State Visit from Luxembourg to Belgium: April 16- 18, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No tiara surprised tonight. Queen Mathilde in the nine provinces tiaras and her new diamond v shaped diamond necklace. Grand Duchess Maria Teresa again in the belgian scroll tiara with the aquamarines and a big brooch.

Photos of Welcome ceremony.

Traditionally, it is hotel schools that provide service during state banquets. Today, it’s the turn of the provincial hotel school of Namur.

State banquet photos:

More photos:

More photos and video:

Last edited:
Princess Astrid and her husband did not attend the banquet even?

Prince Laurent certainly not and Princess Margaretha is not living in Belgium anymore.

We're waitin'...
Waiting for Godot apparently. I imagine that if Astrid had been there we would have seen a photo by now. Whatever the reason for the absences it seems rather a shabby turn out for a neighbouring country, part of the Benelux even. And even more so as it is indeed their first cousin who is visiting! Of course one can wonder what is the use of the other members of the RF being there, as long as the main players do attend. But why bother having them at all if they can't show up for events like these.

A few additional photos from the State Banquet
PPE Agency

Disappointing not to see any other members of the BRF in attendance at a family event!

What tiara is Princess Sophie of Hohenberg wearing?

It is not the tiara her eldest Sister Anita wore for her Wedding .
Is she wearing the Starry cross ? but her husband ??

At least Prince Lorenz attended, I've found a photo of him, but none of Astrid, so I guess he attended without her:

** Prince Lorenz at the state banquet **

More photos of the second day today can be found here:

** gettyimages gallery ** rex updated gallery ** gtresnews gallery ** ppe gallery **

I am very upset !
During King Albert II's Reign the whole Belgian Royal Family was there for the State Dinner even Queen Fabiola. For this State Visit Princess Astrid decided not to be there and Prince Lorenz was seen at the Dinner with a luxemburger lower Sash (bleue). He stood not alone next to the King and Queen !
No show up from Astrid means no show up for Laurent.
We know that the relationship between the Queen and the Princess are not perfect , but refusing to be there , I don't undestand. On so many the pictures showing all the Royal family , Princess Astrid never smiles . What is going on ?

Will there be a concert or a dinner hold by the Luxembourg delegation for the Belgian hosts? I read the program but there is no mention of it

It is not the tiara her eldest Sister Anita wore for her Wedding .
Is she wearing the Starry cross ? but her husband ??
I believe he is wearing the neck badge belonging to a Knight in the order of Malta. I think Pss Sophie is also wearing the decorations as a Dame in the order of Malta and not the starry cross.

Althoug it was lovely to see her and her husband there it is surprising the Prince and Princess de Ligne -also a 1st cousin of the GD- did not attend.

Seems the photographers are all busy in Amsterdam today evening.

Even the ones of the Belgian court it seems, as the twitter account has no updates. Neither has Wim Dehandschuuter, who we can usually rely upon.

I believe he is wearing the neck badge belonging to a Knight in the order of Malta. I think Pss Sophie is also wearing the decorations as a Dame in the order of Malta and not the starry cross.

Althoug it was lovely to see her and her husband there it is surprising the Prince and Princess de Ligne -also a 1st cousin of the GD- did not attend.
The Prince and Princess de Ligne attended too Le prince Michel de Ligne au banquet d'État offert par le roi Philippe au grand-duc Henri de Luxembourg

Thanks! Good to see them, a high society party in Belgium is not complete without them there ;). A pity the Princess is not wearing the family tiara.

It seems the King was hosting a reception for EU leaders at the palace tonight, before the concert.

Good to see Laurent turning up tonight. The king indeed had a busy day.

Prince Laurent certainly not and Princess Margaretha is not living in Belgium anymore.
Laurent receives an income from the state still, correct? And Astrid? So is this decision to essentially hide them almost all the time something Philippe has done because Laurent can be problematic? I know Astrid handles trade delegations for Belgium. What does Laurent do that justifies his subsidy?

Here are some more photos of the return event:

And here are the first photos of the final day today, April 18:

** rex gallery ** gtresnews gallery ** gettyimages gallery **

Last edited:
Day 2 with the King and Grand Duke on a visit to the Melsbroek military airport.
PPE Agency

I saw a video posted in the thread of royal jewels message board.
I saw the guests arriving and their name pronouced in Dutch or French. Tle last on the video was Son Altesse Royale le Prince Lorenz , we saw the Prince arriving with is blue Sash of the lower Order and then nothing. So he was among the guests and not among the Royal family.

Back
Top Bottom