Service of Thanksgiving for the Duke of Edinburgh; 29 March 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Part of being good royalty and noblesse oblige is being patient and tolerant. Aside from that, considering how much both the Queen and DoE and and were said to long for things to go wrong during their events (just for variety, I suppose), aside from unfortunate Margrethe (and maybe even her), perhaps the other royals have a similar attitude to things not going as planned.

Perhaps Philip did it on purpose. It would be characteristic of his service, anyway.

I'd forgotten all about that! That was one thing about Philip that the Queen relished. The gaffes, the things that went bump and messed up something that they could have a good giggle over. And.. sometimes Philip *did* instigate things to liven things up.

Queen Margrethe probably didn't give any real thought to being "inconvenienced" and wouldn't ever make a fuss about it at all. Royals are people as much as we are and the majority of us realize that things can and do go wrong and that the earth and it's people don't revolve around us. I really would have loved to have been a fly on the wall if Elizabeth and Margrethe found time to just sit down and have a chat with each other over tea about the event. Lots of memories pouring out there I bet and a few giggles to boot. :D

Missing from the Service of Thanksgiving – correct me if I have missed any of these

Sarah, Duchess of York
Duke & Duchess of Sussex (but we are not discussing that in this forum)
Countess of Ulster
Lady Davina Windsor
The Duchess of Kent
Lady Marina-Charlotte Windsor
Lord and Lady Nicholas Windsor
Timothy Taylor
Columbus Taylor
Eloise Taylor
Estella Taylor
Princess Alexandra, Lady Ogilvy
Alexander Ogilvy
Marina Ogilvy
Christian Mowatt
Zenouska Mowatt
Flora, Lady Saltoun

Last edited:
I do not know how long they were standing there but it seems that Philippe and Mathilde were waiting on the street, in the company of an officer:

If I understand posters description of the situation correctly, normal traffic was passing by while the King and Queen were waiting on the pavement?

Hopefully it wasn't too chilly for them!

I do think too often it is people like us, royal observers, who get too hung up on things like timings, things going wrong etc. It was surprising the British Royal Household, who are usually so so good at getting everything to run to time, had an issue and I think there is a bigger issue at foot (the recent tour, this service) suggesting a lack of experience but it shouldn't detract from what was a lovely service. I doubt the foreign royals took more than a moments notice and enjoyed some extra time to speak to the Queen's wider family.

Nice to see the royal cousins having lunch after together though I'm a little surprised they didn't attend the receptions at either Windsor or Clarence House that happened. But I'm sure they did what was right for them and lovely to spend some quality time with family.

Nice to see the royal cousins having lunch after together though I'm a little surprised they didn't attend the receptions at either Windsor or Clarence House that happened. But I'm sure they did what was right for them and lovely to spend some quality time with family.

I am still confused about what happened after the service. Why were there two separate receptions and who attended each one?

I am still confused about what happened after the service. Why were there two separate receptions and who attended each one?

The reception at St James' Palace was for the foreign royals and was hosted by Prince Charles and other royals (I'm guessing Anne, William, Edward and spouses). The service at Windsor was for the German relatives of Prince Philip (plus Mountbattens) who had not had the opportunity to attend their relative's funeral. There was to be a tea later which Prince Charles attended.

What ever next?

I find it very hard to believe that Princess Alexandra would have scheduled a vacation when this date was well-known, months in advance ... and given the fact that she is not just a cousin-in-law, but an actual cousin of the DofE through her mother. Her son, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter attended.

I hope she's not ill ... but, that seems to be likely.

Were there any photos from the reception at St James' Palace?

The service was uploaded to youtube:

Missing from the Service of Thanksgiving – correct me if I have missed any of these

Sarah, Duchess of York
Lady Davina Windsor
The Duchess of Kent
Timothy Taylor
Columbus Taylor
Eloise Taylor
Estella Taylor
Alexander Ogilvy
Marina Ogilvy
Christian Mowatt
Zenouska Mowatt
Flora, Lady Saltoun

Isn’t Davina to the right on the photo?

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detai...e-for-the-news-photo/1239587336?adppopup=true

Sarah, Duchess of York
Countess of Ulster
Lady Davina Windsor
The Duchess of Kent
Timothy Taylor
Columbus Taylor
Eloise Taylor
Estella Taylor
Alexander Ogilvy
Marina Ogilvy
Christian Mowatt
Zenouska Mowatt
Flora, Lady Saltoun

Can you really say Sarah was missing when there was almost no probability she was invited?

It's too bad about Princess Alexandra. And Pamela Hicks.

The reception at St James' Palace was for the foreign royals and was hosted by Prince Charles and other royals (I'm guessing Anne, William, Edward and spouses). The service at Windsor was for the German relatives of Prince Philip (plus Mountbattens) who had not had the opportunity to attend their relative's funeral. There was to be a tea later which Prince Charles attended.

Is there a definitive list of the German relatives and the Mountbattens at the Memorial Service.

Of the Mountbattens all I saw were the Countess Mountbatten of Burma, India Hicks and David Flint Wood.

I thought Sarah was being welcomed back into the fold?

Maybe, but given the service was specifically for the memory of someone who got joy in saying she’d been run over, doesn’t that seem a bit contradictory? (Plus I imagine Philip’s wishes might have been to not have her there, either.)

I thought Sarah was being welcomed back into the fold?

The Queen is happy to have her around but Philip detested her.

When she would visit Balmoral she would go up for the week/end closest to Beatrice's birthday and leave before Philip would arrive so they didn't meet. There are even pictures of her leaving the Castle about an hour before he arrived.

He attended both her daughter's weddings but that was out of love for Beatrice and Eugenie. Otherwise he refused to have anything to do with her.

Is there a definitive list of the German relatives and the Mountbattens at the Memorial Service.

Of the Mountbattens all I saw were the Countess Mountbatten of Burma, India Hicks and David Flint Wood.

Nicholas, Lord Brabourne, Lady Alexandra Hooper and their respective spouses were definitely there. I think Timothy Knatchbull and his wife were as well.

Last edited:
Maybe, but given the service was specifically for the memory of someone who got joy in saying she’d been run over, doesn’t that seem a bit contradictory? (Plus I imagine Philip’s wishes might have been to not have her there, either.)

Sarah has been accepted as being someone that remains very close to her ex-husband and children and yes.. she has been to Balmoral to visit with the Queen at the Queen's invite but it's *always* noted, without fail, that Sarah will leave before Philip would arrive. I don't think they've spent any time whatsoever talking to each other as individuals since Sarah had those toe sucking pictures plasted all over front pages.

Sometimes things like this happen. The Queen Mum was the same way with Wallis Simpson. Some things in a relationship between two people can never, ever be repaired. I did not expect Sarah to attend this service of thanksgiving nor did I expect anyone to think it was odd she wasn't there. Philip's antipathy towards Sarah was very, very well known.

As far as I'm aware this has not been announced by the Palace. The Palace has only announced the senior members of the Royal Family who attended (ILuvBertie posted the entry in the Court Circular upthread).

The press simply reported there were around 51 relatives from the German side of Prince Philip's family and that there was to be a tea at Windsor. India posted the photos of herself in St George's Chapel and the service booklet of the Chapel service.

Sarah has been accepted as being someone that remains very close to her ex-husband and children and yes.. she has been to Balmoral to visit with the Queen at the Queen's invite but it's *always* noted, without fail, that Sarah will leave before Philip would arrive. I don't think they've spent any time whatsoever talking to each other as individuals since Sarah had those toe sucking pictures plasted all over front pages.

Sometimes things like this happen. The Queen Mum was the same way with Wallis Simpson. Some things in a relationship between two people can never, ever be repaired. I did not expect Sarah to attend this service of thanksgiving nor did I expect anyone to think it was odd she wasn't there. Philip's antipathy towards Sarah was very, very well known.

She is, however, technically still a member of the royal family, no? They mention her on the website here which was updated as recent as Beatrice and Edo’s marriage https://www.royal.uk/sites/default/files/media/annex_d_-_royal_family_11.pdf

Last edited:
Queen Elizabeth II is a member of the Order of the Golden Fleece. Does that make her also King Felipe VI's "vassal" per your logic?

Not so fast - the Order of the Golden Fleece is a Christian one, founded by a Royal from Burgundy, which is now France. The Order of the Garter is an English one, founded by an English King!

And I did not say, King Felipe is a vassal, but that he is treated like one!!!

And I can not imagine, that Queen Elizabeth II. would be treated in Spain or Denmark, like King Felipe and Queen Margarthe of Demark were treated in Windsor - if this ever happens, then things went very bad for the UK and it lost all international respect.

Do you really think, that Queen Elizabeth would have to wait after a Danish prayer service for King Hendrik until the last most distant relative of the Danish Royal Family has passed, just to be herded into a Bus with other Nobles and Royals and the bus would be even late? Come on!

Sorry not to have seen Pamela hicks but maybe she was at Windsor. I hadn’t realized that her daughter India Hicks had just got back from Poland where she was with Global Empowerment Mission, a disaster relief org she has worked with for 3 years beginning with hurricane in the Bahamas.

Sarah, Duchess of York
Countess of Ulster
Lady Davina Windsor
The Duchess of Kent
Timothy Taylor
Columbus Taylor
Eloise Taylor
Estella Taylor
Alexander Ogilvy
Marina Ogilvy
Christian Mowatt
Zenouska Mowatt
Flora, Lady Saltoun

Zenouska Mowatt did attend. She is in the video leaving holding the arm of her aunt Julia Ogilvy. She has shared her outfit details to Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbtFa8iICZR/?utm_medium=copy_link

What happened to not going round in circles.

Back
Top Bottom