French State Visit to Sweden: 30-31 Jan 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brigitte could be awarded the order of the Polar Star, but I find it unlikely.

I suppose that is decided by the Swedish government, rather than the King personally.
Why would Brigitte receive an order? Although officially a member of the Royal House (as the only one of the sisters who married 'equally'), she hasn't participated in official events (other than family events) for decades - unlike her sister Christina whom her brother has always been able to count on.

Why would Brigitte receive an order? Although officially a member of the Royal House (as the only one of the sisters who married 'equally'), she hasn't participated in official events (other than family events) for decades - unlike her sister Christina whom her brother has always been able to count on.

They are talking about Brigitte Macron receiving an order, not princess Birgitta.

The Royal Court published at its Instagram photos from previous state visits
https://www.instagram.com/p/C2sIPTAKU6D/?img_index=1

Last edited:
At the past French State Visits, Brigitte Macron did not received any order, so I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't receive any orders

At the past French State Visits, Brigitte Macron did not received any order, so I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't receive any orders

Mrs Macron received the Dannebrog but chose to not wear it.

Did she not receive one or did she and simply choose not to wear them? Ususlly wives of Presidents get the second highest, which would in Sweden be the Polar Star

Last edited:
Did she not receive one or did she and simply choose not to wear them? Ususlly wives of Presidents get the second highest, which would in Sweden be the Polar Star

Brigitte can receive, but probably she will choose not wear.

I would say that Brigitte Macron will receive the Grand Cross of the Order of the Polar Star (in that case the second spouse to receive it in a black sash). It wluld be nothing strange as her predecessor Madame Chirac received the very same order in 2000. We know that she received the Grand Cross of the Order of Dannebrog, but opted not to wear it, so probably she received an order also in Belgium and the Netherlands.

Princess Christina, as her husband, has lower grade of Order of Legion, even if she doesn't usually wears it.

Prince Daniel might receive the Grand Cross of the Order of National Merit, but who knows? At least Crown Princess Mary did some years ago.

If Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia receive any order is unclear. I don't know if there is any precedence to look at?

And finally, yes I hope Queen Silvia wears the Grand Cross of the Order of Legion, that she received in the 80's, but has never been seen wearing.

For some reason, the Swedes seem to prefer that Daniel receives the same order as his brother-in-law and sister-in-law and not the same as his spouse. Pretty sure that if the genders were reversed, it would be different.

I would say that Brigitte Macron will receive the Grand Cross of the Order of the Polar Star (in that case the second spouse to receive it in a black sash). It wluld be nothing strange as her predecessor Madame Chirac received the very same order in 2000. We know that she received the Grand Cross of the Order of Dannebrog, but opted not to wear it, so probably she received an order also in Belgium and the Netherlands.

Princess Christina, as her husband, has lower grade of Order of Legion, even if she doesn't usually wears it.

Prince Daniel might receive the Grand Cross of the Order of National Merit, but who knows? At least Crown Princess Mary did some years ago.

If Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia receive any order is unclear. I don't know if there is any precedence to look at?

And finally, yes I hope Queen Silvia wears the Grand Cross of the Order of Legion, that she received in the 80's, but has never been seen wearing.

If Princess Christina got a swedish order in a lower grade would that not be a precedent for prince Carl Philip to get the same?
Did Prince Joachim and Princess Marie get french orders?

If Princess Christina got a swedish order in a lower grade would that not be a precedent for prince Carl Philip to get the same?
Did Prince Joachim and Princess Marie get french orders?

If I recall correctly Princess Christina has received her order outside a state visit.

Princess Marie at least I think received a French Order at a reception at the French Embassy in Copenhagen. But I could mix things up here.

How can the President of France go to a State Visit in Sweden when it is a disaster in his Country and he has to attend the very important Sommet Européen on Fébruary 1st ?

Thank you for the information about Mme. Chirac.

Isn't the black sash for Swedish citizens only? My understanding was that foreign citizens would continue to wear the blue and yellow sash. Or is the black sash now the default for all Commanders Grand Cross of the Order of the Polar Star, regardless of nationality? If so, are pre-2023 members of the order getting new insignia too?

Last edited:
How can the President of France go to a State Visit in Sweden when it is a disaster in his Country and he has to attend the very important Sommet Européen on Fébruary 1st ?

Incredibly short sighted. Sweden is on the verge to join OTAN amid high tensions with Russia. Domestic and rather usual problems inside the country are peanuts compared to a possible war in the forecoming future. This visit is absolutely essential.

As "France" being a disaster at this moment , this is simple not true. President Macron was in India for a State visit just few days ago for instance.

Thank you for the information about Mme. Chirac.

Isn't the black sash for Swedish citizens only? My understanding was that foreign citizens would continue to wear the blue and yellow sash. Or is the black sash now the default for all Commanders Grand Cross of the Order of the Polar Star, regardless of nationality? If so, are pre-2023 members of the order getting new insignia too?

Since the reform of the Royal Orders last year the Order of the Polar Star is only awarded in the black sash, regardless of nationality or grade. The First Lady of Estonia was the first spouse to receive the Grand Cross in the black sash during the state visit last May.

From my understanding recipients of the Order of the old blue and yellow sash will continue to wear that. Crown Princess Mary at least used that for the Jubilee in September. I think they go back to old practice when the Order changed sash in the 70's. Back then the recipients of the black sash continued to wear that even after the new blue and yellow sash was introduced, for instance Count Carl Johan Bernadotte continued to wear his black sash, as the King also has done all years.

Back to the Orders of the French state visit. It looks like at least both Madame Giscard d'Estaing and Madame Mitterand received Swedish Orders during state visits.

It's too bad the Office of the Royal Orders doesn't publish appointments to the Orders, regardless if it's diplomatic or not. Hopefully it will come.

Incredibly short sighted. Sweden is on the verge to join OTAN amid high tensions with Russia. Domestic and rather usual problems inside the country are peanuts compared to a possible war in the forecoming future. This visit is absolutely essential.

As "France" being a disaster at this moment , this is simple not true. President Macron was in India for a State visit just few days ago for instance.

Sorry Nico for my post , I just read what you are writing.

The court has updated the program and now only Victoria attends the Business Seminar tomorrow with the King and the President according to it.

Outside the official state visit program published by the Royal Court:
President Emmanuel Macron spoke to members of the French expatriate community in Stockholm this morning.
Getty Images

The welcome ceremony
Getty Images
ANP gallery

Group photo
https://image.svenskdam.se/image-10142795?imageId=10142795&width=1320&height=884&compression=70
Victoria och Daniels hyllning under franska statsbesöket _*Svensk Dam
ANP gallery

JUST NU_ Här inleds det franska statsbesöket – Macron på plats! _*Svensk Dam
Frankrikes president Emmanuel Macron kommer till Sverige _ Sverige _ Expressen

The Royal Court updates to its website about the visit. They have listed the Orders received:
The Legion of Honour, Grand Officier: Crown princess Victoria, prince Daniel, prince Carl Philip and princess Sofia (Victoria had previously received The National Order of Merit, Grand Cross)
The Order of the Seraphim: President Emmanuel Macron
The Grand Cross of the Order of the Polar Star: Mrs Brigitte Macron
Statsbesök från Frankrike _ Kungahuset
The King's speech at the Royal Palace
H.M. Konungens pressuttalande i samband med statsbesök från Republiken Frankrike _ Kungahuset
President Macron was welcomed to the Riksdag by the Speaker Andreas Norlén
Getty Images

Next president Macron met prime minister Ulf Kristersson, they had press conference after the discussions.
TT gallery
State Visit from France - Government.se

Queen Silvia and mrs Macron visit Rinkeby School
ANP gallery

The King, the President and Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson participate in a round table discussion on the future of European security with security policy experts from Sweden and France at the Swedish Defence University.
Program
Welcome speech by H.M. The King
Introduction by Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson
Address by President Emmanuel Macron: European security in times of global challenges
Questions from cadets

Photos from the Swedish Defence University
Getty Images
Queen Silvia and mrs Macron visited Moderna Museet/The Museum of Modern Art.
ANP gallery

Last edited:
And once again it is obvious by the exchange of state orders, that The King has not placed Prince Daniel at the same rank as his wife in the order of precedence, but at the same rank as Prince Carl Philip…. Wich means he is not viewed as equal to Crown Princess Mette-Marit…

It’s weird but as it has been going on for a long time now, i suppose nothing will change until Victoria inherits the throne…

And once again it is obvious by the exchange of state orders, that The King has not placed Prince Daniel at the same rank as his wife in the order of precedence, but at the same rank as Prince Carl Philip…. Wich means he is not viewed as equal to Crown Princess Mette-Marit…

It’s weird but as it has been going on for a long time now, i suppose nothing will change until Victoria inherits the throne…

But Victoria and Daniel have both got the same Order today.

But Victoria and Daniel have both got the same Order today.

Yes but only because Victoria recived the Grand-croix of the L'ordre national du Mérite from Chirac during his state visit in 2000

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures. Madame Macron to the point, as usual. Victoria looks great, I dont like Silvias or Sofias outfit for this event.
Yes we will have to wait until Victoria becomes Queen to see Daniel treated the way he should. I don't even know why CP attends such events and doesnt fade quietly into the background as other royal houses lead by example. On photo he might look like the heir but he is not.

Thanks for the pictures. Madame Macron to the point, as usual. Victoria looks great, I dont like Silvias or Sofias outfit for this event.
Yes we will have to wait until Victoria becomes Queen to see Daniel treated the way he should. I don't even know why CP attends such events and doesnt fade quietly into the background as other royal houses lead by example. On photo he might look like the heir but he is not.

Why shouldn't Prince Carl Philip be at state dinners? In the UK, all of Queen Elizabeth II's children attended state dinners when they were available. And, until recently, when he still lived in Denmark, Prince Joachim took part in state dinners too. In Belgium, Princess Astrid normally attends and Prince Laurent only stopped going in protest to his apanage being cut down by the Belgian government (he is still invited though, as far as I understand).

I don't even know why CP attends such events and doesnt fade quietly into the background as other royal houses lead by example. On photo he might look like the heir but he is not.

That Carl Philip and Sofia undertakes royal engagements and attends state visits isn’t more strange than Edward and Sophie doing the same in UK, Astrid doing the same in Belgium, and Benedikte doing the same in Denmark…. I bet the Norwegian RF wished they had that extra pair of hands available as well

Everyone is looking good, love Mrs Macron understated elegance.

And , Alléluia. President Macron is wearing a proper White tie suit !

Finally!! I'm glad to see Queen Silvia wearing the Legion of Honour!!!

The sash on Victoria looks a bit to big and wide

Is this that bad...?!;)

The sash on Victoria looks a bit to big and wide

There is no "Female" version of the Ordre national du Mérite (like for the Légion d'Honneur).Mary had the same issue with hers during the French State visit to Danemark.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom