The Duchess of Sussex's Charities and Patronages

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lack of coverage? It literally flooded my TV and was trending. You couldn't miss it. Also I saw the reporter mentioned. Wasn't it Palmer? That isn't exactly what he said. In fact he stated we will later find out what is ground breaking and he thinks they are innovative though conservative (as she followed Kate's template). He also praised her decision to work with women from minority background. He spoke highly of Smart Works. No need to twist his words for an agenda.

Last edited:
Lack of coverage? It literally flooded my TV and was trending. You couldn't miss it.

Yes, the patronages and related news were 4 out of top 5 trending topics at the same time.

And really, when was the last time a royal had first patronages that was considered “groundbreaking”? It’s a nice mix of causes close to her heart and the organizations selected obviously seem to be well thought out and much considered. With just Smart Works, it’s obviously that she’s been working with them for awhile and have gotten to know them well. It felt personal when she’s with them like they know each other well. Can’t be said for every organization when they get a new royal patron. Excited to see Mayhew next week.

Last edited:
Lack of coverage? It literally flooded my TV and was trending. You couldn't miss it. Also I saw the reporter mentioned. Wasn't it Palmer? That isn't exactly what he said. In fact he stated we will later find out what is ground breaking and he thinks they are innovative though conservative (as she followed Kate's template). He also praised her decision to work with women from minority background. He spoke highly of Smart Works. No need to twist his words for an agenda.

Except it wasnt Palmer. So just relax.

So why don’t you tell us who it was and what was actually said exactly rather than have us dependent on your version? It’s a discussion after all.

Good morning. I am very relaxed. :cool: Which reporter was it? Just curious. I had only really seen him go into detail of personal opinion and I followed much of the coverage.

Anyways, It was lovely seeing many of the CEOs and directors being interviewed. A lot of press for the smaller organizations like Smart Works and Mayhew which is the point. Can't beat the international coverage as well.

It’s not my ‘version’. She said the charities arent groundbreaking and they aren’t so what’s the controversy?

She gets enough hateful comments from Meghan fans on Twitter without me naming her here.

Last edited:
It’s not my ‘version’. She said the charities arent groundbreaking and they aren’t so what’s the controversy?

She gets enough hateful comments from Meghan fans on Twitter without me naming her here.

No controversy, but I’ve long ago learned that relating of information is not always accurately reflect what was originally said or that the context was changed to have unintended conclusions drawn. It’s proven by psychological studies. If you aren’t comfortable giving the source, perhaps you shouldn’t bring it here as something that supports whatever view you have as we can’t verify it to discuss.

Its why I rarely "tune in" to what reporters are saying. Some gush, some guffaw and some go after Meghan with both guns firing. Its all perspectives.

I happen to like the choices that Meghan, along with the Queen and Meghan's advisors, made because they just suit her and her interests. Two from the Queen passed down which shows me that the Queen has confidence in Meghan. The National Theater suits (pun intended) Meghan's professional background and ACU goes in tandem with Harry's Commonwealth role. One working with women and one with animals.

Its a good start. She's got the rest of her lifetime to build her charities and patronages up. She's not really doing anything "groundbreaking" at all but rather taking on her part as a team member of the "Firm". She'll also have a new baby to contend with soon and of course, work within the framework of the Royal Foundation. To me it looks like she has a pretty fulfilling and rewarding job, family life and a husband that dotes on her. Who would ask for anything more? ?

They are very good organizations for her. They’re only the first four. She’ll be announcing more patronage’s probably this year. Probably after her maternity leave.

I'm not sure why they should have be "ground breaking"? They're Royal Patronages not cutting edge lab work or research etc. Especially given that two were passed down from HM. Even then the National Theatre will probably put on ground breaking productions she'll be invited to etc. But they fit well and she (yes like many royals) is interested in being more than a line on their letterhead.

I can't speak about the papers but I know it was a fairly big feature on the BBC and ITV news that day because I watched that, not to mention all over the place on SM and news/entertainment sites etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am always wary about when a poster refuses to back up a source. I thought there was a rule shout backing up what you state as fact :ermm:

Certainly anything can be taken out of context, when you don't give the content. :whistling:

What exactly is meant to be ground breaking or controversial here? I would love to know what Royal patronages are considered either. If Meghan had gone way off the deep end and chosen something controversial, she would be crucified. People would claim she is rebelling and not being a proper Royal. Like they do with everything else she does from her nail polish to her wave.

Look at the criticism from many over her work with the Hub.

The Queen gave Meghan full endorsement by passing on the National Theater and ACU patronages to her; two patronages that The Queen has been patron of for 45 and 33 years respectively. That’s a great vote of confidence from The Queen.
Remember when most thought the National Theater was too big and should be reserved for the “senior” royals? And by the way, I think Meghan is a senior royal, at least for the next two decades.
The "unnamed" is an effort to try and bury this great news under the disguise of "reporting".

I am always wary about when a poster refuses to back up a source. I thought there was a rule shout backing up what you state as fact :ermm:

Certainly anything can be taken out of context, when you don't give the content. :whistling:

Well here’s one. Russell Myers said there’s talk about the patronages not being ‘edgy’.

Basically the same thing as not groundbreaking.

What makes me smile is the whole point of Meghan was she was going to do things differently. Certain commentators hyped Meghan’s patronage announcements for the last year. Once the announcement came, it was a bit underwhelming, considering the hype.

It was so lovely to see the Duchess of Sussex visit Smart Works on the day all of her patronage’s were announced. And to learn that Meghan has been quietly visiting and participating with these charities for months. It was fun watching the enthusiasm of the women who were fortunate to get extra attention due to Meghan’s visit. I wish all of them much success.

It was also interesting to see all of the different TV media coverage about the announcement. I watched coverage on all of the major national stations in Canada (CBC, CTV & Global) the US (NBC, ABC,CNN) & UK (BBC). Plus so much worldwide online coverage. The enthusiasm by those associated directly or affiliated with charities was also nice to see. Small world as even the president of one of my alma maters, UWO, gave his congratulations too.

Last edited:
It was so lovely to see the Duchess of Sussex visit Smart Works on the day all of her patronage’s were announced. And to learn that Meghan has been quietly visiting and participating with these charities for months. It was fun watching the enthusiasm of the women who were fortunate to get extra attention due to Meghan’s visit. I wish all of them much success.

It was also interesting to see all of the different TV media coverage about the announcement. I watched coverage on all of the major national stations in Canada (CBC, CTV & Global) the US (NBC, ABC,CNN) & UK (BBC). Plus so much worldwide online coverage. The enthusiasm by those associated directly or affiliated with charities was also nice to see. Small world as even the president of one of my alma maters, UWO, gave his congratulations too.

Yes, the coverage was very interesting - I watched it on CNN. I think these patronages are a good fit.

Yes, the coverage was very interesting - I watched it on CNN. I think these patronages are a good fit.

Yes, they’re very meaningful. I’m so happy that Her Majesty chose the Association of Commonwealth Universities & National Theatre to give to Meghan. Meghan’s previous charitable works fits perfectly with both of these, plus Harry’s role in the Commonwealth will go well with Meghan’s role with the ACU too.

Smart Works & Mayhew are so appropriate as they are local, but also have worldwide presence too.

I’m kind of surprised at the lack of coverage Meghan’s charities announcement received considering how much hype was associated with it.

At least one reporter commented there was nothing groundbreaking about the charities.

There was a blurb on the front page of the telegraph but that was it.

The Sun, DM, Express, Mirror, The Times, Daily Star and Metro didn’t even mentioned it on their front pages.

The coverage in the UK press did die down very quickly. Perhaps it carried more weight stateside.

Well here’s one. Russell Myers said there’s talk about the patronages not being ‘edgy’.

Basically the same thing as not groundbreaking.

What makes me smile is the whole point of Meghan was she was going to do things differently. Certain commentators hyped Meghan’s patronage announcements for the last year. Once the announcement came, it was a bit underwhelming, considering the hype.

I think some reporters are being ridiculous. I do not think either Meghan or the BRF ever said or implied that Meghan's Patronages were going to be groundbreaking or edgy. That was stuff that was said by the tabloids to stir people up. Meghan was always going to be part of the BRF team and her earliest patronages were going to reflect some of her interests. That is how things worked for William, Harry and Catherine--there was no reason to expect anything different from Meghan.

I guess some in the press *were* very much hoping her projects were "edgy" so that they could start weeping, wailing and bitching about how Meghan is totally, completely unsuitable for the BRF. Clearly she doesn't understand how patronages are supposed to be dignified and non controversial and she's going to bring down the monarchy with her radical California activist ways.

The coverage in the UK press did die down very quickly. Perhaps it carried more weight stateside.

Sure but I wasn't expecting it to last past the reporting of the announcement and whenever she makes a visit to one of them. There's only so much they can say about them, but it was covered extensively on the day and the day after. Same for most new patronages but others.

Sure but I wasn't expecting it to last past the reporting of the announcement and whenever she makes a visit to one of them. There's only so much they can say about them, but it was covered extensively on the day and the day after. Same for most new patronages but others.

But that’s what I’m saying. The British newspapers basically ignored the announcement. No front pages the next day. Only a bulletin on Sky and the BBC.

To give an example, Friday’s DM front page made no reference to Meghan’s charity announcement, but Saturday’s DM had James Middletons story about depression on the front page.

I am not sure what there is to discuss - the Mail's narrative has LONG been established. They created a safe haven for a very 'special' subset of people - those people don't care about patronages etc. or actual information. The 'papers' you have listed are almost all tabloids or tabloid-affiliates, they are not there to actually inform the masses and as they don't get enough clicks from a story like this, they'll shaft it for more sensationalised or flat-out made-up nonsense. In this case, especially because it muddies their own shameful and disgruntled narrative about Meghan the Destroyer of all Good and British.

No worries though, the Duchess will likely skip wearing tights next Wednesday and I am sure the front page will be back in full force - bemoaning how the vapid wrench is destroying the monarchy.

Last edited:
You surprised the DM didn't post something positive about Meghan on their cover? Really? ?

She and the organizations got a lot of attention. The DM having a spread inside is really no biggie when it got much international press and BBC and ITV had the heads of the organizations on for interviews. I think that is significantly better than the cover of The Fail which isn't doing too hot anyways.

It was announced and did the rounds. Not sure why people expected it to last beyond that. She will visit on Wednesday and bring attention to another patronage. That is what they all do.

Last edited:
We're supposed to be discussing the Duchess of Sussex's Charities and Patronages, not the way in which the media report them. Further posts of that nature will be deleted without notice.

The excitement and buzz around and about these patronages has been nice to see. Refreshing and positive.

It's a bit sad, that some royal reporters don't see a charity helping out of work women back to work edgy enough, but that charity definitely is excited. I'd like to hear the ideas what would be edgy enough for people.

I've read for months, how Meghan has to learn to tow the line in the RF, how she'll have difficulties with it. But now when her first patronages perfectly fit into the RF fold, there's disappointment, that Meghan didn't break another imaginary protocol.

From my POV, these patronages are a great fit for Meghan, great fit for the RF.

I was so glad to see Meghan and the clients of Smart Works interacting warmly together, chatting really naturally. There's no stiffness when Meghan or Harry speak to others. They are naturally 'person people' and it shows. I think this charity is a great fit for Meghan and hope to see more of Smart Works in the future. Great job!

I was honestly very pleased with the choices. Meghan smartly again avoiding playing to a "type" the media is trying to shoehorn her into. The Queen passed down established and prominent patronages to her and Meghan chose two others that highlighted grassroots organization making a real, measurable impact on peoples' lives in Mayhew and Smart Works---precisely as she articulated she would in her engagement interview. Given the meltdown folks had about the rumors of Meghan only doing international patronages or whatever, we see yet again that rumors and even "exclusives" don't turn out to be true.

Coupled with her on-going work with the Hubb, it is clear that Meghan is finding ways to truly highlight causes and communities doing great and innovative work, but that also allow her to be hands on. Meghan is "value add" to her patronages in a big way not only because she brings a lot of publicity (truly, the patronages she announced received great coverage both in the UK and around the world! Meghan has a lot of star power), but also because she brings a keen mind and a willingness to truly dig deep into the work of the charities.

I have a feeling Meghan will be announcing more initiatives and causes very soon. Very excited to see her continue to invest in organizations and work.

Last edited:
Excellent decision from the Queen to pass these patronages on to Meghan. They are in her wheelhouse as we say. And it shows the Queen has confidence in Meghan to carry these patronages into the future.

I also am thrilled to see her working with SmartWorks and the Mayhew. I donate my gently used clothes to Goodwill, which helps many people with work skills and low priced clothing. And the Mayhew is close to Meghan’s heart since all of her dogs are rescues. Well done, Duchess!

One thing Meghan's involvement with Smart Works has done for me is to remind me that I need to bulldoze my closet out. I've more clothes that don't fit me anymore than ones that actually do fit and shoes with heels that would be a guaranteed trip to the ER if I attempted to wear them today. Office wear that I'll never have need for again.

By donating to Goodwill or to a women's shelter, these clothes will have a better life than just hanging around my closet. I've been in the position of starting over without a clue or a wardrobe to dress "presentably" for a job interview and it was organizations such as Smart Works and Goodwill and United Way that can and do work miracles and give support where needed.

Now to get the body motivated enough to be on the same wavelength as the mind. :D

I wish you the best of luck with the sorting Osipi. Getting past the sentimentality might be a bit harder than you expect.

Well Meghan has been very busy in 2018. What with wedding preparations. Being a part of the BRF doing the public events we saw her with Harry before May 19, and after. And now we learn she has been involved with as in getting to know these patronages. Throw in the Hubb visits and writing a foreward for the book. Then a gruelling South Pacific Tour that would have taken a lot of prep meetings. And just being a wife, its no wonder this vibrant young woman hasn't had the time to be affected by any negativity.
Add to all of that preparing for a baby. The renovations of Frogmore Cottage needing endless discussions. And to top it all off she has to fit in to her schedule learning about British Culture and British History. Essential as so much Royal Tradition observances are based on historical events.

I wish her well and hope she enjoys all of it.

One thing Meghan's involvement with Smart Works has done for me is to remind me that I need to bulldoze my closet out. I've more clothes that don't fit me anymore than ones that actually do fit and shoes with heels that would be a guaranteed trip to the ER if I attempted to wear them today. Office wear that I'll never have need for again.

By donating to Goodwill or to a women's shelter, these clothes will have a better life than just hanging around my closet. I've been in the position of starting over without a clue or a wardrobe to dress "presentably" for a job interview and it was organizations such as Smart Works and Goodwill and United Way that can and do work miracles and give support where needed.

Now to get the body motivated enough to be on the same wavelength as the mind. :D

May I suggest the guidance of Marie Condo? It’s excellent advice on terms of what to keep and what to give away. It’s on Netflix and have inspired me not only to clean out my apartment, but my life. Gratitude is a great way to let go of things we emotionally hold onto, especially when we know we’d find a good home for it in an organization like Smart Works. I’ve volunteered at a Goodwill before, and I have to say even as someone who has auditing nonprofits, it moved me in what they are trying to do. It definitely helps less fortunate people get back to the work force with necessary skills.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom