King Abdullah & Queen Rania: Current Events Part 22

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Photos from Reuters and AP via Yahoo of their arrival at the White House for dinner with President Bush and his wife.

King Meets Bush</STRONG>
Washington, March 7(Petra)—His Majesty King Abdullah II affirmed the importance of American commitment
News

Thanks for posting those pix--was it raining or something? QR and LB both look older/fuzzy.

I'm watching it right now. Rania is there too. He got such a warm welcome.

barbara_41172 said:
Hi guys,

as some of you know, King Abdullah will address the US Congress this Wednesday 7th of March. For those living in north America, don't forget to watch C-Span 1:

[FONT=arial, helvetica]10:45 AM EST[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]0:45 (est.)[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica] [FONT=arial, helvetica]LIVE[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]Joint Meeting[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]King of Jordan Address
U.S. House of Representatives
[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]Abdullah II [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica], Jordan [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]The beginning and end of this live program may be earlier or later than the scheduled times.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

http://inside.c-spanarchives.org:8080/cspan/fullschedule.csp?timeid=212040000817

Love
Barbara

Does somebody know if we can watch king abdullah on internet? If there's a video of his speech?

Queen Rania al Abdullah applauds during King Abdullah II of Jordan, speech to a joint meeting of Congress in the House Chamber of the US Capitol in Washington, DC Wednesday 07 March 2007

ANP Beeldbank

I know, incredibly warm welcome! It was a powerful and moving speech. Let's hope this year is THE year for peace in the Middle East. It is so needed.

Love
Barbara

niki said:
He got such a warm welcome.

For those who miss the speech and would like to see it, C-Span has it in the front portal of the page, you can see it through real player! It was an amazing speech, I have been a fan of him since his enthronement in 1999. Hopefully, there will be peace in the middle east. Enjoy the Speech!

C-SPAN

Last edited by a moderator:
polysciir said:
For those who miss the speech and would like to see it, C-Span has it in the front portal of the page, you can see it through real player! It was an amazing speech, I have been a fan of him since his enthronement in 1999. Hopefully, there will be peace in the middle east, and that the Palestinians get their own state. Enjoy the Speech! C-SPAN
Thank you :flowers: .
Picture (ANP): the women sitting next to QR is the bride, who her family got killed in Terrorist Attacks in Amman... :rolleyes: .

Petra pictures:
Gallery 1
Gallery2

Yes Asturiana and I think that the other women is Princess Sarah.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures. Who exactly is Princess Sarah?

It's an imotional speech, ya, but it's not in his hands really, it's in USA's+..

Little_star said:
Who exactly is Princess Sarah?

The wife of Prince Zeid bin Ra'ad, Jordan's new ambassador to the US

I think that Rania is a beautiful woman with wonderful tastes in clothes, IMO though I do think she needs to cut her hair a little.

Veram98 said:
The wife of Prince Zeid bin Ra'ad, Jordan's new ambassador to the US
Oh right, of course, I hadn't heard of his wife before. Thanks!

Here here!!! I second that, but I think she needs to cut a lot of her hair off. She'd look a lot more elegant.

princess gertrude said:
IMO though I do think she needs to cut her hair a little.

Why on earth did they take Nadia el Alami and her husband with them? Ah , come on for God's sake their weren't the only ones to be affected by the attacks!
I think with all respect that's a bit too much, they are with them most of the time!

I missed the speech, and the c-SPAN thingy won't work... do you know if there will be re-run or something?maybe on some other channels?

lil Monkey said:
Why on earth did they take Nadia el Alami and her husband with them? Ah , come on for God's sake their weren't the only ones to be affected by the attacks!
I think with all respect that's a bit too much, they are with them most of the time!

I missed the speech, and the c-SPAN thingy won't work... do you know if there will be re-run or something?maybe on some other channels?

They represent those affected by the problems/bombings, and if losing your dad, your new spouses dad, and a portion of your wedding party at your wedding reception doesn't qualify to represent those affected, I'm not sure what would. It helps to have a recognizable face or faces so people recall the bombing instead of wondering who is sitting next to the Queen. My guess would be that it would have an impact on the American policy makers you were trying to get to work on your cause by introducing them to those affected. It makes much more of an impact on those in power to introduce a couple who lost parents on their wedding day due to the bombing versus just telling them a story. Personally, I thought it was a rather savvy display of understanding how American politicans work and use of that knowledge.

As for C-SPAN, they do reshow things, but it's usually at odd hours in the morning like 2 or 3AM

lil Monkey said:
If they didn't want to go they could have declined. Considering the fact it was their wedding that was bombed I would say they were quite strongly affected.......

lil monkey said:
Petra has it
Daily News

The woman next to Princess Sarah is Talat Hamdani, an American of Pakistani origin. I first found out about her story a few years ago, it was featured on a documentary called "Its my country too" (about the lives of Muslim Americans since 9/11) by Salman Ahmed (of the Pakistani band Junoon). It was so touching. On the day of the attacks, Talat's son left home but never showed up at work. The authorities questioned his family (believing him to be a suspect/terrorist). They eventually found out that he died in the attacks. The USA Patriot Act hailed him as a "hero," he died trying to help those around him.
Talat represents the Muslims who lost their loved ones during the September 11 attacks, just like the bride and groom represent the victims of the Amman bombings. I thought including these people was a very symbolic and touching gesture, their stories are being repeated in the media, they represent the fact that Muslims, as much as anyone else, the Americans, the western world, are victims of terrorism.

More on Talat Hamdani and her reaction to King Abdullah's speech:

King cites LI families in speech about post-9/11 policy

WASHINGTON -- The king of Jordan recognized two Long Island families who lost sons on Sept. 11, 2001 in a speech to a joint session of Congress in which he urged the United States to lead a Middle East process that would ensure American and Jordanian victims of terrorism had not died for nothing.

. . . Talat Hamdani's son, Mohammed Salman Hamdani, 23, was a medical technician who apparently rushed to the site after hearing of the attacks. The Hamdani family came to the United States from Pakistan when Salman was a baby. Newsday

An older article from Newsweek about Talat's story and one from the BBC

Last edited:
I watched his speech to the Congress and was so impressed. He and Rania are a great royal couple it seems to me- both intelligent. It is great to see a monarch doing sensible stuff for a change.

the family pic is very nice and rania is so beautiful. the three looks very happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom