Service of Thanksgiving for the Duke of Edinburgh; 29 March 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm still working my way through watching the entire service but I have to admit that I am enjoying the commentary more than watching the people or to see who wore what. So far my favorite clip has to be near the beginning before the service even started where Huw Edwards is interviewing Simon Weston, CBE about his experiences meeting with the DoE and it's an incredibly amusing, yet very touching, story that seems to echo throughout the entire service whenever someone is asked about how they saw Philip, the man. "God, Weston, you got fat!" cracked me up as much as it did them relating the story.

This theme has resounded so much through the service so far as I've gotten (I seem to have the attention span of a gnat these days). I really thought our conversations in this thread about the service would center around remembering Philip like they did instead of focusing on things that went wrong and what people seemed to be snubbed. No one is actually talking about Philip and his life and the memories that were the purpose of the whole Service of Thanksgiving in the first place. :sad:

Where is that video so I can watch the story?

Where is that video so I can watch the story?

Marengo posted it upthread and that's how I was able to find it but I'll post it here again so it saves you time going back through this thread.

I think you'll like it.

Marengo posted it upthread and that's how I was able to find it but I'll post it here again so it saves you time going back through this thread.

I think you'll like it.

My reaction? “ Wow, I really misunderstood the DOE.” My favorite parts were the speakers before the service— who knew the Duke- especially the first 2. You can’t listen to that Faulkands War veteran- and not be moved- and your heart changed. I loved all the little things he did, that he didn’t have to do without fanfare.
And I love hearing the difference he made to young people- hadn’t a clue.

My reaction? “ Wow, I really misunderstood the DOE.” My favorite parts were the speakers before the service— who knew the Duke- especially the first 2. You can’t listen to that Faulkands War veteran- and not be moved- and your heart changed. I loved all the little things he did, that he didn’t have to do without fanfare.
And I love hearing the difference he made to young people- hadn’t a clue.

And such were the "gaffes" made by Philip towards someone taken as something kind of special rather than feeling slurred. Look how Weston laughed at Philip stating "God, Weston! You got fat!". He even he'd have been insulted if it wasn't true. That statement really just pointed out that Philip *did* remember the man. Philip had a sharp, agile mind and he knew how to use it.

I think one of my favorite Philipcisms that stick in my mind is when he was out and about and remarked about a woman standing there in a rather tight dress that zipped down the front. He quipped "I bet I'd be arrested if I unzipped that!" The Queen absolutely never knew what was going to come out of his mouth next and life was never boring. Bet she really lost count of how many times she's sighed "Oh Philip!" and rolled her eyes and most definitely misses those times.

So many people all over the world that have their own special memories of the man that if they were all compounded into books, a huge library would have to be built to just hold them. ?

I spoke to a member of the protocol officer the day of the memorial and some of the mess was caused by last minute changes to the seating arrangements. I gather that the Cambridges were to sit in the front seat - but that would have divided the family, also at this time Louis was attending. Louise and James Wessex were supposed to be in the bus with Peter Philips and Zara's families.
I gather that at last minute all front 3 rows were changed. Either to bring the children of the DOE to the front - but they allowed the Wessex's children to seat upfront, rather then divide the Cambridges. Either way, plans were moved and moved around until the day of the memorial.
There was also a problem of what was actually been followed. I re watched the memorial and you can see Edward move Princess Anne in front of him - although she is reluctant and then when he waits for Beatrice and Eugenie - they give him a shrug. So on leaving the church - you have the order. So it looks like the order was Queens' children first - except William who goes second.
1. Charles and Camilla
2. The Cambridge's
3. Princess Royals and Timothy Lawrence
4. A very large gap
5. The Wessex's
6. Peter and Zara

Check time stamp 01:50:49

Last edited:

I think you'll like it.

I am probably in the minority here, but I actually found the service a bit underwhelming.

I admit I am somewhat biased because I normally find Protestant services bland compared to the elaborate liturgies of the Catholic and Orthodox churches, but I actually liked Prince Philip's funeral at St George's chapel. It was very moving with the four-person choir and the military elements. I understand this week's ceremony was a Service of Thanksgiving, thus different from a funeral, but I don't know, it felt to me like something was missing.

Thank you Marengo and Osipi for posting the video of the service. I watched every minute.

Two thoughts:

The Duke of Kent and his sister-in-law Princess Michael are to be commended for the spirit in which they tackled that long walk up the aisle. That's royalty.

Lady Louise Windsor is lovely. What an attractive young lady.

What a fine service.

I spoke to a member of the protocol officer the day of the memorial and some of the mess was caused by last minute changes to the seating arrangements. I gather that the Cambridges were to sit in the front seat - but that would have divided the family, also at this time Louis was attending. Louise and James Wessex were supposed to be in the bus with Peter Philips and Zara's families.
I gather that at last minute all front 3 rows were changed. Either to bring the children of the DOE to the front - but they allowed the Wessex's children to seat upfront, rather then divide the Cambridges. Either way, plans were moved and moved around until the day of the memorial.
There was also a problem of what was actually been followed. I re watched the memorial and you can see Edward move Princess Anne in front of him - although she is reluctant and then when he waits for Beatrice and Eugenie - they give him a shrug. So on leaving the church - you have the order. So it looks like the order was Queens' children first - except William who goes second.
1. Charles and Camilla
2. The Cambridge's
3. Princess Royals and Timothy Lawrence
4. A very large gap
5. The Wessex's
6. Peter and Zara

Check time stamp 01:50:49
The BRF seating was definitely based on Family Precedence placing Prince Philip's children squarely in front. Things got a little messy when some of the great-grandchildren needed to be seating with their parents but basically, the Duke's children sat in the front row as would be expected in a Memorial Service.

We were all told that Prince Philip had made his feelings on the matter of his funeral very clear with a short homily and a few rousing hymns. I think it was very close to what he had specified only on a very small Covid scale which luckily was allowed at that time. The Memorial Service was to be a chance for his family, all 51 that made it, and royals who knew him closely as he was the only Consort they had ever known.

The rest of the dignitaries were merely proforma as it was a chance for all his family and friends to pay their respects and celebrate his extraordinary life. It may have descended into chaos in the end but really, it hardly caused a Diplomatic Incident.

Can we not concentrate on those that came to remember a beloved husband, father, grandfather, great-grandfather, great uncle, great-nephew, cousin and friends and observe that there were representatives from all his patronages, from the military to the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme with ages ranging from the few contemporaries still alive and youngsters such as those the formed a welcome at the door.

That day all of them had the chance to remember, share, laugh and reminisce and continue on after the service with a meal, a drink or just a get-together to talk about a giant of a man the likes of which we shall never see again.

The BRF seating was definitely based on Family Precedence placing Prince Philip's children squarely in front. Things got a little messy when some of the great-grandchildren needed to be seating with their parents but basically, the Duke's children sat in the front row as would be expected in a Memorial Service.

I get the idea of giving priority to the family. But why were politicians and military officers (the chiefs of defense staff) given such prominent seats at the service, sitting opposite, I think, to the royals? That is very unusual at British royal events as politicians are normally kept far from the Royal Family. At William and Kate's wedding, for example, I remember that cabinet ministers actually sat at the choir, very far from the altar.

Furthermore, when it comes to family, I also understand prioritizing Prince Philip's direct descendants, i.e. his children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren, but what does that have to do with the Queen's nephews and their children, or the Queen's cousins and their children and grandchildren, who, in same cases, were barely related to Prince Philip?

I keep hearing that Prince Charles wants a slimmed-down core Royal Family, but last week we saw exactly the opposite at the Abbey with a version of the Queen's famous inflated balconies and distant relatives given in this case a precedence that they were never given before in those kinds of events (for example, ahead of foreign monarchs who also happen to be Prince Philip's relatives).

Sometimes I wonder if the Queen's old age and visibly declining health were not also factors in that unusual protocol as if they are trying to make the most out of the chances for the "extended" family to be seen together in public.

Last edited:
His closest Cousin alive Prince Michel of Greece was sad not to be between the 30 Family Members the day of his Funerals , he should have represented Greece.
He did not attend the Thanksgiving ?
Michael could NOT "represent Greece" as this country is republic now. Greece could only represented these days by a high ranking greek diplomat, minister or so.
The GREEK ROYAL FAMILY indeed was represented very properly and most fitting by the EX-Queen, the CP couple and HM´s youngest son and his wife!

Just a question, maybe I miss something: why it must be the foreign royals' fault if they left at a wrong timing? Why it must be their own decision if they left at a wrong timing?

I rewatched some clips and saw some officer greeted them during the arrival and followed them into the abbey, and when they left, there was some officer leading them as well (I believe it's the same person based on the uniform, I could be wrong though). I assume that person is responsible for the foreign royals group and guiding them.

BTW the foreign royals' aide-de-camp even left before the Wessex. I don't know what's happening here.

Even though it's rare for BRF, it's completely understandable if there's some mishap. But blaming everything on the guests and calling them "rude and arrogant" just doesn't make sense.

Arrival: the gentleman stood next to the gate

Departure: the gentleman walked before Philippe and Mathilde
That´s exactly what I was stating before when an australian poster falsely claimed "it was their own fault".
You are absolutely right. It is normally an usher´s or aide du camp´s job to lead the guests to and afterwards from their seats to their limousines or buses! I´ve been watching royal events like these life a dozens of times throughout the years; after the service or occasion the royal people remain seated until there is a signal given and they are being picked up by someone who says "time to go now". After that they do in order of precedence or seating.

That´s exactly what I was stating before when an australian poster falsely claimed "it was their own fault".
You are absolutely right. It is normally an usher´s or aide du camp´s job to lead the guests to and afterwards from their seats to their limousines or buses! I´ve been watching royal events like these life a dozens of times throughout the years; after the service or occasion the royal people remain seated until there is a signal given and they are being picked up by someone who says "time to go now". After that they do in order of precedence or seating.

From my experience that's a normal practice for most of the non-royal public events too. I wouldn't be surprised some staff were assigned to give the non-royal guests signal as well. If they really let the guests to figure out when to leave by themselves......well all I can say is that's a bold and risk move.

And such were the "gaffes" made by Philip towards someone taken as something kind of special rather than feeling slurred. Look how Weston laughed at Philip stating "God, Weston! You got fat!". He even he'd have been insulted if it wasn't true. That statement really just pointed out that Philip *did* remember the man. Philip had a sharp, agile mind and he knew how to use it.

I think one of my favorite Philipcisms that stick in my mind is when he was out and about and remarked about a woman standing there in a rather tight dress that zipped down the front. He quipped "I bet I'd be arrested if I unzipped that!" The Queen absolutely never knew what was going to come out of his mouth next and life was never boring. Bet she really lost count of how many times she's sighed "Oh Philip!" and rolled her eyes and most definitely misses those times.

So many people all over the world that have their own special memories of the man that if they were all compounded into books, a huge library would have to be built to just hold them. ?
Yes indeed. Whole libraries. ?
That’s very true- I almost always found what HRH had to say amusing, but I didn’t realize how special it made people feel.
To be honest, before yesterday, kindness and compassion would not be the first words to come to mind when thinking about the Duke. Now…
I would have loved to have met him. Entertaining. We would have had some good jokes about me running people over.
I can only imagine how the Queen misses him. Never a dull moment.

From my experience that's a normal practice for most of the non-royal public events too. I wouldn't be surprised some staff were assigned to give the non-royal guests signal as well. If they really let the guests to figure out when to leave by themselves......well all I can say is that's a bold and risk move.

Im sure there were ushers to do this, but possibly, with 2 years of Covid and not many public appearances on this scale for the RF, they were inexperiencd or out of practice and the signals got mixed.

Correct, but I assume the Greek line via Queen Sofia is the closest one in degree of kinship ?

In the Victoria line for example, King Felipe would be Prince Philip's third cousin once removed. I would have to look up the Battenberg line, but maybe second cousin twice removed? I believe Prince Philip and Don Juan, Count of Barcelona, were second cousins because Queen Ena and Princess Andrew were both granddaughters of Prince Alexander of Hesse and by Rhine, thus first cousins.

Princess Victoria of Hesse married Louis of Battenberg. Rather confusingly, her aunt, Princess Beatrice, married Henry of Battenberg, the younger brother of Louis, making Beatrice the sister-in-law of Victoria as well as the aunt! Prince Philip was the grandson of Victoria and Louis, and Juan Carlos is the great-grandson of Henry and Beatrice, making Felipe their great-grandson ... so, yes, Philip and Juan were second cousins. So Philip and Felipe were second cousins twice removed. Very confusing!!

The fact that Beatrice was the sister of Philip's great-grandmother, Alice, means that they were also ... er, I can't face trying to work that one out!

!

The fact that Beatrice was the sister of Philip's great-grandmother, Alice, means that they were also ... er, I can't face trying to work that one out!

Should be 3 cousins once removed.

And via Greece it is also cousins twice remvoed.

The CC for this event has a special highlight. If my memory serves (and based on my records) this is the first time that either Prince George or Princess Charlotte have appeared in the CC since they were baptised. This was obviously written before the event as Prince Louis was also listed by with a TBC. At his age I would always have thought he was too young.

Windsor Castle
The Service of Thanksgiving for The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh was held in Westminster Abbey this morning.

The Queen, accompanied by The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge with Prince George of Cambridge, Princess Charlotte of Cambridge and Prince Louis of Cambridge[TBC], The Duke of York with Princess Beatrice, Mrs. Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi and Mr. Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi and Princess Eugenie, Mrs. Jack Brooksbank and Mr. Jack Brooksbank, The Earl and Countess of Wessex with The Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor and Viscount Severn, The Princess Royal and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, Mr. Peter Phillips, Mr. and Mrs. Michael Tindall, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, The Duke of Kent, Prince and Princess Michael of Kent, and other Members of the Royal Family and Members of The Duke of Edinburgh's Family, was present.

Members of Foreign Royal Families and other Foreign Representatives attended.

The Dean of Westminster conducted the Service.

The Dean of Windsor gave an Address.

The Archbishop of Canterbury pronounced the Blessing.

Interesting. And likewise interesting that the Court Circular reflects the original arrangements and not the last-minute modification of the Queen being accompanied by the Duke of York. What does TBC stand for in the context of the Court Circular?

I read that Lord Ivar and his new partner were there as well.

source: Royal Musings: Service of Thanksgiving for HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

Thanks! Lord Ivar and James Coyle married in 2018; James remains a plain Mr. because according to the laws of the UK only a woman who marries a man is entitled to her spouse's rank and style. (Ironically, Lord Ivar's ex-wife retains the right to style herself Lady Ivar Mountbatten.)

Here is a Mail Online article which names the photographed guests at the service. I hope there are no errors.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...ls-unite-Prince-Philips-memorial-service.html

The Telegraph published a full transcript of the Dean of Windsor's address:

There’s no discouragement / shall make him once relent / his first avowed intent / to be a pilgrim.

These are John Bunyan’s words from our opening hymn. They remind us very much of the courage, integrity, steadfastness, and sense of purpose that were part of the intriguing and attractive mix that went to make up the personality of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. But in what was it all rooted?

In 1947, Prince Philip was made a Knight of the Order of the Garter. On the back of his stall in St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle, is fixed, in perpetuity and for everyone to see, a small enamelled brass plate on which is inscribed his motto. It is simply: “God is My Help”. We do not understand the man unless we see him, at the heart, to be a man of faith.

That faith was never dogmatic, sentimental or paraded and, as it went in search of understanding, was frequently questioned and examined. However, it was real and it endured, inspiring and shaping a lifetime of commitment to the making of this world a better place.

I am not sure that Prince Philip had much time for the theological controversies that divide people. His faith was a heartfelt trust in a loving God whose intention for this world is glimpsed in the life and teaching of Jesus Christ; such trust, such hope, as could unite people in a common endeavour.

This trust, this hope, was not idle wishful thinking or escapism. Rather, it evoked in him a kind of impatience; eagerness for that God-intended future upon which his gaze was always fixed.

He knew however that that future, from any human point of view, had to be arrived at step by step. He was practical, wanting to put flesh upon his dreams, and (acknowledging the limitations of living in this so-called “real world”) he devoted his astonishing intellectual and physical energy, his enormous capacity for sheer hard work, to a host of down-to-earth enterprises. These included the equipping of young people to face tomorrow’s challenges, the encouragement of respect and care for the natural order, and his pioneering work in facilitating conversation between representatives of the different world faiths.

Through his passionate commitment, he drew others to himself in admiration and respect and, in the case of those who lived and worked most closely to him, genuine love.

However, I sense that he did not believe that all these achievements were made in his own strength. I am reminded of those words: “God is My Help”. I think he understood his constant need of inspiration and of guidance. I am quite sure that his prayers were not reserved for public occasions alone.

He would hate to think that I should paint a picture of him as a “plaster saint”; someone without the usual human foibles and failings. He was far too self-aware ever to be taken in by flattery. Of course, it must be said that his life bore the marks of sacrifice and service. Certainly, he could show great sympathy and kindness. There is no doubt that he had a delightfully engaging, and often self-deprecating, sense of humour. It is quite clear that his mind held together both speculation and common sense. Moreover, nobody would ever doubt his loyalty and deep devotion to our Queen and to their family. Yet, there were times when he could be abrupt; maybe, in robust conversation, forgetting just how intimidating he could be. A kind of natural reserve sometimes made him seem a little distant. He could be somewhat sharp in pricking what he thought to be bubbles of pomposity or sycophancy. On the other hand, we should not forget that he himself was sometimes wounded by being unfairly criticised or misunderstood.

Like the rest of us, he was part of flawed humanity. Unlike most of us however, he was one of those rare people who remained true to, and guided by, what you might call “an inner spiritual compass”; a sense of being called to play a part in the making of a God-intended world.

As we give thanks for the life of a remarkable man, perhaps out greatest tribute to him, most especially in these far too troubled times, will be for us to accept the challenge, implicit in his life, to rekindle in our hearts something of that call, and to pray (as I think he did) for the inspiration and the guidance to play our part, however small, in working for a kinder future.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...conner-tribute-humour-prince-philip-memorial/

I liked the Dean's acknowledgement of the Duke's well-known flaws while putting them into the context of his admirably self-deprecating and goal-oriented character.

His address also repeats the "pilgrim" theme from the service.

Last edited:
Interesting. And likewise interesting that the Court Circular reflects the original arrangements and not the last-minute modification of the Queen being accompanied by the Duke of York. What does TBC stand for in the context of the Court Circular?

I assume TBC means 'To Be Confirmed'; and as we all know in the end he did not attend...

I assume TBC means 'To Be Confirmed'; and as we all know in the end he did not attend...

That would explain why the Duke of York is stated as accompanying his daughters rather than the Queen. But I find it very strange that the Court Circular entries (even for important events) are apparently written in advance without being updated to communicate actual events. If a royal needs to cancel an engagement at the last moment are they nevertheless listed as attending the engagement in the Court Circular?

Is there a full transcript of the address from Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award holder (and team captain for the DofE's Do it 4 Youth campaign) Doyin Sonibare?

The Telegraph has some quotations, but they apparently did not transcribe her address in its entirety, unlike the Dean of Windsor's address.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-holder-tribute-prince-philip-doyin-sonibare/

“I had previously heard about the award, but I never applied until my mum encouraged me to, she’s strict and Nigerian so it’s very difficult to say no to her,” she said.

“I was happy I could learn new skills and build upon my interests such as learning how to drive and playing netball.

"But I was worried about the expedition, I grew up in East London and had never been camping before. I also had a fear of climbing steep hills - I kept thinking I was going to trip up, roll down the mountain and it’s lights out for Doyin.”

“I remember thinking to myself, if I could complete this expedition, I can do anything; even though at the time I was 18 and unsure about my future,” she said.

Ms Sonibare described how she had gone on to university and got a job at IBM, thanks to the scheme.

“All the answers in my CV and interview were all related to work I had previously done with the award,” she told the congregation.

“Give an example of where you have shown teamwork skills - my expedition in Wales.

“Give an example of where you have taken initiative – I had to fundraise for my volunteering trip to The Gambia.

“It all linked back to the award which actually links back to the golden word - opportunity. On reflection, I never thought I could do half of the things I have done in the last decade, yet I’ve been able to do so because of the opportunities presented to me.”

[...]

“Today, you’ve learnt how his legacy has impacted me and how it will continue to impact future generations to come,” she added.

“The world has been through so much turmoil and in these times, it is so important to show our support to young people, to encourage them with opportunities and empower them to reach their full potential.”

The reception at St James' Palace was for the foreign royals and was hosted by Prince Charles and other royals (I'm guessing Anne, William, Edward and spouses). The service at Windsor was for the German relatives of Prince Philip (plus Mountbattens) who had not had the opportunity to attend their relative's funeral. There was to be a tea later which Prince Charles attended.

Does anyone know if The Queen attended either of these events? It seems unlikely as she doesn't seem to be mentioned, and a real shame if she was unable too.

Does anyone know if The Queen attended either of these events? It seems unlikely as she doesn't seem to be mentioned, and a real shame if she was unable too.

According to what they said on tv, she traveled immediately back to Windsor Castle, so if she attended anything at all after the service, it’s probably that one...

It sounds likely to me as it was for Prince Philip’s sisters families and for the Mountbatten’s... Then she could see them at her home and then retire to her own apartment if she had pain in her legs.

I am confused about where the reception for the foreign royals was held. Was it at Clarence House or St James's Palace?

The two buildings are part of the same complex and are interconnected so it is probably hard to say for sure. St James' has bigger reception rooms so they may have gone for that to give more space as Clarence House doesn't have any "super large" rooms especially if a sit down meal was served.

Back
Top Bottom