The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 8: April 2012 - June 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure Kate didn't just arbitrarily choose red to wear; I'll bet she was in consultation with the Queen or the Palace for color choice. And, yes, once on that boat, the Queen was definitely the focal point in white.

Last edited:
I don't think she did once they were on the boat, which was mainly RED. The Queen stood out in her wonderful white outfit

Mum has an answer to that. :lol:

Because Camilla was wearing cream she thought that for people in the distance, the two ladies might be mistaken.

Mum has now poured herself a glass of wine and is calming down. !! :D

Aw, tell your Mum that the Queen must have approved Camilla and Kate's choices of color!

Aw, tell your Mum that the Queen must have approved Camilla and Kate's choices of color!

I will. ! Although mum is 80 years old she has kind of "adopted" The Queen and Prince Philip since they visited here last year. :lol:

:previous:My mom is 89 and was glued to the event as well. She said she's also recording for me!

As cepe pointed out, the TV here said that the reason the Queen wore white, instead of one of the really bright strong colours she usually wears to ensure she can be spotted in a crowd, was because most of the barge's furnishings were in red, gold and purple. So, white was chosen as the most likely colour to cut through all that.

In wearing red, you could say Kate was ensuring that the Queen and Camilla could be spotted most easily.

It was a shrewd color choice given the color scheme of the barge, so while Kate may have looked prominent in her color off the boat, once aboard she blended more in the background. Who would have thought that wearing red would make you fade into the woodwork?;)

Last edited:
I also thought Camilla's cream was not a good idea next to HM's white.

So VERY impressed w/DUE posture. Shows what a liftetime of exercise and attention to posture will do. Wish Kate (and the rest of us) would learn a little from him so she could be as straight at 90!

Breffney and Baronness I envy you your mothers! Mine would have been younger than the Queen, and she would have enjoyed this occasion as well, and would have no scarcity of comments!

Last edited:
Loved Catherine's outfit, today. Red is such a jubliant, rich color and it is very becoming on her with her dark hair.

As far as she was concerned, Kate, by wearing bright red today, shone out like a bright beacon in the dark. Mum felt that she shouldn't have drawn so much attention to herself on what was The Queen's Day. She should have worn a more muted colour and thus allow The Queen to stand out.

Don't go shooting my mum because you know, although I really liked Kate's outfit, I think mum has a point. !

It's interesting that you should say so. For that was my initial reaction to Catherine's outfit as well. Wow, I thought. Beautiful. But it made me very curious about what the Queen would wear to outshine her? (Normally it's the queen's privilege to be the "peacock".)

And then Camilla in that goldish tone - boring! But then I saw the Royal Barge which was the backdrop for Camilla and Catherine today. They both completely disappeared beneath the red and golden decoration while Her Majesty stood out. Well done, YRH! While both Camilla and Catherine gave the photographers what they needed (some surely stunning pics of Catherine with William and Camilla with Charles), they did nothing in the environment to deflect the attention from the queen. WOW!

Last edited:
Great look for Kate today.Dress is gorgeous particularly the top part.I love the neckline.
shoes are great
Nice hairdo

Kate looked stunning! I think the shoes would've been nicer in a matching shade of red, though. :wub:

Duchessmary said:
Kate looked stunning! I think the shoes would've been nicer in a matching shade of red, though. :wub:

I think red shoes would have been too matchy. I like the nude shoe look, very elegant.

I'm glad she didn't wear any navy and white, or a dress with boats or anchors on it. I really don't like themed clothing; to me it's just cliche and naff. Although, incorporating local emblems, like the maple leaf in Canada, can work.

dazzling said:
Looks like a Anya Hindmarch clutch.

It does,but apparently it is a modified skull clutch from Alexander McQueen (modified to remove the skull and replace with a jeweled clasp

www.whatkatewore.com

EIIR said:
I'm glad she didn't wear any navy and white, or a dress with boats or anchors on it. I really don't like themed clothing; to me it's just cliche and naff. Although, incorporating local emblems, like the maple leaf in Canada, can work.

I agree... I think that was more a thing of the 80s associated more with Diana's style. although jewelry tends to transcend that cliche, I don't recall whose wedding gift it was... Could have been Queen Mary, QEQM or even maybe Elizabeth & Phillip... But i seem to recall a diamond anchor brooch as a wedding gift... That may have been appropriate today.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Catherine looked stunning in the red dress and hat. The color choice was a good one, because as others have stated, she blended in with the decor of the barge, which was most likely the point of wearing such a shade of red. She didn't take away from Her Majesty, but the pictures of just her and William were definitely stunning. She looked elegant.

Catherine looked just lovely today and I really liked her hat. The accessories were a wonderful choice as well... the clutch and the tartan wrap especially!

I liked her hat as well; certainly not oversized. And I noticed how much her hair got wavier in the dampness and rain.

That would explain why it takes her and her hairdresser so long to blow-dry her hair! It is obviously naturally curly and it takes lots of patience to dry it straight and then have to style it.. :)

I actually thought her hair looked more beautiful as the elements worked on it!

Last edited:
I haven't seen the footage of the flotilla yet! *sigh* I don't know why I have missed it. :(

I thought the red on Kate was a bit of a standout until I saw the barge - red, red, red. Kate just faded into the background while the Queen in white stood out, which was completely appropriate. Kate also made sure to stand further towards the back. Kate is not the type to draw attention to herself.

As for the color, I agree that no royal lady just turns up in a color without prior approval and/or direction from the Queen. All the royal ladies, except for Queen and Camilla, were in navies and red. Eugenie had a cream coat but she was not on the same platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom