UK State visit to Kenya: 31 October to 3 November

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We're the hosts more dressed up than him on those occasions as well?

The then Prince of Wales was always dressed according to the Dress code agreed beforhand.

Unless we have the dress code we are simply assuming that the same dress code was given to everyone. I have been to events where some were told 'white tie' while others were told 'black tie' and a third group 'day dress/suits'. All were for the same event and there seemed no rhyme or reason why the different dress codes.

I doubt there was any confusion given how meticulous the British Foreign Office are about these sorts of details for royal visits but then again maybe the FO wants to embarass the King for some reason.

In Greece, Colombia, Poland, Gambia, Trinidad and Tobago etc..

None of those were state visits or state dinners. Charles was not king at the time, they were official dinners.

After looking at more photos of the dinner it seems Charles dressed according to the dress code and for some reason the host decided to wear a tux instead...to the dinner he organized and hosted. An interesting choice to make.

I think that is correct. Charles is unlikely to get such a detail wrong. I can only assume either the dress code was not clear, or the host decided to upgrade his attire without informing his guest.

......but then again maybe the FO wants to embarass the King for some reason.

Now that is a theory: the government of the day, acting through the FCO, attempting to act against the King on his first state visit to a Commonwealth country. Lets see if this theory can be substantiated further!

Last edited by a moderator:
They are both being very understated indeed, it looks like they are going out of their way not to look 'colonial' with no big hats, tiaras, orders, uniforms etc. I do think Charles has taken it too far though in wearing a lounge suit to the state banquet. The President is in black tie and Charles should have worn the same. Sometimes if you are too casual it can look a bit insulting in itself whereas Camilla struck the right note looking very well put together without being over the top.
I don´t think looking what you are, royal !, has nothing to do with "colonialism" what so ever... I sometimes feel "the Royals" are a bit ashamed of being royal these days - and that is a very disturbing development IMO.
As the monarch of the world´s best known monarchy being topped by a republican president, who will be out of office and forgotten within a couple of years, when it comes to dresscode, is a shame! And the Queen wearing a smaller tiara, like her own family heirloom, would not have hurt anyone!

I remember late Queen Elizabeth wore full "Regalia" at the state banquets for her last state visits both to France and Germany, despite these were not scheduled as white tie events and the men, including Prince Philip, wore tuxedo!

Last edited:
None of those were state visits or state dinners. Charles was not king at the time, they were official dinners.

Maybe but the codes and protocol were exatly the same as State dinners, even refered as such by the press.

I think that is correct. Charles is unlikely to get such a detail wrong. I can only assume either the dress code was not clear, or the host decided to upgrade his attire without informing his guest.

Now that is a theory: the government of the day, acting through the FCO, attempting to act against the King on his first state visit to a Commonwealth country. Lets see if this theory can be substantiated further!
I just love these conspiracy theories on this forum. Nothing can be a misunderstanding or another explanation there it is always somebody doing something underhand. Love reading them. If they do not attend an event it is because they think themselves too good, or remember Charles evicted Angela, some people just love there to be a sinister motive. Charles wore a suit so he offended his host.
Of course they know what the correct story is.
It keeps us entertained.

Maybe but the codes and protocol were exatly the same as State dinners, even refered as such by the press.

Since when did we believe everything the press said .

Not quite. The BRF have always made a clear distinctionb between state visits and oifficial visits, state dinners and official dinners.

Trips overseas by C&C, prior to Charles acceding to the throne, were official visits. No tiaras (barring CHOGM), and black tie / lounge suits, not white tie dinners.

Since when some people apparently lost some common sense ?

Very true, I believe nothing without facts, I don’t mind opinions I have plenty of those myself or even suggestions or thoughts.

Not quite. The BRF have always made a clear distinctionb between state visits and oifficial visits, state dinners and official dinners.

Trips overseas by C&C, prior to Charles acceding to the throne, were official visits. No tiaras (barring CHOGM), and black tie / lounge suits, not white tie dinners.

The BRF made the distinction but certainely not the hosts. An Official dinner in Athens has the same pattern than a State one, same in Poland, Gambia etc albeit the same dress code.

The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall were maybe the sole princely couple to be entertain like actual heads of States.

At the end , Charles did wear lounge suits at dinners regarded at the top of the protocol by the hosts.

TM the King and Queen at the Commonwealth Graves Commission today. The couple laid wreaths and presented elderly service men with medals. This included a 117 year old WWII veteran.

The King makes a speech at the State Banquet

Back
Top Bottom