The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 24: October 2018 - January 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have skinny jeans and a lot of leggings that I wear constantly. Mostly leggings as they're just so comfortable. I'm in my 60s too and see many women dressed similar to myself as I go out and about. I just have a natural abhorrence for baggy pants. :D

I am pretty sure they are worn in the U.S. ...I rarely see them here though...and yoga pants as day wear is another thing I don't care for ...I see some of that here.

LaRae

She certainly looked nice and very, very appropriate for the occasion but I'm just not a huge fan of that magenta color. I love the black tights and maybe I'd like the outfit better if she swapped the suit jacket out for a black sweater or turtleneck. I've never been a big fan of the peplum style but it does work well with her body type. Some of her peplum pieces are, in my opinion, more attractive than others and this one just isn't one of my favorites. I love the shoes but I'm not sure they work well with this outfit. This seems to me to be call for her black suede high heels which are beautiful with the black tights.

Overall she looked nice but this is one of those rare outfits of hers that just really aren't my cup of tea.

Oooh, I love that colour!!!

Why are stockings called tights? I wear stockings in the summer, barely there shade and I love them. They make wearing heels feel better on my feet and colored stockings/tights in the winter for warmth. This is the norm here and I think it is also makes a woman more comfortable knowing nothing is going to be shown to the world. I just can't remember bare legs anywhere except in the deep heat of summer in shorts or swim wear .........Catherine in those dark tights looked great and I bet they were welcome in this weather...and nothing was ever going to be shown in that suit for darn sure.

Why are stockings called tights? I wear stockings in the summer, barely there shade and I love them. They make wearing heels feel better on my feet and colored stockings/tights in the winter for warmth. This is the norm here and I think it is also makes a woman more comfortable knowing nothing is going to be shown to the world. I just can't remember bare legs anywhere except in the deep heat of summer in shorts or swim wear .........Catherine in those dark tights looked great and I bet they were welcome in this weather...and nothing was ever going to be shown in that suit for darn sure.

I'm in the midwest and to be honest, I rarely ever wear hose or tights other than in the winter for the warmth. If I remember correctly, I was always taught that the difference was that hose are much thinner whereas tights are thicker and therefore warmer. In our neck of the woods it's actually fairly uncommon to see anyone younger than 60 wearing hose/tights other than for the warmth in the winter and then they tend to be black or a dark shade like Catherine is wearing them here. No hose or tights required for the warmer months of the year even with heels and dresses.

Not a fan of the skinny jeans from yesterday. I don't think they're appropriate for a future Queen.

She looks great in the magenta dress today, but I do wish the future queen would stick with British designers/brands.

Thanks for the replies about skinny trousers Osipi & Pranter. It's about 10 years since I visited the US (I used to come over quite often) so I'm out of touch with everyday fashions there.

Someone asked about the name tights versus stockings. Here, stockings are just legs ( so two individual pieces) & tights are all one piece. The thickness doesn't affect the name. So people could be wearing stockings rather than tights & we wouldn't know unless their skirt were short & we could see the stocking tops or suspenders. I assume royal women are wearing tights rather than stockings for most outfits but with long skirts, we'll never know!

that Oscar de la Renta outfit looked stunning; Kate looked great.

When I was growing up tights were tights just like in the U.K. ..a thicker material used for warmth. Hose (that's the more common use here..stocking is not really used) were the thin version seen when someone is wearing a dress etc, and usually flesh colored.

LaRae

In Portugal we use the french name collants to say tights. We don't have variants like Hose or Stockings, just collants. To distinguish, we just say thick collants, or thin collants. Collants are the full version. The ones with the feet open we call Leggings, and most of them are used as jeans, while collants are used with dresses and skirts.

I like Catherine with dark colored thick tights. I always thought that it makes a woman's legs so elegant.

(..)

As for the discussion on stockings/hose/tights, I'm throwing another term in the mix here. All my life I've never referred to the old term of "silk stockings" as anything but a pair of nylons or panty hose. I've never wore a dress without them either. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: yesterday's skinny jeans/trousers
Are they a thing in the US & elsewhere or is it just here? I'm asking because lots of people on this forum seem to hate them but they're very popular here across the generations. Having said that, my mother at 88 wouldn't be seen dead in them & of course not everyone likes them but I wear them (in my 60s) as do all my friends & also my daughter does & all her friends. I think I've seen Kate's Mum in them too.

They are popular in the US. They are about all I wear when I wear jeans.

The discussion about the definition of "senior royals" has been deleted as off-topic. Thank you for your understanding!

I like Catherine's ensemble and the ruffled peplum it really gives her a very nice shape and, with the additions of the heavy denier pantyhose and dark shoes she looks like she has legs that go on forever.

It's nice to see her wearing items like this because unlike fast fashion, they don't date quickly and wear longer. But this one I love because it is just a tad edgy as with the addition of heavy denier pantyhose the hemline can be shortened, and of course, she did.

But, I'd especially like to give a shout out to her delicious handbag which gives the ensemble a whole new look than the last time she wore it with one of her ubiquitous clutches.

https://whatkatewore.com/wp-content...iters-feb-6-2017-Fall-2015-Runway-Montage.jpg

Thanks for the replies about skinny trousers Osipi & Pranter. It's about 10 years since I visited the US (I used to come over quite often) so I'm out of touch with everyday fashions there.

Someone asked about the name tights versus stockings. Here, stockings are just legs ( so two individual pieces) & tights are all one piece. The thickness doesn't affect the name. So people could be wearing stockings rather than tights & we wouldn't know unless their skirt were short & we could see the stocking tops or suspenders. I assume royal women are wearing tights rather than stockings for most outfits but with long skirts, we'll never know!

Here in the U.S. sheer hosiery with two legs and a panty attached are pantyhose. Tights are thicker--usually dark, sometimes colors, for grown women but in all colors for girls. I still wear pantyhose when I need to be dressed up--like for my niece's wedding in October, but won't with a sundress in the summer. I do wear pantyhose or tights in winter if I need to wear a skirt or dress.
I don't know how women can go bare legged when it is under 70 degrees F.:lol: I get cold looking at Meghan's bare legs with her coat on!

Skinny jeans are very much a thing here in the Midwest where I live. That's about all my daughter wears-she's in her 20s. She even convinced me I could sometimes wear them too.
I think Kate's skinny jeans are fine when she is doing a sporty or outdoor activity event.

Last edited:
Catherine looks lovely. It's a great color for her, and the style is fantastic on her.

Back to the skinny jeans: while Catherine looks great in them, I don't really like them for an engagement. The beautifully tailored trousers she wore on the pre-Christmas visit to Malta are more the kind of thing I think that would be appropriate. They would leave her room to move, bend over, etc., but still don't look overly casual. Just because you can wear something and look good in it doesn't mean it was the best choice.

Fantastic color and great bag.

But I hate the peplum style suit. And the black tights.

What a lovely non British design

Last edited:
I love the bag, shoes, color and fit of this outfit. But hate the style itself which just isn't landing for me.

To be honest, my previous comments were made from a front view. From the back the peplum seems too high and really sticks out thus exposing the flat top of the skirt and it's loose boxed pleats.

To be honest, my previous comments were made from a front view. From the back the peplum seems too high and really sticks out thus exposing the flat top of the skirt and it's loose boxed pleats.

I've just seen a front view; where did you see the back details? That does not sound good at all.

Here’s a short video showing the back- still looks very fine to me.

https://www.instyle.com/news/kate-middleton-oscar-de-la-renta-skirt-suit?amp=true

Thank you for posting that. I like the back view a bit less than the front, but I was expecting one of those jackets where there's a peplum in the front, but the jacket is cropped in the back, so this doesn't bother me all that much.

How envious I am of this engagement! All that beautiful fabric, and all those gorgeous costumes......sigh.

The Duchess of Cambridge attended the Sunday church service in Sandringham today, January 6, wearing her blue Catherine Walker coat:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** February 2018 ** February 2018 - 2 **

A very beautiful blue coat. She looks elegant.

The Duchess of Cambridge visiting King Henry's Walk Garden today, January 15, wearing a Dubarry jacket:

** Full view ** Full view 2 ** Upper part ** Upper part 2 **

I love the look. Beautiful jacket.

The Duchess of Cambridge in Oscar de la Renta visited the Costume Department at the Royal Opera House today, January 16:

** Full view ** Full view 2 ** Upper part ** February 2017 **

Absolutely beautiful dress. Divine outfit.

Oh well, I think it is one of the worst things she's ever worn. It is too small and too tight, from the rear, the peplum isn't long enough. She is long waisted and it doesn't cover it. Plus too fussy, too many pockets, pleats and ruffles. And, to top it off, black tights with heels! A real no no in my book. colored tights only for children.

And, to top it off, black tights with heels! A real no no in my book. colored tights only for children.

A much used look in Europe in the winter months: dark / black tights, and dark / black shoes, used by women of all ages. Perhaps things are done differently in your neck of the woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom