UK State visit to Kenya: 31 October to 3 November

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muriel

Imperial Majesty
City
London / Guildford
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited:
King Charles to acknowledge ‘painful’ colonial past on state visit to Kenya

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....nowledge-painful-past-on-state-visit-to-kenya

Monarch’s recognition will come as country prepares to celebrate 60 years of independence from Britain

I am looking forward to TM's first visit to a Commonwealth country and continuing to nurture the growth in relationship between Kenya and the UK. I shan't be expecting tiaras but Kenya is such a beautiful country there will most likely be some stunning photos.

No visit to Treetops, then?

King Charles to acknowledge ‘painful’ colonial past on state visit to Kenya

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....nowledge-painful-past-on-state-visit-to-kenya

Monarch’s recognition will come as country prepares to celebrate 60 years of independence from Britain

I am looking forward to TM's first visit to a Commonwealth country and continuing to nurture the growth in relationship between Kenya and the UK. I shan't be expecting tiaras but Kenya is such a beautiful country there will most likely be some stunning photos.

It will be interesting how this acknowledgement of the painful past is dealt with, and how the whole issue will develop.

We are a week from the state visit, I was hoping a schedule of the state visit would be published by now.

I was just thinking the same as we'd normally have some details by now.

The King and Queen are on their way to Kenya for a four-day visit which will take in the best of the country, from its young tech entrepreneurs and creatives to its beautiful forests and coastline.

Given that the state visit does not actually start until tmrw, I suspect they will arrive in Nairobi today and only start the official programme tomorrow.

The King & Queen have arrived in Nairobi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Christmas present idea for Camilla- a matching folder like Charles’

The King and Queen were received in a formal welcome at State House in Nairobi today at the start of the state visit.

https://twitter.com/home

I assume that the lack of details before the visit is down to security concerns.

That is entirely possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to this State Visit.

Seems like a lovely start to the state visit so far. The Kenyan hospitality is out in full force.

Arrival to state dinner

Seems to be a little confusion on dress code, the King is in a business' suit and the President in black tie. Beautiful entrance and welcome though.

Arrival to state dinner

Seems to be a little confusion on dress code, the King is in a business' suit and the President in black tie. Beautiful entrance and welcome though.

They are both being very understated indeed, it looks like they are going out of their way not to look 'colonial' with no big hats, tiaras, orders, uniforms etc. I do think Charles has taken it too far though in wearing a lounge suit to the state banquet. The President is in black tie and Charles should have worn the same. Sometimes if you are too casual it can look a bit insulting in itself whereas Camilla struck the right note looking very well put together without being over the top.

Last edited:
Yes I agree. A lounge suit can indeed look a bit offhand though of course it’s not meant to be. However wearing a tux and bow tie as your Kenyan hosts are wouldn’t be regarded as an insult or trying to be ‘colonial’. Kenya’s been independent for a very long time now.

I too think that Charles should have not worn a lounge suit to the state banquet. IMO even though Kenya has been independent for some time, it still looks insulting to arrive wearing such a suit.

I too think that Charles should have not worn a lounge suit to the state banquet. IMO even though Kenya has been independent for some time, it still looks insulting to arrive wearing such a suit.

Your right, in trying to not rock the boat Charles may have unintentionally caused a bit of offense. He should have worn black tie as it was far too grand an occasion for what he did wear, the banquet looked spectacular and it's obvious a huge amount of effort had gone into it.

Last edited:

Insulting ? I mean really ...
If the King is wearing a business suit, it's because he was told the dress code was business suit. Period. Obviously there was some kind of misunderstanding about it concerning the host ( i saw other male guests in business suits as well) but it happened before and it's not a big deal.

Charles is maybe one of the most diplomatic man in the World. Insinuating that he wore that suit somewhat on purpose to offense his hosts, now that's insulting.

Last edited:
After looking at more photos of the dinner it seems Charles dressed according to the dress code and for some reason the host decided to wear a tux instead...to the dinner he organized and hosted. An interesting choice to make.

Insulting ? I mean really ...
If the King is wearing a business suit, it's because he was told the dress code was business suit. Period. Obviously there was some kind of misunderstanding about it ( i saw other male guests in business suits as well) but it happened before and it's not a big deal.

Charles is maybe one of the most diplomatic man in the World. To insinuate that he wore that suit somewhat on purpose to offense his hosts, now that's insulting.

No one is suggesting that he was intentionally trying to cause offense. However coming too casually dressed to something that's obviously taken a great deal of time to put together can give the wrong impression.The Queen Mother said it was always better to be slightly overdressed at an event as it made the people who organised it feel appreciated. I think there's something in that.

I think some men were in tuxes some in lounge suits. Maybe the President wore a tux because he believed the King would. After all, how many State Banquets has Charles been to where he has worn a lounge suit? Miscommunications somewhere along the line!

I think some men were in tuxes some in lounge suits. Maybe the President wore a tux because he believed the King would. After all, how many State Banquets has Charles been to where he has worn a lounge suit?

Absolutely none that I can recall.

After looking at more photos of the dinner it seems Charles dressed according to the dress code and for some reason the host decided to wear a tux instead...to the dinner he organized and hosted. An interesting choice to make.

Precisely. I' m afraid that the Kenyan President was a bit overdressed considering the dress code, not the contrary.

I think some men were in tuxes some in lounge suits. Maybe the President wore a tux because he believed the King would. After all, how many State Banquets has Charles been to where he has worn a lounge suit? Miscommunications somewhere along the line!

Except the President set the dress code and sent out the invites. It seems quite odd to me for a host to set a dress code and then decide to ignore it.

Back
Top Bottom