The Duchess of Sussex's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From a purely fashion response to this thread, this was my favourite look from the Duchess during the three days. That said, I fully appreciate the comments made by some here about the apparent lack of sensitivity to the culture.
I do like the print and the outfit, and she does wear it well. But this was not the place to show so much skin considering the rest of the ladies are in the tradition of covering up more for religious reasons. Megan didn't get the memo when she travels abroad, she needs to listen to advice and bring garments that are in her style but show respect to the people around her, too.

Just for a frame of reference, imagine wearing this same gown to a Middle Eastern event, to an event with Japanese royals or a visit to the Pope or any other religious leader. You can't be that tone deaf about other cultures when your brand is about respecting others with inclusivity.

The dress is from Oscar de la Renta
It looks very like the Stella McCartney wedding reception dress, although not as well-made. (This version seems to pucker across her hips).

Wonder why she didn't just wear the original dress?

It looks very like the Stella McCartney wedding reception dress, although not as well-made. (This version seems to pucker across her hips).

I agree, the dress is very similar to the Stella dress worn to the wedding reception at Frogmore House.

It does remind me of her reception dress. As to why she didn't wear the original, my guess would be that after two pregnancies the dress no longer fits the same way.

She looks very good in it, it is a lovely dress and the shoulder cut/ neckline suits her well.
Do American celebrities actually buy these dresses or does the designer lend it to them for exposure?
As they will probably only wear the dress once the latter may make more sense.

Last edited:
It does remind me of her reception dress. As to why she didn't wear the original, my guess would be that after two pregnancies the dress no longer fits the same way.
It may also be the fact that beeing one of her wedding dresses she does not want it to be associated to any other events. But she is fond of the style and so she purchased a similar one to use for this type of ocasions.

Or the reception dress is in London because wedding dresses and such are often on display. Her wedding dress has been on display before, so I can imagine some important dresses and such are kept somewhere.

It may also be the fact that beeing one of her wedding dresses she does not want it to be associated to any other events. But she is fond of the style and so she purchased a similar one to use for this type of ocasions.
That is a very likely reason too.

The cut of the dress is nice but it seems to have some construction issues. The seams along the sides are puckered

Do American celebrities actually buy these dresses or does the designer lend it to them for exposure?
I am sure celebrities and influencers like Meghan are just lent dresses.

Back
Top Bottom