Service of Thanksgiving for the Duke of Edinburgh; 29 March 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany
Queen Elizabeth has agreed that a Service of Thanksgiving for theDuke of Edinburgh will take place at Westminster Abbey in spring 2022.

** westminster-abbey: Duke of Edinburgh memorial service at the Abbey **

** pa media/dailymail: Thanksgiving service for Duke of Edinburgh planned for the spring **

Mod. note by Marengo:

We expect members to discuss the Duke of Sussex in his own thread and not here.

If the Sussex-thread is closed it means that the topic can not be discussed - as is explained in the opening post of the Sussex thread.

Any comments on the Sussexes in this thread will not be moved but deleted.

You can find the Sussex-thread here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to hazard a wild guess here and postulate that the Service of Thanksgiving will be held on April 9, 2022 which is the first anniversary of Philip's passing. ?

I am going to hazard a wild guess here and postulate that the Service of Thanksgiving will be held on April 9, 2022 which is the first anniversary of Philip's passing. ?
And Easter falls later in April 2022 so that date is a possibly.

Will any of Prince Philip's relatives from Germany attend the service?

In that case I assume we may expect other foreign royals as well.

And I am pretty sure descendants of Philip's sisters (his (great)nieces and nephews) will attend as well just like they did at the funeral but now in larger numbers.

I am expecting a good turnout now that many of the restrictions have been lifted. Hopefully HM's legs are feeling up for the journey to the Abbey.

I would expect so^^ - I assume having a memorial service at all, never mind at Westminster Abbey, suggested that this was intended to be the "public" service they couldn't have due to Covid at the time. I would expect most Royal Houses from Europe to be represented - especially the "older" generations.

Yes, I am expecting a good turn out from Prince Phillips Greek, Danish, Spanish, and German royal cousins as well as from royals around the Continent. Not only was he related to most of them he knew most of them for all of his time on earth.

I do wonder if perhaps we will see more fellow European royals attending seeing as they did not get to attend the funeral?

I'm pretty sure that we will see many of the older generation attendling like the King and Queen of Norway, Queen Margrethe, Queen Sofia, Princess Beatrix etc.

I'm pretty sure that we will see many of the older generation attendling like the King and Queen of Norway, Queen Margrethe, Queen Sofia, Princess Beatrix etc.

Yes I was thinking the same but I don't think we will see the king of Greece but perhaps the queen might attend.

Will any of Prince Philip's relatives from Germany attend the service?

I am sure they will.

I agree. But as Philip was a consort to a reigning monarch, I would expect the current current European monarchs including W-A & Max, Felipe & Leitizia and Philippe & Mathilde to attend as well.

I wonder if a reception would be held for the European royals either before or after the Service of Thanksgiving? If BP cannot be used because of renovations, perhaps they could have it at St James' Palace or perhaps even Clarence House.

I agree. But as Philip was a consort to a reigning monarch, I would expect the current current European monarchs including W-A & Max, Felipe & Leitizia and Philippe & Mathilde to attend as well.

Could well be. But then at at funeral of GD Jean a former reigning Monarch the King and Queen of Spain and the Netherlands did not attend but were represented through the former reigning monarchs.

And the spanish King and Queen usually have a quiet busy schedule.

Last edited:
I wonder what the dress code will be. If it's a thanksgiving and not a memorial service I suppose it won't be black.

I expect that Queen Margrethe, Queen Sofia, and Queen Anne-Marie will all attend.

I wonder what the dress code will be. If it's a thanksgiving and not a memorial service I suppose it won't be black.

Expect grey, blue and purple, IMO.

Could well be. But then at at funeral of GD Jean a former reigning Monarch the King and Queen of Spain and the Netherlands did not attend but were represented through the former reigning monarchs.

Lets see, we are only a few weeks away.

From Spain, we may see Queen Sofia and one of Felipe or Letizia

Lets see, we are only a few weeks away.

From Spain, we may see Queen Sofia and one of Felipe or Letizia
I think most likely Queen Sofia with perhaps her sister Princess Irene?

I think Prince Albert will come from Monaco but on his own. If he can't I think he might send Caroline.

Would be a bit strange if they would all come in deep black as had died almost a year ago when the Service takes place. My guess is no uniforms perhaps morning suit's for the men but i guess it will probably be normal suits for them.

I think Prince Albert will come from Monaco but on his own. If he can't I think he might send Caroline.

The Princess of Hanover has indeed represented the Principality on behalf of her brother.

My predictions on who will attend:
Spain: Queen Sophia (maybe with her sister)
Sweden: King CG & Queen Silvia (I think already confirmed)
Netherlands: WA & Maxima and Princess Beatrix
Norway: Harold & Sonia (if his health is okay)
Belgium: Albert & Paola and maybe Phillipe & Mathilde
Greece: Queen Anne-Marie
Denmark: Queen Margretha and maybe the CP Couple
Monaco: Prince Albert
And some of his sister's descendants, although I do expect too many of them.

What about the royal families of Luxembourg and Liechtenstein?
I also believe that Serbian and Romanian royal families can participate in the event.

Queen Paola recently fell and suffered injuries so she will not be coming.

I would be very surprised to not see Prince Hans-Adam of Liechtenstein. He lost his beloved life-companion and partner less than a year ago so he can sympathize with the Queen.

Last edited:
I wonder when the time of the service will be announced?

I think it will be Phillipe & Mathilde from Belgium.
I am sure the King and Queen of Jordan will visit as well. I wonder if Japan and Thailand will be represented?

Last edited:

I would expect at least Queen Sofia to attend the service. After all, she is Prince Philip's first cousin once removed.

Back
Top Bottom