The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 2: July 2018 - August 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe she didn't want to outshine the bride.... she already knew she would draw a lot of attraction !

You know that hair doesn't really stay perfect in real life like on a movie or TV show where someone touches it up between takes, right?
By styling, I didn't mean hair, but wardrobe. She seems to prefer things two sizes too big.

I have a lot of hair so I totally understand it can get out of control. If I don't blow out or 'hot brush' my hair, it can be crazy. My hair is to my waist and naturally part wavy, part curly, and part straight. I'm talking about the intentional 'messy' bun.

Last edited:
There is one photo where a bit of lace can be spotted. More likely a cami, as bras usually aren't trimmed in lace like that, or as high as that unless a lace trimmed sports bra.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me, it looks as if she caught a breeze and it ruffled her hair somewhat.

Yes Curbside, but she is a royal now! Therefore such things as wind she should command to obey her so they do not ruffle her hair. Other royal women are able to do this, why can't Meghan :whistling:

Her obvious lack of ability to do so just proves she is unfit/a mess/sloppy/uncaring/insert negative trait here. ?

The best part for me was the gold bracelet. Countessmeout, do you know if she has worn it before. You listed it as being from Shaun Leane.
I was rather hoping it might be a birthday gift from Harry.
Hair.
The only time i saw photos of it being messy was when the wind caught it as she arrived. Then other photos showed the couple walking past gravestones and her hair was managed appropiately and looked good to me.

There is one photo where a bit of lace can be spotted. More likely a cami, as bras usually aren't trimmed in lace like that, or as high as that unless a lace trimmed sports bra.

Nope, you're wrong. There were two photos: "Full View" and "Upper Part 2", three if you count the one that was taken from her right which doesn't show the blouse gaping open like the other two do ("Upper Part 4"). And that is much more than a bit of lace showing, thank goodness for that black lace bra. BTW I've seen lots of lace trimmed bras and all lace bras, lots.

iceflower said:

Didn't Meghan and Harry make clear that they would put focus on the Commonwealth? That's the reason she had their symbols in her veil because they were serious about that.
As for her hair I think it looks fantastic; the sideswipe with curls really work for her and the curls seemed to stay intact. When she wears her hair like this it makes me think she is getting the hang of the affects the weather has on her hair.

iceflower said:

I think this is a great photograph with the peek of lace! :flowers: What are people saying? It's exactly the kind of thing I do! And I am NOT a harlot! ? ;) It's true, that's why I buy these things, for a bit of peek-a-boo. I think it's very cool! So there!

iceflower said:

This photo is glorious! The colors really pop out in a natural way. Excellent lighting. Serendipity I am sure. Also an example of how photogenic Meghan is. :flowers:

In no way would I wear anything she has on here, meaning there is an element of 'not like' for myself, but wow does it all work for Meghan. It's her. :flowers: The dress has a great drape, must feel good to wear.

It might have been said before but I have one question. How do we know for sure that this piece of lace it is a bra and not a camisole worn especially to hide the bra and the deep cleavage in case the shirt moved a little.
Personally I do often this and I feel more comfortable with my shirt.

It might have been said before but I have one question. How do we know for sure that this piece of lace it is a bra and not a camisole worn especially to hide the bra and the deep cleavage in case the shirt moved a little.

Personally I do often this and I feel more comfortable with my shirt.

Exactly! :flowers: And a bra with lace serves up the same imo.

The Duchess is so damn gorgeous that she would make a trashbag look good on her. with that said, this outfit is not my favorite from her: the dress is okay, though not my taste, but the belt is too harsh with it, and so is the hat. I like the hat, just not with this outfit.

Seeing as the accesories don't go well with the dress the whole look becomes a bit messy. For me there is too much going on with this look: big belt, elaborate hat, colour blocking dress, textured bag, bracelet.....it just becomes TOO much in my opinion. Less is more!

LOVE the shoes though! I want those!

Last edited:
I think this is a great photograph with the peek of lace! :flowers: What are people saying? It's exactly the kind of thing I do! And I am NOT a harlot! ? ;) It's true, that's why I buy these things, for a bit of peek-a-boo. I think it's very cool! So there!

I'm with you on this. Its something I'm planning to do myself with a cream lace blouse. Its not slutty and its not whorish or in bad taste but rather emphasizing the feminine. Its part of my plan to accentuate the outfit. With all cream, the camisole with the shelf bra, the belt and choker and shoes in a matching color make it an outfit and not a skirt and blouse that's blah.

Then again, I guess there are people that believe that open toed shoes show a little too much foot. To each their own. :D

Last edited:
Nope, you're wrong. There were two photos: "Full View" and "Upper Part 2", three if you count the one that was taken from her right which doesn't show the blouse gaping open like the other two do ("Upper Part 4"). And that is much more than a bit of lace showing, thank goodness for that black lace bra. BTW I've seen lots of lace trimmed bras and all lace bras, lots.

All lace bras aren't like this. Usually it's not that thin, and more of an interweave, so that it can still give support. This will rip if it's tight.

I don't love the details of this dress or hat, but I think Meghan is styled quite nicely. I love this hairstyle on her (and good grief, anyone who wears their hair down will have moments where something moves out of place unless they've sprayed it to high heaven, and that kind of unmovable helmet hair isn't attractive on anyone under the age of 70). The hat is a good shape for her. From the looks of the photos, her top button only came undone for a brief moment, since she had it fixed before she finished walking past the press gauntlet, and I'm in the camp that thinks that looks like a camisole and not a bra. Her makeup's looking better than it usually does for these lower-level events, too (when she doesn't have a makeup artist helping out, I feel like she often goes too heavy on the blush but here it looks more natural).

I do think the cut of the dress is attractive on her and it fits her well. It's the details of it that I don't like. Accordion pleats always look somehow...chintzy to me. I don't feel like the colors aren't working well for her, either. I think navy is a color that looks best on Meghan when it's crisp and more blue than off-black, but this is definitely an off-black variety and the hazy shades of the colors in the skirts just reinforce that.

My thoughts on the hat are similar. I think this is a good shape for her. I honestly think she wears the small, forward-placed hat over long hair better than Kate does (but perhaps because she tends to choose beret bases that ground the look a little more to my eye). But I'm rarely a fan of pointy curlicue trim on anyone, and that's all this one has going for it in terms of adornnment.

Her hair is fine, the lace detail is fine, the fit of the dress is fine. What's not fine to me is her whole look, there's just too much going on what with the hat detail, the lace, the pleats, color-blocking, hair down, wide leather belt with some knot...geesh, all the details make it look so exhausting when I get the feeling she wanted to look more relaxed. On the plus side, I always like that she doesn't play safe--those people eventually get things right and they are always fun to watch. Also on the plus side, she is a gorgeous woman and her smile takes one's attention away from the fussy details of that hideous outfit.

Not feeling Meghan's dress for the wedding. While the fit was nice, I didn't like the pattern, or the colors on the skirt. Also agree with others that an all black outfit just seemed a bit too much for a summer wedding. Hat was a miss for me too. But I love her shoes and the way she styled her hair (didn't find it messy at all).

Yeah, this is definitely not true. I'm not gonna derail the thread by mentioning others, but quite a few of the royal women have had it just as rough in the beginning. Once Meghan settles in, I imagine the scrutiny will be a lot less (this is what happened to other royal women.)

I'm a black woman (similar hair texture to Meghan's) and I think her hair looks messy sometimes. Particularly when she has her hair in a looser bun. I'm not adverse to messy buns, but I'm just not a fan of the way Meghan does them.

Not true. There is a certain royal who has had a few wardrobe malfunctions and when it happened, the discussion went on for days. Years later they're still constantly brought up and thrown out as a dig. In fact, it's been subtly mentioned in this discussion about Meghan's wardrobe malfunction.

I don't see the scandal with Meghan's bra (or camisole) showing. Like all the other royal women that this has happened to, Meghan didn't plan to have a wardrobe malfunction. It happens to everyone...even royals and it's a sad that any of these royal women are shamed for it and have to deal with snide comments even years after their wardrobe mishaps.

Thank you for sharing your perspective as a TRF member and moderator regarding the comments that accompany the inevitable wardrobe malfunctions that happen to everyone in the royal world. Yes it is true that one in particular has received intense scrutiny over the years that still seems to continue years after the incidents. Yes I agree that the subject still come up even in a thread about Meghan's wardrobe.

I'm sorry that Meghan like any other woman in the public spotlight is going to be scrutinized by tabloid writers and photographers. I agree that eventually it will subside, but for this period in time Meghan is the "it girl." Also I can safely predict but that this is not going to be the last time that we get a glimpse of her underclothing. Breezy conditions and movement sometimes give a split second glimpse and today's cameras can capture these images forever. The tabloid editors know that these types of stories are guaranteed money makers.

As for the wedding look, IMHO it is fine for a summer wedding though I'd personally have opted for a lighter color. I prefer this look to the one worn at the last wedding.

As for Meghan choosing to wear non-British labels, I've come to the decision that there doesn't seem to be the same expectation for her to build a wardrobe mainly from UK designers like there is for QEII and the Duchesses of Cornwall and Cambridge. Meghan has many more years to add to her wardrobe, so I expect that we'll see British brands added in due time.

But some people will do anything to cling to the 'she wears only foreign brands' complaint. Any way possible. :whistling:

Dress and belt- Club Monaco (Commonwealth)
hat- Philip Treacy (UK)
bracelet- Shaun Leane (UK)
shoes- Aquezura, the designer is London raised and educated
earrings- Belgian designer
purse- California designer

Only the earrings and purse aren't a UK/British designer, or link. The shoes may be a foreign brand but the designer is a testament to the strength of London design school and talent.

It is a bit difficult to not make the 'she wears only foreign brands' observation as it is absolutely true. So on Saturday, she wore:

Dress: Canadian / part of Ralph lauren group
Shoes: Italian
Belt: Italian
Bag: US
Earrings: Belgian
Hat: British

I appreciate it was not a public engagement (as I pointed out on my post on Saturday), but the fact is that since MEghan has married Harry, she has hardly worn any clothes by British fashion houses in public.

This is an issue for quite a lot of British people I have spoken to, and I suspect it is just a question of time before the Press start commenting on this. We have a thriving fashion industry, and it is a pity that a royal Duchess continually fails to support it.

Perhaps if you aren't sprinting so fast to point out I missed a photo (who really cares how many) you could slow down and read.

I didn't say no lace bras existed. I said the placement of the lace, straight across and not dipping like a bra, is more likely a cami. But when one rushes one can miss reading what a poster actually wrote.

And 2 photos taken seconds apart doesn't make it any more lace. It's a small view of lace

BTW just realized I don't know what the issue is regarding the peek of lace. :ermm: Could someone summarize? I thought it was that it was an awful thing to see the peek of lace, not so? that was it? Or is there something else afoot? Like she was purposefully 'exposing herself'? :huh: Some attention-seeking intention like that. Anyone?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the big deal is either...it's a lacy camisole that many women routinely wear under certain tops so they are covered....and usually as part of the actual outfit.

LaRae

Or you wear a camisole under more sheer fabric to avoid the see through look.
Amazing that a button that has slipped out of its buttonhole is so horrifying.

I was out of town when this event took place but I saw pics of her and didn't notice anything out of place until I got back and checked this thread...to me it was just part of the whole outfit!

LaRae

I remember reading something from a poster in here at some point that it's not necessarily about the mishap, but what you did to protect yourself. Letizia was brought up and it was mentioned that her dress went straight over head, but all anyone saw was an enviable figure and knickers that covered more than your average bikini bottom. In this case, Meghan's button might have popped open, but because she protected herself from any possibility of see through under the sun, we didn't see anything more than top of chemise. Now, if we saw a boob, that's different.

Considering we've seen the bare behind of at least one Royal woman due to skirts, wind and a liking of going commando I think this is pretty tame. I won't even get into the Royal men who have been as exposed over the years...Kilts, stripping, walking naked in hotel rooms with curtains open etc.

LaRae

I can't believe that there's been so much talk about a simple and easy to make chemise/bra slip up (I'm thinking it's more likely a chemise, too)! I kind of want Meghan to make a public appearance again so we can stop making mountains out of molehills :D

Now I'm going to :hiding:

In her pre royal days Meghan used to strip down to her bra and knickers on Suits quite a bit, plus we’ve actually seen her topless in that video that circulated of her and her friends on a beach.

Exposing her chemise/bra/camisole or whatever it is, is ‘relatively’ tame I suppose.

Quite tame. You see more on TV in underwear commercials every single day. Commercials even show women in nothing but a towel. I don't think its a huge state secret that Meghan has (gasp) breasts.

Sometimes in here I feel like I've been transported back to Victorian times and need to up my supply of smelling salts should "unmentionables" be mentioned. :lol:

Quite tame. You see more on TV in underwear commercials every single day. Commercials even show women in nothing but a towel. I don't think its a huge state secret that Meghan has (gasp) breasts.

Sometimes in here I feel like I've been transported back to Victorian times and need to up my supply of smelling salts should "unmentionables" be mentioned. :lol:

HA! I had that thought earlier...my goodness and we have seen her ankles!

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom