The Diamond Jubilee Weekend: June 2-5, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have just re-watched Prince Charles' speech. For 6th or 7th time. It's really one of the best speeches in my memory; touching, succinct, wonderfully delivered. Both the Queen and the Duchess of Cornwall appeared to be not only touched by the Prince's words, but also very (and deservingly) proud of him.

My favourite parts:
- 0:03 (Mammy - love the Queen's smile)
- 1:17 (Thank God the weather turned out fine - the Queen's laugh and her remark to the Duchess is just priceless)
- 2:20 (loud cheers for the Duke of Edinburgh, followed by people shouting Philip! Philip!)
- 2:29 and 2:36 (the look on Her Majesty's face; she really is touched by the genuine outpouring of emotions)
- 4:10 (proud to be British)
- 5:10 - 5:20 (three resounding cheers)

I know, I've overused the replay button. :whistling:
It's just it really was a wonderful speech.

Prince Charles' speech at the Diamond Jubilee Concert - YouTube

Last edited:
What did she say to the Duchess?

Prince Charles' speech was very moving. He definitely has the art of public speaking down pat. His sincerity and love for his parents was very palpable as he spoke.

ghost_night554 said:
For anyone interested the Thames River Pageant and Service tomorrow will be released on dvd on June 18th 2012

"Diamond Jubilee" The Diamond Queen & The Diamond Jubilee: The Official BBC Highlights DVD Set (DVD) at BBC Shop

I'm just trying to get confirmation now if the concert will also be put onto dvd

The Golden Jubilee Concert was released on DVD. My guess would be this concert will be as well!! :)

Great that there is a highlight DVD being released! Yup, must get that - heres hoping that the Beeb has better cutaways or stuff we didn't necessarily see!! That would be cool!!

Last edited:
I love pictures like this one. The crowds were enormous and really good-natured:
Diamond Jubilee - Buckingham Palace Concert - Pictures - Zimbio

The crowds were amazing. In fact, everything about this Jubilee week is amazing.
You know, millions of people around the world - including Armenia - watched yesterday's Pageant and today's concert or part of them, and once again marvelled at British spirit. You really are fascinating lot! No one, not one single nation I know of can organise such splendid displays of pomp and pageantry full of meaning in every detail.

The Golden Jubilee Concert was released on DVD. My guess would be this concert will be as well!! :)
Great that there is a highlight DVD being released! Yup, must get that - heres hoping that the Beeb has better cutaways or stuff we didn't necessarily see!! That would be cool!!
Well, that's one DVD I'm definitely buying.
Wonderful performances, legendary artists, a moving speech.

Last edited:
Charles did an excellent job with his speech. He was absolutely spot-on. I almost felt like Camilla should have put her arm around the Queen to comfort her when she was overwhelmed with emotion. Then again, I'm not entire sure someone as stoic as HM would appreciate that in public.

However, I'm sure her children and grandchildren all gave her a big hug once they got back to the palace. :hug:

I'm sure HM got big hugs afterward, but I doubt she's have appreciated Camilla's (or anyone's) arm around her in public. She's stalwart and contained, and Camilla was smart to realize to just leave her be.

Last edited:
That's very kind of you to say, Artemisia. I hope your fellow Armenians enjoyed it.

Tonight has made me a bit more confident for the Olympics. I think the reason we do the pomp very well is that usually the Queen's staff who organise it all are ex-military. So everything is drilled and planned down to the minute. The Olympics opening and closing ceremonies are being organised by the elite artsy types who run and judge the Turner Prize. Google it to see why I'm worried about these people presenting our nation to the world.

Prince Charles kissing his Mama's hand after delivering his beautiful speech

That's a lovely and debonair gesture; I hope she gave him a big kiss afterward!

Last edited:
That's very kind of you to say, Artemisia. I hope your fellow Armenians enjoyed it.

Tonight has made me a bit more confident for the Olympics. I think the reason we do the pomp very well is that usually the Queen's staff who organise it all are ex-military. So everything is drilled and planned down to the minute. The Olympics opening and closing ceremonies are being organised by the elite artsy types who run and judge the Turner Prize. Google it to see why I'm worried about these people presenting our nation to the world.

Prince Charles kissing his Mama's hand after delivering his beautiful speech

I worry about that too since I hear rumours they want to present a new modern Britain and think perhaps the monarchy and the military are a quaint and outdated image of the country. Hopefully they wont go too overboard with the avant garde and realize that traditions do have their place in the presentation of the UK.

1st article- Grace Jones- OK, I have seen it all now!:eek: Can you imagine what Prince Phillip would have said?:lol:
Annie Lennox- How bizarre to strap angel wings to your gown!:eek:

2nd article-
Camilla's gown reminds me of Cinderella at the ball!

What a wonderful tribute to his mummy. I actually had tears in my eyes! And for the love of god why was Grace Jones there? Im sure they could have found someone more, how should I say, normal. I know its Grace but, really??? Anyway, good show and beautiful display of fireworks. I hope the DoE gets better soon, a shame he will miss out. Long live the Queen and long may she reign!! :)

I'm looking forward to hearing Her Majesty's Jubilee Address. I'm glad she's giving one on this momentous occasion.

I really enjoyed yesterday night concert. I wish I was British...I would have felt so proud.
Her Majesty has been with us for so many years that she is THE QUEEN even for the people from other countries, not just for Great Britain and Commonwealth.

Sorry is there any live streaming of the Service of Thanksgiving at San Paul's?

Last edited:
Centre stage for the Diamond Jubilee concert

I was fortunate enough to have standing tickets - right in front of the stage for last nights concert. Excellent! Such a shame about Phillip though. I have posted a review and excellent photos here.
Diamond Jubilee Concert - InfoBarrel

Thank you for sharing your experience :flowers:. It's a memory of a lifetime, I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom