State Visit from Luxembourg to Belgium: April 16- 18, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany
Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg will pay a state visit to Belgium,
it was announced today, March 18.

At the invitation of Their Majesties the King and Queen of the Belgians, Their Royal Highnesses the Grand Duke and the Grand Duchess will travel to the Kingdom of Belgium for a State Visit from April 16 to 18, 2024.During this State Visit, the Royal Couple and the Grand Ducal Couple will have the pleasure of visiting different projects and companies in three Belgian cities: Brussels, Ghent and Liège.

Good news. Interestingly, Felipe and Letizia's state visit to the Netherlands is also taking place during these days.

Endly a State Visit , I hope we wll see Princess Astrid and Princess Claire and I wonder which tiara they will wear?

Have the Grand Duke and Duchess have previously been on a state visit to Belgium, perhaps when Albert was King?

Yes, they have visited previously. There are very close family ties.

Have the Grand Duke and Duchess have previously been on a state visit to Belgium, perhaps when Albert was King?
Yes, in 2007, during Albert's reign indeed.
Here's an overview of State visits between the two countries:
Details of the Luxembourg State Visit to Belgium

Btw, I've just noticed that after Queen Margrethe's abdication Philippe and Henri are the only remaining European monarchs who are first cousins.

The State Visit will begin one day after King Philippe's 64th birthday, and on the day of GD Henri's 69th. Interestingly, both Philippe and Henri's youngest children, Princess Eleonore and Prince Sebastien, were born on April 16, (they're turning respectively 16 and 32 this year)

Last edited:
I am aware of the close family ties. I just don't know whythe Belgiam government would consider it a diplomatic priority to invite the LRF for a state visit again.
It is about the same timespane it was between the State Visit from the Netherlands (from Queen Beatrix and from King Willem-Alexander)

It's a neighboring country, so it makes sense to keep working on good relationships.

I really want Elisabeth attending the banquet!!

Place Royale interviewed the Grand Duke and the Grand Duchess. The Grand Duke said that it is their second state Visit to Belgium. Normally He is doing one for a Country during his Reign.
About Diners on State Visits : during the Starter you have to speak to your left neighbour, during the main dish to your right and for the Dessert , you may choose.

That wouldn’t work for everyone. I guess the men typically do this and the women between them do the opposite?!

Wasn't the state visit program presented?

The program of the state visit.

Staatsbezoek van de Groothertog en de Groothertogin van Luxemburg aan België | De Belgische Monarchie
Google Translate - Staatsbezoek van de Groothertog en de Groothertogin van Luxemburg aan België | De Belgische Monarchie
At the invitation of Their Majesties the King and the Queen, Their Royal Highnesses the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg are paying a state visit to Belgium. Belgium and Luxembourg are closely linked thanks to royal family ties, but also historically, economically, culturally and socially. This state visit shows that both countries want to continue investing and working together in areas such as sustainable economic development, e-health, space, defense and education.

The program includes a ceremonial reception on the Place des Palais in Brussels on Tuesday, April 16, a visit to the Brussels City Hall, and a State Banquet in the Castle of Laeken.

On Wednesday morning, April 17, the King and the Grand Duke will open the Economic Forum in the Egmont Palace in Brussels. They meet a number of Belgian and Luxembourgish CEOs who present their successful collaboration and current projects. At the same time, the Queen and the Grand Duchess will visit the exhibition 'Histoire de ne pas rire. Surrealism in Belgium' at the Center for Fine Arts in Brussels. The official delegation will then travel to Ghent for a visit to North Sea Port(This hyperlink opens a new window)and the Belgian engine builder Anglo Belgian Corporation (ABC)(This hyperlink opens a new window). The company, founded in 1912, has transformed itself into a successful modern international company in the production of high-performance hydrogen and multi-fuel marine engines, with an emphasis on renewable energy, circularity and sustainable entrepreneurship. After a lunch on labor market dynamics in the new Provincial House, the Queen, together with the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess, will visit St. Bavo's Cathedral and the Mystic Lamb, the final restoration phase of which is currently underway. The day ends with a concert by the Luxembourg Philharmonic Orchestra in Flagey in Brussels, presented by the Luxembourg duke couple.

Thursday, April 18, takes off for the King and the Grand Duke at the air base of the 15th Wing in Melsbroek, where the Belgium-Luxembourg bi-national Air Transport Unit A400M is stationed. Belgium and Luxembourg have been working closely together in the field of defense for decades. At the end of 2023, both countries signed a cooperation agreement for the creation of a binational reconnaissance battalion and welcomed the arrival of the last A400M in the binational fleet. They will then go to the University of Liège for a seminar on cyber defense and space travel. The Queen and the Grand Duchess are now visiting Child Focus(This hyperlink opens a new window)in Brussels. The King, the Queen, the Grand Duke and the Grand Duchess will participate in a thematic lunch about Belgian-Luxembourg cross-border partnerships at the Prince-Bishop's Palace in Liège at noon. They will then conclude the state visit with a meeting with the population on Sint-Lambertusplein in Liège.

Photos of the interview that Grand Duke Henri gave to the newspaper La Libre Belgique on the occasion of Luxembourg's state visit to Belgium.

The Belgian Royal House has released photos of Luxembourg's previous state visits to Belgium. The first state visit took place in 1913 and this will be the seventh state visit to take place.

King Philippe and Grand Duke Henri already celebrated their birthdays together today, April 15.

King Philippe turned 64 today, Grand Duke Henri will be 69 tomorrow, April 16:

King Philippe and Grand Duke Henri already celebrated their birthdays together today, April 15.

King Philippe turned 64 today, Grand Duke Henri will be 69 tomorrow, April 16:

Really lovely pictures of the two cousins celebrating their respective birthdays together, I was hoping for something like that!
In the background, I think I can recognize some pictures, for example:
-portraits of Princes Gabriel and Emmanuel when they turned 18;
-Philippe and Mathilde with little Elisabeth;
-Philippe's extended family on his accession day in 2013;
-Philippe's father and uncle, Albert and Baudouin, together as children

Last edited:
Indeed a nice personal touch. Tomorrow is not only Henri's birthday but also that of his son Sébastien (32) and of Philippe's daughter Eléonore (16).

Cuteness overload, I really love seeing the beautiful relationship between the Belgian and Lux first cousins. Also, with this joint photo of the King and the Grand Duke, their respective youngest get a post all for themselves tomorrow.

The state visit has started with the welcome ceremony in front of the Royal Palace in Brussels today:

** rex gallery ** gtresnews gallery ** gettyimages gallery ** ppe gallery **

** robinutrecht.photoshelter gallery **

Nice Brussels weather it seems, it is not really helping the hairstyles.

Am I the only one that thoght MT looked very bored during the playing of the national anthem?

How else is one supposed to look?

Nice Brussels weather it seems, it is not really helping the hairstyles.
Agreed, the weather is not helping the hairstyles at all. Hope there was a hair stylist waiting indoors to help the ladies.
How else is one supposed to look?
Neutral, respectful, focussed. Just not distracted or bored.

Depending on the person these expressions can be close to one another. The distracted part may be due to the wind, concerns about the hair and keeping the coat down. It seems very windy.

The cleaned up facade looks very good.

The whole busy streets around the royal palace closed , the press is more before the parlaiment where important questions are discussed to day. They will stop because of the State Dinner.

Back
Top Bottom