The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 5: November 2019 - April 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like this outfit a lot. The color is glorious on Meghan, and I even love the style and the hat; what I am not liking is the fit which is really fairly awful.

Her fashion during this week was so great and elegant but today was an epic fail Imo
While i find the color beautiful on the Duchess i think the rest is a mess, the dress is ill fitting, the cap thing is so silly and the bag and shoes doesn't match well her outfit.. Seems to me like she tried to hard for her final event

Love the color and the cape.

Say what you want, Meghan Sussex, the wife of Citizen Harry, is wearing now more regal clothes, than during her whole and short career as a Royal Highness!

When I first saw her getting of the car I thought the outfit was too "buttoned up" but when I saw video of her walking I thought Meghan looked incredibly chic. I loved all the accessories as well.

Slightly ill-fitting, but still a great look! :D

The color is beautiful, but the fit is off and I really dislike the cape thing hanging off the side.

Exactly my thoughts. The hat is also a massive no from me, wish the outfit wasn’t a solid block colour.

Nice color but as others have said, the fit seems off

Colour is fabulous and so is the hat. I’m not too keen on how that cape falls to the side though or the fit of the dress though. Make up is on point also. Overall I’m loving the colours she chose for this last visit. The turquoise dress, the red gown and this colour are all great choices that photograph beautifully.

Well she succeeded this trip in doing the two things people complained she needed to do more of: Wear colors and wear British designers. Today is no exception to that.

I am in love with the amazing color. And I love the cape. Adds interest :flowers:

But as I find with other Emilia Wickstead, it doesn't fit well in the bust.

I don't mind her fascinator but I want to go and chop off that horrible netting from it, its horrific. Though I am happy she is giving spotlight to another hat designer other then Treacy or Stephen Jones. This one is from Scotland.

I don't mind the accessories. You don't have to be matchy matchy.

Not her best look on the trip but still a good showing.

The color is amazing on her but the fit is off. It pulls across her chest, making her bra line visible and bunches up at the back. That to me is unforgivable for a garment of that pricetag. This ain't Fashionnova, it should fit.

The color is amazing on her but the fit is off. It pulls across her chest, making her bra line visible and bunches up at the back. That to me is unforgivable for a garment of that pricetag. This ain't Fashionnova, it should fit.

I wonder if the Duchess was unable to make it to the Wickstead atelier for a fitting because of limited time in London, and the dress had to be made up using measurements emailed from Canada.

Love the colour, but not the cape like thing.
Even the fascinator is lovely.
But why the nude shoes with a black bag?

Love the colour, but not the cape like thing.
Even the fascinator is lovely.
But why the nude shoes with a black bag?

The bag was actually some weird dark green/teal color while the shoes were nude and the netting over the fascinator appeared to be both green and black. That’s why I said above that I really thought both bag and shoes should have been black with the nude and dark green/teal left out entirely.

I wonder if the Duchess was unable to make it to the Wickstead atelier for a fitting because of limited time in London, and the dress had to be made up using measurements emailed from Canada.

That does seem entirely possible but it seems like a big risk to run when Wickstead is known for fit issues and this was their last royal appearance and it’s a big one for an important event where she was clearly trying to show herself at her very best.

Last edited by a moderator:
The green is a lovely color. I don't mind the hat even with the netting. The fit on the dress was really bad. I didn't think the cape thing was executed well. In a couple of pictures outside, it almost looked like it was strangling her due to the wind. I think the nude heels were a mistake. A black bag and shoes would have been a more elegant choice. As with Kate, I was left feeling disappointed.

In the clips, and photos her maquillage seems very heavy [for Daytime].

I love green and this dress was fantastic except the bust part which was a little bit ill fitting.

A jewel of an outfit. The colour, dress and hat are gorgeous on Meghan.

In some shots the cape looks uncomfortable... almost like a misbehaving super hero cape.
Prince Harry, clearly emotional, looks smart in the mid navy with a lining that complements Meghan.
I especially like his pale tie.

Color is fine but fit is indeed terrible both front and back. Not a big fan of the design either but it's at least something 'different' which is nice.

I don't like this at all. It's old-looking and doesn't fit - it bunches up all over the place. I get the retro vibe, but it doesn't flatter her at all.

What interests me is that, the whole time she was in the UK before the Canada trip in November, she was so often wearing designers from everywhere but the UK. I mean she wore some UK designs, but lots of her important clothes were from French or other fashion houses. It was a point of contention. Now, with this last visit, she's wearing all UK all the time. Why couldn't she have done this before? it would have stifled one point of criticism, and as we can see, she can look wonderful in UK labels.

The dress is nice - great colour, but that's about it.
The cape is weird and the fascinator is horrid. Very "grandma":ohmy:

Another too tight dress. She looks strangled by the cape thing.

I don't like this at all. It's old-looking and doesn't fit - it bunches up all over the place. I get the retro vibe, but it doesn't flatter her at all.

What interests me is that, the whole time she was in the UK before the Canada trip in November, she was so often wearing designers from everywhere but the UK. I mean she wore some UK designs, but lots of her important clothes were from French or other fashion houses. It was a point of contention. Now, with this last visit, she's wearing all UK all the time. Why couldn't she have done this before? it would have stifled one point of criticism, and as we can see, she can look wonderful in UK labels.

I couldn't agree more. I think the dresses are too tight but she looks nice overall. I like her hat and shoes. She looks very elegant. I would love to be a fly to see what really goes on there between the family.

I do wonder if the drastic changes in her clothing might have something to do wort that theory that’s gone around that she uses her clothing to signal her mood. I believe she wrote something of the sort on her old blog. Basically lots of darks and neutrals (and probably designers other than UK) when she’s unhappy and stressed, etc. but bright and cheerful (and maybe from UK designers?) when she’s happier.

Last edited:
I do wonder if the drastic changes in her clothing might have something to do wort that theory that’s gone around that she uses her clothing to signal her mood. I believe she wrote something of the sort on her old blog. Basically lots of darks and neutrals (and probably designers other than UK) when she’s unhappy and stressed, etc. but bright and cheerful (and maybe from UK designers?) when she’s happier.

Then she was mostly unhappy from the time of her engagement, as she rarely wore a bright color. I remember only a handful in 2 years time.

I have a feeling (and nothing more than that) the muted colours served to not upstage others. Now that they have let the firm there's not need for that. But then again, I might be wrong.

Then she was mostly unhappy from the time of her engagement, as she rarely wore a bright color. I remember only a handful in 2 years time.

To be perfectly honest, I don't really find that hard to believe.

I have a feeling (and nothing more than that) the muted colours served to not upstage others. Now that they have let the firm there's not need for that. But then again, I might be wrong.

I'm not sure any of us will ever really know the whole reasoning behind the dark and muted colors of the last two to three years and the bright and cheerful colors we're seeing now. It's a drastic and dramatic shift, that's certain. However, in my own opinion, it's highly unlikely that she was attempting to not upstage any of the other members of the RF. In fact, I distinctly remember saying more than a year ago that rather than taking the focus off of herself she was actually putting the focus on herself because her clothing choices were so different from those that we normally see from the ladies of the RF. By continuing to insist on dark, drab, muted colors even when they were all in bright and cheerful colors it ensured that people would comment about how she was standing out or apart from the rest, how her choices are so different, etc. Now, whether that was the intent or not I really have no idea but the drastic change this week definitely tells me that there's some sort of subliminal messaging or signalling in it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom