Charles III: Coronation Information and Musings - Part 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Charles III: Coronation Musings and Information

If the tiara rumors are true, then there are two likely scenarios -

1) working royals only - Kate, Anne, Sophie, Brigitte & Alexandra - that would be the lesser of ostentatious displays of wealth that seems in line with what Charles is aiming for with the coronation. It would, of course, irk the likes of Meghan and Andrew on his daughters' behalf, though I sincerely doubt either Bea or Eug would be too bothered, and maybe also Marie-Christine, but I can't see Zara or Louise being any more bothered than their first cousins; it would also fit with the dress code that has apparently been given to foreign royals.

2) any adult woman who is the daughter, daughter-in-law, granddaughter, or granddaughter-in-law of a monarch will be in a tiara - Kate, Meghan, Anne, Sophie, Zara, Beatrice, Eugenie, Louise, Sarah Chatto, Brigitte, Alexandra, and Marie-Christine (and, of course, Katharine Kent if she attends, which is highly unlikely) - this seems less likely and the only way I can see this happening is if Harry & Andrew kicked up such a fuss that Charles relented and said "fine, all the adult women in the RF can wear a tiara."

If I were Marie-Christine and Charles banned me from wearing a tiara, I would show up in my biggest tiara and diamonds. “Outfit malfunction”

Jokes apart, I think any woman who has access to a tiara can wear it. Bea, Eugenie and Zara wore tiaras at their weddings, why should they be banned from wearing one again? It’s just private jewels.

1) working royals only - Kate, Anne, Sophie, Brigitte & Alexandra - that would be the lesser of ostentatious displays of wealth that seems in line with what Charles is aiming for with the coronation. It would, of course, irk the likes of Meghan and Andrew on his daughters' behalf, though I sincerely doubt either Bea or Eug would be too bothered, and maybe also Marie-Christine, but I can't see Zara or Louise being any more bothered than their first cousins; it would also fit with the dress code that has apparently been given to foreign royals.

I didn't follow the discussion closely and I probably missed it, what's the dress code for foreign royal you mentioned?:flowers:

If I were Marie-Christine and Charles banned me from wearing a tiara, I would show up in my biggest tiara and diamonds. “Outfit malfunction”

Jokes apart, I think any woman who has access to a tiara can wear it. Bea, Eugenie and Zara wore tiaras at their weddings, why should they be banned from wearing one again? It’s just private jewels.

I think in that case the problem for Beatrice and Eugenie could be that they don't own a tiara and their mother only has one, if she still has it. Marie-Christine has 2 tiaras who are owned by her husband and Zara's mother has also several tiaras, but Beatrice and Eugenie would need to borrow one from their uncle.

Meghan won't be there so that is one less HRH to decide whether they need a tiara for or not.

I didn't follow the discussion closely and I probably missed it, what's the dress code for foreign royal you mentioned?:flowers:

No one knows. There has been no dress code confirmed for foreign or British royals by the Palace.

I'm a little surprised that Harald and Sonja aren't attending given how close they were to QE2 and are to Charles but I guess with Harald's mobility issues it makes sense - especially with Daisy and Silvia not going either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a little surprised that Harald and Sonja aren't attending given how close they were to QE2 and are to Charles but I guess with Harald's mobility issues it makes sense - especially with Daisy and Silvia not going either.

I didn't expect to see King Harald given his recent ill health,its a shame but like the Danish queen very understandable.

But isn’t it tradition that reigning monarchs don’t attend funerals anyway? Sure someone has mentioned that on here. I imagine a coronation is much like a wedding, alot of fuss and waiting around, alot of money for something which is a very simple ceremony at its centre.

According to Gert's Royals the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg will be attending:
"The Luxembourg Palace has confirmed to me via email that Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa will attend the coronation of King Charles next month."

BBC unveils special coverage and programming to mark Coronation of His Majesty The King and Her Majesty The Queen Consort.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2...y-the-king-and-her-majesty-the-queen-consort/

Last edited by a moderator:
well if royals dont attend each other's coronations or inaugurations -

But isn’t it tradition that reigning monarchs don’t attend funerals anyway?
Quite a few reigning Monarchs attended the funeral of the late Queen Elizabeth II,however QEII did not attend foreign Royal Funerals with the exception of King Baudouin in 1993.

Examples
The Duke of Edinburgh represented the Queen at the Funeral of King Frederick IX of Denmark, 1972
The Duke of Edinburgh represented the Queen at the Funeral of Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden, 1973
The Princess of Wales represented the Queen at the Funeral of Princess Grace in 1982
The Prince of Wales represented the Queen at the Funeral of Olav V of Norway in 1991
The Duke of York represented the Queen at the Funeral of Rainier III of Monaco in 2005.

Last edited:
I think there was a kind of primitive reasoning, that Royals should not be around death, and so a trend arose of the monarch not attending funerals except in rare circumstances. Since the 20th C, that has faded away and now more of them do so. However the queen being a traditionalist, probably clung to the old ideas.

It was a tradition it seems but one the British have now seemingly done away with. A number of sovereigns were present at the Japanese enthronement ceremonies. Yes if the organisers expected no reigning Kings or Queens then fair enough, it seems now that is not the case and every reigning family could send their reigning King/Queen. I wonder if part of the "old rule" wasn't also that most coronations meant a long amount of travelling, whereas now in our much more connected world a King/Queen can jump on a plane and be there in a few hours and return straight after if needed.

I am also very surprised to not see Harald going given that he is the closest related Foreign monarch to the british royals and provenly close to them on a personal level…

The only reason i can think about is that he doesn’t feel fit enough to do it…

I would imagine Queen Sonja is on ”standby” if Crown Princess Mette Marit has to drop out if she has a bad period with her lung fibrosis…

Last edited:
Has there been confirmation from the Belgian,Dutch or Luxembourg courts?
The Dutch RF are receiving President Macron for a State Visit at the moment. I suspect any anouncement will come after he leaves.

But isn’t it tradition that reigning monarchs don’t attend funerals anyway? Sure someone has mentioned that on here. I imagine a coronation is much like a wedding, alot of fuss and waiting around, alot of money for something which is a very simple ceremony at its centre.

Of course, I meant coronations:lol:

Maybe it has already been discussed, but will coronets be worn by anyone at the Coronation?

Maybe all those IMO remarkable absence of reigning monarchs could be a tit-for-tat response for C and W not attending Constantine' s funeral...

Maybe all those IMO remarkable absence of reigning monarchs could be a tit-for-tat response for C and W not attending Constantine' s funeral...
I don't see that at all. King Harald and Queen Margrethe are both old and have health issues. Also even if they didn't why would they stay away when Queen Anne-Marie seems to be going.

I can't see the link at all.

> The GRF are clearly not upset, and the Greek Queen, Crown Price & Princess will all attend the coronation.

> Daisy is clearly recuperating and Harald has been been quite unwell.

I've read that the Greek isn't confirmed yet and some sources say it would be just AM and pavlos

Mobility issues aside , King Harald and Queen Margrethe are sticking with tradition by not attending the coronation of a fellow reigning monarch. I am on the contrary surprised that other monarchs have departed from tradition and will attend, as they did also in Tokyo at the Japanese enthronement.

I though King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia had also been invited or was that just media speculation?

It is a break with tradition alltogether that a Reigning Monarch attends a Coronation in the UK,regardless where from.

I've read it will just be Anne-Marie and Pavlos but that doesn't mean there is any issue.

Let's be honest, for ages none of us expected foreign Kings or Queens to attend and so far we have (we think) CG of Sweden, Anne-Marie (likely), Felipe & Letizia and rumoured the Grand Duke & Grand Duchess of Luxembourg. I don't think there is anything we can read into it. Those that aren't attending have good reasons:

Silvia is going by the same precedent she set out for the Japanese enthronement believing it more useful/ appropriate for the Crown Princess to attend

Daisy has cancelled a host of royal duties to her back operation and recovery including her summer cruise, there is no way with all that in mind she could hop on a plane and attend numerous hours long events

Harald and Sonja, yes the one I am most surprised by but Harald has been on crutches for a long time now and his health isn't great. With that in mind it seems fair to say he doesn't feel up to a weekend of full on long events. I'm a bit surprised Sonja didn't attend with Hakon (nice mirroring ofCG and Victoria) but I can 100% see her feeling if Harald isn't going she wouldn't go. Plus it sets a united theme from Scandinavia, heirs in attendance.

I expect we will see the Dutch King and Queen, the Spanish King and Queen, the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, the Belgian King & Queen and maybe ever Kings & Queen for further afield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom