Introductory/State Visits to Sweden, Norway, Faroe Islands & Greenland: May-July 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany
Introductory/State Visits to Sweden, Norway, Faroe Islands & Greenland: May-July 2024

King Frederik X and Queen Mary will pay introductory (state) visits to Sweden, Norway, The Faroe Islands and Greenland in 2024.

The first dates have been released today:

The first state visits will provide the occasion for the new King and Queen to meet with the sovereigns in Sweden and Norway, and they will thus mark the close relations between the Nordic monarchies.

In June, the Royal Yacht Dannebrog will sail north on a cruise of the Realm. The King and The Queen will visit the Faroe Islands in mid-June, and then Greenland in late June and early July.

The King and The Queen’s trips in early summer 2024:

State visit to Sweden 6 – 7 May
State visit to Norway 14 – 15 May
Official visit to the Faroe Islands 11 – 14 June (tentative)
Official visit to Greenland 29 June – 8 July (tentative)

** kongehuset: The King and The Queen to visit Sweden, Norway, The Faroe Islands and Greenland **

The thread for the state visit to Sweden can be found here:

** Danish State Visit to Sweden: May 6 - 7, 2024 **

The thread for the state visit to Norway can be found here:

** Danish State Visit to Norway: May 14 - 15, 2024 **

The visits to the Faroe Islands and Greenland as well as further general information can be posted here.​

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs!

· Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
· We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons in these threads with respect.
· Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
· Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
· Please be careful not to write in capital letters.

:flowers: Happy Posting! :flowers:

Last edited:
Ooh! Time to guess what tiaras Mary will wear for these trips. I don't think she can take the emeralds out of Denmark, so I'm going with the Pearl Poire parure for both visits.

It's no doubt good politics to visit Greenland and the Faeroe Islands ASAP.

The visit to Greenland is in the school summer holidays and considering the length of the visit it i IMO more than likely the children will accompany them.

Using Dannebrog as a residence will put as little strain, so to speak, on the hosts in Norway and Scandinavia as possible. No accommodation needed = less expenses. And they can no doubt quickly find something FX&QM can visit with Victoria and Daniel and Haakon and... Ingrid perhaps? If it's too strenuous for Mette Marit and Ingrid could use the training anyway.

Very exciting!
Love that they will be taking the Dannebrog to Sweden and Norway, what a sight!

Christian's graduation will be on June 28, one day before the visit to Greenland on the 29th.
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...ronprins-christian-kan-lige-naa-et-brag-af-en

In that case it might be doubtful Christian will go.
I can't imagine he will willingly give up the opportunity to party at the graduation parties, not to mention the traditional ride from home to home of his classmates.
The Greenlanders would be delighted to celebrate him though.

It'd be a shame for Christian to miss his graduation events, so maybe he'll stay at home. I love that they're taking the yacht.

Why not Finland and Iceland?

Very exciting!
Love that they will be taking the Dannebrog to Sweden and Norway, what a sight!

Christian's graduation will be on June 28, one day before the visit to Greenland on the 29th.
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...ronprins-christian-kan-lige-naa-et-brag-af-en

It is indeed a spectacular sight to see ”Dannebrog” sailing through the Stockholm Archipelago, and doing the final stretch to central Stockholm… Hopefully the Swedish Royal Barge ”Vasaorden” will go and pick them up then and bring the King and Queen to shore, like in the good old days ?

Unlikely that Christian will accompany them to Greenland then… Then Dannebrog will likely sail to Greenland without royals onboard, while the King and Queen and eventual accompanying children, will fly to Greenland, and go onboard at Dannebrog for the final stretch

In that case it might be doubtful Christian will go.
I can't imagine he will willingly give up the opportunity to party at the graduation parties, not to mention the traditional ride from home to home of his classmates.
The Greenlanders would be delighted to celebrate him though.

Since it appears that the trip to Greenland it quite lengthy, maybe Christian can join a few days after his graduation for the last part of the trip. That gives him the opportunity to celebrate his graduation and still take part in a portion of the visit to Greenland. I wonder if the other kids will join their parents though.

Why not Finland and Iceland?

Well, they have to start somewhere. And Norway and Sweden are both monarchies, because it's not only a practice run from FX&QM, but in particular for their staff. They will gain a lot of experience in running a state visit with all the royal bling-bling and ceremonies.
I think it's likely that Iceland and Finland will be among the first for incoming state visits.

But they should pay a State Visit for their all neighbors

They surely will but there is hopefully plenty of time left in Frederik's reign to do so. Not all visits need to take place before the summer. Queen Margrethe only visited her neighbors in 1973 (also first monarchies before she went to Iceland and Finland), while she ascended the throne on 14 January 1972. So, Frederik and Mary are much quicker in starting their state visits to their Nordic neighbors.

With the celebratory nature of the abdication, and no period of mourning, I'm pleased at how quickly they were able to arrange these state visits and tours. They will most certainly visit Iceland and Finland soon but they do not have the same tradition, and familial closeness, as Sweden and Norway.

Finland is in the midst of electing a new president and Iceland will be doing the same on June 1st. I expect once the new presidents are in place planning for the state visits will go ahead

As both countries will get new Presisents this year the will come later into office then King Frederik. So I would think that first the New Presidents will make State Visits to Denmark

Last edited:
Very much looking forward to these State Visits!

I have been wondering about what, if any, exchange of orders there will be. I assume Mary will get upgraded to the Order of the Seraphim, right? Frederik already has that order. I am not as well-versed in orders as many on this forum, so please excuse any dumb assumptions or questions. Is there a collar for the Order of the Seraphim that Frederik could receive? What about vice versa - what orders on Members of the SRF could they receive from the new monarch?

The same for Norway - both Mary and Frederik have the highest order already. Haakon and MM have the Order of the Elephant already.

Very much looking forward to these State Visits!

I have been wondering about what, if any, exchange of orders there will be. I assume Mary will get upgraded to the Order of the Seraphim, right? Frederik already has that order. I am not as well-versed in orders as many on this forum, so please excuse any dumb assumptions or questions. Is there a collar for the Order of the Seraphim that Frederik could receive? What about vice versa - what orders on Members of the SRF could they receive from the new monarch?

The same for Norway - both Mary and Frederik have the highest order already. Haakon and MM have the Order of the Elephant already.
Yes there is a Collar for the Order of the Seraphim but it is seldom worn. Then Queen Beatrix wore it at swedish State Visits and it was worn by foreign monarchs at Crown Princess Victoria's Wedding but only the male ones. I guess that Prince Daniel will get the Order of the Elephant (hope not a lower one as it has been often the case) and also danish order for Carl Philip and Sofia.
In Norway i guess Frederik will get the Collar of the Order of St. Olav (as that was given to King Willem-Alexander) but otherwise no need as all the royals already have the highest orders from the other countries.

Last edited:
It will indeed be interesting to see the exchange of Orders for the two state visits. However, for the Norwegian state visit not so thrilling as all expected participants already have each others highest Orders. King Frederik is indeed expected to receive the Collar of the Order of Saint Olav, something that he probably never will wear.

The Collar of the Order of the Seraphim is worn seldomly, but more frequent than the Collar of the Order of Saint Olav. It is usually only awarded to fellow monarchs and Nordic Presidents on a second state visit, or if the receipient already is a Knight of the Order. Last time the Collars were worn was at the Jubilee Banquet in September last year. I would say King Frederik will receive the Collar and probably wear it at the State Banquet (as King Felipe and King Willem-Alexander did) and Queen Mary will be appointed a Knight of the Order.

In the Swedish Royal Family The King and Queen, The Crown Princess and Princess Christina are Knights of the Order of the Elephant. At least, I excpect Prince Daniel to be appointed to the same Order, but always a bit uncertain when it comes to Orders he receives. For Prince Carl Philip, Princess Sofia and Princess Madeleine (if she attends) even more unclear. Perhaps people in line to the throne receive the Order of Elephant and Princess Sofia the Grand Cross of the Order of Dannebrog. Maybe all of them receive the second highest Order? The late Princess Lilian apparently held the Grand Cross with Diamonds of the Order of Dannebrog.

All in all, it will be interesting to see how generous King Frederik is and what presedence he is setting for appointments to the Orders.

The only ”given” exchanges of orders i think is that Frederik will recive the collars of the Order of the Seraphim and Order of St Olav, and that Mary will recive the Order of the Seraphim (without the collar)

Everything else is obviously a guessing-game until it happens - but i would not be surprised to see Prince Daniel and Prince Carl Philip become Knights of the Order of the Elephant and Princess Sofia become a Grand Cross of the Order of the Dannebrog…
That was the pattern under QMII… But it can ofcourse change with the new reign…

As for Prince Daniel i have already wondered why hew hasn't received the order of the Elephant yet. Yes there have been no State Visits in which he took part but Crown Princess Mette-Marit received hers also without taking part in a State Visit

As for Prince Daniel i have already wondered why hew hasn't received the order of the Elephant yet. Yes there have been no State Visits in which he took part but Crown Princess Mette-Marit received hers also without taking part in a State Visit
He is often being treated as lower in rank than his wife, and not equal…

Though King Harald gave him the Order of Saint Olav anyway…

It will indeed be interesting to see the exchange of Orders for the two state visits. However, for the Norwegian state visit not so thrilling as all expected participants already have each others highest Orders. King Frederik is indeed expected to receive the Collar of the Order of Saint Olav, something that he probably never will wear.

The Collar of the Order of the Seraphim is worn seldomly, but more frequent than the Collar of the Order of Saint Olav. It is usually only awarded to fellow monarchs and Nordic Presidents on a second state visit, or if the receipient already is a Knight of the Order. Last time the Collars were worn was at the Jubilee Banquet in September last year. I would say King Frederik will receive the Collar and probably wear it at the State Banquet (as King Felipe and King Willem-Alexander did) and Queen Mary will be appointed a Knight of the Order.

In the Swedish Royal Family The King and Queen, The Crown Princess and Princess Christina are Knights of the Order of the Elephant. At least, I excpect Prince Daniel to be appointed to the same Order, but always a bit uncertain when it comes to Orders he receives. For Prince Carl Philip, Princess Sofia and Princess Madeleine (if she attends) even more unclear. Perhaps people in line to the throne receive the Order of Elephant and Princess Sofia the Grand Cross of the Order of Dannebrog. Maybe all of them receive the second highest Order? The late Princess Lilian apparently held the Grand Cross with Diamonds of the Order of Dannebrog.

All in all, it will be interesting to see how generous King Frederik is and what presedence he is setting for appointments to the Orders.
I think that the consorts of heir apparents should have awarded with the Order of Dannebrog, as they does with First Ladies.

Back
Top Bottom