King Abdullah & Queen Rania: Current Events Part 22

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
King urges unified Arab stand to relaunch peace offer (jordatimes).

Queen calls for setting quality control criteria for health programmes (jordatimes).

Area architect to design cancer hospital in Jordan

. . . The 300-bed center will be named after Abdullah's father, King Hussein, who succumbed to cancer in 1999. The 600,000-square-foot King Hussein Cancer and Biotechnology Institute will be perched on a hilltop overlooking the Dead Sea.

. . . Abdullah talked about the pain that families go through in watching loved ones battle cancer.

"I know that many of you have sat by the beds of loved ones, or been there for doctors' conferences, or waited for that phone call, that next medical report, or prayed that research would make a breakthrough in time," he said then. "I can only tell you that I know, Rania and I know, the deep emotions of those moments." Link

A really! funny article about the king aka Trekkie

Who is King Abdullah II and why was he in the United States recently?

"King Hussein did not seemingly intend for Trekkie to become king. Hussein didn't declare Trekkie his official heir apparent until just a few days before his death. The first 37 years of his life were spent being a rich, feckless prince with a kick-ass toy collection. Here's how the British celeb magazine Hello! describes him..."

Who is King Abdullah II and why was he in the United States recently?: Don't Panic ... your war questions answered: Don't Panic!: Columns: Creative Loafing Atlanta

This is just another article or anecdote in recent weeks that is kind of making me re-think my original thoughts on Abdullah and Rania. I'm not even Jordanian and it bother's me a little that they own a house in London and that Q. Rania is seen shopping in some well known boutiques around the world. I guess I just think she could ask the question about empowering women to herself. How has she helped empower Jordanian clothing designers? Or is she to busy wearing Prada and Gucci. Hopefully that doesn't seem too harsh, really just calling it like I see it.

How many Jordanian clothing designers do you think there are exactly? It's a country of only 5m people, and I think there is only one arts/design school. She wears Jordanian clothing where appropriate.

kaffir said:
How many Jordanian clothing designers do you think there are exactly? It's a country of only 5m people, and I think there is only one arts/design school. She wears Jordanian clothing where appropriate.

It was just an example that came to mind. Not a good example but no need to really focus on it. I'm sure however, there are struggling designers or people that want to go in that direction in Jordan. My main point is that we see Rania trying to keep up with the Jones' so to speak. Wearing Prada and Gucci and talking about her handbags in magazines. Is that really empowering to women? Seems a little materialistic to me at times.:sad:

Please consult Queen Rania's fashion and jewellery threads for information on which Jordanian designers she uses. Different articles deal with different subject matter; magazine articles devoted to her style in particular can be found in the fashion forum as well. For articles, interviews with more substance (everything from mideast peace, women's & children's rights and issues etc) search through the various current events thread and Queen Rania & King Abdullah: Interviews, Speeches, or threads devoted to specific events like the World Economic forum, conference of Nobel Laureates etc.

Last edited:
Very interesting Aurora810. In some ways I do agree with you. She does try to help her people, but she also tries to "keep up with the Jones" as you put it. That spread in Elle (I think) was a little too much for me. It was like "look at me look at me I'm so beautiful and I'm in a magazine just like a model--what I've always wanted."

Aurora810 said:
It was just an example that came to mind. Not a good example but no need to really focus on it. I'm sure however, there are struggling designers or people that want to go in that direction in Jordan. My main point is that we see Rania trying to keep up with the Jones' so to speak. Wearing Prada and Gucci and talking about her handbags in magazines. Is that really empowering to women? Seems a little materialistic to me at times.:sad:

Whoa--does it look like KA has put on some serious weight lately?

Aurora810 said:
Ah, I see your point now.

Last edited:
Terror victims' kin thank king for help

. . . "We just wanted to tell him thank you for everything he did for our family," Jadalhack said. "We knew even if we did get to meet him our time would be short, because he is the king after all, but we were happy for every second." On Nov. 9, 2005, Saleh's sister, Nariman, her brother-in-law, Ariff, and her niece, Bensiana, were killed in a terrorist attack in Amman, Jordan. Link

Queen Rania launches center for care of work animals

Amman, March 19, (Petra) Her Majesty Queen Rania Al-Abdullah launched the Garden Sanctuary for Animal Welfare Center, Monday, where free medical services for animal care will be offered to farmers and villagers who depend on animals for their livelihood, for the first time in the Kingdom.

The hospital, which is co-funded by the World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA) and the Jordanian government, will provide free services for work animals. There are currently over 45,000 families in Jordan who depend on animal labor for income, either as a means of transportation, to plough, or as food sources.

Queen Rania, who in February 2006 laid the center's foundation stone, toured the facility with Her Royal Highness Princess Alia Al-Hussein, Monday. Petra

Jordan's king urges US, EU to "adopt" Arab peace plan

Amman - After conferring with the Arab League Secretary General Amr Musa King Abdullah II of Jordan Tuesday urged the United States and European Union to 'adopt' the Arab Peace Initiative as a basis for relaunching negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians, according to an official statement. link

Last edited:
Aurora810 said:
This is just another article or anecdote in recent weeks that is kind of making me re-think my original thoughts on Abdullah and Rania. I'm not even Jordanian and it bother's me a little that they own a house in London and that Q. Rania is seen shopping in some well known boutiques around the world. I guess I just think she could ask the question about empowering women to herself. How has she helped empower Jordanian clothing designers? Or is she to busy wearing Prada and Gucci. Hopefully that doesn't seem too harsh, really just calling it like I see it.

It is all about playing the game of the media, the media is always going to point out on what is a hot ticket to sell, look at the story of Anna Nichole Smith, in which she had to no talent yet, she was scandelous. I look at it this way, everyone has their opinion and is entitled to it, but don't believe everything you read, and with the Elle magazine if it granted her exposure for Jordan and herself good, it in the long run ends up being income coming into the country as tourism starts to come in. Is not like most tourist want to visit the Middle East with all of the news being reported.

In my opinion, if the man is working hard, in which he has been doing, why not have him treat himself, the same goes with the Queen, she does a lot of things that we take fro granted, plus she is a mother, wife, and a working woman who represents the government and the country. That is more that many of us do, in our lifetime.

Jordan's Queen Rania celebrates Mother's Day with children and their mothers from the Hai Nazal area in Amman March 21, 2007.

Pictures from Reuters via Yahoo!News and more pictures from PPE.

Last edited:
asturiana said:
Jordan's Queen Rania celebrates Mother's Day with children and their mothers from the Hai Nazal area in Amman March 21, 2007.

Pictures from Reuters via Yahoo!News and more pictures from PPE.
Good work ....:)

Love the mother's day pictures. I wonder how Queen Rania marks the day with her own kids.
In the last picture from PPE, Rania appears to be reading the card the children made for her.

Queen Rania joins children and mothers of Hai Nazal to celebrate Mother's Day

Amman , March 21, (Petra) Amidst crayons, and cutouts, Her Majesty Queen Rania Al-Abdullah joined children and their mothers from Hai Nazal, Wednesday, to celebrate Mother's Day.

Over 200 children were gathered at the Community Center Association (CCA), preparing greeting cards and other handicrafts for their mothers, when Queen Rania joined them. The children, already excited as they were participating in the day's events at the center, welcomed the Queen enthusiastically by tossing balloons and confetti as she walked in.

When they first learned that the Queen would be visiting the center, the children prepared a greeting card, which they signed and presented to Her Majesty upon her arrival. Petra

King Patronizes Ceremony on the Anniversary of Al Karamah Battle
Image Gallery - Click Here

King, Saudi Monarch discuss Arab summit agenda, situation in region

Riyadh, March 21, (Petra) His Majesty King Abdullah II and King Abdullah Bin Abdel Aziz of Saudi Arabia opened talks on Wednesday on issues related to Arab summit in Riyadh next week, development of events in the region and bilateral relations. Petra

Pictures from Petra:
Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3

Last edited:
Does Q Ranis has her own salary from the gaverment???

Do you think that Q Raniahas obsession about her appearance!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
LeoMama said:
Do you think that Q Raniahas obsession about her appearance!!!
I thought That I am the only who notice that I have the feelling somtimes that she cares more about her appearance and being in the news more than her work.

I'd say that it's a combination of both. It seems that she LOVES the camera very much and loves the power that it gives her--here we are all talking about her because we always see her pictures. But she does do a good job too in bringing awareness to certain issues. I also read a long time ago that when she was a college student she wanted to model. I guess she got that in folds. If she were a model with all the media she gets she's be a super model hehehe. I'm surprised that the American media isn't that interested in her. Apart from scheduled air time she doesn't get that much coverage? I wonder why?

shrifia said:
I thought That I am the only who notice that I have the feelling somtimes that she cares more about her appearance and being in the news more than her work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom