The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 13: April 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the thing though, I (and I'm sure many others) think she is dressing in a manner befitting her position. So what's Kate to do? There are always going to be those that think she hits it out of the ball park, and others that think she missed the mark. She is never going to please everyone with her style, and she'd go crazy trying.

Of course there are style tips that she should try and follow (weights in skirts, appropriate footwear for certain events), but the rest is pretty much down to personal style.

She was going to the beach, so I thought the dress suited the occasion. It may not have been everyone's cup of tea, but it was a proper length, everything was covered and she looked nice. Isn't that really all we ask of the royals? I mean, I'm not a fan of Princess Anne's style, but she looks fine for royal events.

Unless you're wearing flip flops, pretty much all shoes are a pain to wear on the beach. So I really don't have an issue with the wedges - not like I did when she was wearing them on a mountain.

As for the discussion about others wearing the white dress, I don't think it's irrelevant. The conversation was about how the dress was cute for a tween and not a 32 year old women. That's why it was pointed out that the dress has been worn by women Kate's age.

Last edited:
:previous: You think it's relevant that other women her age wear that dress, I think it's irrelevant. That's fine. I expect different things from a woman her age and in her position than you do; that's fine too. You are entitled to your opinion about this and everything else, just as I am to mine.

All anyone is doing on these forums, especially in the fashion threads where discussion is almost totally based on subjective criteria and personal likes and dislikes, is expressing their opinion. If everyone held the same opinion, the discussion would get very boring.

Catherine's Fashion and Style

I'd like to note that Catherine seems to serve as her own stylist. She's not a model where there is an anxious 'helper' standing just off stage to tweak her appearance. She's not on hire to present anything for sale. She's expected to be appropriately and attractively dressed, and she always is.

She doesn't poll before she selects a dress or a pair of shoes or a hairstyle. She doesn't dress like HM, and she shouldn't. She dresses like a lady, a young lady (although not in her very first youth, as the Victorian novels oft describe it).

Moreover, very few of her clothes are couture, and most, even the costly ones- to me, a day dress costing $500 is costly- are bought more or less off the rack. When her clothing is slightly imperfectly fitted, or marginally less stylish or fabulous than we might prefer, it really doesn't matter. She's not Queen, nor Princess of Wales, she's the wife of the heir to the heir. For the most part, her future subjects seem to be fond of her, some are quite enchanted by her, and a very few (not counting die-hard Republicans or DM commenters!) are fairly harshly critical.

She gets almost everything right, almost all the time. Her husband (and his family) seemingly adores her, she's poised and warm when she interacts with the public. The time will come when she is cossetted and hand-dressed by a dresser or lady's maid. and all her clothing will be made especially for her. By that time she will likely be a woman of late middle age who has no room for error in her appearance because her youthful loveliness will not be enough to carry her forward. But until then, she's fine, she's better than fine. As long as her feet are comfortable, it doesn't matter what her shoes look like. She'll make minor fashion errors, but she's avoided major faux pas.

I intend to enjoy her for who and what she is. And of course everyone is entitled to her/his own opinion.

:previous: Thank you ladongas. Yours is an outstanding post and I agree 100%. She is learning her craft as a royal and learning it well. She has not caused any offense in her royal duties. She does dress appropriately and no one can expect her fashion choices to please all of the people all of the time

I have a question. Is there not a tall girl line of clothes in the UK. Here in the US they are about an inch longer in the waist and 2 inches longer in the skirt. Based on Kate's height, I think they would fit her much better.

:previous: You think it's relevant that other women her age wear that dress, I think it's irrelevant. That's fine. I expect different things from a woman her age and in her position than you do; that's fine too. You are entitled to your opinion about this and everything else, just as I am to mine.

All anyone is doing on these forums, especially in the fashion threads where discussion is almost totally based on subjective criteria and personal likes and dislikes, is expressing their opinion. If everyone held the same opinion, the discussion would get very boring.

Never said you weren't entitled to your opnion. I was expressing mine.

Kate's wearing a dress from L.K. Bennett London for today's engagements.

Last edited:
Quote by Ladongas: No. 305

Now that is the *Very Best Comment* on Catherine's clothing I have read yet! You sure hit that out of the ball park..................She is still a young new wife, now mother and in a very public demanding position who can not please all the people all the time and never will. I give her lots of credit for what she is doing and how she has managed so far...........darn if any of us would walk in her shoes for 1 day of this tour and shakes all the hands and smile (even when you don't feel like it), eat whatever is given to you, drink whatever, and wanting to be with her baby at times, darn, I honestly don't think I could do it.......she has spunk, she is her own person and as for her hair.........all babies, people at times need a security blanket which could be a blanket, a bottle(heaven knows what's in some bottle of adults, a pillow, a certain token, anything) maybe her hair down is her way of still saying I am Kate/Catherine and maybe her hubby really likes her hair down and she does it to please him, not us! She has shown a great deal more of self confidence, more awareness, more warmth this time around, why, because now she is growing into this position and feeling more comfortable with who she is..............I love her just the way she is, hair, shoes, and her own style!

Wow, best look so far. Far superior to her to the yellow ensemble she wore on arrival. Love her hair (it's nice to see her face and earrings clearly) and the squared neck of her dress is very flattering. Her shoes and clutch are a perfect match.

http://resources1.news.com.au/image...4089-e152c318-c76b-11e3-9484-00a97bf135c7.jpg

http://37.media.tumblr.com/815c5d545ceb0de47fc04951bf0a539e/tumblr_n499qmg4VW1r7ym57o1_1280.jpg

The colour and poppy print of the dress is both cool and bright in a very attractive style which would be relatively easy for anyone in the crowd to spot.

Kate's wearing a dress from L.K. Bennett London for today's engagements.

Im not fond of the this dress. It seems quite stiff which I don't like but I do like how bright it is which is perfect for spring/summer.

There were at least two other 'official' ladies there wearing blue dresses which matched the blue of Kate's dress quite well. Can I take it that blue is the hot shade for this spring/summer?

:previous: Erm . . . we're heading into winter in the Southern Hemsiphere.

I like that dress and the rest of her look today. Very attractive and suitable for the lovely warm weather.

Wow, best look so far. Far superior to her to the yellow ensemble she wore on arrival. Love her hair (it's nice to see her face and earrings clearly) and the squared neck of her dress is very flattering. Her shoes and clutch are a perfect match.

http://resources1.news.com.au/image...4089-e152c318-c76b-11e3-9484-00a97bf135c7.jpg

http://37.media.tumblr.com/815c5d545ceb0de47fc04951bf0a539e/tumblr_n499qmg4VW1r7ym57o1_1280.jpg

The colour and poppy print of the dress is both cool and bright in a very attractive style which would be relatively easy for anyone in the crowd to spot.
I agree, for me together with the red suit the best outfit of the tour. The dress is very pretty.

Yes, I know. Just following the comment of the previous poster:

Im not fond of the this dress. It seems quite stiff which I don't like but I do like how bright it is which is perfect for spring/summer.

Yes, I know. Just following the comment of the previous poster:

That poster was me :)

The temperature today was 28c so its a perfect dress for that kind of weather
Yes, apparently blue is the new season shade.

The dress is sold out in both colors online. Kate effect works quite fast :)

Now that is one very beautiful young duchess there, she looks great, the dress is sooooo cute and fits really well, the purse and shoes and her earrings, very thing is perfect on her. And her hair looks nice pulled back to show her face, which is lovely. She has a nice shaped face and jaw line, one very beautiful lady! Not bad this time out on tour!:)

The poppy dress is absolutely gorgeous. She hit that one out of the park!

LaRae

Very lovely and appropriate look for Duchess! The hair is up, we can see her face, the dress can't be blown by wind and the whole design is elegant. Please continue like this Your Highness!

I like this look. The design draws attention to her waist and I like the shoes. I think she should wear her hair like this more often,. It is a simple, comfortable style that allows her to wear her hair long (which she obviously likes) but it doesn't distract from her face (or, more importantly to those of us who love earrings), the jewelry.

I'd like to note that Catherine seems to serve as her own stylist. She's not a model where there is an anxious 'helper' standing just off stage to tweak her appearance. She's not on hire to present anything for sale. She's expected to be appropriately and attractively dressed, and she always is.

She doesn't poll before she selects a dress or a pair of shoes or a hairstyle. She doesn't dress like HM, and she shouldn't. She dresses like a lady, a young lady (although not in her very first youth, as the Victorian novels oft describe it).

Moreover, very few of her clothes are couture, and most, even the costly ones- to me, a day dress costing $500 is costly- are bought more or less off the rack. When her clothing is slightly imperfectly fitted, or marginally less stylish or fabulous than we might prefer, it really doesn't matter. She's not Queen, nor Princess of Wales, she's the wife of the heir to the heir. For the most part, her future subjects seem to be fond of her, some are quite enchanted by her, and a very few (not counting die-hard Republicans or DM commenters!) are fairly harshly critical.

She gets almost everything right, almost all the time. Her husband (and his family) seemingly adores her, she's poised and warm when she interacts with the public. The time will come when she is cossetted and hand-dressed by a dresser or lady's maid. and all her clothing will be made especially for her. By that time she will likely be a woman of late middle age who has no room for error in her appearance because her youthful loveliness will not be enough to carry her forward. But until then, she's fine, she's better than fine. As long as her feet are comfortable, it doesn't matter what her shoes look like. She'll make minor fashion errors, but she's avoided major faux pas.

I intend to enjoy her for who and what she is. And of course everyone is entitled to her/his own opinion.

You hit the nail on the head here.

As for her dress, I think it's lovely.

Love the blue and white dress. The whole look is picture perfect and for once the hair looks terrific. :wub:

This outfit is stunning! I love blue and white combo's and have several for this summer. :flowers:

Second best look yet for me.

Love this last dress. It´s perfect. It fits well, has a good colour...the lenght of the skirt is good. I also like the shoes and the hair.

Well done Kate ;)

Beautiful pattern and flattering sheath style. This the second-best look for me after the red suit.

Love that blue and white dress. That shade of blue is gorgeous, and having just a dash of it against the white background makes it all the more enticing. Very flattering on her.

I LOVE the dress! She looks amazing, can't wait to see more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom