British State Visit to France, 20-22 Sep 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you to everyone posting links.:flowers:

Could a native French speaker let us know how good HM's French is. I can understand what he's saying but his accent seems stronger than that of the late queen.

He speaks very good French yes with an accent but he is perfectly comprehensible. During his speech at the dinner he even corrected himself with a «*liaison*» which means he has a true knowledge of the language.

Thank you to everyone posting links.:flowers:

Could a native French speaker let us know how good HM's French is. I can understand what he's saying but his accent seems stronger than that of the late queen.
He is fluent but his late mother the Queen was much much better. Her british accent was less strong than his, and I had the impression that the Queen spoke easiest. Words came out from her mouth more natural.
She might have spoken more often than he did. Maybe she was speaking with Prince Philip who was fluent also.
In two words late Queen gave me the impression that she could speak by heart without searching words at all. King Charles would maybe be more dependent to his paper.
But in any case fluent.

Accent or not , I was impressed by His Majesty 's Speech and its Ovation at the french Senate. Most important event as the one at the Arc de Triomphe.

The King and the Queen had a last "informal" meeting with the Macrons at the Elysée Palace. The two couples seemed to get along extremely well and it was all smiles and kisses when it was time to say goodbye. The royal couple will spend the evening privately at the British Embassy then travel to Bordeaux tomorrow for the last leg of their visit.

I'm not following the visit closely but is there no 'return event' from the visiting head of state? Normally that would be scheduled on the second night (although of course the British also have a different schedule with the Guildhall dinner when receiving guests).

I'm not following the visit closely but is there no 'return event' from the visiting head of state? Normally that would be scheduled on the second night (although of course the British also have a different schedule with the Guildhall dinner when receiving guests).

Return events are extremely rare nowadays in France. It was the case for the last Dutch, Swedish and Luxembourg visits but that's pretty much the exceptions. No return event was held during QEII last State visit back in 2014.

Thank you to Nico, Assia & Fandesacs for answering my question.:flowers:

Return events are extremely rare nowadays in France. It was the case for the last Dutch, Swedish and Luxembourg visits but that's pretty much the exceptions. No return event was held during QEII last State visit back in 2014.
There was also no return Visit at the british State vist to Germany in march. And at Queen Elizabeth II.'s last State Visit in 2015 the return Event was a Garden Party. So it seems the brits don#t that anymore.

And they're off :

Au revoir, France! King Charles waves goodbye as he boards plane to head home with Camilla - after enjoying Bordeaux wine and tucking into cheese platter during final day of state visit

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12550551/king-charles-waves-boards-plane-camilla.html

We can say that this State Visit was a tremendous success. I was there for the last State visits of QEII back in 2004 and 2014 and i must say that this one was far more, by many aspects, impressive. We didn't see anything like this in France for years !

Last edited:
I agree , Thank you Nico , for all your informations about the first Visit of King Charles III and Queen Camilla.
The King's speech at the Senate was impressive and its President Gerard Larcher , the number 2 of France after the President , said he hopes one day
have also have a standing Ovation.
Queen Camilla did well , her arrival from the airplane with one hand for the steps and the other trying to save her hat from the wind and the highlight was her Dress and jewels at Versailles.

We can say that this State Visit was a tremendous success. I was there for the last State visits of QEII back in 2004 and 2014 and i must say that this one was far more, by many aspects, impressive. We didn't see anything like this in France for years ![/QUOTE]

A question: did Camilla was awarded the Legion of Honour?

Queen Camilla is seen at Bordeaux with a square Brooch at the beginning and lost it at the end ??

Queen Camilla is seen at Bordeaux with a square Brooch at the beginning and lost it at the end ??

I doubt that she 'lost' it. I suspect that for one reason or another she took it off and didn't put it back on.

Back
Top Bottom