British State Visit to France, 20-22 Sep 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nico

Heir Apparent
City
Paris
Country
France
The State visit to France is confirmed for september. The dates will be known in due course.

The State visit to France is confirmed for september. The dates will be known in due course.

Has it been confirmed by BP, or is this speculation?

Not confirmed by BP....yet. I've seen a lot of commentary on social media by those usually in the know so suspect a confirmation will come soon from BP. But anything is possible.

I have seen the dates as the 23rd-24th September (a weekend) and the same weekend the Pope is due in France as well as during the Rugby World Cup.

I have also seen that there are planned protests for the 23rd by the same group/s that were leading the protests the led to the cancellation earlier in the year.

These may simply be 'rumours' of course as I would expect Macron to be hosting the Pope if he is visiting so wonder how he would be visiting two Heads of State at the same time.

Only "september" was confirmed by the Elysee Palace, pointing out that the Bordeaux visit is still on the tracks.

The Pope Visit is not a State one and a meeting with President Macron is already scheduled for the 23 ( in Marseilles).

The same day some protests are indeed planned in Paris , but are "usual" at this time of the year.

If the Versailles dinner is still on ( and apparently so), it can be only on mondays (weekly closing day of the Versailles estate).

More informations will come in few weeks, as the whole country is basically on vacations right now.

I suspect no official announcement will be made until September when France returns back to work after le-holiday.

A state visit commencing over a weekend is not normal, but it is entirely possible it had to be scheduled so, just to accomodate diaries.

Great news and looking forward to the rescheduled State Visit to France.

The details of the program will come shortly. For now a State Dinner at Versailles (scheduled back in march) seems unlikely.

For now a State Dinner at Versailles (scheduled back in march) seems unlikely.

Difficult to tell. Lets see when the final schedule is published.

Difficult to tell. Lets see when the final schedule is published.

As State events can only be held at Versailles on mondays (closind day), i would be very suprised to see a State Dinner in the Hall of Mirrors ( as planned in march), impliying to close the whole estate to the general public. As we speak Versailles tickets for the 20th are still on sale.

Wait and see indeed.

Will be interesting to see where the state dinner is held but a number of sources are saying the itinerary will be "largely the same as planned".

I think Versailles is unlucky and would be a terrible location for a royal state dinner.

I think Versailles is unlucky and would be a terrible location for a royal state dinner.

Versailles was the usual location for State Dinners from the 60's to the 80's. Président Macron is very fond of the palace and already held several dinners here. As i said the British state banquet had to be given there last march.

Last edited:
Grand Trianon (in the Versailles Garden) has been the place for several State visit receptions and dinners - but if i understood the march-plans correctly, the dinner was planned for the main castle and not Grand Trianon ?

Perhaps the dinner has been moved to Grand Trianon or to the Elysee Palace this time to avoid having to close Versailles for the UK State Visit wich would be a highly controversial move in a republic

Grand Trianon (in the Versailles Garden) has been the place for several State visit receptions and dinners - but if i understood the march-plans correctly, the dinner was planned for the main castle and not Grand Trianon ?

Perhaps the dinner has been moved to Grand Trianon or to the Elysee Palace this time to avoid having to close Versailles for the UK State Visit wich would be a highly controversial move in a republic

The dinner had to be held in the Hall of Mirrors, not less, in the main building.

The Grand Trianon is unavailable due to retoration work.

The Elysee Palace seems, indeed, the best option ( the last State dinner for the Indian PM was held at the Louvre though).

The dinner had to be held in the Hall of Mirrors, not less, in the main building.

The Grand Trianon is unavailable due to retoration work.

The Elysee Palace seems, indeed, the best option ( the last State dinner for the Indian PM was held at the Louvre though).

Amazing if the French state is not able to host a dinner at Versailles because of security concerns, if that was indeed their intention.

I'm hoping for Camilla receiving the Legion of Honour in a female version, wide.

Didn’t King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola attend a state dinner at Versailles once? I don’t think there has ever been a state dinner in honor of a British monarch there though.

I'm hoping for Camilla receiving the Legion of Honour in a female version, wide.

Agreed. It wold be great of the Queen received it and wore the sash for the state dinner.

Amazing if the French state is not able to host a dinner at Versailles because of security concerns, if that was indeed their intention.

The problems are more about logistic than security : on a closing day ( monday) it's far more easier to set up the table, the various reception rooms etc as some of the work can be done the previous week-end.

On Wednesdays the main castle must be closed for such preparations, with very much outcry from the tourists etc.

Didn’t King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola attend a state dinner at Versailles once? I don’t think there has ever been a state dinner in honor of a British monarch there though.

Queen Victoria was hosted by Napoleon III at Versailles for a dinner and a ball in 1855.

A State lunch was given to George VI and Queen Elizabeth in 1938. Same for QE II in 1957.

A State Dinner for QE II was held at the Grand Trianon in 1972.

Baudoin and Fabiola, King Frederik and Queen Ingrid, Queen Juliana, King Hussein, King Fuad, King Carl Gustav etc were all hosted at Versailles.

Last edited:
The problems are more about logistic than security : on a closing day ( monday) it's far more easier to set up the table, the various reception rooms etc as some of the work can be done the previous week-end.

On Wednesdays the main castle must be closed for such preparations, with very much outcry from the tourists etc.

The proposed dinner is in late September, the French students will be back at school, and families back at work. I suspect most tourists will be foreign. If the government wanted ot shut the building down for a day, it oeuld not be the end of the world.

There will be some comments like " Macron is stealing Versailles from the people". Of course we'll see but i guess Versailles will be out of the picture for this visit.

The proposed dinner is in late September, the French students will be back at school, and families back at work. I suspect most tourists will be foreign. If the government wanted ot shut the building down for a day, it oeuld not be the end of the world.

There will be some comments like " Macron is stealing Versailles from the people". Of course we'll see but i guess Versailles will be out of the picture for this visit.

You can still buy tickets for Versailles for every day of the state visit. I'm sure therefore if the dinner is going to be there the French gov are sure they can manage it within the time / logistics available. Or it will simply be hosted somewhere else.

The Legion of Honour should be 10 cm wide for men and 6 cm wide for women. I'm using like example the Order of Elephant

Back
Top Bottom