British State visit to France [postponed] & Germany, 26-31 March 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cant see waht the problem is. Charles is not a young man nad Im sure he does not mind a shorter less expensive state visit.

There's no problem. The so called " return banquet snub" came from nowhere.

well like everyting to do with ROyal life, things are slimmed down, year by year. The Coronation will be shorter and simpler and less expensive than Eliz's coronation. THe state visits will be shorter and cost less, and Im sure that Charles will be relieved not ot have long drawn out tiring visits to make.

It is a spiteful development because what is wrong to see a ballet in the Palais Garnier, or attending music by Lully and fireworks in the park of Versailles, watch the races in Longchamp or Chantilly, or have a return banquet in the Athenée? When a State Visit has to be "efficient": scrap that whole tralala and do it with a meeting via Teams or Zoom.

It could have something to do with the French rioting in the streets, setting buildings alight and fighting with the gendarmes.....or maybe they just didnt want to.

State visits always have quite a few engagements - and if they cannot handle it in two days (which I doubt: Charles has been busy his whole life), they can come for three. It shouldn't be too hard to organize a return event if all other countries seem to be able to... Not enought time is not a valid excuse imho; they have a team to prepare and it is possible to find time in the schedule if you want to. Moreover, it is just a common courtesy to thank your host; and during a state visit a 'return event' is the way to do so. Hopefully in future state visits they correct this mistake and don't behave as if they are 'above' their hosts.

Why is this a mistake that requires correcting. Could it not have been a mutually agreed decision.

What evidence have you that the BRF are behaving as if they are above their hosts, what a strange comment to make. Also a comment with no basis of evidence.

Why is this a mistake that requires correcting. Could it not have been a mutually agreed decision.

What evidence have you that the BRF are behaving as if they are above their hosts, what a strange comment to make. Also a comment with no basis of evidence.

We haven't seen many return banquets in London in the last 15-20 years. Obama and Trump both hosted return banquets, HM did not attend the Trump return banquet but C&C did.

Honestly how long before state visits are just takeaways food? ?

It could have something to do with the French rioting in the streets, setting buildings alight and fighting with the gendarmes.....or maybe they just didnt want to.

No because there is no rioting in Berlin, Hamburg, Munich, Cologne, Leipzig, Hannover but Their Majesties were apparently in such a hurry that the return event to say thanks to the hosts (and en passant a perfect opportunity to showcase Britain and work on understanding, friendship and Soft Power) simply was omitted.

When even the US Presidents, with an overload in agendas, organize a return event (Mr Trump did host a banquet at the residence of the US Ambassador, his predecessor Mr Obama did the same).

It is just remarkable that the most important partners in Europe are done in a hurry: "Goodbyeeeeee!" and there went Speedy Gonzalez and his spouse.

Last edited:
No because there is no rioting in Berlin, Hamburg, Munich, Cologne, Leipzig, Hannover but Their Majesties were apparently in such a hurry that the return event to say thanks to the hosts (and en passant a perfect opportunity to showcase Britain and work on understanding, friendship and Soft Power) simply was omitted.

When even the US Presidents, with an overload in agendas, organize a return event (Mr Trump did host a banquet at the residence of the US Ambassador, his predecessor Mr Obama did the same).

It is just remarkable that the most important partners in Europe are done in a hurry: "Goodbyeeeeee!" and there went Speedy Gonzalez and his spouse.

I wouldn't worry about it as nobody else appears to be bothered, the people of Germany appear to have been delighted that the King delivered part of his speech in their mother tongue and the Queen wore the Prince Albert brooch.

Why get worked up about something that is out of your control,

I wonder if the same energy excusing the no return event during this state visit would be employed if the same had happened during a state visit to the UK. Because, you know, the BRF expect deference and reverence be accorded to them, but they usually don't make the effort to exert the same in return. Gives off an air of entitled superiority.

And those using their ages as an excuse, Queen Margrethe of Denmark was 81 when she made a state visit to Germany in 2021 and still had time for return banquet.

The state visit seems to have been very successful and to have been well received by the media in both countries.

The state visit seems to have been very successful and to have been well received by the media in both countries.

I agree.

I don't quite get the criticism of the lack of a return banquet. It is clear that the "standard" format of the state visit has evolved, with the focus on outreach and meeting people across all walks of life as opposed to big, set piece banquets. There have been few return banquets in the last 2 decades. For example, barring the Americans, there have hardly been any return banquets in London in the last 20 years.

I don't mind at all.

well I can only suggest that those who dont mind paying for extravagances like a fancy state visit should pool togeher and pay for them, as the public in general certainly dont want to.

Yes I have seen that, but I understood this was the traditional reception for the compatriots in the country the royals are visiting. In all State Visits, by Sweden, by Norway, by Spain, by the Netherlands etc. there is always a reception with their respective communities, usually on the second or third day of a State Visit.

My impression of that event in Hamburg was exactly the King and Queen Camilla meeting British compatriots whom have made a living or are entrepreneurs in Germany.

I have not understood this was a return event to their German hosts which usually is a banquet, or a concert, or a ballet, or a theatre performance, on a representative location, packing out with all glanz und gloria.

No return banquet at the state visit by France to the Netherlands next week.

** royal-house.nl: State visit by the President of France – program *

Last edited:
The State Visit to France is apparently rescheduled to the second half of september. New dates will be known in June.

The State Visit to France is apparently rescheduled to the second half of september. New dates will be known in June.

A nice time of the year for a State Visit.

Given the political climate in France, I wouldn’t be surprised if they delayed announcing the state visit.

I'm hoping that they will be able to complete the State Visit to France.

The reschedueled state visit to France can be found in a new thread, which you can find here.

Back
Top Bottom