State Funeral of HM Queen Elizabeth II: 19 September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think this must be a matter of status. The Greek Royal Family is related to most royal houses including the British and Constantine II was still a monarch.
The same is true of the Bulgarian Royal Family. King Simeon II was still a monarch.
The same thing happened with the Romanian Royal Family when King Mihai lived. Currently, the Romanian Royal Family still has a semi-official role in their country.
The Serbian Royal Family also has a semi-official role in their country and they still live in their palaces.
It was also these non-reigning royal families who were invited to Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee in 2012.

CP Alexander was Elizabeth II's Godchild (as was Theodora of Greece) and HM Margareta was a Goddaughter of Prince Phillip (along with Philippos of Greece), so there is an additional connection to the bloodline. Georg Friedrich and Maria Vladimirovna are both descended from Queen Victoria, so the family relationship to them is closer than it is to Emanuele Filiberto and Archduke Karl.

Two poignant, little moments for me:

The procession of the ladies-in-waiting.

The older European monarchs joining in singing God Save The King.

Did they join in the singing? I had not noticed it. I don't think that would be appropriate, not least because the anthem is sung to King Charles III.

:previous:

On the BBC stream I saw the Badens coming in with the Dutch RF. The margravine and Pss Beatrix seemed to have a lot to chat about.

I read somewhere today that the ratings for the funeral in the UK were lower than those of the corronation 70 years ago -26 million against 27 who had watched the corronation, at an age where there hardly tv's in every household...
This strikes me as a surprise, especially given the shock that popular opinion suffered by the news of the Queen's demise..
How should one explain this? Should I try to read something out of it, or am I being hyperbolic...??

I wondered the same thing - as at some point it looked pretty gloomy out there. I wonder if there was a glass lid for the casket somewhere ?

My husband collects project plans - yes. I accept your sympathies. He has a number from airports - Dubai, World Cups ect. And he is writing to ask for a copy of the project plan for the Queen funeral as he wants to study it. He says it is a master class on co-ordination and agility. I have told him that I would have an easier task getting DNA samples.

;) And you shall have my sympathy Claire. I also agree that you'd have an easier task getting DNA samples than the project plan for QEII's funeral. .

I read somewhere today that the ratings for the funeral in the UK were lower than those of the corronation 70 years ago -26 million against 27 who had watched the corronation, at an age where there hardly tv's in every household...
This strikes me as a surprise, especially given the shock that popular opinion suffered by the news of the Queen's demise..
How should one explain this? Should I try to read something out of it, or am I being hyperbolic...??

I have to wonder if this was for the regular TV services. Consider how many people (like myself) who viewed this on a streaming service.

TV viewership has been on the decline for years. Despite houses often having one in every room.

I wouldn’t read anything into it. Loads of people watched it on big screens, events , on the street, streaming etc. It’s had the largest viewership of anything ever.

I am glad to see that some of Prince Philip's relatives from Germany attended. They are also related to Queen Elizabeth II.

Last edited:

Totally anecdotal evidence over here, but I don't know anyone, myself included, who watches TV on a TV anymore. Any programming I watch nowadays is streaming services. I even watch the news online. That's how I watched everything around QEII's funeral. I don't like the talking heads our news channels have on, especially since they wouldn't know their behinds from their elbows, so I preferred to watch UK TV instead, where at least Alastair Bruce knows what the heck he's talking about.

I imagine for a lot of people in the UK, it's the same thing. You can take your laptop or your phone or your tablet with you when you move around, rather than having to be fixed in front of a television.

Totally anecdotal evidence over here, but I don't know anyone, myself included, who watches TV on a TV anymore. Any programming I watch nowadays is streaming services. I even watch the news online. That's how I watched everything around QEII's funeral. I don't like the talking heads our news channels have on, especially since they wouldn't know their behinds from their elbows, so I preferred to watch UK TV instead, where at least Alastair Bruce knows what the heck he's talking about.

I imagine for a lot of people in the UK, it's the same thing. You can take your laptop or your phone or your tablet with you when you move around, rather than having to be fixed in front of a television.

I saw it on the BBC, direct telecast, no ads & professional no nonsense presenters with a knowledge of British royal history.

Those figures don't include streaming services and a lot of people watch via their computers these days.

There was also a lot of competition with other channels to watch. BBC had it on BBC2 and not on BBC1 which I found interesting.

I saw it on the BBC, direct telecast, no ads & professional no nonsense presenters with a knowledge of British royal history.

I found the BBC coverage often wrong in their knowledge. Much preferred Sky's coverage but for the funeral itself I went with a steam from the Royal Channel so I could watch it all without talking heads.

I think BBC said the viewership reached 32.5 million, which is the largest audience in the UK.

I found it strange that Emanuele Filiberto apparently got an Invitation as the Winsors and the Savois are not related. They same for the Habsburgs. The Prussian, Hannovers and many more are closer related

The current head of the House litterally was "in function" as last Crown Prince of Italy (son of King Umberto II). That puts him in the same league as Crown Prince Alexander of Serbia and Crown Prince Philippos of Greece (all there). Sadly Prince Vittorio Emanuele is hardly mobile these days, so Prince Emanuele Filiberto was to represent his father.

Former Kings (Umberto of Italy, Michael of Romania, Simeon of Bulgaria, Constantine of Greece) were/are treated as former Monarchs indeed, alike Queen Beatrix and King Juan Carlos.

Their sons, functional Crown Princes, are treated differently to a Georg Friedrich von Preußen, to a Maria Vladimirovna Romanova, to a Jean d'Orléans, etc. because the positions of the last ones litterally are by pretense only.

Then we have a twilight zone with Princess Margareta of Romania: she has an actual offical working Royal House inside the republican State structure and is a very dear friend to King Charles III.

Last edited:
Those figures don't include streaming services and a lot of people watch via their computers these days.

There was also a lot of competition with other channels to watch. BBC had it on BBC2 and not on BBC1 which I found interesting.

It was on BBC1, BBC2 and BBC News simultaneously from 8am - 5pm.

Yes, there was at least one person of color acting as pallbearer in Edinburgh, but not in London. It’s hard to believe a suitable bearer could not have been found. Racial healing occurs in various fashions, and representation at important events is one of them.
Missed opportunity.

You totally missed the point and search for problem where there isn't any.
The Queen's pallbearers came from the Queen’s Company, 1st Battalion, Grenadier Guards. Grenadier Guards are the British Army’s most senior infantry regiment and they traditionally provide the pallbearers at state funerals for all monarchs.
And when people carry the coffin/casket, it is crucial that they are of the same height, strength and body constituency. They are not chosen according to their skin color.

Posting here as the Pre-funeral thread is closed.

Masako attends queen’s funeral while making her health a priority | The Asahi Shimbun: Breaking News, Japan News and Analysis
[...]

It was expected that the four-day trip--including flights to and from Britain taking around 15 hours each way--would put a great strain on Masako, who has long been under medical treatment since being diagnosed with an adjustment disorder many years ago.

[...]

Prior to the state funeral, her aide said Masako tried to take care of herself through careful planning, as she does for other public duties, so she could attend the state funeral.

[...]

“(Masako) took a break that day (Sept. 18) to manage her health to ensure she could absolutely attend (the state funeral in good condition),” her aide said.

She also didn’t visit the queen’s coffin lying in state at Westminster Hall in London. Naruhito attended the reception and visited the queen's coffin.

[...]
Japan’s Emperor, Empress pay respects to Queen Elizabeth for 70 years of friendship with Imperial family - The Japan News (includes video of Emperor & Empress signing condolence book)
[...]

The current Emperor was warmly received by Queen Elizabeth like a family member while he was a college student in England from 1983 to 1985.

The queen and her husband, Prince Philip, invited him to Scotland, and he spent several days at Balmoral Castle, enjoying a barbeque and picnic on the estate and riding in a car driven by the royal couple, according to his aides.

Philip Corcos, 72, who taught English to the Emperor for three months while he was studying in England, expressed his appreciation that the Imperial couple attended the queen’s state funeral, saying the Emperor respected Queen Elizabeth very much.

Last edited:
I think Henry VIII's was uncovered many years later which is in another part of the same vault

Henry VIII's coffin and that of Jane Seymour,Charles I and a n infant son of Queen Anne and were rediscovered during works during the reign of George IV.

I was wondering, Diid any of The Queen's relatives on her mother's side attend?

They weren't mentioned, but I would think so. She was very close to some of her Bowes-Lyons cousins, so I would think that their children were invited.

They weren't mentioned, but I would think so. She was very close to some of her Bowes-Lyons cousins, so I would think that their children were invited.

I am sure I read that some of the Bowes Lyon relatives had been visiting very recently at Balmoral.

I think BBC said the viewership reached 32.5 million, which is the largest audience in the UK.

It is estimated that about 4,1 billion people worldwide watched the funeral , Diana's funeral was watched by approximately 2,1 billion. If the number is valid it would be the broadcast worldwide with the highest number of viewers ever.
In Germany 3 channels had the programme from 09.00 till 6.00 pm.
I watched on a big TV screen, better for my eyes than on a small laptop or PC.

I do, watching a TV broadcast is better for my eyes than watching an Internet stream.

People watching good old TV may be in heavy minority these days, but they haven't died. Watching TV still gives me the most impact, over Internet.

CP Alexander was Elizabeth II's Godchild (as was Theodora of Greece) and HM Margareta was a Goddaughter of Prince Phillip (along with Philippos of Greece), so there is an additional connection to the bloodline. Georg Friedrich and Maria Vladimirovna are both descended from Queen Victoria, so the family relationship to them is closer than it is to Emanuele Filiberto and Archduke Karl.

Yes, but Emmanuele Filiberto was also invited. Unfortunately, he tested positive for Covid. There may be a more personal relationship than we are aware of.

I did the same , I looked BBC 1
On Belgian and France TV such a lot of bla bla , and mistakes!

Two poignant, little moments for me:

The procession of the ladies-in-waiting.

The older European monarchs joining in singing God Save The King.

I didn't notice any of the European royals joining in the singing. It woudn't be right for them to sing another country's anthem.

The tune is the same as the Norwegian royal anthem.

Did any of the Lascelles relatives attend?
I would think that the Earl of Harewood was there, but he wasn't mentioned. If he was there, he wasn't seated with the Kents and Gloucesters.

For people who questioned why the Phillipses and Tindalls were in the front row, Palace sources said that it was purely based on age,

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...sedgntp&cvid=64b5c25dc66c4a6d92f74822d30656aa

so the three eldest grandchildren, and George and Charlotte so that they could sit with their parents, were in the front row.

Last edited:
The children sat in order of age - Charles - Anne - Andrew - Edward

The grandchildren went close to that as well - William, Peter and Zara with William first due to being the heir apparent but otherwise the first three

Second row - Harry - Beatrice - and then I think Louise and James behind their parents with Eugenie behind William with her mother as well

Rather than 'line of succession' or 'official precedence' it was simply age related and logic.

If George and Charlotte hadn't been there then Harry would have been in the front row as the fourth eldest grandchild.

Back
Top Bottom