit her with having a lot of time to be thinking about such things when in fact she was an actress doing a show which meant learning scripts and doing fittings and all the rest of it, like PR for the show.

Methinks you are assuming that marriage was a done deal from very early on? That's a stretch, I think. It may have been for Harry. We are given to understand that he was a (charmingly) focussed suitor, but I don't think Meghan would have necessarily been convinced marriage was a definite outcome. Totally my speculation of course. She could have seen things playing out as long term lovers, maybe even living together, but marriage?

Even with a year in and marriage the goal between the two of them, still Meghan would have had her hands full with a major move to another country alongside financial details and winding down an acting career. I just don't see fashion choices being high on that priority list for her. JMO.

And what's even more funny is if she had been planning her royal wardrobe for 2yrs people would say she was working to ensnare Harry. Not to mention the other royal women who have needed to build up their wardrobe AFTER their marriage.

Or she could have more important things to think about. Like what issues she wants to support. While what she wears to events will require more thinking than what rest of us wear to work, I highly doubt that’s what she’s been thinking for the past two years considering she had a demanding job and had a life. While it’s fun to talk about fashion, it’s quite insulting to women by reducing them simply to what they wear and assume that’s all they are thinking about.

There is nothing wrong with her clothes.

Especially agree with the bolded, and underlined. :flowers:

And what's even more funny is if she had been planning her royal wardrobe for 2yrs people would say she was working to ensnare Harry. Not to mention the other royal women who have needed to build up their wardrobe AFTER their marriage.

Exactly. :flowers: After the marriage is normal and makes the most sense. Once one is actually in the life, and experiencing the outings, that's when one learns.

Last edited:

Well if that's the case then she's not very good at her new profession. This is a job, it's not pretty princess dress up games. She'd better have been doing her homework more than a month in advance, but I guess that would explain some of her questionable fashion choices. Poor planning if you ask me.

Glad we can all close out the weekend with a laugh. :flowers: I'll second Lady Nimue in saying that her full-time profession until November 2017 was as an actress on a different continent. So no I don't think she was stepping out between takes on Suits to be fitted for her royal wardrobe. Nor do I think that's what she should've been prioritizing. With all the media coverage, it may seem like these two have been together forever but that's really not the case. Much of her engagement wardrobe were primarily things she already owned (though I do think there was a pre-announcement shopping spree) or things she bought on the fly. Jason Wu said Meghan called him up and asked him to send her the Royal Foundation forum dress a few weeks in advance. Hiut denim only realized afterwards that they'd received an online order from KP. I give Meghan credit for being willing to learn while doing the work, so for me a bit of grace is warranted.

You're right fashion isn't rocket science. It would be easier if it were. Rocket science is objective and analytical with a clear right answer. Fashion is subjective and very much in the eye of the beholder. I think she's doing fine. I know this is the fashion thread but let's not kid ourselves. The bulk of this thread treats Meghan like Princess Barbie so we can all play "pretty princess dress up games." It's fun and entertaining and one aspect of royal life. But when you say "this is a job," I'll be very disappointed if fashion is the key focus of her job. That's an incredibly low bar to set.

Last edited:
Glad we can all close out the weekend with a laugh. :flowers: I'll second Lady Nimue in saying that her full-time profession until November 2017 was as an actress on a different continent. So no I don't think she was stepping out between takes on Suits to be fitted for her royal wardrobe. Nor do I think that's what she should've been prioritizing. With all the media coverage, it may seem like these two have been together forever but that's really not the case. Much of her engagement wardrobe were primarily things she already owned (though I do think there was a pre-announcement shopping spree) or things she bought on the fly. Jason Wu said Meghan called him up and asked him to send her the Royal Foundation forum dress a few weeks in advance. Hiut denim only realized afterwards that they'd received an online order from KP. I give Meghan credit for being willing to learn while doing the work, so for me a bit of grace is warranted.

Well said! :flowers:

You're right fashion isn't rocket science. It would be easier if it were. Rocket science is objective and analytical with a clear right answer. Fashion is subjective and very much in the eye of the beholder. I think she's doing fine. I know this is the fashion thread but let's not kid ourselves. The bulk of this thread treats Meghan like Princess Barbie so we can all play "pretty princess dress up games." It's fun and entertaining and one aspect of royal life. But when you say "this is a job," I'll be very disappointed if fashion is the key focus of her job. That's an incredibly low bar to set.

The last bolded and underlined says it. :flowers: I don't think Meghan is aiming to be a fashion plate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom