State visit from Spain to the Netherlands: 16-18 April, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The two kings seem to have a warm relationship indeed. Of course they have known each other for most of their lives. As for the Queens: it does not seem to be a natural match, they have very different personalities of course. Royalty reporter Jeroen Snel also noted that and commented upon it on RTL Boulevard, though indeed they are both professional enough to behave cordially.

The two kings seem to have a warm relationship indeed. Of course they have known each other for most of their lives. As for the Queens: it does not seem to be a natural match, they have very different personalities of course. Royalty reporter Jeroen Snel also noted that and commented upon it on RTL Boulevard, though indeed they are both professional enough to behave cordially.
The 2 kings were busy with joint engagements on both days, the 2 queens really only on day 2 and then the Spanish departed last night.
The Spanish queen had a rather light agenda for a State Visit.

Indeed, the result I imagine was what perhaps the intention of the courts was: lots of media attending the events of the two Kings. Otherwise I imagine most photographers would have picked an event of the two Queens, which would take the focus away from some of the activities of Felipe and WA.

Indeed, the result I imagine was what the intention of the courts was: lots of media attending the events of the two Kings. Otherwise I imagine most photographers would have picked an event of the two Queens, which will be more interesting to them.
I liked that Princess Margriet was invited to both events ,I didn't spot her husband?

The Spanish announcement said he would attend the banquet. The Dutch one did not. Perhaps something came up. He did arrive with his wife at the return event, though they did not pose for photos with the other royals.

In total 6 Dutch royals participated so not a bad score. Still a pity Constantijn and Laurentien did not attend anything. If they do not come to the palace for the King of Spain, I imagine they will not attend any state banquet in the future either. I imagine Alexia will go the same route as her uncle and will be absent from such events too. In the future we will perhaps only see the monarchs, the former monarch (and spouse) and the heir (plus spouse).

Last edited:
Yes I suspect we won't see Constantijn and Laurentien at these events going forward.
6 members of the Dutch RF is a far better Family count that the bickering Belgian RF across the border;)

Sad to see that the pain is so much that Letizia has to sit down a la Queen Margrethe at a SV. She has a few more decades to go as Queen and for her work life feet are essential, travels and stands a lot. I hope they find a better solution than sitting down going forward.
I found the official picture a bit unfortunate with the young Queens sitting (for health reasons obviously in L's case) but still the old queen Beatrix standing in the back holding on to Maxima's chair. At least for the official picture Letizia could have stood up as she did later during the banquet. I understand sitting down shaking all those hands but the picture looks very odd.

The former Queen Beatriz could not be placed seated in the forefront with the four current monarchs. I assume this was an official photo to showcase the rulers of two countries and not a more relaxed family photo where seniors would be seated or mixed up alongside the royal couple.

It probably took a minute to set up and take the picture, I'm sure Beatrix was fine and had she not abdicated she would be seated alone next to Felipe and Letizia with W and M standing up behind her.

Re Letizia looking odd seated on a chair while being greeted, she had to be in a lot of pain for them to get her a chair or maybe convince her to sit down on one. Here in the USA, in my old office we call this 'accommodations' for people with a disability or physical problem to help them be able to perform the same duty as others around without being left out.

Question re event guest list:
Was Queen Beatriz' nephew, Prince Carlos, Duke of Parma, invited on that list if it's available online? He is part of the rival male-line only Carlist House that keeps the idea they are the legitimate heirs of Spain vs descendants of Queen Isabel II. He keeps low key when he is asked about the current kings, but it would have been a nice touch to be with his cousin Felipe and just get over it for good.

I think Constantijn and Laurentien's absence was to make way for Amalia's, Princess Beatrix, and Princess Margriet's presnce. I suppose/hope things wil go back to normal after this.

Queen Letizia's rather light agenda has been commented on. Is it perhaps because of her podiatry issues (thanks Lula!)? I am baffled as to why she would continue to wear heels of any sort with such issues. Or perhaps there are other issues at play?

At the state banquet there was a rather dashing hispanic looking gentleman that sat to Queen Máxima's right, who is he? Also who is the brunette lady with the blue sash that sat next to Queen Letizia?

I think Constantijn and Laurentien's absence was to make way for Amalia's, Princess Beatrix, and Princess Margriet's presnce. I suppose/hope things wil go back to normal after this.
I'd imagine so long as Beatrix and Margriet are still able to attend they will and I think the Princess of Orange will start to attend State Visits more and more going forward.

At the state banquet there was a rather dashing hispanic looking gentleman that sat to Queen Máxima's right, who is he? Also who is the brunette lady with the blue sash that sat next to Queen Letizia?

I think you may mean the minister for Climate and Energy, Rob Jetten. He was seated next to Queen Máxima. PM Rutte had to be in Brussels and did not attend. As vice-prime minister Jetten covered for him. Queen Letizia was seated next to the minister of Foreign Affairs, Mrs. Hanke Bruins Slot. Before her political carreer she used to be in the military.

I'd imagine so long as Beatrix and Margriet are still able to attend they will and I think the Princess of Orange will start to attend State Visits more and more going forward.
I could imagine that this time was an exception for the Princess of Orange because of her stay in Madrid and the help of the spanish RF. So not sure if she will attend every State Banquet from now on as much as i would wish that.

I could imagine that this time was an exception for the Princess of Orange because of her stay in Madrid and the help of the spanish RF. So not sure if she will attend every State Banquet from now on as much as i would wish that.
I think she will participate in state visits from other monarchies, mainly.

Queen Letizia's rather light agenda has been commented on. Is it perhaps because of her podiatry issues (thanks Lula!)? I am baffled as to why she would continue to wear heels of any sort with such issues. Or perhaps there are other issues at play?
She maintains her more institutional events with the king (next week she will attend 3), but in recent weeks she has had fewer events on the topics she works on alone... probably in part because of her foot problem, but also because the current boss of her secretary will be replaced on April 30, so it is likely that they will be more busy with office issues to prepare the replacement.

I didn't mean right away but going forward in time ;)

Question re event guest list:
Was Queen Beatriz' nephew, Prince Carlos, Duke of Parma, invited on that list if it's available online? He is part of the rival male-line only Carlist House that keeps the idea they are the legitimate heirs of Spain vs descendants of Queen Isabel II. He keeps low key when he is asked about the current kings, but it would have been a nice touch to be with his cousin Felipe and just get over it for good.
Interesting observation! I don´t think he did attend the banquet. I imagine photographers would have noticed him if he did. Normally it would have been a nice courtesy to invite another Bourbon relative, though considering the Duke´s claims perhaps the more diplomatic approach was not to invite him.

Carlos was in Rome on the 15th and 16th, so not sure if he was back on the 17th.

King Willem-Alexander has given Queen Letizia the Order of the Golden Lion of Nassau, something that does not conform to custom because the normal thing is that she would have received the Order of the Netherlands Lion. At the moment there is no explanation for this gesture, which has very few precedents.

My question is... what will happen when Queen Letizia travels to Luxembourg? Can she receive the same order from the Grand Duke? Or will Luxembourg have to find another solution?

Sha cannot receive the same order twice. She could either wear this one or receive a higher/different order.

I think you may mean the minister for Climate and Energy, Rob Jetten. He was seated next to Queen Máxima. PM Rutte had to be in Brussels and did not attend. As vice-prime minister Jetten covered for him. Queen Letizia was seated next to the minister of Foreign Affairs, Mrs. Hanke Bruins Slot. Before her political carreer she used to be in the military.
Thank you for the identifications. The Deputy minister is quite handsome! It always interesting see ministers in orders. It is usally one-time order that they will likely never wear again. For ex. Mrs. Hanke Bruins Slot was granted the Order of Civil Merit. Should she for ex. becmme Prime Minister and another state visit (unlikely I know) were to occur during this time. Would she receive a higher order- say Isabella the Catholic?

yes, somehow the connection with Maxima was not as expected given the background of the language and the private help with Amalia. Maxima is usually very warm and emotional but seemed quite restrained, perhaps because Letizia was visibly unwell due to foot pain or other issues.

When Juliana Awada was Argentina's First Lady she got along famously well with both Queens Letizia and Máxima.
With Queen Letizia I have never seen her exude so much warmth and friendliness in public. Letizia has known royal women like Máxima and Mary for her entire royal life and I have never seen such natural affection and warmth as I saw displayed with Juliana Awada.
For reference see pics:

Likewise, it was the same thing with Queen Máxima. She and Juliana Awada got along like they were long time best friends.

I say all this to say that is quite baffling that the 2 Queens don't seem to get along as warmly given that they have soooooo much in common. Even their husbands seem to have much warmth and affection for each other.

Back
Top Bottom